AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-20, 14:20   Link #5501
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
Let's be clear here. There are Republican seats in trouble too.

I think the mood in the country is anti-incumbent for both parties. Both parties have done a poor job so far.
but the demos are in charge of the white house, senate and house. so while there is a strong anti-incumbent sentiment against both parties it will be the democrats that feel it the most.

obama mistake was that he got started on the big stuff too early. he and the other democratic leaders misread the 2008 election as a vote for democrats while in reality it was a vote against bush. He should made the economy the #1 priority and put the health care and the climate change legislation on the back burner. if the dems don't want to lose as badly as 1994 they need to go back tot he bread and butter issues, JOBS JOBS and JOBS. As far as the health Care bill, drop it but go ahead and take away the heath care insurance industry anti-trust protection, then have the justice applied the anti-trust laws.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:35   Link #5502
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
The conventional wisdom 4 weeks ago was the Dem was a gimme to win the Senate seat, so much so that they didn't even need to campaign.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:39   Link #5503
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
The conventional wisdom 4 weeks ago was the Dem was a gimme to win the Senate seat, so much so that they didn't even need to campaign.
that wasn't conventional wisdom that was the dems and cokley being blind.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:48   Link #5504
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that wasn't conventional wisdom that was the dems and cokley being blind.
It was conventional wisdom, the last time a Republican held that seat was 1952 according to MSNBC last night. Massachusetts has been a hard core Democratic State for decades.

---

No one even mentioned the MA Senate race until month ago. Two months ago even most Republicans considered that race a lock up for Coakley. It was only in the last few weeks that everyone realized "hey, he might win this thing".
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 14:51   Link #5505
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
It was conventional wisdom, the last time a Republican held that seat was 1952 according to MSNBC last night. Massachusetts has been a hard core Democratic State for decades.
Mass had 2 Repb governor in the last 20 yrs both i believed serve 2 terms and were not voted out. Mass is blue but not as blue as people think.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:23   Link #5506
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
From what I can tell in Mass. ... three things happened:
1) the progressive faction stayed home to protest the corporatist juggernaut pushing the buttons on Wall Street bailouts and the healthcare debacle.
2) the teabagger faction came out to protest the "government takeover" of everything (which is sort of true if you understand the government is being manipulated by the 'corporati' through the last few administrations in a steady looting of the treasury and a decimation of the infrastructure through privatization without accountability).
3) They already *have* a uni-healthcare system and neither the local repubs or dems are going to touch it -- the voters were not happy at the prospect of the screwed up Congressional bill over-riding it.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:40   Link #5507
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
but the demos are in charge of the white house, senate and house. so while there is a strong anti-incumbent sentiment against both parties it will be the democrats that feel it the most.

obama mistake was that he got started on the big stuff too early. he and the other democratic leaders misread the 2008 election as a vote for democrats while in reality it was a vote against bush. He should made the economy the #1 priority and put the health care and the climate change legislation on the back burner. if the dems don't want to lose as badly as 1994 they need to go back tot he bread and butter issues, JOBS JOBS and JOBS. As far as the health Care bill, drop it but go ahead and take away the heath care insurance industry anti-trust protection, then have the justice applied the anti-trust laws.
I don't believe Obama's mistake was that he started the big stuff early. I think his mistake was he didn't take charge of the issues. In my opinion, he just sat in the sidelines twiddling his thumbs while waiting for the the House and Senate to screw everything.

If he said exactly what he wanted, how it would help the people and the economy, and why it needs to be passed now, then I'm sure the bill would've been passed already and he'd be working on jobs.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:46   Link #5508
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
Let's be clear here. There are Republican seats in trouble too.

I think the mood in the country is anti-incumbent for both parties. Both parties have done a poor job so far.
I don't see any Republican seats in trouble at the moment. A ton of Republican senators are retiring and a year ago it looked like the Democrats could possibly expand their majority, but not now. Even Florida and New Hampshire seem safe for the Republicans. Though things could change between now and November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Mass had 2 Repb governor in the last 20 yrs both i believed serve 2 terms and were not voted out. Mass is blue but not as blue as people think.
State politics have nothing to do with national politics. Wyoming and Oklahoma have Democratic governors but no one thinks Democrats have a chance of picking up senate seats there. Same thing for Vermont with a Republican governor. It was very much the conventional wisdom the Democrats would easily keep the Massachusetts senate seat. That's why there weren't any exit polls yesterday: why waste the money when Coakley was up 20-30 points in December?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 16:52   Link #5509
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Proposed Australian Legislation to have Overseas ISP Filtering

If this passes... could this be the first in the western world?



additional sources
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/funding_and_..._isp_filtering
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfn5rwh3_156cm9tk9cv
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 17:40   Link #5510
Shyne
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to Shyne
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...llwhite_a.html

Heard about this on Around The Horn today ( a sports show on ESPN). They, as I, am disgusted by the racism that screams at you in this instance. Last time I looked it is 2010 not 1910. How do we (united states), as a nation, justify this idea? Thank god so far no city has accepted the propal to host a team for said league. I am not a fan of basketball by any means. However, this is not only degrated and insulting to basketball players, but to every human being on the planet who has a working and well functioning brain. I cannot grasp the concept to segregating a league like this for any race. I will stop now before I seep bad language into this post.
__________________
Feel Free to send me a message

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 17:57   Link #5511
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...llwhite_a.html

Heard about this on Around The Horn today ( a sports show on ESPN). They, as I, am disgusted by the racism that screams at you in this instance. Last time I looked it is 2010 not 1910. How do we (united states), as a nation, justify this idea? Thank god so far no city has accepted the propal to host a team for said league. I am not a fan of basketball by any means. However, this is not only degrated and insulting to basketball players, but to every human being on the planet who has a working and well functioning brain. I cannot grasp the concept to segregating a league like this for any race. I will stop now before I seep bad language into this post.
Well, yeah, there's some racism behind that. Lots of racist stereotypes bandied about to justify the move. But, on the other hand... Sports are like porn. A trivial activity that for some baffling reason lots of people pay good money to watch other people practicing. Is it so shocking (or racist) to see porn movies clearly labeled as being about black males doing it with asian women while caucasian hermaphrodites watch?

So, really, I'm not sure if it's racism as much as it simply is people trying to make money.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:07   Link #5512
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: A furry den
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...llwhite_a.html

Heard about this on Around The Horn today ( a sports show on ESPN). They, as I, am disgusted by the racism that screams at you in this instance. Last time I looked it is 2010 not 1910. How do we (united states), as a nation, justify this idea? Thank god so far no city has accepted the propal to host a team for said league. I am not a fan of basketball by any means. However, this is not only degrated and insulting to basketball players, but to every human being on the planet who has a working and well functioning brain. I cannot grasp the concept to segregating a league like this for any race. I will stop now before I seep bad language into this post.
That is really really disgusting. I agree with you, it shouldn't happen
__________________
"That bus! It has an awesome ring to it!"
Haruka_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:11   Link #5513
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So, really, I'm not sure if it's racism as much as it simply is people trying to make money.
Come on now, let's call a spade a spade. The only way it'll sell is to the racist crowd. And unlike porn the shape and color of the basketball player's...limb...isn't the product.

Ze Americans are very sensitive to these "indirect" racist activities. They have, you see, a whole history of such dirty tactics and quiet institutionalization of racism being used.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:24   Link #5514
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Come on now, let's call a spade a spade. The only way it'll sell is to the racist crowd.
Well, yes. But their money is as good as anyone else's. Indistinguishable, in fact. (We have a saying about it. "L'argent n'a pas d'odeur". "Money has no smell".)

Quote:
And unlike porn the shape and color of the basketball player's...limb...isn't the product.
Eh. I'm not so sure about that. But then around here we sell calendars of naked athletes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:40   Link #5515
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne View Post

that's just reinforcing the stereotype that white americans can't play real basketball
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 19:00   Link #5516
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Why else are African Americans so prevalent if they aren't competent? Last I heard it was still people like Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett who dominate the game. Jealousy is very unbecoming, half-assed excuses worse.
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 19:31   Link #5517
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, yes. But their money is as good as anyone else's. Indistinguishable, in fact. (We have a saying about it. "L'argent n'a pas d'odeur". "Money has no smell".)


Eh. I'm not so sure about that. But then around here we sell calendars of naked athletes.
Read the article... it's clear the promoter is a racist, because clearly only black/colored players grab their croaches, rolleyes. Oh yea and only black players get angry at crowds... this guy is a racist and to deny racism solely because of "non street ball" is ridiculous. If it's like porn call it what it is, racist basketball league is fine, because a proprietor they have the right to allow who can and can't play based on their entertainment standards but they shouldn't hide their racism with stupid stereotypes and euphenisms of what their really doing.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 20:42   Link #5518
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
This is very much racist. Plus, it says caucasian, but I doubt they'd let people of Arab decent join even though they are in fact as caucasian as some white guy from Europe.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 20:44   Link #5519
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
the right is fighting for freedom of speech.... LOL that's funny.
also... the right claims they want less government control yet they want to restrict the right for women to choose what they can and cannot do with their bodies... talk about the hypocrisy.
and a note... the "left" most likely wouldn't lose, but hey just because your a "leftist" means you don't know how to use a gun amirite. Your partisan talking points really do get boring.
The left hate the 2nd Amendment. That's not to say all Democrats hate it, they don't. I know quite a few who own guns. But take a look at all the left leaning cities and states, and look at their gun laws. California for example. You can't own a large percentage of guns that are sold in other parts of the country for whatever reason. You're limited to the capacity of magzines, barrel length, if it's an 'evil assault rifle', it's only legal if a tool is required to remove the magazine. You have to wait 10 days after going through the background check and paying for the firearm, before you are allowed to get it. In states like Nevada and Arizona, you can walk out the same day with that firearm after going through a background check over the phone.

Also, it is almost impossible to get a concealed carry license here in California. And California does NOT honor a license issued in other states. Utah's license is good in 28 states. California just passed a law that you won't be able to buy ammunition from out of state, you'll be fingerprinted and IDed when you purchase locally, AND you're limited to how much you can buy.

Don't even get me started on the first amendment as I can show you countless youtube videos of Republicans getting assaulted by leftists at universities, or just on the street during protests. Compare that to the Tea Party protests where there was no arrests or violence reported on any of them.

Should I also bring up the fact that leftists have been trying to bring back the 'Fairness Doctrine' and limit talk radio?

-off to take care of some household chores as he just got home from work-
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 22:02   Link #5520
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, yes. But their money is as good as anyone else's. Indistinguishable, in fact. (We have a saying about it. "L'argent n'a pas d'odeur". "Money has no smell".)
Oh, but money does smell. Money is power. It's very well understood here, which is why people are quite sensitive.

More directly speaking, this is the same principle at work as the question if a "private" restaurant can refuse a client or a "private" bus system can refuse a passenger based on his or her color of skin. The American answer? Nein. Businesses open to the "public" are public space, to be as free from discrimination as realistically possible, according to rulings handed down during the Civil Rights Era when a proper liberal sat on the court for once (); and this is on an even bigger scale than a restaurant. Much bigger.

Somebody will be fired for this, and I hope it's not the scapegoat.

Quote:
Eh. I'm not so sure about that. But then around here we sell calendars of naked athletes.
But while the ladies back in the days would scream for David Beckham and not Ryan Giggs (or would they?), it's not like Beckham got there because he was kinda cute. He got their because he kicked butt, or balls...eh, you know what I mean.

Likewise, Kobe got there not because he was black, tall, dark, handsome, whatever, but because he was that good at basketball.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.