Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-26, 22:50   Link #881
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
The Shamrock's gun isn't very long, so the 75mm rounds leaving it's gun are probably going pretty slow. I feel that the Shamrock (and GT-1s as a whole) are ment to get behind enemy tanks and shoot the radiators, a weakness Soviet tanks lack by default. Even more of an upper hand... let's see:
  • Soviet units can be spammed. Neither the Gallians or Imperials can do that.
  • Soviet Tanks have no 'radiator', and are much tougher than Gallian and Imperial ones.
  • Soviet upgrades can actually offset the advantages posed by the Elite upgrades for the Gallians and Imperials (though, applied to tanks rather than infantry).
  • Soviet stuff is either slow and expensive, or cheap and weak, and easy to replace.
  • The Soviets can kill Valkyrian Units (Valkyria Selvaria, AVTs, Valkyria Alicia) with Tesla weapons - a staplemark of the Support units in the Red Army Arsenal.

Hard Part being how to get the Soviets balanced without making them un-Red Alert-ish.
looks like you've got quite a task ahead
Quote:
Let me guess: one of the Proto-Alicias will find a use in your own mod. I figure less red headscarfs will be running around.

Might I ask, which one?

EDIT: I'm considering using a slight trick in this (if only to amuse myself with the idea of multiple Alicias), in having the Proto-Alicia vary depending on the Player's faction (for instance, the Gallian Proto would be the 'real' Alicia with a recolor headscarf, the Soviet would be one of the ones at the upper right corner of Alicia's 3rd page [with a different haircolor - perhaps a redhead?], and perhaps the Imperial one could be the Garrison Cap Alicia seen on the last page [again, with a different haircolor - I often wonder what Alicia would look like as a bonde]).
that sounds familiar, pretty sure it'll work well. as for us, i like several of the designs, and i think we can work them all in, maybe even have no doubles at all

Quote:
Grenadiers are also overpowered - they're all-purpose, anyway. I don't need to give them a gun, they have those Anti-Armor/Anti-Building/Anti-Infantry impact grenades (which would offset 'dodging/suppression' considerably - though, perhaps they will be useless vs. Lancers, because of the blast suits.)
Huh, i don't ever remember there being grenadiers, probably didn't play that one

Quote:
Triple 88mm? I prefer twin 125mm, or twin 140mm. The Generals: Contra mod gives us eight barrels 140mm Gatling, two 140mm + flamethrower, etc.
you can hold more 88's than 122's, and you can load them faster too xD, oh and balance is easier to work out. 88's might be too big infact...more practical to use 75s or smthn...

Quote:
There's still counterparts, though. The Federation is a corrupt NATO, and the Empire is Nazi Germany, Imperial Russia and the Soviet Union. Gallia is a Germanic little country caught in the middle.
sounds about right
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 19:17   Link #882
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
looks like you've got quite a task ahead
And how! I don't want to deprive the Soviets of their faction identity - they're easily more of a Powerhouse faction than the Empire, relying on strength and numbers to win. Contrast the more hit-and-run tactics of the Gallians, and the Empire's similarities - up until you realize, of course, the Soviets can call upon MiG-29s and Su-25s - I even suppose that a high-tier all-purpose fighter could be the Su-37 - along with Helicopter Gunships such as the Hind, Twinblade, and Seige Chopper.

Quote:
that sounds familiar, pretty sure it'll work well. as for us, i like several of the designs, and i think we can work them all in, maybe even have no doubles at all
I also consider expanding it to base-level units: if the Soviets manage to steal a Gallian base and train Gallian units, they will use a Soviet color scheme (the Dark Brown/Dark Gray used in RA2. I suppose tanks could become the lighter Olive Green of RA3 with the Advanced Armor upgrade).

Quote:
Huh, i don't ever remember there being grenadiers, probably didn't play that one
Grenadiers have been part of C&C since C&C1, where they began life as a GDI infantry unit. Come to think of it, the RA1 Soviets recycled alot of stuff from C&C1 GDI.

Quote:
you can hold more 88's than 122's, and you can load them faster too xD, oh and balance is easier to work out. 88's might be too big infact...more practical to use 75s or smthn...
No, no. Just make make the tank bigger.

Quote:
sounds about right
There are probably some Imperial German references in the Empire, too. Some of their stuff - namely, the combat uniforms, look fairly Prussian.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 03:41   Link #883
cloner4000

To turn the subject away from Soviet and Red Alert for a bit.

On the Twitter for Valkyria Chronicle, http://twitter.com/ValkyriaTribune , there is news of a second batch of DLC. Anyone know what they are actually for?
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 03:48   Link #884
DC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloner4000 View Post

On the Twitter for Valkyria Chronicle, http://twitter.com/ValkyriaTribune , there is news of a second batch of DLC. Anyone know what they are actually for?
Japan got another set of Edy Detachment missions a couple months back. Pretty much it gives a specialty mission involving each member of the detachment. I'm assuming that's the one they're talking about, as Japan got it a long time ago but there hasn't been any word yet as to when/if it's being released elsewhere.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 09:49   Link #885
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

finally! been waiting for this for a while now

oh and as for the ratte, i think the general consensus is it's too ugly as it is xD, but it might be necessary considering what they are up against...
Old 2010-01-29, 14:25   Link #886
Seqi

Quote:

Wow, sure is nice to know they're still supporting the game over a year and a bit later.
Seqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 03:08   Link #887
kyosak
poo

Would you guys recommend buying this game even if I already watched the anime series?

Keep in mind I thought the whole story was pretty mediocre from what I got out of the anime.
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 04:00   Link #888
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Would you guys recommend buying this game even if I already watched the anime series?

Keep in mind I thought the whole story was pretty mediocre from what I got out of the anime.
Because the anime is absolute shit. I almost cried it was so terrible compared to it's origin.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 08:03   Link #889
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Because the anime is absolute shit. I almost cried it was so terrible compared to it's origin.
Agreed. The anime was awful compared to the game.

The game won several "Best Of" awards in 2008. It was a very, very good game. Great graphics, great game play, good story, likeable characters, lots of replay value. I highly recommend the game.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 23:54   Link #890
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, further proof of Gallia's oddly Germanic styles. My mom said that the characters would look odd speaking German.

I have some name lists which beg to differ. While these are incomplete lists, I first theorized that Gallia speaks German when I first saw the spelling of Bruhl, (Coupled with Brühl being a German last name - who says "Inglourious Basterds" doesn´t teach you anything?), leading me to conclude why the Imperial´s don´t, at least, speak with German accents, is because everyone´s already speaking German.

How crazy do I sound?
Old 2010-02-06, 00:02   Link #891
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

nationalities have been evenly distributed in the game
Old 2010-02-06, 00:22   Link #892
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

That says nothing about spoken language - from what I've gathered, Gallia is a mix of Finland, Switzerland, and Belgium/The Netherlands. Randgriz sounds fairly Frankish in name, but the various other areas (Bruhl, Vasel) sound highly Germanic - not to mention, the Lion's Paw is an alternate term for the European Edelweiß. (Speaking of that, edel means noble, not 'ever'.) Alicia's (and presumably all of Gallia's) name for them comes from its species name, Leontopodium alpinum, that first word coming from the Greek words leon (lion) and podion (foot).

Yeah. I'm overthinking things.
Old 2010-02-06, 06:51   Link #893
Neovoid

Not only that, Gallia's standard Rifle Cartridge is 7.92mm. WWII Germany uses the 7.92 x 57mm IS which is almost the exact caliber. The Empire on the other hand uses the 7.62mm which is similar to the Soviet Union's 7.62 x 54mmR. I wonder what does the Atlantic Federation uses?
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 13:32   Link #894
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I'd assume .30-06, or .303 - they might also use 5.56mm, though that would be farther down the line.

With that thought, since I've established that the spoken language of Gallia and the Empie is a Germanic language, and the only speaking Fed is the ambassador, what do the Feds speak?
Old 2010-02-06, 15:37   Link #895
DC20

Well, the only other established language in the game is French (through Ramona - Possibly a Federation immigrant or Federation ancestry? Either way, if you're right it's pretty clear she/her family is not originally from Gallia). That would be my guess... though it's always possible that the Federation is like the EU, and has multiple spoken languages throughout its member states, with an amalgamation or mixture of French, English, Spanish, etc.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 17:24   Link #896
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, Ramona knowing French might not actually be due to Federation linage - given her focus on trying to attract men (don't tell me she's not - I'm not saying she doing it for 'that' reason, though), it could be a second language she took to fit with the attractive girl appearance. French is considered a 'romantic' language - German is really fun to get angry in, to most people (though, having heard German spoken by Germans, this is a somewhat false image.) It does, however, prove that French - though probably not by that name - does exist. I can also assume Italian and Russian could be spoken, along with various Slavic languages.

I also assume that 'Berman', to borrow from Zero Punctuation, is only to official language of the Empire - we could move further east and have Russian accents, which I quite greatly adore (this is Red Alert's fault). While any country can use any rifle caliber - for instance, Austria also made use of 7.92 rounds, IIRC - I'm turning to place names and the most common style of surnames to judge spoken tounge. While there are 'sore thumb' names, others are either directly German, or Germanesque (the original root of this theory is that I saw 'Bruhl' spelt, and thought of the German town of Köln, and decided that the name 'Bruhl' sounded like the name of a little town on the Elbe river.)

EDIT: Directed at Soggy...

I spy, with my little eye, an Allied Ranger?

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2010-02-06 at 17:40. Reason: It's a conspiracy :O
Old 2010-02-06, 17:42   Link #897
cloner4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post

It could either be good or bad depending on your opinion that they Anime actually differs quite a bit from the game plot with the exception of major events like what happened to Isara, but otherwise, they take on the story is very different and you'll be surprise to see the differences.

The gameplay is unique and highly addictive, and the art is different from those of the anime.

The game won a lot of awards if you check wiki and a lot of it is from those cliche-based website which I think sometimes is more objective.

There is a demo so you can check it out first and be sure to know that the game also soo much more than the demo.

The price for the game is practically a steal compare to those new but expansive games.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:49   Link #898
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I agree with Cloner (though, having not finished watching the Anime...), it's currently the best Christmas Present I ever got (the only way to beat it right now would be for SEGA and EA to make a VC/RA game in the style of Battlefield - Damn, I'm insane, aren't I?)

It's just a great game, plain and simple.
Old 2010-02-06, 19:01   Link #899
cloner4000

Well, perhaps if you write a proposal plan in detail and what not and send it to SEGA or EA...who know? They might pick it up? Seems like you are really into it anyway, you probably already have over half of the game thought out in your head already.
Old 2010-02-06, 19:08   Link #900
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Well, perhaps if you write a proposal plan in detail and what not and send it to SEGA or EA...who know? They might pick it up? Seems like you are really into it anyway, you probably already have over half of the game thought out in your head already.
Oh, yes I do. In about three different genres - C&C-style RTS, VC-style TBSRPG, and BF-style FPS - down to units, weapons and DLC. ('It Came From Red Alert', anyone? XD)

EDIT: Though, even if I do write it, how could I know that they'd even read the idea of some teenage schmuck in the state of Oregon?

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2010-02-06 at 19:10. Reason: Cyncicism