AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-11, 14:22   Link #4981
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Yeah..I mean Obama worse than Bush? Obama couldn't fail that hard if he tried, and yet the electorate still seems to be confused. And you'd have to be pretty confused ie. an idiot.

Seriously it's not that hard, can someone send out fliers? BUSH = BAD would do. They both begin with 'B' and it's easy to remember.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 14:38   Link #4982
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I don't think it is a very reasonable excuse for adults who should be able to critically think for themselves.
Perhaps, but the fact is that it happens. While the media is especially powerful and influential in the US, it also happens everywhere else in the world, predominantly western Europe. The media is especially good at embellishing facts and bend the truth to either make it sound more pleasant to the audience, or simply fabricate a fictitious story that the audience likes to hear.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 14:47   Link #4983
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Ozawa expresses concern over China's military buildup

Quote:
Ichiro Ozawa, secretary general of the Democratic Party of Japan, met Chinese Defense Minister Liang Guanglie in Beijing on Friday and expressed concern over China’s military buildup. ‘‘There is sentiment in Japan that sees China’s military modernization as a threat,’’ Ozawa told reporters, quoting himself as telling Liang.

‘‘If Japan were to strengthen armaments, it would not bring good results for the future of Japan and China,’’ Ozawa said. The influential Japanese lawmaker quoted Liang as telling him that China’s military ‘‘serves to protect a large territory and border, definitely not to seek hegemony.’’
Emperor to grant exceptional audience to Chinese Vice President Xi

Quote:
A written request is customarily submitted for the agency to arrange a meeting with the emperor at least one month before. But China made the request on Nov. 26.

Shingo Haketa, chief of the agency, told a news conference that he received the request from Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirofumi Hirano and told him that granting a meeting ''will generate considerable concern about the role of his majesty (as a symbol of state).''

The agency was thought to be initially reluctant to accept the request because it would go against the rule of protocol.

Asked if it would lead to political exploitation of the emperor, Haketa told the press conference he cannot brush aside such a view, saying, ''I feel pain (about the development).''

According to Article 4 of the Constitution, the emperor ''shall not have powers related to government.''
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 14:50   Link #4984
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Perhaps, but the fact is that it happens. While the media is especially powerful and influential in the US, it also happens everywhere else in the world, predominantly western Europe. The media is especially good at embellishing facts and bend the truth to either make it sound more pleasant to the audience, or simply fabricate a fictitious story that the audience likes to hear.
Oh, I know it quite well; anyone should if they take a look at politics in the US. Still won't stop me from criticizing an audience that shouldn't be as braindead as it all too often is.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 14:56   Link #4985
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
It's quite simple really; Americans prefer politicians who think with their gut instead of their head.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:00   Link #4986
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Oh, I know it quite well; anyone should if they take a look at politics in the US. Still won't stop me from criticizing an audience that shouldn't be as braindead as it all too often is.
Brainwashed would be a better term.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:07   Link #4987
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Actually I would say that most of the Americans don't understand how governance in general works. It is usually the people who work with and for the government who make their own stands on which side to take.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:31   Link #4988
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually I would say that most of the Americans don't understand how governance in general works. It is usually the people who work with and for the government who make their own stands on which side to take.
Which in my opinion represents a failure of the US education system. At the very least, the way the US system functions should be aggressively taught, if not other nations' systems too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Perhaps, but the fact is that it happens. While the media is especially powerful and influential in the US, it also happens everywhere else in the world, predominantly western Europe.
Do you seriously believe it's worse in the west then in nations like North Korea or even China?
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:40   Link #4989
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Do you seriously believe it's worse in the west then in nations like North Korea or even China?
I wasn't considering them when I said that, especially since I've never been there and thus wouldn't know exactly what it's like. I don't want to make the same kind of erroneous assumptions other people do about other places even though they've never been there.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:47   Link #4990
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Which in my opinion represents a failure of the US education system. At the very least, the way the US system functions should be aggressively taught, if not other nations' systems too.
I think that presents a dilemma, should the children be taught about the negative points of the government?

National education is a tough subject for the educators, the content taught must be an even mix of lies, truth and wholly neutral perspectives. I can use my local one as a good example :

Text : We ourselves must defend our country. As LKY has said, if nobody runs, every inch of the land will be defended.

Reality : The land size is so small and we are surrounded by water. It is like we have anywhere else to run in wartime. Whether we fight or not, we will still die, the only depending factor is how long we will live through the carnage.

How many people will actually accept the reality?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 15:49   Link #4991
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I wasn't considering them when I said that, especially since I've never been there and thus wouldn't know exactly what it's like. I don't want to make the same kind of erroneous assumptions other people do about other places even though they've never been there.
Then why say especially western Europe when talking about the entire world? Further, it's not like censorship in those nations isn't well documented.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 16:01   Link #4992
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Then why say especially western Europe when talking about the entire world? Further, it's not like censorship in those nations isn't well documented.
Considering I've been to the US, France, the UK and Saudi Arabia, I can say I know quite a few things about other countries, just not the far east as that's the only area in the world I haven't been in (and Australia). And yes, censorship is quite strong in the middle east as well, not to mention blatantly obvious

The reason I emphasize western Europe is because I know that politicians are corrupt, provide more support for the criminal than they do for the victim because of said corruption, and it is these politicians who control the media. Until recently, Berlusconi actually owned a TV broadcast station. Being the womanizer and now a possible contributor to mafia operations, you can imagine how eagerly he wanted to hide certain things about himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think that presents a dilemma, should the children be taught about the negative points of the government?

National education is a tough subject for the educators, the content taught must be an even mix of lies, truth and wholly neutral perspectives.
That's the thing. Most governments, if not all, will teach their kids only the good side of their nation. They will never reveal the darker side of their own history to make it easier for them to pledge loyalty to their country. For example, I know that in Italy, schools teach kids about Napoleone while putting him in a negative light, making him appear to be a dictator who cared only for conquering more land to expand his empire. The truth is, much of Italian law today is based on Napoleonic constitution. One possible reason for this is because Napoleon even threw the Pope in jail back in the day! Obviously, you can imagine how that doesn't sit well with Italians.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 16:43   Link #4993
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Ozawa expresses concern over China's military buildup
Quote:
Ichiro Ozawa, secretary general of the Democratic Party of Japan, met Chinese Defense Minister Liang Guanglie in Beijing on Friday and expressed concern over China’s military buildup. ‘‘There is sentiment in Japan that sees China’s military modernization as a threat,’’ Ozawa told reporters, quoting himself as telling Liang.

‘‘If Japan were to strengthen armaments, it would not bring good results for the future of Japan and China,’’ Ozawa said. The influential Japanese lawmaker quoted Liang as telling him that China’s military ‘‘serves to protect a large territory and border, definitely not to seek hegemony.’’
Time for Japan to shake off US protectorate and take the task of defending itself in its own hands.
__________________
Oversized signature, meet underfed bunnies.
Natsuru:
- This cake is great. But I don't think I could eat the rest of it by myself.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 18:12   Link #4994
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
No more beef: Wendy's burger chain leaves Japan

Quote:
The 71 Japanese locations of America's No.3 hamburger chain - 20 percent of its 350 overseas restaurants - will close by the end of December.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 20:09   Link #4995
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Bush closes the gap

Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...s_the_gap.html
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot....-standing.html
You know what? It is the same in France.

Lots of French did spit on Chirac, and wished that it ends for good.

When sarkozy got elected, it was like the messiah just arrived.

Survey from the beginning of 2009: The French now regret Chirac (as if they had never saud all the insults towards him) and would prefer him back, and act as if Chirac was good.


Either a lot of people lack of a functional brain, or are hypocritical, or just stupid. I mean, their opinions can change "every day".
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 20:11   Link #4996
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
That's rose tinted glasses for you. I'm sure Sarkozy will be popular again too. Just wait for him to stop being president. Same for Obama. Or anyone.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 20:16   Link #4997
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's rose tinted glasses for you. I'm sure Sarkozy will be popular again too. Just wait for him to stop being president. Same for Obama. Or anyone.
That's the point ^^ A lot of people have no real convictions. Their opinions about a government, a system, politicians, a party, etc. can change very easily without any logical reason. That's annoying.

I can understand how some people can get mad at sarkozy nowadays. I can. But i don't understand how those people can talk good about Chirac after having said things like: Truand, Menteur, Voleur ; just a few years ago.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 21:54   Link #4998
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's rose tinted glasses for you. I'm sure Sarkozy will be popular again too. Just wait for him to stop being president. Same for Obama. Or anyone.
Not Jimmy Carter. He's regarded as a traitor by many Americans today. Same may be for Obama if he resolves the Israel/Palestine conflict (thankfully for his popularity that's not likely).
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 22:16   Link #4999
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Not Jimmy Carter. He's regarded as a traitor by many Americans today. Same may be for Obama if he resolves the Israel/Palestine conflict (thankfully for his popularity that's not likely).
Hmm...the first minority "black" president is a bad president. hard to swallow.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 22:23   Link #5000
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
Why America will continue to be #1.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.