AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-08-03, 04:35   Link #1
koe1
Vi$ߣ_Me

speed problem

hi

a day ago i downloaded bit tornado and i thought it would have a faster download. so after i downloaded the program then set it to automatic for the setting. the speed ended up being 1~5kn/s for download and about 1kb/s for the upload. also i am using cable.
can anyone help me so my download speed would be faster.
koe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 06:00   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
What color is the bulb? Do you have any routers/firewalls?

What is the speed of your internet connection? If you don't know it, test it here.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 06:37   Link #3
koe1
Vi$ߣ_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_

What is the speed of your internet connection? If you don't know it, test it here.

the color of the bulb is yellow and i am with brodband internet. also i am not sure if i am behind any firewall or routers
Old 2004-08-03, 06:56   Link #4
koe1
Vi$ߣ_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_

the bulb is yellow and i have a broadband internet connection and i dont think i am behind any firewall or routers
Old 2004-08-03, 10:19   Link #5
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Yellow most likely means you are behind some kind of firewall.... If you click on the bulb it tells you what the status lights mean. Dont you see next to your modem another peice of equipment that splits the connection to other computers?
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 15:36   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Now that we know what your problem is we can start to help you. I'd suggest that you open up ports 6881-6889 on your firewall and on your router if you have one. When you can get a green light, you'll know that your ports are all open.

A router is a piece of hardware that your internet connection and your computer are both connected to. It forms a barrier between them. You can see it with your eyes, it probably has lights on the front of it. A firewall is a software barrier that starts up with your computer. You can probably see it indicated by an icon in your system tray. I'm afraid that I don't know much about disabling firewalls or routers other than my own, but there are several helpful threads you might be able to find in this sub-forum. Maybe some helpful soul will even chime in here now that they know the problem. You can also check out Fixing Firewalls at degreez.net because they give a lot of help for different firewalls and routers in that forum.

Also, Windows has a firewall built in that might be blocking you. This is hard to notice unless you know exactly what to look for. To check to see if it is enabled and/or get rid of it go to Network Connections on you Control Panel. Select your internet connection and right-click it. Click on Properties. On the window that comes up, click the properties button. Then a new window will appear so click on the Advanced tab. There is a checkbox which indicates if the firewall is enabled or not. To get rid of it simply make sure that it is unchecked. Since these instructions might be confusing I created a picture to illustrate the process of removing the WindowsXP Firewall. Click on the thumbnail for the full sized version:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 23:21   Link #7
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
thanks that link was really a lot of help sorted out my prob in 5 mins and i've been working on it for 2 days! and i thought i would never use bittorrent again
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 03:44   Link #8
koe1
Vi$ߣ_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Now that we know what your problem is we can start to help you. I'd suggest that you open up ports 6881-6889 on your firewall and on your router if you have one. When you can get a green light, you'll know that your ports are all open.

A router is a piece of hardware that your internet connection and your computer are both connected to. It forms a barrier between them. You can see it with your eyes, it probably has lights on the front of it. A firewall is a software barrier that starts up with your computer. You can probably see it indicated by an icon in your system tray. I'm afraid that I don't know much about disabling firewalls or routers other than my own, but there are several helpful threads you might be able to find in this sub-forum. Maybe some helpful soul will even chime in here now that they know the problem. You can also check out Fixing Firewalls at degreez.net because they give a lot of help for different firewalls and routers in that forum.

Also, Windows has a firewall built in that might be blocking you. This is hard to notice unless you know exactly what to look for. To check to see if it is enabled and/or get rid of it go to Network Connections on you Control Panel. Select your internet connection and right-click it. Click on Properties. On the window that comes up, click the properties button. Then a new window will appear so click on the Advanced tab. There is a checkbox which indicates if the firewall is enabled or not. To get rid of it simply make sure that it is unchecked. Since these instructions might be confusing I created a picture to illustrate the process of removing the WindowsXP Firewall. Click on the thumbnail for the full sized version:

Even BIGGER problem my bulb has now turn green and the d/l is onli about 40 something. is that normal or not?
because i ask my friends and they say their's goes at about 60~200kb/s
Do anyone know why?
Old 2004-08-04, 04:05   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It entirely depends on the torrent. A brand new Naruto torrent can make 100kB/s easily. On the other hand I am downloading Mahojin Gururu episode 8 right now and it is crawling at 5-10 kB/s.

It probably is more indicative of the torrent that you are downloading than a problem with your connection, but it is possible that you are choking your conneciton due to an upload bandwidth limit. If this is the case, then put a cap on your upload bandwidth at 90% of your maximum upload bandwidth and it would raise your download. If you don't have any idea how to do this, or what you should set your upload limit to, then download BitTornado and set it to automatic. That is the little drop-down window in the lower left which I am circling in this illustration.

Of course you may not need to do this at all, it depends on your connection. I'd try downloading a few torrents with a ton of ul/dl and see how that goes before you worry about it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-04, 04:31   Link #10
koe1
Vi$ߣ_Me

right now i am d/ling naruto festa 2004 and it has gone back ot the yellow bulb and is going at about 1kb/sec. i have cancelled my firewall and it is still yellow
Old 2004-08-04, 15:00   Link #11
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
It is your Hardware firewall giving problems then.
If it is a router firewall you should be able to open up ports on it to allow commication.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 03:12   Link #12
JtN__ViGkrn

hehe...thx a bunch for the link explanation.....now the connection is so fast that i can't even see the ethernet/act light as it is blinking so FAST....:P
Btw ...the estimated time...it shows something like this right
12min 43 seconds/2 hours 21 min 48 secs.....wat does it mean
 JtN__ViGkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 04:20   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

time elapsed/ estimated. That means the torrent has been running for 12minutes, 43 seconds and the program is guessing (badly) that it will be done downloading in another 2 hours, 21 minutes and 48 seconds. Note that the estimated time is rarely accurate since the download speed for BitTorrent (any client version) changes so much.

Old 2004-08-08, 20:35   Link #14
neko522

Send a message via AIM to neko522
Unhappy slow downloading

i have been downloading naruto 81-90 and its been takeing a long time. but i downloaded melody of oblivian and i was able to DL all 12 in 2 days. i know the naruto DL is large but it says its gonna take lke 40 hours to DL so i dont know if maybe i have it set wrong. also bishojo senshi live acton has been takeing a long time to DL one ep i was just wondering if anyone else is haveing the same problem abd if there is a way to make them faster im using dsl internet
neko522 is offline   Reply With Quote