AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-07-19, 17:50   Link #1
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Question about the AnimeSuki Calendar

I got a(most likely useless and stupid) question about the Calendar function of the Forum:

What is the point in having them? I just tried to add a "Recurring Event" but I seem to not have the rights to do that. Why is that? Could it be that the Calendar cannot be customized because the users don't have an individual calendar but everybody sees the same calendar?

EDIT: This thread wakes painful memories of this thread...
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-20 at 04:28.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-21, 12:50   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Does really noone know the answer for this?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-21, 13:32   Link #3
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Lightbulb

As far as I know only Administrators have access to the* calendar. I did question why it was so restrictive (even Moderators can't add a simple event) but no one has had the time or inclination to look into it / explain the reasoning yet.

I think general access was originally turned off to stop members posting lots of random rubbish that would ultimately be displayed on the front page of the forum. That needn't be the case, of course, as there are ways to add, configure and moderate as many calendars as you could ever need -- just as there are ways to add user groups and lots of other weird and wonderful things -- it is just that right now we simply don't see the need for them.

* - As in, yes we only have one at the moment and no user can't have their own personal calendar in this version of the forum software (to my knowledge)
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-21, 13:56   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
As far as I know only Administrators have access to the* calendar. I did question why it was so restrictive (even Moderators can't add a simple event) but no one has had the time or inclination to look into it / explain the reasoning yet.

I think general access was originally turned off to stop members posting lots of random rubbish that would ultimately be displayed on the front page of the forum. That needn't be the case, of course, as there are ways to add, configure and moderate as many calendars as you could ever need -- just as there are ways to add user groups and lots of other weird and wonderful things -- it is just that right now we simply don't see the need for them.

* - As in, yes we only have one at the moment and no user can't have their own personal calendar in this version of the forum software (to my knowledge)
Yay, thanks for the anwer. Actually, it would be handy to have a unique calendar for every user since you can add useful (albeit for most people useless) events like when to phone someone or something like that. Since I always forget the most important things in life, it would be a big plus!

Old 2004-07-21, 14:09   Link #5
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Wink

... or you could just download / buy software to do it for you, in private, on your own computer, offering greater flexibility and functionality.
Old 2004-07-21, 14:11   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Wow, your sig just fits here perfectly:

It's hard... but it's harder to ignore it.

Old 2004-07-24, 09:15   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I got a(most likely useless and stupid) question about the Calendar function of the Forum:

What is the point in having them? I just tried to add a "Recurring Event" but I seem to not have the rights to do that. Why is that? Could it be that the Calendar cannot be customized because the users don't have an individual calendar but everybody sees the same calendar?
As Jelsoft (creators of vBulletin). Or: just because software has a function, doesn't mean you need it (personally).

Now vBulletin currently has only ONE calender -- a default one EVERYONE sees.
It is possible to create multiple calenders (for some reason) but creating one for
everyone is to much work (as they need to be created manually), plus those alternative
calenders would probably still be publically viewable.

I DID change the access permissions now so that everyone who's in a "site team"
(Staff/Moderators/IRC OPs) should now be able to post events in the default calender.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 05:53   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

would be interesting to add the SotM contests as repetitive events, among others.