AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-27, 13:18   Link #3401
Ansalem
Speaker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I'd agree that it's generally pretty pricey. ~$15 for just a haircut at a barbers is the standard in places I've seen. At a hair salon, anything $30+ is normal, though that also includes the shampooing mentioned earlier. Also, you're supposed to tip.
__________________
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 14:49   Link #3402
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
I think Supercuts is $14 dollars. The barber I typically use is $12 and another was also $12 if I recall correctly.
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 12:53   Link #3403
Knight Hawk
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City
Yep $10~15 around these parts for a simple haircut, little less if your going for a "shape up". It also depends on the barbers price, since iv noticed in the same shop each barber has his own price-- bonus points if you happen to be his friend, pay less (This is in Jackson heights, parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx)

Now if you go to say Flushing, getting close to K-Town the price goes up since its a bit more fancy/more service. (Eye candy as well! korean womanz ) Never took a haircut in Manhattan, bet it's damn pricey.
__________________
--A dream called "Youth". We'll eventually wake up from this dream, but the memories will continue to endure. - Karasuma, School Rumble
--Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 06:13   Link #3404
Crisis
Rock on ^^
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Was is the average price for a haircut (dudes) in the U.S.?

I ask because of an american movie I was watching, where the barber charges 20 bucks for a simple haircut!

I mean WTF!? 20 bucks just for that! o_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Dunno about the U.S. but in the U.K a couple of local barbers charge 11-12 UKP for a basic haircut (that's $18-$19).
xris, where you live .. in Hampshire it must cost that much.
In East London, I get mine for 5 which is $8 ( by todays exchange rate ).

Daniel, depends upon the complexity of the haircut. I watched an African man get a haircut the other day for 30 mins. and he had so much specific demands .. 3cm this way . that side a tiny bit .. god!

`No offence meant to any African members.`
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 06:23   Link #3405
Crisis
Rock on ^^
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
It seems EuroStar trains broke down coz of the temperature outside being cold and in the inside of tunnel being hot. Why?
Actually, from what I have read in the newspapers over here in Sunny England ( sarcasm ),

the trains have snow guards... think of it like metallic skirts around the wheels. Apparently snow got in through the guards ( the snow guards were faulty??? ) and then sat inside while it was travelling in France. As the train got into the tunnel, the snow melted and KAPPOW! .. I mean short circuited stuff and the trains were borked
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 02:00   Link #3406
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Daniel, depends upon the complexity of the haircut. I watched an African man get a haircut the other day for 30 mins. and he had so much specific demands .. 3cm this way . that side a tiny bit .. god!

`No offence meant to any African members.`
Yeah, if you have a specific hair style, you'll obviously want to have something more than just a plain haircut.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 00:04   Link #3407
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Final silly question of the year

Why is it: 95% of the time i put on my earbuds without looking (which is most of the time), i always put the left earbud into my right ear (and it happened like hundreds of times already)? The two are the same and visually no different, except the "R" and "L" on them, so the chance should be 50-50 for this case, shouldn't it? Anyone got similar experience?

My three possible answers are:
- dejavu: so i always feel that it happened many more times that i actually is (when the actual ratio was close to 50-50)
- the earbud was specially designed: but shouldn't it be designed so the user would put the right earbud into right ear?
- divinity: the Universe or God designed things so, to prove that science and chance can't prove everything (it's silly through )
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 02:26   Link #3408
Woopzilla
Desensitized
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LV-426
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Final silly question of the year

Why is it: 95% of the time i put on my earbuds without looking (which is most of the time), i always put the left earbud into my right ear (and it happened like hundreds of times already)? The two are the same and visually no different, except the "R" and "L" on them, so the chance should be 50-50 for this case, shouldn't it? Anyone got similar experience?

My three possible answers are:
- dejavu: so i always feel that it happened many more times that i actually is (when the actual ratio was close to 50-50)
- the earbud was specially designed: but shouldn't it be designed so the user would put the right earbud into right ear?
- divinity: the Universe or God designed things so, to prove that science and chance can't prove everything (it's silly through )
It's probably just selective memory... you're more likely to remember instances where things 'go wrong' than when they don't.
__________________
Tsubasa Hanekawa of Bakemonogatari
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 02:56   Link #3409
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
It's probably just selective memory... you're more likely to remember instances where things 'go wrong' than when they don't.
this.

The memory of doing things that you do a lot lets you do things automatic
Same with other things you never forget like sitting on a bike, or making a dish
Left and right earplugs are not exactly the same in design, well mine aren't, if you have them in your ear the speaker part is sticking forward deeper into your ear, if you grab the earplug you automatically know which one it is based on touch and remembering what part goes where, like walking you never forget it not if you do it daily
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 04:36   Link #3410
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Just recently, I have tried to consciously put a random earbud into my ear without looking, and the chance actually around 50-50. So yeah, it's likely that either it was because selective memory or my unconscious mind choose the left one by default (as you two mentioned)....

PS: Ringo Mogire Beam~! and Kaerimichi are probably the two best OP of the year 2009, right ? ^^ ...and yeah Happy New Year everyone
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 06:55   Link #3411
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pearl of the Orient Seas
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty


this is ff9's zidane's ultima weapon

now, is there a blade like this in real life?
if so, what's it really called?
__________________

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 08:14   Link #3412
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
two spears glued together. I don't know what they're called but that is interesting. question: are there real authentic sharp death scythes?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 09:25   Link #3413
Crisis
Rock on ^^
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 29
In which thread over here can you list your fav. female anime characters?

I did in a Manga thread, but dont think thats right.
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 10:19   Link #3414
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post


this is ff9's zidane's ultima weapon

now, is there a blade like this in real life?
if so, what's it really called?
No, because it doesn't make any sense since it restricts movement. Ultimate weapon my arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
two spears glued together. I don't know what they're called but that is interesting. question: are there real authentic sharp death scythes?
Spear = shaft with pointy bit at one end (by definition it doesn't work). Scytes are not used as weapons unless you are talking about desperate times. The scyte is a agricultural tool; mostly cutting grass and similar. As with the above absurdity, its impractical because it restricts movement and there really is no advantageous angle it gives you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
In which thread over here can you list your fav. female anime characters?

I did in a Manga thread, but dont think thats right.
Your favourite anime character
The Hottest Anime Character
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 14:03   Link #3415
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
Silly question: How do I/ Can I burn a video file onto a DVD and play it on an Xbox360? Are there any complications? If it is possible ( and its not as easy as 1-2-3 can anyone explain)
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 15:51   Link #3416
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well, a quick google search shows there are some "wushu double headed spears", but I don't know if they were ever used in actual combat.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:06   Link #3417
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I repeat, spears by defintion do not have both ends sharpened! =P
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:14   Link #3418
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I repeat, spears by defintion do not have both ends sharpened! =P
Then how would you properly describe this abomination of warfare?
__________________
:3
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:50   Link #3419
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Poll with two blades at each end? Arguably I see it used more as a staff weapon then a spear which is mostly piercing action. If I were to get a poll and attach two boulders to each side would you refer to it as a hammer/spear? it doesn't need to have a one word name to be a weapon.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 17:01   Link #3420
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Look, it's a stick with a metal point on each end. How do you call it?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Poll with two blades at each end? Arguably I see it used more as a staff weapon then a spear which is mostly piercing action. If I were to get a poll and attach two boulders to each side would you refer to it as a hammer/spear? it doesn't need to have a one word name to be a weapon.
Thus, the "double headed" modifier.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.