AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Old 2009-12-05, 02:47   Link #1
pokemon123
Puri puri puri puri..BANG

Getting a h264/FLAC/mkv file to play on PS3

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this but I've got Mai Otome S.ifr from 3xR subs and they use h.264 and FLAC to encode their videos.

Currently, I'm able to play them on my computer but I'm trying to convert the videos into a format that's playable by my PS3 which is hooked up to a HDTV.

I've tried MKV2VOB but it says "Unsupported Audio Codec". Handbrake gives me only 2 channels of sound when I tried to run it by the program using AC3 passthru settings for the audio output.

I've tried googling H264/FLAC/MKV to PS3 but to no avail. Could someone please help me??

Thanks!!
My salvation is my reward
My craft is death
My pledge is eternal service
pokemon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 03:37   Link #2
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemon123 View Post
I've tried MKV2VOB but it says "Unsupported Audio Codec". Handbrake gives me only 2 channels of sound when I tried to run it by the program using AC3 passthru settings for the audio output.
How do you expect AC3 Passthrough to work if there's no AC3 in the input to pass through?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 08:35   Link #3
pokemon123

Oops.. I didn't know that that option requires a AC3 input.

But still I don't know how to go about converting it from H264/FLAC/mkv to a format that's playable by my PS3.

I'd just like to watch it high quality on my PS3 =x
My craft is death
Old 2009-12-05, 16:23   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One alternative is to run ps3mediaserver on the computer where the file is stored and then connect to it with the PS3. The file is converted to a PS3-compatible format and streamed to the PS3. I don't use it myself, since I have a computer connected directly to the TV, but many other people have reported great success with this method, and you don't have to do the conversion manually.

See also: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1085772 and other threads on this software in the PS3 section of avsforum.com.
Old 2009-12-06, 21:13   Link #5
pokemon123

I tried the PS3MediaServer, and it works! But only thing is that it stutters when it streams the video over to the PS3. Must be that the video itself requires too large a constant bitstream to play smoothly.

But anyways, I guess I'll have to just have to connect my MacBook Pro to my TV via HDMI. Or maybe get the Bluray version of Mai Otome Sifr Complete =P

Thanks for your help SeijiSensei!!
My craft is death
Old 2009-12-08, 00:51   Link #6
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

Quote:
I tried the PS3MediaServer, and it works! But only thing is that it stutters when it streams the video over to the PS3. Must be that the video itself requires too large a constant bitstream to play smoothly.
Increase the buffer limit, even on wireless (Close Proximity) with loseless video set it will still run 720P fine if your CPU is decent. Stuttering = Slow CPU/Low Buffer

I run wired myself for most things. Haven't tried 1080P over wireless, I've seen 720P (loss less setting) jump close to the max bit stream of wireless G routers
BradF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 10:29   Link #7
pokemon123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradF View Post
Increase the buffer limit, even on wireless (Close Proximity) with loseless video set it will still run 720P fine if your CPU is decent. Stuttering = Slow CPU/Low Buffer

I run wired myself for most things. Haven't tried 1080P over wireless, I've seen 720P (loss less setting) jump close to the max bit stream of wireless G routers
Hmm alright, I'll try that over the coming weekend. Got a test to study for tomorrow!

The video that I was trying to stream was 1080p IIRC. And my router is a wireless N, or so the brochure that they shoved into my face at the IT show led me to believe.

My hardware is as follows:

Apple MacBook Pro
- Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz
- 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM
- nVidia 9600M GT
- Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

Aztech Wireless N router plus HSPA support for 3G Mobile Broadband
My craft is death
Old 2009-12-08, 11:13   Link #8
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

Quote:
Hmm alright, I'll try that over the coming weekend. Got a test to study for tomorrow!

The video that I was trying to stream was 1080p IIRC. And my router is a wireless N, or so the brochure that they shoved into my face at the IT show led me to believe.

My hardware is as follows:

Apple MacBook Pro
- Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz
- 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM
- nVidia 9600M GT
- Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

Aztech Wireless N router plus HSPA support for 3G Mobile Broadband
More then enough just increase the buffer and you should be fine. I don't run wireless N myself but I'm sure it has a higher output. If possible it may be worth it to run wired if applicable.
BradF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 22:04   Link #9
balram003

Try to use Pavtube MKV Converter, it allows you keeping 5.1 channels via choosing AC3 audio codec.
balram003 is offline   Reply With Quote