AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-09, 15:59   Link #21
mneme
Is busy drawing...

Where did this 'came to Rokkenjima at 6 years old' thing come from? I dont remember them saying that.

I remember the 10 years thing, and that Kanon was 16 and been there for 3 years, but not...her showing up at 6. Honestly, what would a 6 year old maid DO anyway?
Old 2009-12-09, 16:13   Link #22
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Where did this 'came to Rokkenjima at 6 years old' thing come from? I dont remember them saying that.

I remember the 10 years thing, and that Kanon was 16 and been there for 3 years, but not...her showing up at 6. Honestly, what would a 6 year old maid DO anyway?
I think the six years old was mentioned when she first was introduced but I'm not sure.

Well she could help, she could distract or you know be a friend for the little lady so she won't bother her parents or the other servants. And she could just learn from the servants.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:14   Link #23
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

No actually Kanon is 16 years old as well. Of course he's probably a few months younger, either way I can't explain why she calls Shannon "oneesan".

It is indeed a mystery why Kanon is so attached to Shannon, considering that Shannon has been living in the Rokkenjima mansion since she was 6 and Kanon only started serving 3 years before.

BTW it's been always said that the fukuin children are orphans, but that's not completely true. In fact in Episode1 it is said that:

Quote:
All of the graduates from the Fukuin House were orphans. Or you could say that they were all people who, through special circumstances, had been disowned by their parents.
It appears that Shannon isn't an orphan, and that is the reason why she's been in the Rokkenjima Mansion since she was 6; her mother worked there.

Old 2009-12-09, 16:17   Link #24
Marion
The Great Dine

Well he might feel close to her enough to call her sister. It's not like they have to be biologically related, but they clearly have a fond closeness to each other for Kanon to refer to Shannon as his older sister.

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-12-09, 16:20   Link #25
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
It is indeed a mystery why Kanon is so attached to Shannon, considering that Shannon has been living in the Rokkenjima mansion since she was 6 and Kanon only started serving 3 years before.
Quote:
It appears that Shannon isn't an orphan, and that is the reason why she's been in the Rokkenjima Mansion since she was 6; her mother worked there.
It was said that they knew each other already in the orphanage. That means either Shannon is an orphan or she just lived there or went there for god knows reasons. Also three years of Rokkenjima household would be enough for me to atach myself to the only girl I knew from before and is my age. Also wasn't it said that there were told in the orphanage that they should see otehr Fukuoin children as family?
Old 2009-12-09, 17:59   Link #26
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I thought Shannon was from Fukuin, but a maid adopted her when she was 6.
Old 2009-12-10, 02:34   Link #27
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhmmmm....

You know I've just tried to check and I noticed that Witch Hunt has changed the translation of that part XD

it was originally

Quote:
Six years ago, the maid's stepdaughter also gave off a servant-like vibe, but now, ......you're a full-fledged adult servant
and now since the last patch it is:

Quote:
Six years ago, you might've been mistaken for a servant's daughter who lent a hand at your parent's work, ......but now you're a full-fledged adult servant.
That makes a whole lot of difference XD

So the novel doesn't really mention that Shannon was the "daughter" of a senior servant. But it's yet hard to accept that she was hired at the age of six...

Old 2009-12-10, 03:29   Link #28
Ssol

And why should we believe that she was 6? If she really was an orphan.
Old 2009-12-10, 04:38   Link #29
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well even if it wasn't really 6 years old, she still figured that old to Kinzo and the rest of the family. Don't they have any shame?

Old 2009-12-10, 14:04   Link #30
mneme
Is busy drawing...

So they were talking about her being there six years ago, not that she WAS six years old. which would make more sense to me. Because even at say, 19, six years ago a 13 year old servant would seem like a 'daughter who's hanging around' rather then 'a full fledged adult'. Somehow by the way they call the 18 year olds 'Children' I doubt they'd say a 16 year old is a full fledged adult.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:19   Link #31
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
So they were talking about her being there six years ago, not that she WAS six years old. which would make more sense to me. Because even at say, 19, six years ago a 13 year old servant would seem like a 'daughter who's hanging around' rather then 'a full fledged adult'. Somehow by the way they call the 18 year olds 'Children' I doubt they'd say a 16 year old is a full fledged adult.
No, this was also said.

Quote:
She's a long-term servant who's served here since she was six years old.
Old 2009-12-10, 15:23   Link #32
mneme
Is busy drawing...

Aaah. Ok.

Wtf, Shannon. Where the hell did you get that body at 16???
Old 2009-12-10, 15:27   Link #33
Kitsu
The unlucky one

It seems that the food on Rokkenjima is very healthy^^
Old 2009-12-10, 15:35   Link #34
mneme
Is busy drawing...

Yeah, all the weight goes to the chest apparently. :|
Old 2009-12-10, 19:46   Link #35
Tsuyi

I only remember reading that she was easily good friends with Jessica because they're the same age...? It might have implied her to be close in age and not exactly the same age...but I always thought that she was eighteen before I heard about the six years old + ten years of service for the Ushiromiya thing.
Old 2009-12-10, 20:44   Link #36
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

When I first got into Umineko via the Manga before I read the VN, I also assumed Shannon was older; specifically, around George's age. So yeah, it's understandable to look at her and think she's older, between her mature personality and, erm, assets.

But what really makes it creepy isn't that George is 23 and she's 16...it's the fact that the flashbacks in EP2 show when they first started noticing their feelings for each other, and that was 2 (or 3?) years before the present...which means a 21-year old man got the hots for a 14-year old maid. What makes it even more baffling is that the character designs are identical to the present day in the Anime, which is understandable for George and Jessica (16 to 18 isn't that big a change, and especially not 21 to 23)...but if you go by the Anime designs (and to be fair the VN also uses the same art for all flashbacks too) then Shannon was that developed at FOURTEEN.

Healthy food, indeed.
Old 2009-12-10, 22:06   Link #37
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I honestly would prefer if Shannon was 20 or something like I originally assumed.

Old 2009-12-10, 22:40   Link #38
Marion
The Great Dine

Well in Japan it's not too uncommon for men to marry younger women - most women actually get married before 25 there (well most traditional couples do)

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-12-11, 02:13   Link #39
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

No it's not just that, it's Shannon's story, personality and design. She just gives off the vibe of being 20 or older... and it's not reasonable for a 10 year old to work as a maid, but it's even less reasonable to say that she started when she was 6. ^^;

Old 2009-12-12, 15:52   Link #40
ijriims

I almost thought that Ryukishi omitted an 1 in front of Shannon's age.

Perhaps he noticed the awkwardness between George's and Shannon's relationship if she was that young.

But then he might think "Why not?"
Closed Thread