AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-08-19, 00:05   Link #1
Kyon

Bittorrent and Zone alarm?

Our old router& one of our harddrives crapped out, and we had to get a new one. We've changed up some of our network stuff, too.
We used to run Black Ice on the servercomp., and that was it. One of the hard drives on the server went out. (The one with Black Ice installed with our paid code, etc) Now, we're not running black ice on the server anymore. (This is because after the HD went out, Black ice was only recognizing the shareware version of the program, and not our registered paid version, etcetc blahblahblah). Anyway, our new up to date router made our server obsolete for the network internet connection, so instead of having the internet run through the server & the servers firewalls to the other computers, it just runs through the new router to the computers. It works great, and we installed Zone alarm on all the computers due to the trouble with Black Ice.

We use a cable modem, and I normally don't have any problems with bit torrent. I've never bothered tweaking it to get a faster DL or anything like that. On a new episode of a popular show, I usually get around 45 kb/s download, and around 20kb/s upload, which is just fine.

However, since we've set up the new router and stuck Zone Alarm on this computer, I've ended up with 5 kb/s upload, and 1 kb/sec DL.
I've given Bittorrent permission to act as a server through Zone Alarm, and it's connecting and sharing, but for some reason, it's slowed way down on downloads that shouldn't take very long at all.

It's all terribly confusing... especially since I'm not the one in the house that tinkers with the computers. I know a little bit, but I'm no expert. That's why I'm here :P I'm not sure what went wrong when we changed things, but any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention this above, but I AM using an earlier ver. of zone alarm, and I really don't know if the problem is from the new firewall or the new router
Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:22   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
The router I am guessing has a built in firewall. http://www.portforward.com/ And find the guide to forword your router to allow BT to communicate.

And forward exactly the ports BT is using to download. 6881-6889 I believe... Dont quote me on that.

I also Suggest you get BitTornado at www.bittornado.com (uninstall bittorrent before installing this). It has many good features that will make downloading much easier.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:26   Link #3
Kyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAveOfFire
The router I am guessing has a built in firewall. http://www.portforward.com/ And find the guide to forword your router to allow BT to communicate.

And forward exactly the ports BT is using to download.
Yup, the new Router is a D-link with a built-in firewall. Thanks! I'll check this out and let you know if it clears it up.
Old 2004-08-19, 00:27   Link #4
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
oh btw check my edited post above.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:34   Link #5
Kyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAveOfFire
oh btw check my edited post above.
The site you gave me has a list of ports used for bittorrent. Very helpful!
It's also got a walkthrough for my router, so I'll check that out.

I'd heard of bittornado before, but since bt was working fine, and I usually DL when I'm asleep (bt interferes with ragnarok online) I'd never looked into it. I'll check it out, though. Thanks again!
Old 2004-08-19, 00:56   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Check the sticky thread ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 causes connection hangups with BitTorrent clients for information. It is suggested that you downgrade to v 4.5

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 04:40   Link #7
Kyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Check the sticky thread ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 causes connection hangups with BitTorrent clients for information. It is suggested that you downgrade to v 4.5
Thanks. I had checked it out, but I wasn't using 5.0

I was actually using a much older version that I'd found on my computer XD
It was like... 2.6 or somthing like that.

In any case, I installed bittornado and played with my router a little bit. I also upgraded my zone alarm to 5.1, and everything seems fine now. (I think it was the built-in firewall on the router)

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm glad that you all helped me get this settled in just a few hours.