AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-16, 04:36   Link #341
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Aww, Rio's character design and this episode made me wish she was a major character, but she doesn't even show up in the ED.
Yeah i really liked her design, plus her character in this episode. I still think she can be in this show even though she's not in the OP, though her story has kinda been and gone now. I don't see what role she can play now, apart from being a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrimosa View Post
Here are some scans I found.. sorry if any have already been posted. oAo;
Yeah they were, by me.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 05:10   Link #342
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The interesting thing about the pictures (at least the ones I saw) is that there's nothing implicating an affair. Close contact maybe but just meeting another woman isn't a crime. It could have been any number of reasons besides an affair that he was meeting with her. Heck that may even be why the mother never said anything after she saw them, she may have known all about it. When were those pictures taken, days, weeks, months, years possibly?

Rio never asked about the pictures or the implications in them to either of her parents. Sure it's a difficult topic to bring up but she assumed it was an affair when it could have easily been something else. It certainly didn't help that she was manipulated almost the entire time though by her sympathizer, but he wasn't wrong in his assessment of her.

Up until the end anyway...makes me wonder what the marks he scratched are for.
Here is a devious outlook from a different angle which does suit the grim, sobering atmosphere: It's quite possible she is also having (or had) an affair of her own. Also, most hotel in Japan are for those romantic get away. An article surfaced couple of months ago about how Japan's hotel industry was unaffected by the lagging economy. He is having an affair alright.

I also liked the message where it says something along the line of, "the world isn't as difficult as you perceive it to be." Japan is on the top 3 in suicide rates. In 2009, they equaled the highest number of suicide in the last four decades. So I was very intrigued by the brief conversation between those two on the ledge of that roof. The dialogues were so rich that it was very difficult to take any kind of side. She was pityful and he was ruthless, but both of those outlook aren't without merit. So that lingering flashing text at the end of that miracle, "the world isn't as difficult as you preceive it to be" was just....... well, it hit the spot.

There should be more messages like these conveyed to the public in Japan.

This show, by far, the best that I've checked out from this new season. Sora no Wo to has breath-taking overall animation, but the story wasn't as engaging as of yet. This one was intriguing from the get go. This show reminds me of Baccano, but I'm sure it has been mentioned more than once over here.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 05:34   Link #343
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
This show reminds me of Baccano, but I'm sure it has been mentioned more than once over here.
Along with the obvious reasons as to why it would remind you of Baccano.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 06:40   Link #344
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Here is a devious outlook from a different angle which does suit the grim, sobering atmosphere: It's quite possible she is also having (or had) an affair of her own. Also, most hotel in Japan are for those romantic get away. An article surfaced couple of months ago about how Japan's hotel industry was unaffected by the lagging economy. He is having an affair alright.
Fair enough. I guess my thinking was more like giving the situation the benefit of the doubt, however it is true that in the context of the setting and where the show is produced your scenario is more likely. I recently read an article describing the high infidelity rate (which itself covered a pretty wide range of topics) and the pressures Japanese society places on relationships. It's almost a trope in anime where the parents are nonexistent or just work so much they may as well be. Here's a recent Japanese movie that some might find interesting on the subject of family life there Tokyo Sonata.

Quote:
There should be more messages like these conveyed to the public in Japan.
I agree. In fact I think the message is strong enough to apply to public outside of Japan. For me personally, it held a lot of meaning.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 06:51   Link #345
KOapps
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to KOapps
Spoiler for avatars(ep2):
KOapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 07:43   Link #346
Battler-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Can't wait more for Izaya's "just as planned".

I want him to screw people around more. I have enough of righteous moral-nagging characters.
Really disturbing.

I hope the author doesn't screw his character.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 08:35   Link #347
Lacrimosa
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah they were, by me.
My baaaad. xD Didn't see the last one posted though, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
So that lingering flashing text at the end of that miracle, "the world isn't as difficult as you preceive it to be" was just....... well, it hit the spot.
I agree, big time. I was actually feeling really shitty while watching the episode, so that part at the ending.. really hit me. <.<; Actually made me feel quite a bit better! haha
Lacrimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 09:02   Link #348
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOapps View Post
Spoiler for avatars(ep2):
Oh, I do like this one (^____^) Can I use it elsewhere?

About that message "The world isn't as bad as you think it to be"... I do agree it is important that more Japanese hear and actually take heed of this kind of message, but the problems that give rise to their depressing thoughts (for the relevant people) are often a lot deeper than mere words can dispel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I recently read an article describing the high infidelity rate (which itself covered a pretty wide range of topics) and the pressures Japanese society places on relationships. It's almost a trope in anime where the parents are nonexistent or just work so much they may as well be.
Do you have a link to this article? I'd like to read it if I can.

Also...a trope in anime? It's reality for a good proportion of kids, at least in terms of their fathers. Most of the kids/students I know don't spend much time with their families.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 09:19   Link #349
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i really liked her design, plus her character in this episode. I still think she can be in this show even though she's not in the OP, though her story has kinda been and gone now. I don't see what role she can play now, apart from being a friend.
She does appear in the OP...
Watch the scene in OP where Simon is introduced...
You'll see Rio walking past Simon...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 09:23   Link #350
KOapps
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to KOapps
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Oh, I do like this one (^____^) Can I use it elsewhere?
No problem, just use it.
KOapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 10:28   Link #351
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
She does appear in the OP...
Watch the scene in OP where Simon is introduced...
You'll see Rio walking past Simon...
You know what i meant.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 11:05   Link #352
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Like with Baccano!, I enjoyed this episode much more than the first, but then I'd much rather watch a show with strong characterizations than "action."

I thought the photograph of the father and his mistress entering a hotel together pretty much sealed the deal as to whether they were having an affair. Her mother's reaction was also pretty understandable, though we don't know went on between them behind closed doors. Nor do we know whether the father broke off the relationship. Rio doesn't seem to consider the possibility that the photographs might be of events that took place in the past and nay have already been resolved between her parents.

My only real disappointment is that it's yet another show about teenagers and angst. Baccano! was a breath of fresh air in that all of its main characters were adults (even if they didn't always look it). I'll still watch this show as long as the writing remains at the same high level.

For software junkies, the email program being used in one scene is Mozilla Thunderbird (my email client of choice as well.)

I also discovered the answer to my earlier question about where the Brains-Base logo appears during the ED; it's on a billboard at the very beginning of the sequence.

On a related note, just this morning I opened an email for Tokyopop about a new manga series named Orange whose main character is, you guessed it, a depressed teenage girl contemplating suicide.

Spoiler for Orange synopsis from its website:
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 11:40   Link #353
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
It is praiseworthy fact that they used those scenes very effectively.
The art on the otherhand is not praiseworthy, at least during those scenes.

Quote:
And you keep saying as if nothing important or meaningful happened in the repeating scenes.
Putting words in my mouth much? I never said anything remotely close to that, that nothing important or meaningful happened in those scenes. You're reading too much in between the lines.

Quote:
If those 3 mins were pure flashback then I would agree with you, but they weren't.
But I'm not complaining about it being 'flashback' or not.

Quote:
Also how are the narration besides the point? They were part of the scenes and can't be ignored.
You really don't get it do you? I'm not complaining about the narration, or the scene itself. For the umpteenth time, I'm complaining about the art being reused. Apples and oranges, much? Just like you can have an overall great fruit bowl, you can still say 'oh the grapes are rotten' in order to point out the individual flaws. Just because all the rest of fruits was awesome doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that big flaw that was the grapes.


Quote:
Also you keep talking about 1/8 and 12.5% to make it seem like it was a huge chunk.
Uhh, it is a huge chunk. If you don't think it is, then we're not going to reach an agreement here. We already have 3 mins 'wasted' on reused animation for the OP+ED (which I can tolerate, since its easy to skip over those), I don't want another 3 mins of stuff I've seen already, thank you very much.

Quote:
But those were very short moments and there were some new scenes between and also the fact that there were interval with new scenes, which didn't resulted in 3mins of pure repetition.
Still doesn't change the fact that it was 3 mins of recycled footage. You can sugar coat it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that they could've animated it a new way.

Quote:
Those were very short scenes and I saw plenty of animes with flashback like those, but yet I have never seen people complaining about it.
stuopidget at the very least shares my views, as s/he said that they used too much recycled footage after the OP.

Quote:
So I don't see why those very short scenes should be complained.
Same reason why I hate mecha shows that recycle footage about the protagonists downing the grunts. I'm watching anime partly for art, and seeing a big chunk of it repeated really grates my nerves. It's the same reason why people complain about very long still shots in other anime that pretty much abuse it, EVEN THOUGH that scene still was 'meaningful' in some sort of way.

Take Bakemonogatori for example. For all its strength in story telling, there were still people who didn't like the art style because the director used way too many still shots. Same thing here... I don't like the art style here during those 3 mins because the director used way too many recycled footage, despite me thinking the story is still great and all.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 13:43   Link #354
Auria
...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Catbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
Can't wait more for Izaya's "just as planned".

I want him to screw people around more.
my words you can find me in the izaya fangirl section then.

Just looved the second episode, narration by Sawashiro was right on..
Auria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 14:22   Link #355
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Putting words in my mouth much? I never said anything remotely close to that, that nothing important or meaningful happened in those scenes. You're reading too much in between the lines.
Hence I used "as", meaning that is what it seems to be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
You really don't get it do you? I'm not complaining about the narration, or the scene itself. For the umpteenth time, I'm complaining about the art being reused. Apples and oranges, much? Just like you can have an overall great fruit bowl, you can still say 'oh the grapes are rotten' in order to point out the individual flaws. Just because all the rest of fruits was awesome doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that big flaw that was the grapes.
Ok, I think I understand your point better now. But I don't believe that would be practical for them to reanimate the whole thing. And I suppose you could call it being lazy. But I just don't think it is a flaw as you would have put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Uhh, it is a huge chunk. If you don't think it is, then we're not going to reach an agreement here. We already have 3 mins 'wasted' on reused animation for the OP+ED (which I can tolerate, since its easy to skip over those), I don't want another 3 mins of stuff I've seen already, thank you very much.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that it was 3 mins of recycled footage. You can sugar coat it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that they could've animated it a new way.
They could have definitely done that. But again I don't think that would be very practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Same reason why I hate mecha shows that recycle footage about the protagonists downing the grunts. I'm watching anime partly for art, and seeing a big chunk of it repeated really grates my nerves. It's the same reason why people complain about very long still shots in other anime that pretty much abuse it, EVEN THOUGH that scene still was 'meaningful' in some sort of way.
This is going to be off topic but please don't think mech shows like Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny as the representatives of mech genre. As for myself I don't mind recycled scenes if it is done well and has a purpose.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 14:29   Link #356
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My only real disappointment is that it's yet another show about teenagers and angst. Baccano! was a breath of fresh air in that all of its main characters were adults (even if they didn't always look it). I'll still watch this show as long as the writing remains at the same high level.
Ah, Sensei... When I was young I had to walk 10 miles uphill (both ways) through heavy snow in 110 degree weather (Celsius) just to get to the cardboard box I lived in so I could watch my anime on a 3" black and white TV.

Alas, the narrative stage of anime is forever destined to be the lives of angst-ridden teens. I look at it as a chance to feel young even if I'm not all that young anymore. As long as it can give us the likes of True Tears and Cross Game, I'll happily accept the rare gems like Moribito and Baccano that actually don't feature teenagers.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 14:37   Link #357
Avisch
Reality Blender
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Wasn't sure if I was going to like Izaya, but I guess I do. That last line is funny "Izaya the informant isn't that bad" *Adds him to favorite character list*

Anyone else say "KEIKAKU DOORI"?-Ok I got to get that meme out of my head, I hate Death Note, but I love that meme.

Selty manages be very wonderful in this episode. Somehow I knew when she said "My job ends here", she was going to show up later.

And Vendichine-tan first few minutes are pretty epic. "IM NOT VERY BUSY BUT YOU ARE TAKING UP TOO MUCH TIME"
__________________

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 16:12   Link #358
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Do you have a link to this article? I'd like to read it if I can.

Also...a trope in anime? It's reality for a good proportion of kids, at least in terms of their fathers. Most of the kids/students I know don't spend much time with their families.
Well, I may be using the word trope a bit loosely here. But anime do tend to downplay parents significantly, it's rare to see parents at all and when you do it's not always in the most favorable of lights, or they're amazing parents who support their children no matter how crazy the adventure is. When the first episode of Tokyo 8.0 aired for example, there was quite a bit of discussion about the portrayal of Mirai's parents and the accuracy of how families in Japan were portrayed.

I can't seem to find the article but I swear it was on Sankaku. It was linked in with another article that polled men and women in Japan about what they looked for in a potential partner. Something about "herbivorous" men? I'll keep looking and if I can find the specific article I'll link it.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 16:34   Link #359
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Here's one version of that story: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...70#post2541970
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 16:36   Link #360
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Spoiler for article:


46%. That's a lot. The date an otaku because they "don't" article is even better.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2010-01-16 at 16:48.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, mystery, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.