AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 21:24   Link #3301
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
How come

Each anime's school uniform is different?
Because, in real life, each school actually DOES have its own unique uniform (mostly) in Japan. There's usually TWO uniforms, one for summer and one for winter. Everyone switches on the same calendar date.

Quote:
Nearly each anime has an episode where the characters go to a a hot water spring OR to the beach!
Two reasons
1) Its a common activity for many people in Japan. Also, romances are more likely while on holiday...
2) It provides an excuse to put the girls in cute swimsuits...

Quote:
Details of characters' families are obscure.
Dramas and comedies in ALL countries often suffer from the "characters live in a vacuum" problem... it takes more work and budget to build a realistic net of relatives.
Old 2009-11-17, 22:24   Link #3302
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Nearly each anime has an episode where the characters go to a a hot water spring OR to the beach!
Thats for pure fan-service , just to show panty and cleavage shots . Also to bring in ratings and please fandoms .

Quote:
Each anime's school uniform is different?
Different private schools have different uniforms and thats based on real life . Plus they have separate set of uniforms for summer and winter

Wiki

Old 2009-11-18, 00:29   Link #3303
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Because, in real life, each school actually DOES have its own unique uniform (mostly) in Japan. There's usually TWO uniforms, one for summer and one for winter. Everyone switches on the same calendar date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Different private schools have different uniforms and thats based on real life . Plus they have separate set of uniforms for summer and winter
To add a bit on this, there is even a junior high school here in my city that has a different pair of uniforms for every school year. It's the same design but with a different color.
Old 2009-11-18, 00:52   Link #3304
Tyss
Amateur Manga Artist

How do farmers plant seedless grapes?
Tyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 03:35   Link #3305
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyss View Post
How do farmers plant seedless grapes?
You cut off some cuttings from a parent tree and plant them. Kinda like cloning in a way.

Although some actually produce very small, unnoticeable berries which mean they're not really "seedless."
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 04:24   Link #3306
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Okay, 2nd row middle picture with the blue short skirt, what kind of socks are that D:
Karu wants~

Also how do they keep their socks up that high all the time, I have socks like that but after a week they start slipping down
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 05:30   Link #3307
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Okay, 2nd row middle picture with the blue short skirt, what kind of socks are that D:
Karu wants~

Also how do they keep their socks up that high all the time, I have socks like that but after a week they start slipping down
I had socks like that too. and with long arm to hand bands, were surprisingly comfortable., its not loose, it had garters.

After a week? You wear them for a week?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 06:22   Link #3308
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Glue.

No, really! Search for "sock glue" or go to a dance store to find some.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 10:06   Link #3309
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I had socks like that too. and with long arm to hand bands, were surprisingly comfortable., its not loose, it had garters.

After a week? You wear them for a week?
I wear knee high socks every day, ofc not an entire week with the same socks but usually on the 2nd day they start getting a little lose and after washing them one starts slipping and the other is soon to follow

I'll check out the sock glue then =)

I have another question now though, its about something I want to give my friend for Christmas but I don't know any good place to order it. I'm looking for the Saiunkoku novel vol. 1 to give to my friend, in English. I've never looked around for places where I could order English novels
Does anyone know a site? I don't use credit cards so that option is a no go, no Amazon then for me =P I use paypal though
Old 2009-11-18, 15:15   Link #3310
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Last question: what is your bust size?
I was looking at clothing on ebay and some clothes have like bust: 82 CM (a dress I saw had this measurement)
Now my question is cause me and my mom were a little confused about this, is it measured over your breasts or right below them.. cause really 82 cm is and then over your breasts.. you'd need chicken fillet breasts for that D: it would make more sense if it was right below cause then it would fit
Old 2009-11-18, 16:42   Link #3311
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
I have another question now though, its about something I want to give my friend for Christmas but I don't know any good place to order it. I'm looking for the Saiunkoku novel vol. 1 to give to my friend, in English. I've never looked around for places where I could order English novels
Does anyone know a site? I don't use credit cards so that option is a no go, no Amazon then for me =P I use paypal though
Is your friend near you, or within mailing distance? Most decent-sized bookstores will be more than happy to order a book for you. Some will even have it shipped to your house.

You might consider a pre-paid card for online purchases. You generally have to be 18 to buy one, but if you aren't a parent can do it for you. Rates for some of these cards are ridiculous, but Wal-Mart now markets a pre-paid Visa card (backed by actual banking companies, of course) with very reasonable fees.

Quote:
Last question: what is your bust size?
I was looking at clothing on ebay and some clothes have like bust: 82 CM (a dress I saw had this measurement)
Now my question is cause me and my mom were a little confused about this, is it measured over your breasts or right below them.. cause really 82 cm is and then over your breasts.. you'd need chicken fillet breasts for that D: it would make more sense if it was right below cause then it would fit
Well, MY bust size is... Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were asking.

The bust size is measured over the the breasts/around the back at the point of greatest circumference. Measuring underneath the breasts is the band size/underbust/back measurement.

82cm doesn't seem terribly small. Consider that a European B cup is a difference of 14 - 16cm between the bust size and the band size. At said B cup, a bust size of 82cm means an underbust of 66 - 68cm (around 26 - 27"). That's definitely considered smaller these days, but quite within the realm of normality.

For reference, the Wikipedia article on brassiere measurements (useful for gleaning numbers for international measurement calculations like this):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement

Hm, this would not be my first overview of measuring for female clothing sizes here on AS. Why do I know this? Probably a combination of egotism and a severe interest in the subject matter.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2009-11-18, 18:22   Link #3312
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Kyuu, thanks for the measuring answers

And I found one =) there were some new ones on Ebay so yay~
Old 2009-11-18, 19:55   Link #3313
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Tnx vexx and Zu_Ra.

I was also confused about the socks in the picture.

Found an interesting article regarding Japanese school uniforms

http://japaniac.com/content.php?artid=10&pageno=1

Loose Socks
Loose socks are a type of sock that is popular among young Japanese girls.

They are nearly always white and are very long, in some cases up to almost 2 meters. They are usually worn below the knee, held up with an adhesive called sock glue and sock touch, and somewhat resemble leg warmers. Loose socks are often paired with skirts above the knee, with a pair of mary janes or loafers.

Some girls in junior high school and high school wear loose socks with their school uniforms. Certain schools forbid pupils to wear loose socks at school, so girls from these schools will often change into loose socks and wear them outside the school campus. It is common to see girls chnging socks in the street, on trains and in fast food restaurants.

Erm.. why do they think loose socks are fashionable is beyooooond me!
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 06:42   Link #3314
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Erm.. why do they think loose socks are fashionable is beyooooond me!
I think they're awesome though I wouldn't wear the super long ones. I have my eyes set on a pair that are 100CM but I like the legwarmers more

However imo it seems that those socks are fashionable and important because it gives a school uniform a more individual twist, changing your standard uniform to something that is you is very important there if I remember correctly, though not allowed always
Old 2009-11-19, 12:53   Link #3315
amjzz

Silly question:

Spoiler for Japanese otaku/anime words?.:
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 13:46   Link #3316
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Hm, this would not be my first overview of measuring for female clothing sizes here on AS. Why do I know this? Probably a combination of egotism and a severe interest in the subject matter.
... Translation: You like to cross-dress and want to look good in drags?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 14:39   Link #3317
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Silly question:

Spoiler for Japanese otaku/anime words?.:
As I understand it, "tsunwabi" is a one-off joke from episode five of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It might make more sense after watching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Translation: You like to cross-dress and want to look good in drags?
Actual translation: I hate being ignorant on any subject, and as the home of a Y chromosome, I have an appreciation for the female form. The natural result is an interest in studying how it is packaged and presented.

(Besides, I can't find a dress that matches my beard.)

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2009-11-19, 16:16   Link #3318
amjzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
As I understand it, "tsunwabi" is a one-off joke from episode five of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It might make more sense after watching that.
I see, so the word has no meaning outside the anime?. I saw the episode 5 and understood what they meant with that, but i wonder if the word has a meaning and if can be applied to other characters/animes.

Thanks for answer.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 17:42   Link #3319
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I know it's look silly to ask this here but, could someone suggest me some french and/or english poet ? I want to try a fews one but I don't know which ones to choose.
( For the french I already readed some work of Beaudelaire and Rimbaud and for the english Robert Browning, William Blake, Lord Biron and John Keath )
Old 2009-11-21, 09:59   Link #3320
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I know it's look silly to ask this here but, could someone suggest me some french and/or english poet ? I want to try a fews one but I don't know which ones to choose.
Could you be more specific? The pastoral poetry of William Woodsworth, for example, would be vastly different in tone and style to the war poems of Siegfried Sasoon. Personally, I liked a few of the poems by William Butler Yeats but, again, his poems are different in style and tone to Sasoon's, even though they often dealt with the same themes.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious