AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-06, 11:22   Link #1
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
having trouble with insert image function

having trouble using the insert image function


for some reason when i try to use it to provide a manga page from the site onemanga.com it doesn't work and the page doesn't show up.

am i doing something wrong?

is this site blocked from being used on here? (i've seen it working for others, though)

or am i / did i get blocked from posting images?

or what is other reason?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

i'd like to know as it is hard to justify my posts when i go to try to post the page and it doesn't work-show up for support in my posts.
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:04   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
It would help if you gave us more info. We do not block the site but I suspect it may be OneManga preventing hotlinking that is causing your problem.

Could you...

(i) Provide an example of what you are trying to do. Post here in this thread an example of an image you might want to display.

(ii) Provide an example of another post you think works (you can just quote another post as the example).

I had a quick search of the forum and I did notice one image wasn't displayed correctly (the small x was all that was being displayed). This could mean the image hosting part of OneManga is down or that they are preventing images from being hotlinked (which is a sensible approach after all since hotlinking is also considered rude).

BTW, please remember that OneManga contains a lot of licensed manga so make sure you do not link to any images from a licensed series. Hotlinking is also considered rude.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:05   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
If you're trying to hotlink the image directly from the other website, you're violating a cardinal rule of posting. COPY the image you want to display to your machine and then upload it to an image-hosting site like imageshack or equivalent -- then use their features to copy/paste their provided URL for forums into your post.

edit: as Xris notes... make sure you're not violating any of Animesuki's license policies.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:18   Link #4
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
hmm... i'm not knowledgible of the legal licensing stuff... it's just i've seen other posters able to on their posts and i'm pretty sure i've seen the manga pages posted this way from that site (though i can't recall-locate it for you now...it was awhile ago).

the manga in question is the claymore manga. is this prohibited by the licensing stuff? and is there a place on here to see what is licensed-prohibited ? and also, is there a way to tell what is licensed or not? i'm really clueless to all of this legal stuff.

well... as i don't understand any of the legal stuff, guess it is a good thing that the page image didn't come up/work.

and i guess i'll just assume that, it is blocked by that site. didn't think of that possibilty. (though i'm still perplexed, since i'm pretty sure i've seen it coming up on another member's post, though i could be wrong, or maybe the page was actually from some other site)


any help or information or directions in regard to any of my questions would be appreciated.

i certainly never meant to violate any licensing stuff and this site's policy.

so if you could provide any help with making less ignorant about this legal stuff. i'd be greatful, so i don't accidentally do anything wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there any way to source stuff appropriately? as many posters like it when you can back stuff up with sources or images in your posts. what is the best way to do this if there is a way to do so that's allowed? is just linking the url okay, instead of using the image function, or is that not allowed either?

any help-info would be appreciated.
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:25   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
hmm... i'm not knowledgible of the legal licensing stuff... it's just i've seen other posters able to on their posts and i'm pretty sure i've seen the manga pages posted this way from that site (though i can't recall-locate it for you now...it was awhile ago).

the manga in question is the claymore manga. is this prohibited by the licensing stuff? and is there a place on here to see what is licensed-prohibited ? and also, is there a way to tell what is licensed or not? i'm really clueless to all of this legal stuff.

well... as i don't understand any of the legal stuff, guess it is a good thing that the page image didn't come up/work.

and i guess i'll just assume that, it is blocked by that site. didn't think of that possibilty. (though i'm still perplexed, since i'm pretty sure i've seen it coming up on another member's post, though i could be wrong, or maybe the page was actually from some other site)


any help or information or directions in regard to any of my questions would be appreciated.

i certainly never meant to violate any licensing stuff and this site's policy.

so if you could provide any help with making less ignorant about this legal stuff. i'd be greatful, so i don't accidentally do anything wrong.
The main site (to which this is the forum of) is an anime torrent site, so we only provide info on licensed anime, see our License Database. We do not provide info on what manga is licensed or not, sorry but you will have to sort that out for yourself. Bottom line, if it is available in English then it is licensed. Claymore manga is indeed licensed.

Back to the images. Without any examples, can't really help. As for the fact that you think you have seen images displayed here in the forum, at a guess I would say that the posters downloaded the image to an image hosting site (such as ImageShack or PhotoBucket), that would get round the hotlinking issue.

Sorry, until you provide some examples we are just guessing as to what your problem is.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:30   Link #6
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
the image did show up as the red x

if you don't mind clarifying this that you said:

"..As for the fact that you think you have seen images displayed here in the forum, at a guess I would say that the posters downloaded the image to an image hosting site (such as ImageShack or PhotoBucket), that would get round the hotlinking isssue." -xris

is this method still violating this site's policy, or is this method okay?

and is this correct:

so any page images of the claymore manga isn't allowed?
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:31   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
If the manga has been licensed for english translation - then *any* posting of fan scanlations is not permitted and you should report any such postings.

There are Fair Use provisions (like if you've scanned an image from a legally licensed manga to refer to in your post).

As far as the technical aspects of posting - just do as I've stated above: do not "hotlink" (post a URL directly to an image from another site) UNLESS the site is an image server where you've uploaded the image to it. Also - please use the thumbnail code such sites provide so that you don't overload people trying to view the Animesuki page.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:34   Link #8
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
oh so the "hotlink" is using the url link? i thought that was the image function thing.

what about the image function then?

sorry... i'm really lost... the legal stuff is really overwhelming... and going right over me.. not a lawyer... here..

---------------------------------------------

okay....

so any page from the claymore manga should be reported?

or are you saying some page images are okay if they follow the fair use provisions?

sorry, but i'm confused a bit...
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:47   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Ignore the "legal" stuff for the moment, that hasn't got to do with anything as far as this topic is concerned.

Read up on Hotlinking. Bottom line, hotlinking is considered rude since you are potentially abusing someone else's site. Displaying an image here when it (the image, i.e. the file) resides on another site means you are "stealing" their bandwidth and their resources.

If you want to display an image on this forum (and it doesn't matter if you are hotlinking or or not) then you will need to use the IMG tag.

Example
[img]http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.style/default/buttons/report.gif[/img]

If you typed this in as part of a post then it would look like this ->

If you check the URL of the image you will see that the image is being hosted on animesuki.com. What we are saying is that if the URL of an image has the URL of OneManga then you are hotlinking.

Instead you should use an image hosting site such as ImageShack or Photobucket.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:48   Link #10
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
just to clarify if i am understanding this or what you said:

okay....

so any page from the claymore manga should be reported?

or are you saying some page images are okay if they follow the fair use provisions?

should i report any image i see of the claymore manga, even if it might be allowed through the fair use provisions?
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 12:52   Link #11
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
okay.. thanks... about the explanation of the hotlinking and i'm to load it to an image uploading site first

so if i see any images of the claymore manga's pages, they should be reported immedietely as they violate this site's policies?

(because many posters have the images of the claymore manga pages on their posts)
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 13:10   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
okay.. thanks... about the explanation of the hotlinking and i'm to load it to an image uploading site first

so if i see any images of the claymore manga's pages, they should be reported immedietely as they violate this site's policies?

(because many posters have the images of the claymore manga pages on their posts)
Here's an example of "fair use" I've posted in the One Piece forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Since One Piece is licensed the following posts are not allowed
  • Asking where you can find One Piece manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Linking to One Piece manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Posting One Piece scans or translations.
  • Discussing One Piece scan groups (past or present).
These rules applies to the raws as well.

You still are allowed to discuss the manga, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story itself.

Summaries are allowed, it's just that full translations are against the forum rules. The odd image or a translation of a line or paragraph is acceptable, that's considered "fair use" but more than that isn't allowed. The same applies to the other forums (such as Naruto and Bleach).
The same applies to the Claymore forum. Please remember, the odd image or a translation of a line or paragraph is acceptable, that's considered "fair use" but more than that isn't allowed.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 13:18   Link #13
HegemonKhan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
nevermind. i think i finally understand now.

sorry for all the trouble.

and thanks for the repsonse, help, and explanation!
HegemonKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 13:29   Link #14
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Under our usage of "fair use" it means that you may include an image if it is related to the discussion at hand.

Now clearly when a new chapter is released, all the new pages are related to any discussion but that doesn't mean we would allow images to be posted unless it was to highlight a specific point. In such a case then we would allow a single image (or preferably only the relevant part of an image) to be included in a post.

And if anyone tries to be "clever" and post the chapter one image at a time in a series of posts then chances are we will ban them.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 21:20   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Assume for the moment that someone wants to post an image from an unlicensed manga (or an unlicensed anime for that matter). Is there any reason why the person can't upload the image to his or her AS gallery and link to that, as opposed to using an off-site host like Imageshack? (Assuming, of course, that it confirms to the size rules, and the person still has gallery space available?)
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 02:58   Link #16
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Assume for the moment that someone wants to post an image from an unlicensed manga (or an unlicensed anime for that matter). Is there any reason why the person can't upload the image to his or her AS gallery and link to that, as opposed to using an off-site host like Imageshack? (Assuming, of course, that it confirms to the size rules, and the person still has gallery space available?)
That certainly is an option.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.