AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-25, 16:04   Link #1801
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Hey guys, why is Goku scared of ChiChi hitting him when he can full on take attacks that can blow up planets! I don't get this obvious shonen cliche of a main character being "weaker" or not as alert to some things for the purpose of comedy or fanservice, please explain!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 16:46   Link #1802
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Because when it comes down to it, the attacks have absolutely no murderous intent in them . . . That'd be the best answer aside the obvious comic relief one.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 16:51   Link #1803
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
You may want to put you post in spoiler tags before someone who doesn't want to be spoiled sees it.

In repsonse:
Spoiler:
Well there's more to point out and enough questions if you ask me

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lummie; 2009-12-25 at 17:15.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 05:20   Link #1804
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
I wanted to point something out which is kinda unrealistic, even in the world of Medaka Box.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoilers 33:


EDIT: by access I mean assess T___T

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2009-12-27 at 15:09. Reason: typo
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 09:16   Link #1805
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Spoiler for spoilers 33:
Yeah, I can't wait to see the full translation. First time I've been really excited for a chapter of this manga to come out. :P
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 18:55   Link #1806
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Well there's more to point out and enough questions if you ask me

Spoiler:
On the first 3 from the chinese translation:
-Medaka points out that it's just artificial light and that you can see the ceiling tiles if you look hard enough. And if the raw's scan quality is good you can see the lines.
-Showing off and see if he's still got the groove?
-They are just along for the ride. They were just door guards who weren't special enough to pass the code test and have never been down there themselves.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 23:26   Link #1807
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Just read the translation:

Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-30 at 00:51.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 08:46   Link #1808
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
After trans...

Spoiler:
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 09:52   Link #1809
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Spoiler:
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 11:17   Link #1810
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Spoiler:
So if I would be slapping you in a face and then loudly proclaim I am your friend, I would be your friend?

Hardly, Medaka seems to be just claiming him to be her friend but doesnt seem to act as friend.

And no one considers her to want to help because she is an attention whore and likes to dominate poeple (which was that she herself admitted), so it is only natural to assume things based on such characteristics rather than suspect an altruism from such character as Medaka, there is nothing amusing in here.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:01   Link #1811
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Who slapped who, when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Hardly, Medaka seems to be just claiming him to be her friend but doesnt seem to act as friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Spoiler:
Addressed before you even said anything about it, and yet you still felt the need to say something about it . . .

I'm not going to point out specific examples of her acting like a friend because people are just going to dispute it anyway. For whatever reason, this seems to be a matter of personal preference instead of something you can actually prove or support with examples of the character's actions, so if what I already said doesn't work for you, then oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And no one considers her to want to help because she is an attention whore and likes to dominate poeple (which was that she herself admitted), so it is only natural to assume things based on such characteristics rather than suspect an altruism from such character as Medaka, there is nothing amusing in here.
Now this, I love. It's okay to take her for her word when she mentions dominating people, but when she says she was born for other people or that Zen is her precious friend, then we've got to filter it through a lens of "I don't like Medaka as a character" and assume she doesn't mean it?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:10   Link #1812
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Who slapped who, when?




Addressed before you even said anything about it, and yet you still felt the need to say something about it . . .

I'm not going to point out specific examples of her acting like a friend because people are just going to dispute it anyway. For whatever reason, this seems to be a matter of personal preference instead of something you can actually prove or support with examples of the character's actions, so if what I already said doesn't work for you, then oh well.



Now this, I love. It's okay to take her for her word when she mentions dominating people, but when she says she was born for other people or that Zen is her precious friend, then we've got to filter it through a lens of "I don't like Medaka as a character" and assume she doesn't mean it?
For me, I tend to believe the former over the latter due to her personality. She's shown herself to be dominating, tyrannical and hypocritical, so it kind of makes the whole "I live for others" thing feel like a cover-up. We do get a few moments where she does act like a friend, like when Unzen hurt everyone, but those are mostly overshadowed by the other moments.

True, some of this comes from the fact that I'm not a fan of Medaka, but the same can be said of the opposite-- if you like her, then you'll see her good side more. It's all just opinions and the truth is, we don't actually know how Medaka thinks because she's the ONLY person in the manga (besides Shiranui) whose head we don't get to see inside, so we can only go off of her actions and the way others around her view her. People tend to worship her in the manga and that type of thing turns people off, even if it is something she dislikes, she never does anything to stop it and by saying that she lives for others, she actually seems to be encouraging it.

She may be showing concern for her friends when she doesn't want them to fight, but she's also showing that she doesn't believe in them, either. What she doesn't seem to realize (or maybe she does) is that she's also holding them back when she does this.

Oh, and there is one example of her being petty and attention-needing. The painting chapter. She was upset that Shiranui was more prominent in the foreground than she was.
__________________

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-30 at 15:23.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:18   Link #1813
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Putting pressure on Zen in order to recruit him for the student council is not something you do out of friendship. She is aware of Zen's feelings and yet she manipulates him with her *cute* facial expressions. She's wrapping him around her finger and gets annoyed in situations where she can't dominate, especially where she feels that Shiranui is getting involved too much.

I say it again, Medaka doesn't value her friendship with Zen. When that artist kid drew a group picture representing the Student council and fellow students, she never pointed how she thought about this *friends* picture, no... she complained about why she didn't stand out more then Shiranui. C'mon, this is not something Medaka should say when she claims to be born for others. Her reaction even surprised Zen who didn't expect her to react like that. This is clearly someone who wants people's attention and doesn't view others at her level or appreciates other people's thoughts (in this case, the artist's).

She's aware of her inhuman abilities and yet the annoying bitch doesn't give in that she's not a ordinary human. Unless someone defeats her or surpass her ability as a normal human, she'll always be looking down on people and claim that humankind needs her as a savior and not as a friend.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 17:45   Link #1814
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
For me, I tend to believe the former over the latter due to her personality. She's shown herself to be dominating, tyrannical and hypocritical, so it kind of makes the whole "I live for others" thing feel like a cover-up. We do get a few moments where she does act like a friend, like when Unzen hurt everyone, but those are mostly overshadowed by the other moments.
When she says she lives for others, the only thing you have to look at are her actions. As the Student Council President, she's constantly going around helping whoever she can. Her personality has nothing to do with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
True, some of this comes from the fact that I'm not a fan of Medaka, but the same can be said of the opposite-- if you like her, then you'll see her good side more. It's all just opinions and the truth is, we don't actually know how Medaka thinks because she's the ONLY person in the manga (besides Shiranui) whose head we don't get to see inside, so we can only go off of her actions and the way others around her view her. People tend to worship her in the manga and that type of thing turns people off, even if it is something she dislikes, she never does anything to stop it and by saying that she lives for others, she actually seems to be encouraging it.
No, that doesn't work, because the people that hate her never give her credit for her good points. I have no problem acknowledging her bad qualities along with her good ones. I haven't read too many posts that would make me think others can do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
She may be showing concern for her friends when she doesn't want them to fight, but she's also showing that she doesn't believe in them, either. What she doesn't seem to realize (or maybe she does) is that she's also holding them back when she does this.
Her believing in them has nothing to do with anything. You also can't say she doesn't believe in them just because she would rather fight in their place. If they fight, they're probably going to get hurt. Win or lose, they will undoubtedly get hurt, or worse, and that's something she wants to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Oh, and there is one example of her being petty and attention-needing. The painting chapter. She was upset that Shiranui was more prominent in the foreground than she was.
What's your point? That entire chapter Medaka's pride was being crushed, along with the other girls, because the artist couldn't use them as a model. And we've always known Medaka loves to show off. That was made clear the first time she was stripping in front of Zen like it was no big deal and at the start of the chapter when she readily agrees to model. After being told she was going to be a model, and then getting kicked to the curb for some loli glutton, of course she would want to at least not be overshadowed like in the crowd picture she was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Putting pressure on Zen in order to recruit him for the student council is not something you do out of friendship. She is aware of Zen's feelings and yet she manipulates him with her *cute* facial expressions. She's wrapping him around her finger and gets annoyed in situations where she can't dominate, especially where she feels that Shiranui is getting involved too much.
I'm honestly not even sure if we're reading the same manga. Has Medaka ever used a cute facial expression to get Zen to do something? Being annoyed at not being able to dominate, is that directed at Zen or just not dominating in general? When was Shiranui ever involved too much? And what annoyance did she show because of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
I say it again, Medaka doesn't value her friendship with Zen. When that artist kid drew a group picture representing the Student council and fellow students, she never pointed how she thought about this *friends* picture, no... she complained about why she didn't stand out more then Shiranui. C'mon, this is not something Medaka should say when she claims to be born for others. Her reaction even surprised Zen who didn't expect her to react like that. This is clearly someone who wants people's attention and doesn't view others at her level or appreciates other people's thoughts (in this case, the artist's).
I'm not sure how much deep insight and appreciation you expected when the picture wasn't introduced until there was only half a page of the chapter left . . . Zen wasn't surprised. He was annoyed. He wanted her to cheer up, not start pouting over a minor, though legitimate, detail.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:27   Link #1815
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I'm honestly not even sure if we're reading the same manga.
I'm sure you're reading different manga than KLGChaos, Darknemo2000, Lummie, myself, and a lots of other people. IMHO you're reading a manga author think he is writing, but failed to.
Author failed to convince a lots of readers that Medaka is a good girl, feeling lonely and insecure because of her abilities. She has told it once, as well as few other characters, but for lots of readers her actions proved otherwise. I think author wanted to show that Medaka does love Zenkichi, but doesn't know how to show it. On mangafox forum once was very nice and detailed thread with proofs that she doesn't love him, and treat him only as a lapdog (I'm not able to find it anymore). Author thinks that Zenkichi is a protagonist, together with Medaka, but for many readers Zenkichi is, at best, secondary character.
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:41   Link #1816
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I'm honestly not even sure if we're reading the same manga. Has Medaka ever used a cute facial expression to get Zen to do something? Being annoyed at not being able to dominate, is that directed at Zen or just not dominating in general? When was Shiranui ever involved too much? And what annoyance did she show because of it?
For the cute face, see below

Quote:
http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/1/57/ < Here to secure that Zen stays as council member, he even calls it her special second skill.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/6/10/ < Here to force Zen in a childish way to win a match despite his injuries because the mighty Medaka refuses losing as option.

She uses that face so often to keep those who have feelings towards her in check like here with Akune: http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/7/18/

Or when she wanted something from her brother: http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/26/05/
As for Shiranui

Quote:
Medaka: Seeing you get on so well with that shiranui girl is a little unsetteling >
http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/12/

Zen: Just leave it to me and Shiranui
Medaka: You and Shiranui?
http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/13/

If you can't notice her next action and her facial expression about Shiranui's involvement...

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/14/
I've placed everything above, there's more but then again i guess we really don't read the same manga...

Last edited by Lummie; 2009-12-30 at 19:05.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 19:03   Link #1817
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Very nice Lummie...

Medaka is just as manipulative if not more than Shiranui is...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 19:08   Link #1818
Amegashita
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Well since the subject is getting a tad bit interesting I'd like to post my opinion about that whole Medaka getting angry because it's Shiranui. As I recall, during the dog chapter Medaka got pretty angry that Zenkichi was asking Shiranui for help with a request. Yet in a later chapter, she never even batted an eyelash in the chapter where Kikajumi tried to kiss Zen. Might add that during that chapter she made Akune come with her to help with a request.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 21:35   Link #1819
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
For the cute face, see below

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/1/57/ < Here to secure that Zen stays as council member, he even calls it her special second skill.

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/6/10/ < Here to force Zen in a childish way to win a match despite his injuries because the mighty Medaka refuses losing as option.

She uses that face so often to keep those who have feelings towards her in check like here with Akune: http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/7/18/

Or when she wanted something from her brother: http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/26/05/
In the ones from chapter one and seven, she's only using that face in saying thanks, not to get either of the two to do something. They've already agreed. Is it wrong to smile when saying thanks to someone?

In the one from ch 26, she's not using that face to force her brother to do anything. Her brother is completely in love with her and doesn't need any kind of coercion if Medaka wants him to do something. She used that face to cover up her disgust with having to be in his presence. On the previous page, Zen is the one that even told her to smile instead of showing her disgust so openly.

For the one from chapter six, I could argue that Zen isn't even looking at her when she makes that face. It's clear that she's standing behind him, and of the character's reactions to her outburst that we see, Zen's isn't one of them. Zen is looking at Akune, and proceeds to tackle him for the win. I could argue that, but let's not dwell on that fact. In that scene, what Medaka says is what motivates Zen to win. She says that she'd cry if he lost, and he says he doesn't even want to think about it, much less see it. If you want to call it manipulative, fine. It was. She used what she knew about her friend to get him to stop embarrassing himself. I think that's a good thing, personally.

Was that all the examples? Those weren't convincing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
As for Shiranui

Medaka: Seeing you get on so well with that shiranui girl is a little unsetteling >
http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/12/

Zen: Just leave it to me and Shiranui
Medaka: You and Shiranui?
http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/13/

If you can't notice her next action and her facial expression about Shiranui's involvement...

http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/3/14/
I've placed everything above, there's more but then again i guess we really don't read the same manga...
Hmm, it sounded like you were complaining about Medaka getting annoyed when Shiranui interfered with her ability to dominate a situation . . . But you're not, at least not from the example you used. If you were complaining about that, then pull examples that actually show it. If you weren't complaining about it, then you need to be clearer with what you say.

The examples you pulled out only show Medaka's jealousy of Zen and Shiranui being too close. That's not a big secret, or even surprising. Shiranui would very likely steal Zen from Medaka if given the chance, and Medaka is probably aware of this.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 11:11   Link #1820
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Now this, I love. It's okay to take her for her word when she mentions dominating people, but when she says she was born for other people or that Zen is her precious friend, then we've got to filter it through a lens of "I don't like Medaka as a character" and assume she doesn't mean it?
Now this I love. What gives her words more weight in this case? Is that she acts on those words - she indeed messes with other people and acts as a tyrant, while on the other hand her being a friend - is very questionable since I have not seen her being a true friend - just willing to fight all fights and calls herself a friend which is a very weak argument for being a friend you know.

But again it seems like you are content on staying in your delusions, oh well.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.