AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-08-18, 20:53   Link #1
Sakuya
*Artist

BT Blocking Internet

I am having some problems with my Bittorrent. The version I have now is 3.4.2 and is the normal Bittorrent client. Whenever I have BT up and running, my internet would get really slow. I am using cable and I have a router (Netgear) linking my 2 computers. My other computer has fast speeds all the time while this computer has occasional slow speeds. The slow speed is only for the internet!

At first, I thought it was my router problem. But during the time when the speed gets slow, I quit my BT and everything gets fast again. Before, I was using Bittorrent version 3.1 and had no problems. After that, many BT trackers switched to a new compact protocol (?) that does not support old Bittorrent versions. So I was forced to download a new BT client. People said Azureus was good so I downloaded it. It had amazing speed but it blocked off the internet completely for some reason. So, I switched to Bittorrent 3.4.2 and had a good time until just recently, the internet got really slow whenever I had BT up. Is there any way to fix things (to download using BT while regaining fast speed for internet)?

Any help will be appreciated! I also thought of using the old Bittorrent 3.1 again but I no longer have the installer file. I deleted it a long time ago.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 21:10   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

You are probably throwing all your upstream into BT. This makes it hard for you to ask for pages from websites. Find the maximum upload option in whatever client you are using now and set it for 5k/sec less than your max upstream.

I don't know what your max upstream is; most BT clients show an upload speed stat, you can get it from there when BT is going if you don't already know.

At the very least you will get faster downloads from BT after doing this, because you will not be choking off your own outgoing requests for segments.
Old 2004-08-18, 22:50   Link #3
Sakuya
*Artist

I never knew BT allowed any tankering with the maximum upload or download speeds. Where can I find the configuration menu? When I'm downloading something, there's no option anywhere for configuration.

I also don't know what my maximum upstream is. I just download without caring about these things.
Old 2004-08-18, 23:43   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

You're going to have to use yet another BT client, or revert to Azureus or something. TorrentStorm is not bad. Unless they changed it, the old original client doesn't allow you to change settings. The latest version of pretty much anything will be accepted by even the pickier trackers.

And when you are running one of those you will be able to figure out your upstream speed, like I said.
Old 2004-08-18, 23:52   Link #5
Sakuya
*Artist

Well, I have also been running eMule. Does that help? Before, I have not had any problems running BT and surfing the web at the same time. I don't like using Azureus because it's interface is so huge plus, it blocks off the port entirely so I can't access the internet at all.

If there's no other way, would Bittornado work?
Old 2004-08-18, 23:59   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

BitTornado does the job brilliantly.

eMule also uses a portion of your upload bandwidth so you'll have to account for the amount that it is using also.

Check how much upload you have here: http://www.dslreports.com/stest

From that total subtract your eMule upload. (You might want to reduce this if it is a lot.) Then figure out 90% of the remainder and tell BitTorrent to use that as the limit.

That should leave you able to surf the internet without trouble.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:16   Link #7
Sakuya
*Artist

Ok, I closed down everything and did the test. It says my download is 1044 kbps and my upload is 271 kbps. Currently in eMule, I have the following settings:

Download Capacity: 96kB/s
Upload Capacity: 16kB/s
Download Limit: 28kB/s
Upload Limit: 12kB/s

What should I set for eMule and BT?

Edit:
I kept eMule's settings the same. For BitTornado, I put it at dsl/cable fast with its default settings. I am firewalled and I can't do anything about it so the light at the top is yellow and I am not sharing too much. Will those settings clear up for internet?

Last edited by Sakuya; 2004-08-19 at 00:28.
Old 2004-08-19, 00:32   Link #8
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
BitTornado is A great program give it a try first
Btw I would set your upload at Dialup at 8kB so you dont choke you upload again.

P.S You can forward the ports for bittorrent www.portforward.com and look up your router/firewall for the guide to sit it up.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:43   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Ok, I closed down everything and did the test. It says my download is 1044 kbps and my upload is 271 kbps. Currently in eMule, I have the following settings:

Download Capacity: 96kB/s
Upload Capacity: 16kB/s
Download Limit: 28kB/s
Upload Limit: 12kB/s

What should I set for eMule and BT?

Edit:
I kept eMule's settings the same. For BitTornado, I put it at dsl/cable fast with its default settings. I am firewalled and I can't do anything about it so the light at the top is yellow and I am not sharing too much. Will those settings clear up for internet?
271 kbps = 33kB/s.

If you run eMule at 12kB/s you need to limit BitTornado to 18kB/s maximum. So go with slow dsl default instead.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-19, 00:46   Link #10
Sakuya
*Artist

Thanks. It's fine now. Won't BT download slower if the upload is set at such a small rate? And also, I have 2 simultaneous downloads at once, on the download with lots of people I have a bad share rating. For the one with less people, I have a good share rating. Why is that? Is that a bad thing?
Old 2004-08-19, 00:49   Link #11
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Well uploading slower doesnt effect my downloads at all. At uploading at 8kB i get a return of 100kB at times. Just remember to seed to a 1:1 ratio.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 00:52   Link #12
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Thanks. It's fine now. Won't BT download slower if the upload is set at such a small rate? And also, I have 2 simultaneous downloads at once, on the download with lots of people I have a bad share rating. For the one with less people, I have a good share rating. Why is that? Is that a bad thing?
As for your being firewalled BitTornado has UPnP so it often fixes such problem, but if it doesn't you're going to have to open up ports 6881-6889 to improve your download.

As for you questions about how the sharing with BitTorrent works, it doesn't work on a simple ratio. For details I'd suggest that you read the BitTorrent Economics Paper. It explains the whole thing in a rather comprehensible manner.

Old 2004-08-19, 01:07   Link #13
Sakuya
*Artist

After setting it at DSL/slow, my download speed decreased by around 16 to 5. I'm also getting some of the slow connection again. Should I lower the upload limit in eMule to 8 instead of 12?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-08-19 at 01:29.
Old 2004-08-19, 01:29   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
After setting it at DSL/slow, my download speed decreased by around 16 to 5. I'm also getting some of the slow connection again. Should I lower the upload limit in eMule to 8 instead of 12?
Honestly I think you should lower it to 6. That will still allow you a 24kB/s download which is all you really need with that program. Your upload bandwidth is small enough that you can't afford to clog it with too much eMule.

Old 2004-08-19, 01:37   Link #15
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Well, I have also been running eMule. Does that help? Before, I have not had any problems running BT and surfing the web at the same time. I don't like using Azureus because it's interface is so huge plus, it blocks off the port entirely so I can't access the internet at all.

If there's no other way, would Bittornado work?
Keep in mind that too many connections while downloading (from BitTorrent and/or eMule) can give you the "DNS not found" error message. You'd fare best to update your network card drivers and see if that problem remains. If it does, close eMule. Still blocks the internet? Reduce the number of connections.

Also keep in mind, that downloading with high speed will consequently make the internet slower since you are using up all the bandwith that would have been used to download the web content.

That being said, I'd say revert to Azureus or - if you feel like sinning and falling from grace - use BitTornado.

PS: Can anyone explain me why I get a new set of smileys for nearly every reply I post?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 01:44   Link #16
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
PS: Can anyone explain me why I get a new set of smileys for nearly every reply I post?
This belongs in Forum&Site Feedback. Shame on you for going off-topic.

Each time, it chooses a random selection of 16 similies out of the total of 34 smilies.