AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-14, 02:34   Link #501
Albafica
Pisces no saint
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: France
It looks interesting! I hope that it will be good (story)!
__________________
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 07:06   Link #502
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
i hope they also included a Luluko look-alike, just to please the (normal) fanboys who had been writing nasty fanfics about Luluko in her epic journey (which mostly involves Suzaku)
__________________
GUNDAM SENTINEL
Ice Queen Sumeragi is our friend!!!
support our empire!!!
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 13:13   Link #503
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Eh, I'm not too thrilled about it either. I haven't really read any of the other CG mangas and depending on how this one is received I may not read it either.
Well, I've read the first volumes of Lelouch of the Rebellion manga, Suzaku of the Counterattack manga, and Nightmare of Nunnally manga. The first two were horrible imo. Nightmare was mediocre. It was a decent concept, but the execution was a little... eh.

But there is a huge difference between those and this. Those mangas were non-canon alternate universe tales written by people who had no connection to the actual Lelouch of the Rebellion anime. This is a stretch, but I view them more like doujins than anything else.

Renya of the Dark, however, is a canon story set in the real Code Geass world created and written by the man who came up with the anime himself. Based on Lelouch of the Rebellion anime, we should assume this will be just as good as that. Manga can be just as good as anime if it is written well, and we should assume based on his track record, that be can write well.

I was negative at first when it was revealed this was a manga, but then I learned it was him doing it himself and it is not an alternate universe retelling but a new story with new characters in the same world as the anime, and I have to say my reaction now is very positive.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 14:53   Link #504
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
Well, I've read the first volumes of Lelouch of the Rebellion manga, Suzaku of the Counterattack manga, and Nightmare of Nunnally manga. The first two were horrible imo. Nightmare was mediocre. It was a decent concept, but the execution was a little... eh.

But there is a huge difference between those and this. Those mangas were non-canon alternate universe tales written by people who had no connection to the actual Lelouch of the Rebellion anime. This is a stretch, but I view them more like doujins than anything else.

Renya of the Dark, however, is a canon story set in the real Code Geass world created and written by the man who came up with the anime himself. Based on Lelouch of the Rebellion anime, we should assume this will be just as good as that. Manga can be just as good as anime if it is written well, and we should assume based on his track record, that be can write well.

I was negative at first when it was revealed this was a manga, but then I learned it was him doing it himself and it is not an alternate universe retelling but a new story with new characters in the same world as the anime, and I have to say my reaction now is very positive.
Well, canon or not, the Code Geass mangas still don't have the best track record, as you said (which is pretty much why I've stayed away from them) I'm not saying that this one will be terrible too, but I think I'm going to wait and see the reviews and receptions before I check it out. Or I might go ahead and read the first chapter or two. I'll play it by ear.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 20:21   Link #505
Tanksenior
~:=}
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Just finished reading the whole thread(yes every page from the beginning) and I'm quite excited!

I'm hoping for some new-news too .
Tanksenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 20:49   Link #506
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglei3 View Post
Just to divert the attention away from the never ending debate...

Theoretically thinking here (aka, this is something I thought of), imagine that if in this new manga, the Lelouch looking guy, ends up getting a code somehow, Renya beats him by 'sealing him' somehow while dying to do this, manga timeline ends, and the Lelouch look-a-like breaks out of this 'seal' around oh... we will say half a year to a year after Zero Requiem since we are guessing this manga takes place centuries before Code Geass. Let the carnage ensue as everyone from the first series wonders who the Lelouch look-a-like guy is then.
And then cue in Suzaku and co. trying to put out the fire caused by him.

On that end the guy is carrying that Geass symbol.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 22:19   Link #507
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
if they do end up doing another anime I just want some hand to hand combat in addition to knightmare fights. Well, actually, I want S1 style knightmare fights AND hand to hand combat.

Losts of characters had bladed weapons, Todou and Katase had katanas, Xingke had a chinese sword, Cornelia that Gunsword and Kallen had the knife pouch, yet none of them used these things in a fight, except if you count Katase using his katana on himself thanks to Lelouch's geass lol. Xingke used his in R1 ep 1 to cut the holsters on those guards at the airport but that's about it.
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 06:02   Link #508
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglei3 View Post
Just to divert the attention away from the never ending debate...

Theoretically thinking here (aka, this is something I thought of), imagine that if in this new manga, the Lelouch looking guy, ends up getting a code somehow, Renya beats him by 'sealing him' somehow while dying to do this, manga timeline ends, and the Lelouch look-a-like breaks out of this 'seal' around oh... we will say half a year to a year after Zero Requiem since we are guessing this manga takes place centuries before Code Geass. Let the carnage ensue as everyone from the first series wonders who the Lelouch look-a-like guy is then.
Sounds interesting. Something I'm looking forward to too. What goes around comes around.

I hope C.C. will pick Renya for her contractor to make things more interesting. That's why C.C. picked Lelouch over Suzaku for a "different outcome" in future.
__________________

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 11:52   Link #509
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
This Lelouch look-alike could actually be related to Lelouch on Marianne's part, his great great great great grandfather?| O-o. Maybe he was hired by the Japanese gov't to come train their troops in Western doctrine and crush a rebel faction.

Perhaps this new westernized force will be called the Black Knights, hence the cape on this dude.
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:17   Link #510
VanityWantsYou
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I'm not all too interested in the manga. Honestly, for me, Code Geass isn't Code Geass without Lelouch. I'm sure a good bit of people can agree with me there.

Also, I'm hoping that the new project has Lelouch back in action. Sure sure, there's the debate with whether or not he's dead or not and I don't wanna get that started again >.>;; But a Code Geass anime without him would be a bore. I might like the other characters, but any story following any of them wouldn't be very interesting.

Lelouch FTW :0
VanityWantsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:34   Link #511
snowdevil_crow
Wielder of Cucumbers
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
B-but, it's backstory for CC!

:O
__________________


Signature picture by ffxfan13
Avatar by teabeef on livejournal
snowdevil_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:35   Link #512
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Besides, there's sure to be an expy of nearly every character anyway. So someone there should be Lelouch-ish enough to pass.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:38   Link #513
yvj
U Mad?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Besides, there's sure to be an expy of nearly every character anyway. So someone there should be Lelouch-ish enough to pass.
We have no need to settle for Lelouch-ish

If Lelouch is truly dead give us something better I say!
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic81253_4.gif
yvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:38   Link #514
snowdevil_crow
Wielder of Cucumbers
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
His mother.

Marianne, who is most excellent.
__________________


Signature picture by ffxfan13
Avatar by teabeef on livejournal
snowdevil_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:48   Link #515
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvj View Post
We have no need to settle for Lelouch-ish

If Lelouch is truly dead give us something better I say!
Like the unholy child of Lelouch and Xingke pictured in that poster?
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:54   Link #516
VanityWantsYou
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Yeah, Lelouch-ish isn't good enough. There's no reason to slap a different look and name on a character that will be just like Lelouch. It's a little stupid to have two characters with the EXACT same personalities. It'd just be him with a different voice and somewhat different look. Sure, I'll give the manga a try, but I really can't get into Code Geass without Lelouch. It's just one of those shows.

Like the Dragon Ball Z season with Cell. It's just not DBZ when Goku's at home dying from a heart virus. Srsly. XD
VanityWantsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 20:57   Link #517
eaglei3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanityWantsYou View Post
Yeah, Lelouch-ish isn't good enough. There's no reason to slap a different look and name on a character that will be just like Lelouch. It's a little stupid to have two characters with the EXACT same personalities. It'd just be him with a different voice and somewhat different look. Sure, I'll give the manga a try, but I really can't get into Code Geass without Lelouch. It's just one of those shows.

Like the Dragon Ball Z season with Cell. It's just not DBZ when Goku's at home dying from a heart virus. Srsly. XD
I have to agree that it usually isn't really that great slapping a character's personality on someone else in the same storyline. Sort of becomes a slap in the face to the original character.
eaglei3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 21:08   Link #518
VanityWantsYou
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
That's true. To me, that would just be the mangaka trying to keep popularity by copying the most popular character, but just changing him to fit their story. I would hope they wouldn't do that. They can just have Lelouch in the new season and everyone'll be set >.>
VanityWantsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 23:10   Link #519
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanityWantsYou View Post
That's true. To me, that would just be the mangaka trying to keep popularity by copying the most popular character, but just changing him to fit their story. I would hope they wouldn't do that. They can just have Lelouch in the new season and everyone'll be set >.>
Or the producers could do an alternate universe version of Code Geass R2, that continues the story from where Stage 25 of Season One left off with Lelouch and Kallen defeating Suzaku. From there, a new story could be created, as well as an alternate ending.

The series could be called Code Geass S2, Stage 26 to Stage 50.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 02:10   Link #520
Ec[lips]e
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: somewhere over the rainbow ;x
I'm so starved for more CC, lulu and Code Geass in general that part of me wants to be ecstatic over this news but most of me is just dreading it. Like many of you have said, this anime was awesome as-is and it had a fantastic ending, with closure and opportunity for fans to specualte.

Another thing about the way they're bringing it back, is it's in manga form. I know many people prefer manga to anime, but one of the things about Code Geass that really impressed me was how absolutely beautiful the animation was and how awesomely the music was written. Now it's going to be black and white still frames on a page. Definite step down imo.

I'm sure part of me will love seeing some of the characters again in a familiar setting, but I guess I'll just have to wait and find out in 2010.
__________________
Ec[lips]e is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.