AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Monster

Notices

View Poll Results: What rating would u give it?
0/10 4 1.67%
1/10 1 0.42%
2/10 1 0.42%
3/10 0 0%
4/10 1 0.42%
5/10 2 0.83%
6/10 4 1.67%
7/10 17 7.08%
8/10 - 9/10 31 12.92%
9/10 - 10/10 (one piece/Naruto/Fma level) 179 74.58%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-06-14, 11:37   Link #41
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
FMA has much better characters and story
::laughs:: Um, okay...

Quote:
the monster story is not verry interesting so far...
Matter of personal taste. Besides, I've read the whole thing, and IMO it IS better than FMA. By far.

Quote:
And the characters are all pretty cliche.
Howso? Please, name examples.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2004-06-14, 11:51   Link #42
Joe Dalton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
The main character... Moral highground anoying brat. DONE
His ex wife... Hell first look at her face and you knew she was greedy, that was just poorly done overal
Her father... same story, no depth here.
The patients... come on is that at all insightfull?
The reporter... how many times have i seen a fat smoking dude with EXACTLY his personlity in shows?
The 'monster'... done to death, his entire character is stolen.

the list goes on and on to nearly every character in the show... the confused young girl, the old miletary man etc.

You can save yourself the I disagree because blah blah post because I simply dont care... Im sure it will be terrific with stuff like nooooo but see? there is a slight difference here but care yoda does not
__________________

Last edited by Joe Dalton; 2004-06-14 at 12:05.
Joe Dalton is offline  
Old 2004-06-14, 13:15   Link #43
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
The main character... Moral highground anoying brat. DONE
Where? I don't see a lot of "good doctors that attept to eschew their morals and decide to kill one of their former patients" main characters in series.

Quote:
His ex wife... Hell first look at her face and you knew she was greedy, that was just poorly done overal
Eva has some of the best development I've seen. Perhaps at this point in time you think you're correct, but I would refrain from judging so early in a series.

Quote:
Her father... same story, no depth here.
Minor character, only meant for one thing.

Quote:
The patients... come on is that at all insightfull?
They are devices to show Tenma's character. They were never meant to be incredible character studies.

Quote:
The reporter... how many times have i seen a fat smoking dude with EXACTLY his personlity in shows?
So? This is like me picking out every minor character in FMA and claiming that "They're not original! The show sucks!"

Quote:
The 'monster'... done to death, his entire character is stolen.
Wow, he's only shown up a couple of times and you already know everything there is to know about him?
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2004-06-14, 14:49   Link #44
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
the truth is there aren't enough episodes to give the monster anime any accurate rating. I'm sure the manga is kickass etc but the manga is almost always better than the anime (except fma where the anime seems to be better than the manga). I have read the 20th CB manga and it seems to be interfering with my enjoyment of the monster anime ( I understand it was written by the same author). So far I've found it to be totally predictable, the weird detective, the greedy boss, the hot chick the scared dude etc etc. I'm still waiting for that major plot twist.
__________________
hunterx is offline  
Old 2004-06-14, 15:55   Link #45
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
the truth is there aren't enough episodes to give the monster anime any accurate rating. I'm sure the manga is kickass etc but the manga is almost always better than the anime (except fma where the anime seems to be better than the manga). I have read the 20th CB manga and it seems to be interfering with my enjoyment of the monster anime ( I understand it was written by the same author). So far I've found it to be totally predictable, the weird detective, the greedy boss, the hot chick the scared dude etc etc. I'm still waiting for that major plot twist.
Nah, it's called hindsight bias, you're just giving yourself too much credit
ZeppelinJ0 is offline  
Old 2004-06-27, 18:15   Link #46
Repenter
I'm the Monster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
If Naruto is 9-10 of 10, then Monster would get 50+ easily. Sorry, but that's not up there.

Neither has even completed their run yet, but from what they have so far...
Repenter is offline  
Old 2004-06-27, 21:45   Link #47
ShellyKukai
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Its behond Naruto, but both fma and op are better. FMA has much better characters and story, and OP is just far more entertaining to watch, the monster story is not verry interesting so far... And the characters are all pretty cliche.
For instance if he had saved the mayor it would have gotten the hospital more money thus better staff and equipment resulting in saving more lives... he was just selfish but the anime put it as a moral highground. It's been verry predictable and shortsighted so far but still entertaining.

However in my opinion naruto doesnt really fit in this list of animes
Well are you not putting saving the mayor on moral highground also? In my opinion itís selfish and unethical to choose to practically let a person die because another individual is willing to hand you a fat check. Maybe that sounds naive. But, to be honest, thatís what pisses me off about healthcare in the USA in the first place. We have a very capitalistic approach when it comes to this area. If you have no health insurance or inadequate coverage, you're screwed. If you cant pay your medical bills, then who wants you in their hospital? The ER will slap a band aid on you and turn you out of its doors.
As far as Tenma's decision is concerned, you could also argue that the money that the whole point of saving the Mayor's life was to receive the funding and increase the prestige of the hospital as a great research facility with the newest technology and nothing more.
I don't see how it is fair to criticize Tenma or the creators of the series for portraying the story from that angle.
So what if itís cynical, 99% of the time that is just how it works. When was the impression ever given that Tenma's superior cared about saving lives?
ShellyKukai is offline  
Old 2004-06-27, 21:46   Link #48
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
I love Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece (I like Naruto, but I won't say 'love'), but Monster is simply far above those two in terms of plot / characters / development. It is Urasawa Naoki after all and his works (those I've been keeping up with, at least) are leagues above your average anime.

I hope a 20CB anime will stay loyal to the manga, because the manga is probably the greatest thing ever. Worst case scenario: Gonzo takes their hand at 20CB. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to fit the first 7 volumes into eight episode and then made their own story for 9-13 I loved lastEXILE, but Gonzo DO have a reputation as being manga butcherers, which is certainly true.
Fighter Volk is offline  
Old 2004-06-28, 00:47   Link #49
Joe Dalton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyKukai
Well are you not putting saving the mayor on moral highground also? In my opinion itís selfish and unethical to choose to practically let a person die because another individual is willing to hand you a fat check. Maybe that sounds naive. But, to be honest, thatís what pisses me off about healthcare in the USA in the first place. We have a very capitalistic approach when it comes to this area. If you have no health insurance or inadequate coverage, you're screwed. If you cant pay your medical bills, then who wants you in their hospital? The ER will slap a band aid on you and turn you out of its doors.
As far as Tenma's decision is concerned, you could also argue that the money that the whole point of saving the Mayor's life was to receive the funding and increase the prestige of the hospital as a great research facility with the newest technology and nothing more.
I don't see how it is fair to criticize Tenma or the creators of the series for portraying the story from that angle.
So what if itís cynical, 99% of the time that is just how it works. When was the impression ever given that Tenma's superior cared about saving lives?
cool I got me a genius here.
No im not putting it on a moral highground im saying its better because it saves more lives.

And you use naive as a term for inocent for wich I strongly dislike you immediatly in your mind put yourself as a great person while in fact in this case it shows stupidity.

Anyway it pisses you off that people that save lives want money? Go take medical school and invest your entire life into a traumatizing carreer for free and have fun with that.

When you go into the the tenma bit... if you get more funding as a hospital what does this give you the option to do?

And you dont see how it's fair to give an honest opinion? I just hope you're not an american that thinks freedom of speech is extremely important because I will make even more fun of you.

do you understand the word cynical? and if so... would you say monster is cynical? Cause I dotn see it... moral highground idiot gets high paying job. evil bastards get death... They could have at least shown some character development by now but they contantly skip that and either just suddenly throw a completely changed person at you without fully explaining them (at least not well enough for someone that actualy follows the story) or just let them be.

The monster anime is kinda disapointing. it had potential but it really dropped the ball in its story telling and character development wich is what it should be focusing on.
__________________
Joe Dalton is offline  
Old 2004-07-09, 19:51   Link #50
Ratix
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Personally, if I were you, I'd rate One piece as 8/10, Naruto and FMA isn't just my choice of Anime so I didn't really bother to watch it all.(Well blame the TV for showing one piece.)

Anyway, Monster gets the 9/10 slot for me.
Ratix is offline  
Old 2004-07-21, 10:14   Link #51
Kabuto Maniac
animeichi
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Netherlands
personally I think it's a bit... weird to automatically rate one piece, naruto and fma as 9/10-10/10 in a rating poll, but that's just me I guess. not that I think it's wrong: you are absolutely right about it imo. anyway: I voted 6/10, because this serie depresses me so much that I can't even watch more than two episodes in a row without getting into a very down and depressed mood... but I must admit that it is a very good serie. and I should say too that I find it of a very high level of quality, as well psychologically as in storyline development. it makes me think I'm watching a movie sometimes... maybe I should have rated it 7/10... well, I don't know for sure, but the only thing holding me back from liking it more is the whole air that is around it; depressing.
__________________
Kabuto Maniac is offline  
Old 2004-07-23, 00:04   Link #52
Kaka
罪人クロノ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repenter
If Naruto is 9-10 of 10, then Monster would get 50+ easily. Sorry, but that's not up there.

Neither has even completed their run yet, but from what they have so far...
I would agree to that too
so far every episode of monster was interesting
because I do care something more than just action *sigh*
__________________
Kaka is offline  
Old 2004-07-23, 00:36   Link #53
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
One Piece/Naruto/FMA level? What? It is a totally different genre... No action sequences only deep and a brilliant story line. Hey and what happened to HunterXHunter? It may even be better than Naruto.

I believe that FMA is not that great at all; its mixer of childish graphics with its creepy and bloody scenes and its wacky humor makes it an average anime. Well maybe the only thing about FMA that I like is its story-line, which is excellent.

In other words Monster is just starting, let it advance a little further down before we grade it. But I must say that it looks really promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
The monster anime is kinda disapointing. it had potential but it really dropped the ball in its story telling and character development wich is what it should be focusing on.
Waa? How many episodes of monster have you watched? OMG! That's a blasphemy

In anycase if you want to know what I think about Monster in detail read this

Now If you excuse me I'm goint to get my spoon full of FMA... @_@
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-07-23 at 01:00.
Sugetsu is offline  
Old 2004-08-09, 13:47   Link #54
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Thumbs up Great anime for its genre

I think that this anime is great for its genre. It has mystery and suspense and also a tad bit of action. What more could u ask for in a si-fi anime.
quikimpulse is offline  
Old 2004-08-09, 15:49   Link #55
avmoghe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
....

Allow me to ask ... what part of Monster seems like sci-fi? (I'll assume you meant to say sci-fi when you said 'si-fi)
avmoghe is offline  
Old 2004-08-25, 12:54   Link #56
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
It's quite good, it's one of the best of its genre


Mh however I'm wondering in which genre it could be exactly classified.. thriller?
__________________
^Aya^ is offline  
Old 2004-08-25, 15:27   Link #57
klansm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brazil
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to klansm
9

One piece (+200) Naruto (97) Fma (45) level

I can't say that Moster (18) is a Naruto or One Piece level, becouse of the number of episodes. But it will be one day

I vote is 9.
klansm is offline  
Old 2004-08-26, 12:50   Link #58
Budi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to Budi
I don't watch Naruto (thanks to its length in episodes, and the dubbed version in an Indonesian TV, which screens it on children time slot).

FMA is good, but I won't give it a 9-10/10 rating...and I don't watch OP.

Monster is very different than any other animes, it's dark and deep...some characters maybe ugly, but for me, this is better than those animes in which the characters are too "perfect". I was hooked after watching the first few eps. It's also a stand-out anime in 2004, which is dominated by ecchi/hentai OVAs and series.

I give Monster a 10/10.
Budi is offline  
Old 2004-08-26, 16:28   Link #59
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budi
It's also a stand-out anime in 2004, which is dominated by ecchi/hentai OVAs and series.
I have noticed this too
There's too fanservice in too many series now imho.. i don't like this too much
__________________
^Aya^ is offline  
Old 2004-08-27, 22:56   Link #60
sOnJoOL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Aya^
I have noticed this too
There's too fanservice in too many series now imho.. i don't like this too much
i agree. too much fanservice.
wit the dears and watnot.
sOnJoOL is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.