AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 26 Rating
Perfect 10 41 18.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 13.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 11.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 10.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 23 10.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 29 13.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 12 5.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 2.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 27 12.11%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-23, 16:58   Link #101
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I liked the episode. I didn't have high expectations, anyway.
Spoiler for Details:
All things considered, the anime doesn't come close to to the full experience of the VN. It has its own upsides like eye-candy and voices, of course, but imo it fails at creating truly memorable scenes (something the Higurashi anime managed well enough, not to mention the Umineko VN). The soundtrack was an improvement, though.

It was fun while it lasted. I see no reason for Chiru not to get animated if it's financially viable. It's always a way to attract more people.

PS
Quote:
Also, what I didn't get, was why did Beato fall back and start crying when Maria was all happy when she got Sakutaro back and was all "Sugoi, sugoi!"
I wanna know, because It looked like Maria likes Ange better than Beato, which makes me sad
Beatrice is shocked because by the rules of 'magic' that she knows, reviving Sakutaro is impossible. Which means Ange might have gotten closer to the true essence of magic than Beato did in her thousand years. It's not an issue between Maria and Beatrice.
Cytrus is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:28   Link #102
Golden-Beato
ベアトリーチェ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Eh....I thought it was ok....
My main complaint is
Spoiler for complaints:


Either way, I agree with Raneh that I'm glad it got an anime adaption so that the community will grow even more. ^_^
__________________
Golden-Beato is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:32   Link #103
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneh View Post
Although the anime doesn't reach up to VN's level (quite impossible anyway, not fully blaming DEEN for that) I'm glad this got animated. Even with the flaws it had I enjoyed watching it and seeing the characters voiced. Yeah, maybe another studio or director would've done a better job with it but at least it got animated, with the anime around more people will start reading the VN too and that makes the community bigger.
And that is exactly why I am depressed that Chiru may not get animated the way things are looking now. But things may change in two years...

Overall, this episode has been more of a "fuck yeah" for me.
immblueversion is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:33   Link #104
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
I thought this episode was done well. Though I think they could've removed the ending song for 2 reasons.,because I've never really liked the song,but that doesn't matter much. And 2, To,ya know, make some scenes longer.And they should've added the Beato and Battler hug in there. And add Trollkastel.
But hey, look on the bright side:

SMALL BOMBS
immblueversion is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:36   Link #105
Raneh
Storyteller
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
And that is exactly why I am depressed that Chiru may not get animated the way things are looking now. But things may change in two years...
Maybe it's not such a bad thing if Chiru doesn't get animated. People who watched the first season would be forced to read the VN if they wanted answers.
__________________
Raneh is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:39   Link #106
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttak View Post
Chrono, Beato did say more lines in red. But DEEN was so budget-low they only used the red truth sound for it. The same applies for some of Battler's lines.
If it's not red, it hasn't been said in red.

Plus, all of the lines I mentioned either weren't said at all or didn't have the red truth sound. The sound didn't play for any of them.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 17:59   Link #107
Keylo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Memo to self... Learn how to use freaking video editing programs so I can edit DeD into the episode rather than the craptastic tracks >.>..
Keylo is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:14   Link #108
Mighty_Snorlax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
It has its own upsides like eye-candy and voices, of course, but imo it fails at creating truly memorable scenes (something the Higurashi anime managed well enough, not to mention the Umineko VN).


They're the same fucking scenes... If they aren't memorable that's not DEEN's fault.

I don't understand what people's issue with the show is... It's a perfectly fine adaption, not perfect but no adaption is. A lot of you act as if another company could do better but really it'd be the same. You'd all be bitching about something as if it was the end of the world. I saw complaints that the anime would suck far before it actually aired. Complaints that the voices were unfitting, that the designs were horrible and did not do the game justice, and more. Most of you would never have been happy with this adaption, not because of DEEN, but because you're typical fans. But you know what? You really made out just fine. You act as if this anime was as godawful as the Transformers movies, an adaption that barely even concentrated on the characters and stories, or as rushed of an adaption as Chaos;Head anime. Sorry to tell you but DEEN did a good job with this show.

The Japanese seemed to like it. I've read posts like "they're just to shy to admit they hate it.", but these are people who have sent death threats to creators and directors for making choices they disagree with. They recently attacked a Mangaka's blog for such a thing actually. Poor sales aren't because of hate, it's because they just download shows or watch some other way due to high prices with low episode counts. The Umineko DVDs are about 50-60 dollars for two episodes...

Below is a picture of Amazon Japan's reviews for the series as proof that it's being recieved pretty well. Most comments on 2chan are pretty positive too.

Spoiler for picture:


Yes the second one was Google translated, but Google translate doesn't butcher meanings so much that the post could mean anything else. There are plenty of other post just like it as well.

Most of you need to sit back and watch the show without comparing it to the visual novel and maybe you'll realize that DEEN did a pretty good job. Things like "There is no Umineko anime" are just stupid when you made out with a pretty good show in the end. You're ruining it for the poor anime only people that want to enjoy this series but can't because everytime they do someone has to constantly tell them that the show is bad and that they should just read the VN and ditch it.

And yes I have read the visual novel.
Mighty_Snorlax is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:19   Link #109
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
It's not the adaptation itself that's necessarily bad; it's that DEEN makes the strangest directorial and musical choices; furthermore, they're prone to incredible animation and logistical errors.

Another, more competent studio, although they would probably have made similar cuts, would have created a much more polished product. (For example, actually having red text where it's supposed to be.)

Also, regardless of general opinion towards the show... sales have regardless been very low, and it's sales that dictate everything.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:22   Link #110
Nontype
CONTRACTS
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Sales might actually pick up once the series ends, who knows?

DEEN has dropped the ball several times - it's what they do. They've even fucked up royally at points. Since it looks like there was no hug, not even as much as a "My golden witch" added in at the end, i'd hate to say they ended with another fuckup. Someone there really hates that pairing.

Seriously, I'm thinking that Chiaki Kon is a bigger brocon fan than Senka by this point.
Nontype is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:28   Link #111
Baru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Your Mind
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Baru
I think the Stake's Valentines Drama CD offer will probably boost sales a bit, it's these such offers that help give otaku the drive to buy DVDs
Baru is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:32   Link #112
Ronove
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I found this episode quite exciting really.
Although, the Blue Stakes weren't exactly as I imagined; I thought it woul dbe wedges of Blue. Or at least the Blue Truth would transform into swords and fling to Beato.
However, I don't see any Red Truth (was it Budget problems?)

And Beato's emotions from the pain was horrible for me. I wish there was more love. Love love love!
Ronove is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:35   Link #113
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronove View Post

And Beato's emotions from the pain was horrible for me. I wish there was more love. Love love love!
Like the fanmade ending? That was perfect, which set my standards WAY TOO HIGH. Beato's voice in the anime was okay, pain wise, but where was the emotion? I got some, which was the pain, but, like, the sadness?? Where'd that go?
Plus her face scared me..
AmyElizzabeth is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:38   Link #114
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Snorlax View Post
Most comments on 2chan are pretty positive too.
Yes, all those positive comments like "this is a gag anime, right?" and "lolololololol" or "what's with this shitty anime."
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:43   Link #115
Racheya-sama
Witch of Ambition
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Send a message via MSN to Racheya-sama Send a message via Skype™ to Racheya-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Snorlax View Post


They're the same fucking scenes... If they aren't memorable that's not DEEN's fault.

I don't understand what people's issue with the show is... It's a perfectly fine adaption, not perfect but no adaption is. A lot of you act as if another company could do better but really it'd be the same. You'd all be bitching about something as if it was the end of the world. I saw complaints that the anime would suck far before it actually aired. Complaints that the voices were unfitting, that the designs were horrible and did not do the game justice, and more. Most of you would never have been happy with this adaption, not because of DEEN, but because you're typical fans. But you know what? You really made out just fine. You act as if this anime was as godawful as the Transformers movies, an adaption that barely even concentrated on the characters and stories, or as rushed of an adaption as Chaos;Head anime. Sorry to tell you but DEEN did a good job with this show.

The Japanese seemed to like it. I've read posts like "they're just to shy to admit they hate it.", but these are people who have sent death threats to creators and directors for making choices they disagree with. They recently attacked a Mangaka's blog for such a thing actually. Poor sales aren't because of hate, it's because they just download shows or watch some other way due to high prices with low episode counts. The Umineko DVDs are about 50-60 dollars for two episodes...

Below is a picture of Amazon Japan's reviews for the series as proof that it's being recieved pretty well. Most comments on 2chan are pretty positive too.

Spoiler for picture:


Yes the second one was Google translated, but Google translate doesn't butcher meanings so much that the post could mean anything else. There are plenty of other post just like it as well.

Most of you need to sit back and watch the show without comparing it to the visual novel and maybe you'll realize that DEEN did a pretty good job. Things like "There is no Umineko anime" are just stupid when you made out with a pretty good show in the end. You're ruining it for the poor anime only people that want to enjoy this series but can't because everytime they do someone has to constantly tell them that the show is bad and that they should just read the VN and ditch it.

And yes I have read the visual novel.
I love you. You're totally right.

I'm really glad Umineko was animated because it's allowed me to get people into the series since anime is more accessible than the VN.

Complaining over little things like they didn't use a specific song is just silly imo. I LOVE the Umineko BGM but I'm more focused on the actual story and characters than the BGM when I'm watching it.
__________________

Am I the only one that thinks saying
'Red only tells the truth', to prove that it does, is a bit redundant?

I am Racheya-Beatrice, the Emerald Witch of Ambition
Racheya-sama is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 18:59   Link #116
luizf
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Rage moar people, it's funny
Anyway, this episode was quite good.. Sure, the bgms lacked some impact and they removed the scene with battle finding everyone's corpses, but I know a lot of people who didn't read the VN and were satisfed with the episode/the anime in general, so this is what matters, isn't?..
8/10
luizf is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 19:03   Link #117
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
All DEEN had to do to have me overlook anything about this episode was to add dreamenddischarger, but I couldn't get even that.

I'll give the episode a 5, but just because that part of the story was already good. I've got to admit, I'm being extremely generous.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 19:04   Link #118
Skreecher
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
To be honest, I think the anime was always doomed from the beginning. Since people were able to read the vs novel quite close to the time as the anime came out, or reading it along side the anime's airing, of course it wouldn't be able to live up to the expectations as people had just read "a completely awesome and memorable sound novel with very good build up of it's scenes" and they wanted an anime that was "completely awesome and memorable that did everything perfect, included everything that made the SN so great and memorable" but since the sound novel was SO long that they couldn't possible fit it all into a 26 ep season. Not too mention and the many MANY small things that may or may not have significance to the over all story of umineko, but make it awesome, it's not like they would be able to include everything.
The sound novel was created with no restrictions attached. They could make it how ever long they wanted, come up with what ever they wanted, and pretty much just do anything and it would be original to their story. But in creating an anime, they have so many restrictions, like time, being able to end and start an episode with perfect timing, trying to decide the best places in the story where to stop it for another week. And this is where everyone's opinions would clash with eachother on what would be the best choice.
And then the fan made ending. This also doomed the anime's ending, as it was free of... yet again, restrictions. They didn't have to worry about consistency as it was the only thing they animated. They also could have mad it as long as they wanted, as it was obviously not created for tv airing. They could also include any music they wanted as it was not anything official.
I think the sound novel players are too hard on the anime and kind of ruin it for people who do enjoy it. They should just take it for what it is. The anime isn't horrible and you can't say other wise because that is your opinion, but as long as there are people that are liking it, it doesn't make it truly *horrible*
__________________
"Have a nice dream. See you hell." "Cool" *bang*
Skreecher is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 19:04   Link #119
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Snorlax View Post


They're the same fucking scenes... If they aren't memorable that's not DEEN's fault.
The same scenes? Considering all the hacked emotions and the omitted red... they are the same?
I really doubt you can claim that Ange's scene wasn't memorable, though I doubt the impact is the same, if you consider the music the timing and so forth.
Let's take another example: will you say it is the same scene when Battler was being denied by Beato, while everyone (ange included) didn't even budge (aside of lambda)? There is a difference between "similar" and "the same".

Quote:
I don't understand what people's issue with the show is... It's a perfectly fine adaption, not perfect but no adaption is.
It isn't fine when, in a mystery/fantasy genre, the said direction omit toncrap of clues.
Are you going to tell me that "kanon being MIA" being omitted is a fine adaptation?

Quote:
A lot of you act as if another company could do better but really it'd be the same. You'd all be bitching about something as if it was the end of the world. I saw complaints that the anime would suck far before it actually aired. Complaints that the voices were unfitting, that the designs were horrible and did not do the game justice, and more. Most of you would never have been happy with this adaption, not because of DEEN, but because you're typical fans. But you know what? You really made out just fine. You act as if this anime was as godawful as the Transformers movies, an adaption that barely even concentrated on the characters and stories, or as rushed of an adaption as Chaos;Head anime. Sorry to tell you but DEEN did a good job with this show.
I think you are confusing people who are complaining with the actual missing content, and those who are totally bias and unreasonable in their claim.
Again the real problem is how the direction has a lot to be desired. Suffice to say, if that is enough for you, good grief. But I assure you that the glaring mistakes and missing content hurt the franchise a lot. (Like chrono said, Episode 5 is nearly impossible to adapt because of a lot of mistakes).

I won't claim that some aren't overdoing it. However, I really wonder what is this all "righteous" stance about. So far, I see complaints, but no "you say shit, it is shit, don't dare claiming it is fine adaption" and so forth. But weirdly enough, I see the opposite, borderline "cut it off with the rant, it is fine", which is not all respectful to say the least.

Finally, I see lots of disappointments, without it being the end of the world. There is some dramatization, but these kind of righteous comment is nothing better, alienating criticism into drama while they aren't. Do not put words in people mouth.

Quote:
The Japanese seemed to like it. I've read posts like "they're just to shy to admit they hate it.", but these are people who have sent death threats to creators and directors for making choices they disagree with. They recently attacked a Mangaka's blog for such a thing actually. Poor sales aren't because of hate, it's because they just download shows or watch some other way due to high prices with low episode counts. The Umineko DVDs are about 50-60 dollars for two episodes...
And from what you are basing that? As musouka said, many comments were anything but positive, while there were few "kitta!!" which are legion in any anime.
The DVD selling is irrelevant, but it is unlikely you have a positive reception, should you at least check most of the japanese board (some reactions are actually worse than what you can find here).
As you can expect, there are a lot of shades of grey in the reception over there, so the whole "they did like the adaptation" looks like a totally random claim to me.
Quote:
Below is a picture of Amazon Japan's reviews for the series as proof that it's being recieved pretty well. Most comments on 2chan are pretty positive too.

Spoiler for picture:


Yes the second one was Google translated, but Google translate doesn't butcher meanings so much that the post could mean anything else. There are plenty of other post just like it as well.
12 rating doesn't mean anything at all.
Considering the market over there, you don't buy that kind of dvd without watching the broadcast first and being pleased with it. So it doesn't take much thought process to conclude that most if not all people who purchased the DVD are happy with it. That doesn't represent a general point of view within the japanese fanbase, at all.
The rating reflect indeed the satisfaction of those who bought the DVD, but that doesn't mean everyone did. This is an abusive interpretation of evidence if you ask me.

Quote:
Most of you need to sit back and watch the show without comparing it to the visual novel and maybe you'll realize that DEEN did a pretty good job. Things like "There is no Umineko anime" are just stupid when you made out with a pretty good show in the end. You're ruining it for the poor anime only people that want to enjoy this series but can't because everytime they do someone has to constantly tell them that the show is bad and that they should just read the VN and ditch it.
I will again say it but: why doing an adaptation if it doesn't follow the bloody source material to a certain degree?
Again, some people have too high expectations, but the general idea is that: when you have an adaptation, it has to be compared with the source material, period.
Do you honestly think the adaptation was primarly done for non VN reader? That is totally nonsense, considering how many fanservice detail were put that are totally obscure to the non vn watcher (virgilia's "gapgapgap" is the prime example of this).

Again, the purpose of an adaptation is to allow the watchers to discover a franchise with another format. By this, why would they have to go back to the source material if they aren't pleased?
Do they suddenly lose their right to criticize something they didn't like? So suddenly, if you didn't read the VN beforehand, it becomes rightful to criticize? I seriously wonder what is this kind of reasoning here.
So long it isn't a plain and silly bash (which still happens mind you), anyone has as much right to praise or rant about a series, regardless if they know about it or not.

And if you are so concerned about people who can't "enjoy" a series because they see so many people saying it "is shit", I think it is that within these persons' responsibility to figure if what they are told is true or not. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but since everyone is entitled to their opinion, they "should" at least consider their opinion more than others'.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-12-23 at 19:27.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2009-12-23, 19:27   Link #120
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Snorlax View Post


They're the same fucking scenes... If they aren't memorable that's not DEEN's fault.

I don't understand what people's issue with the show is... It's a perfectly fine adaption, not perfect but no adaption is. A lot of you act as if another company could do better but really it'd be the same. You'd all be bitching about something as if it was the end of the world. I saw complaints that the anime would suck far before it actually aired. Complaints that the voices were unfitting, that the designs were horrible and did not do the game justice, and more. Most of you would never have been happy with this adaption, not because of DEEN, but because you're typical fans. But you know what? You really made out just fine. You act as if this anime was as godawful as the Transformers movies, an adaption that barely even concentrated on the characters and stories, or as rushed of an adaption as Chaos;Head anime. Sorry to tell you but DEEN did a good job with this show.

The Japanese seemed to like it. I've read posts like "they're just to shy to admit they hate it.", but these are people who have sent death threats to creators and directors for making choices they disagree with. They recently attacked a Mangaka's blog for such a thing actually. Poor sales aren't because of hate, it's because they just download shows or watch some other way due to high prices with low episode counts. The Umineko DVDs are about 50-60 dollars for two episodes...

Below is a picture of Amazon Japan's reviews for the series as proof that it's being recieved pretty well. Most comments on 2chan are pretty positive too.

Spoiler for picture:


Yes the second one was Google translated, but Google translate doesn't butcher meanings so much that the post could mean anything else. There are plenty of other post just like it as well.

Most of you need to sit back and watch the show without comparing it to the visual novel and maybe you'll realize that DEEN did a pretty good job. Things like "There is no Umineko anime" are just stupid when you made out with a pretty good show in the end. You're ruining it for the poor anime only people that want to enjoy this series but can't because everytime they do someone has to constantly tell them that the show is bad and that they should just read the VN and ditch it.

And yes I have read the visual novel.

Ahaha you can't be serious, if a scene lacks any emotion then yes it IS DEENs fault, no one has to hate the anime but don't go and try and defend everything people say is wrong with it. DEEN basterdised the ending by not having ANY emotion, failing to actually make the text actually red/blue and by cutting out emotional elements like Battler hugging Beatrice. Don't try and place crap on the sound novel as a way to defend a terrible anime
Kite22 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.