AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-08, 09:09   Link #1521
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Gone and placed my order.

I'd only been thinking recently about rewatching this show, and now I can look forward to doing that once the DVDs arrive come November!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 16:45   Link #1522
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
*yawn*

Just finished the anime, after falling asleep countless times during the series. I forced myself to watch it, thinking something interesting might happen since it's yuri but, damn. This should barely be even labeled as Shoujo-ai.

The battles scenes and the plot were all forced. It didn't make that much sense and it's not that explained as well, some more flashbacks would have helped as to what happened 5 years prior. I also don't get the ending, at least I was suprised that Michiko was that old lady in the beginning of episode 1.

At least, now I know that I'll never watch a yuri anime with science fiction again.

It's also my 2nd time today watching an episode where, "You killed my parents, but I'll forgive you." *cough* Princess Lover *cough*
__________________

Last edited by Zwei; 2009-09-26 at 23:01.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 14:45   Link #1523
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I understand where Zwei is coming from, since the show didn't actually live up to my early hopes. But it was still a good show, in my opinion. Just because we didn't get intense yuri doesn't disqualify it from excellence. For me, the two main characters worked very well, especially as played by Yajima Akiko (Mari) and Sawashiro Miyuki (Hagino).

The only other sci-fi yuri show I can think of is Project ICE, but it's a lot more out-there than this. That show is bizarre, violent, confusing, and very entertaining, for me. But then again, I like David Lynch's Eraserhead, so your mileage may vary.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 18:32   Link #1524
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Roanapur
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I understand where Zwei is coming from, since the show didn't actually live up to my early hopes. But it was still a good show, in my opinion. Just because we didn't get intense yuri doesn't disqualify it from excellence. For me, the two main characters worked very well, especially as played by Yajima Akiko (Mari) and Sawashiro Miyuki (Hagino).

The only other sci-fi yuri show I can think of is Project ICE, but it's a lot more out-there than this. That show is bizarre, violent, confusing, and very entertaining, for me. But then again, I like David Lynch's Eraserhead, so your mileage may vary.
Now that is just my type of anime, ICE. I guess I can thank you for the "recommendation". I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even though it's a 3-episode OVA.
__________________
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 22:40   Link #1525
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Now that is just my type of anime, ICE. I guess I can thank you for the "recommendation". I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even though it's a 3-episode OVA.
I think I've seen a movie-length version around recently.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 00:39   Link #1526
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 26
Watched ICE a long time ago.. strangely enough it felt like a precursor to Blue Drop and the Arume.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 16:14   Link #1527
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
I just got watching this and I love it, one of the best animes I have watched this year, the story and art was well played and written, each episode felt like a movie, I had to keep checking the time on the file to make sure it was really 25 minutes because it felt so much longer.

The ending was really sad and I wish more, they should make a second series and third.

The sound track and intros was mind blowing, even through the series was slow, it was very much enticing.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 19:16   Link #1528
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Every time I watch the last episode for this series I keep thinking "ah, so this is how it ends for humanity ." A pretty good series overall.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 16:38   Link #1529
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: England UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Every time I watch the last episode for this series I keep thinking "ah, so this is how it ends for humanity ." A pretty good series overall.
Yeah I thought that, I was hoping she would had saved them, but in the end they still won, I really want more, they need to make more episodes.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 01:58   Link #1530
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Just finished this anime. I thought t was really good and very sad. They should really label this as tragedy. I know the lady at the end was Michiko, so in the end, what happened with Mari. Has there been any info on what happened with her in the years past?
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 23:56   Link #1531
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
A necro is a necro is a necro. In my defense though, at the time of this post, there were ~1530 posts and I read every single one. I'm keeping this post around because it reflects my very first thoughts after finishing the anime.

.

Great, great anime, in my opinion. The emotions involved, and the way the Japanese actors were able to deliver them, definitely struck a chord with me.

I was on the fence in the first couple of episodes, but by the end of the 2nd I was hooked for the long haul. I rolled my eyes at episode 7 (swimsuits; seems like every anime with female characters has to have a beach episode), but was pleasantly surprised at the direction they went. I actually didn't know this was a yuri themed anime until after I was done watching (I only knew it was a prequel regarding some war).

Hagino's crying as Mari went blank eyed, the "I love you" (followed by the hand holding to leave no doubt), the "goodbye" and Mari's running after Blue and both of them crying this time.. my heart can't take this kind of ache (and yes, I'm proud to get so immersed in things).

I think the truest gift any form of media can give you is to make you FEEL, and Blue Drop definitely made me feel.

So yeah.. no regrets on this anime.

With regards to the thread itself...

Definitely a lot of fascinating conversations and thought points.

A lot of people in this thread are pretty damned good at figuring out what's going to happen later on

..and a lot of people are really good at figuring out the subtleties in a show.

It was a grind.. but a fun grind!

Last edited by Asrial; 2014-08-15 at 03:43. Reason: Consolidation
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 05:45   Link #1532
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Since there were some posts about the lack of fan fiction (at the time)...

I'm normally not into fan fiction, but I've been in a pretty hardcore post Blue Drop information overload. You know, when you randomly come across something, find that you really like it, and then go scouring the internet for more content.

Anyways, I found this fan fiction by GreatWorksOfNothing (http://greatworksofnothing.tumblr.com/bluedrop) and I want to share it for those that are into it.

It's a story about Hagino and Tsubael set between the accident and Mari arriving at the school. What I like so much about it is that it's completely believable (for the most part), because it's not trying to change anything. Not like fan fiction that brings Hagino back somehow. Nothing wrong with that, but it feels a bit awkward because I prefer canon information. Anyways, I thought it was fun and I think it's worth a read, especially for Tsubael fans.

Below is a link to a .doc version I made. I edited things just slightly to fix certain grammatical issues, and typos, because that stuff bugs me as I read. I made sure to keep it to really basic stuff to preserve the author's intended flow.

Hopefully someone out there finds this useful and enjoys it like I did

Blue Drop, Pre-Story by GreatWorksOfNothing

Last edited by Asrial; 2014-08-15 at 03:43. Reason: Consolidation
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 04:53   Link #1533
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
One thing that I was interested in, as I watched Blue Drop, was seeing if I could figure out the Arume language. Surprisingly, it was pretty easy!

It's currently missing 3 letters so this is definitely a preliminary version (plus it doesn't look very pretty). It'll be a while though, before I can see about finding other bits of text to see if I can get those 3 letters.

It's amusing some of the errors you see when you really pay attention to something...

"Date Card"

"Megabommer"

"Motyher Ship"

"Inrange"

..but it's also pretty cool some of the things you can find out..

The symbol on all the Commander hats is the letter C (for Commander I guess).

When Azanael is tracking down Mari, a message on her HUD says "For Human Mode." This made me think that Forime might be an unofficial name, but the data card with Mari's info says Forime on it.

Kind of brings into question what you should take as canon and what you should take as an error. In one scene with the mega bomber, the word biconds is used for seconds. Then in a later scene with Blue being attacked, they use seconds. Who knows.

Anyways.

There are some words I'm interested in.. do they have some kind of meaning in Japanese or are they nonsense? The translations fluctuate between English, Japanese and seemingly nonsense. Maybe an indication of different animation groups?

Mushi, Teni ?yunbi, Shinrozu, Tyaka Notei, Raireki, Kaisou, Toutyaka Titen, Chakan, Kervir Tensou, Yokomen and Raikedo (for now).

Images
Arume Language Key
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Asrial; 2014-08-15 at 03:56. Reason: Consolidation (actual post was June 20th, 2014)
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 01:02   Link #1534
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
When I read this thread, no one had posted the full lyrics to the ending song Tsubomi. Further, 2 different translations of the opening song Blue were present (not including the DVD half translation). As a result, one of my projects was to get a full translation of Tsubomi, and to make sense of the translations of Blue.

Unfortunately, this project proved to be more daunting than I expected. It made me feel like I needed to rethink my desire for an accurate translation, and to approach things from a different perspective. I don't think it's possible for me to create something incredibly accurate, because I'm not a native speaker, or even a casual speaker. I even tried poking at just bits and pieces of the songs, but that wasn't any easier.

As a result, I'm just going to post everything that I have available, and finish with a translation I had done that I then slightly modified with my knowledge of Blue Drop. This should be enough content that someone familiar with the story can pull things together and make their own decisions about the meaning of the lyrics. The concept and emotion of a song is more important than the actual words in my opinion.

I definitely recommend listening to the full versions of the songs because they're both really beautiful. As an ending song, Tsubomi is such a contrast to the ending of the series itself.

(the -'s in the kanji are to help create spacing because a single space doesn't show up very well, and multiple spaces are treated as a single space)

Blue

TL;DR…
Blue - Kanji
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Blue - Romaji
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Blue - DVD Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Blue - FatPianoBoy's (AnimeSuki) Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Blue - changeup's (AnimeSuki) Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Blue - My Modification of SaHa's Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tsubomi

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - Kanji
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - Romaji
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - DVD Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - Lady_in_blue's (AnimeSuki) Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - Yoroshiku's Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Tsubomi - My Modification of SaHa's Translation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Asrial; 2014-09-22 at 02:48. Reason: Consolidation Into Lyrics Post
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 03:36   Link #1535
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Introduction

So I saw Blue Drop [subbed with DVD subtitles] and went searching for more content, as I do whenever I finish anything that I really enjoy. My searching led me to this thread. Pretty much, this is the single greatest location of information about Blue Drop that I was able to find. I found another thread in another forum, but it only has ~12 pages of posts.. so a fairly distant second when it comes to content.

Unfortunately, discussion is completely dead, and not even some of my best efforts have been able to rekindle it. However, I figure that someone in the future may be in my situation and go searching for information and they too will come across this thread.

As I've said.. I've read every post here. I do want to discuss Blue Drop, but it seems I'll have to discuss it with myself. Therefore, I pooled everything together into a single post. There are some things I didn't see mentioned, and some things I wanted to add my own thoughts into, and then just some random things in general. Ultimately, it's enough to get that "I talked about Blue Drop!" craving out of my system. I'm also trying to create unique content so that anyone coming in after me will have a better experience. I think I've managed to do a pretty good job with that.

So, without further ado.. necro'ing a thread the right way..


TL;DR…
The Ending
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Hagino and Mari: Frenemies?
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Telepathic Communication
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
The Sadness is Real To Me
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Azanael, Getour and the United Nations
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
The Calendar
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Ship Names (specifically 3 and 4)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Random Points of Thought
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Just Plain Randomness
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


TL;DR…
Top 5 Favorite Moments
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


Final Thoughts

A major theme throughout the anime is living in the moment. Obviously that's what Mari and Hiroko are talking about in episode 12, but you can see it in a lot of other things as well.

Mari is a character that can't remember anything, and so is unable to live in the past. She's also very impulsive, and so doesn't give much thought to the future.

Michiko defends Hagino to the rest of the girls by saying that it's not a matter of what she's done in the past as an Arume, or what she may do in the future, but of what she's been doing in the present.. that of being their friend and leader.

Hagino has a determined focus on getting the play done because of her resignation about the pending invasion. You can't change the past, and you're about to be invaded, so it's best to focus on the here and now and make it the best it can be.

In the end, despite the pain, would you say that Hagino was unhappy with how events transpired? Would you say that Mari would be better off having not met Hagino?

They had their moments together, and they made them the best they could be. Between the darkness of the past and the uncertainty of the future, the present was a shining point of light for them and those around them. The true tragedy really is that the play wasn't able to reach its conclusion, but then, warm and fuzzy moments have to end at some point.

As such, the moment for me has to end too. I accomplished what I wanted, and that was to think about and discuss and share Blue Drop. It really was a perfect storm for me. I hope that someone in the future finds this thread, because they saw the anime and went searching for more, and that this post makes their experience that much better.

While I wouldn't rank Blue Drop as an anime that everyone should check out, it definitely exists amongst my top favorites. I'm definitely appreciative of my own experience with it.. and that's really what matters the most in the end.


TL;DR…
Postscript: Further Content
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 08:19   Link #1536
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Hi Asrial!

Unfortunately, you are simply a few years too late. I do remember that in the days when the show aired for the first time, there wre some lively discussions going on here. Unfortunately, the only fansubs available (as much as I've appreciated them!) were of shaky translation quality. Especially at the very end, when it came to the sideeffects of the Emil-Drive explosion, they went completely off track and were completely wrong - so that the real meaning was totally altered. If I hadn't been lucky to have an Eclipse translator to give me a correct private translation, I would have been completely stumped ^_^;

About your other comments: Too long for me to go into every detail. However, here are some general comments.

I feel that Hagino truly died. She knew that she would - that's why she was shown crying with a breaking voice when she ordered Blue on a crash course, while Mari was running alongside the ship. If she had planned to escape, there was no reason for these tears. Also, the show could have at least hinted on a successful reunification. Nope. It was a tragedy - nothing wrong with that.

Also keep in mind that the anime was essentially a "Blue Drop Zero", a series which was designed to predate an already existing "Blue Drop" universe, in which the Arume already HAD invaded and conquered the Earth. Therefore, the anime was naturally limited in what it could afford to do - it could not contradict the established lore. One more reason why "tragedy" was an apt choice.

The chemistry between Hagino and Mari was quite enjoyable for me to follow. Then again, I have a very soft spot for the "smart teasing ojousama" type, so I was sold right off the bat. The Azanael/Onomil sidestory worked well, and Tsubael with her Hagino-worship was cute as a button. I never really managed to connect with Michiko all that much, but alas...

All things considered, a very well-told little shoujo-ai story with a very effective tearjerker ending.

Well done.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 18:44   Link #1537
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Hey Mentar! Imagine my surprise to see your posts in the thread as I was reading through it

I definitely agreed with a lot of your thoughts on things.

I didn't really connect with Michiko either, but perhaps it's because neither of us seem like the soft-spoken background type.

In the end.. I do agree with you that Hagino truly died.
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 18:59   Link #1538
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Huh. It's always the underground classics with a small but devoted fanbase that have the best discussions.

I haven't ever actually seen (or even heard of) this series, though; I just saw it on the main forum page's "Last Posted" link. I should check it out sometime. Shoujo's a good genre, 2007 was a good year for anime, and stories with this enthusiastic a fandom usually has such a thing for a reason.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 02:56   Link #1539
Asrial
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Just posting to say that I updated my above lyrics post with my final content for it.

Unless there ends up being some amount of discussion... this is my planned last post for Blue Drop.

It really was a great ride
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 03:19   Link #1540
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I just rewatched this recently, the ending still makes me cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Unfortunately, the only fansubs available (as much as I've appreciated them!) were of shaky translation quality.
This is correct. If I recall correctly, the initial groups providing subs stalled at some point, and a fan group popped up to at least provide translations for summaries. Eventually it turned into a full project and the show was finished in time for the ending. Something like that, anyway. The good old days of actual fan subbing, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Huh. It's always the underground classics with a small but devoted fanbase that have the best discussions.

I haven't ever actually seen (or even heard of) this series, though; I just saw it on the main forum page's "Last Posted" link. I should check it out sometime. Shoujo's a good genre, 2007 was a good year for anime, and stories with this enthusiastic a fandom usually has such a thing for a reason.
Blue Drop is a very well done anime, all the way around. The manga stories are a bit more...um, risque, and they mostly function to serve as momentary windows into the Blue Drop universe. There is no one single story that functions as a "main" plot, but man does the author paint one fascinating picture of a possible reality.

Also, yuri. Lots of it. He loves messing with gender tropes.

Another great show that aired around that time was Simoun, which I highly recommend. Both of these titles fit the "don't make them like they used to" label.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.