AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-18, 06:00   Link #341
Avid_Listener

Well I don't really know if the following would be considered unknown or w/e, but I believe them to be.

Nagasarete Airantou
and Pani Poni Dash are two of my all time favorites. There are my immediate go to's once I've seen a depressing or action heavy anime and want to relax. They both make me laugh a lot, espicially Pani Poni Dash for its random/craziness.

Eve no Jikan is another favorite of mine. There's just something about the series itself and Sammy that made me fall in love. I think anyone who hasn't seen this, should.

And lastly Mouryou no Hako. Though it's a dialogue heavy series, it immediately sucked me in from the first ep. Something about the body parts in boxes intrigued me. For those who don't know, the final ep. got subbed a couple weeks ago, I'd been waiting a year for that ep. to be subbed and was so thankful when it was.
Avid_Listener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 20:40   Link #342
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

ahh, I knew there was one I had forgotten.

Capricorn

Pretty standard, generic, half-dragon / half-girl fare. One-shot 45min OVA from 1991. I've never met a single person who ever watched this, although it was one of the first anime shows I ever saw. I think it was when I was about... 12? Found it on VHS with subtitles in a rental store.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 00:03   Link #343
Banjou Haran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
For those of you coming to shows like Moribito for the first time, I'd recommend trying Twelve Kingdoms and maybe Saiunkoku Monogatari.
I liked Juni Kokuki as well.

Anyways, I'll add some rather older anime and perhaps obscure titles that I like.

Video Girl Ai (maybe not obscure for romance anime fans)
Spirit of Wonder
Ariel
Key the Metal Idol
Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3 (not obscure for super robot fans)
Banjou Haran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 11:00   Link #344
Dop
We can't stop here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid_Listener View Post
And lastly Mouryou no Hako. Though it's a dialogue heavy series, it immediately sucked me in from the first ep. Something about the body parts in boxes intrigued me. For those who don't know, the final ep. got subbed a couple weeks ago, I'd been waiting a year for that ep. to be subbed and was so thankful when it was.
Oh yes, that one had me at the head in the box, and I watched the whole series in one day around a week ago. It was well worth the wait.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 12:24   Link #345
james0246

Hmm, good onscure anime titles...

I'll second Key: The Metal Idol, Sentimental Journey, Mouryou no Hako, and Saiunkoku Monogatari (then again, maybe since I am seconding them, they are not obscure enough )

Let me just skim through myanimelist and see if I can find some titles (that I actually like)...

Nazca (more average than good, but this anime has been seen by few in America (actually, it could be said to be one of the more popular anime in America considering that Malcolm in the Middle used a clip from this anime in their OP)
Hakkenden (this is probably more popular than I think)
Glassy Ocean
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (one of my favourite Shounen series)
Iria - Zeiram the Animation (please tell me someone remembers this classic OVA)
The Mysterious Cities of Gold (I haven't seen much of this series, but so far it is a lot of fun)
Gakuen Senki Muryou (a fun mecha series that no one really got in to)
Haunted Junction (fun and silly comedy-horror series)
Uninhabited Planet Survive
Zettai Shounen
Porfy no Nagai Tabi

Only Yesterday (probably my favourite Studio Ghibli title)
Mahou Tsukai Tai
Night On The Galactic Railroad

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-19 at 12:35.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 16:27   Link #346
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Iria - Zeiram the Animation (please tell me someone remembers this classic OVA)
YES!

I watched that not too long ago during a 90's anime binge. It was pretty cool. One of my favorites out the batch of series I watched at the time.

Which reminds of this interesting little fellow I found on HLJ... http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01084
Old 2010-01-19, 17:53   Link #347
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Eat-man: Not really related to the original manga at all. Totally different attitude to the series, and the main character isn't even really himself.

Eat-Man'98: The more faithful anime adaption of the manga. A few episodes were original, but even they kept the attitude of the original material very well.
They used to air that around here when I was a kid. First time I've ever heard Japanese, too (yeah, they used to air subbed anime around these parts, most of it was crap shows though. The better ones were always dubbed).

I'd probably think it sucks if I watch it now, though, at least from what I can remember.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 18:36   Link #348
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I constantly browse the database at anidb.net up and down and up again. Anybody else who does that? So if an anime is 1. no hentai and 2. exists on the net in subbed form I've almost certainly read about it and if somebody mentions the name then most of the time I know at least vaguely what's it about. Unfortunately, the information in my brain is so unorganized that I can seldom come up with suggestions when somebody asks for them.
Old 2010-02-08, 08:38   Link #349
pk116

I would consider Doraemon and Dr. Slump to be fairly unknown since they haven't gotten English translations. I would love to watch more as I hear they're legendary in Japan (wink wink hint hint). I've watched the first few episodes and thought they were great.
pk116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:39   Link #350
janipani

Princess Sarah

I just watched Princess Sarah or "Little princess" 小公女セーラ 46 episodes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Sarah

I don't know if it is unknown, but certainly not well known, since I found only two episodes of 46 fan subbed. Means I had to watch most of the eps totally relying on my "learn by watching"- Japanese and context.

The series was totally beautiful. I love the way in 80's things were made really in terms of romanticism like Maison Ikkoku and Orange Road.

Princess Sarah is originally well known novel familiar to many. Sarah is lovely, kind and well behaved girl. She is born in wealthy family in India. Her mother passed away when she was little and now her father brings Sarah over to London. Sarah is going to live in private girls' school, and father goes back to India. Other girls in school are fascinated about their new schoolmate. Especially her exotic furniture, language skills and lovely kind personality gather attention. But not everyone are happy about the new princess in house...

At first everything seems to go well until sudden news about Sarah's Father death and bankruptcy reaches the school... then things begin to turn terribly wrong for Sarah...

I think Story is really beautiful and I like this anime version the best, and this anime goes to my top ten for sure, even I had to watch it without subtitles. I hope it gets subbed soon, or I make some poor Italian to English sub myself.

Anyone else seen this anime? I think everyone should see it at least once, pure gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhpkAbW5utY

Last edited by janipani; 2010-02-10 at 10:25.
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:54   Link #351
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Idk about you but that face looks so masculine.
Old 2010-02-08, 16:07   Link #352
janipani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
Idk about you but that face looks so masculine.

Well 80's art style is the reason, but when you get used to it, she turns really cute.
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 16:06   Link #353
Dazarath

The title change made me laugh.
Dazarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 18:03   Link #354
Bri

Angel's Egg (Tenshi no Tamago) by Mamaru Oshii. I don't think I've seen an anime as totally out there as this one. It's like a 71 minute surealist painting, fascinating and frustrating to watch at the same time. The music just creeps me out.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 18:44   Link #355
CeDeR
forever hung over

Dead leaves:wild animation and fast paced storytelling along with lots of non-sense and distorted humour.A shallow story but great.
Old 2010-02-09, 21:46   Link #356
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
They used to air that around here when I was a kid. First time I've ever heard Japanese, too (yeah, they used to air subbed anime around these parts, most of it was crap shows though. The better ones were always dubbed).

I'd probably think it sucks if I watch it now, though, at least from what I can remember.
Oh god, the memories. Locomotion was the channel right? I remember they used to air some anime subbed and, for some reason, some RAW. I watched Aika in japanese with no subs and still was able to understand what was going on, that's a real man's anime.

And yeah, I don't think Eat-man was very good either.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 22:38   Link #357
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Aria is
gotta do my Aria shout out. if you actually sit down and watch this (especially origination) you'll find the best made anime series ever. a masterpiece in every way, shape and form, its a crime that people write this off as childish and for girls.

also, Cross Game. its good enough that i marathoned it in 3 days. while it would seem that on this forum, there's like 6 people with cross game avatars and sigs, i didn't even hear about it on any other anime related site. also a fantastic slice of life show with baseball thrown in.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 11:57   Link #358
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Oh god, the memories. Locomotion was the channel right? I remember they used to air some anime subbed and, for some reason, some RAW. I watched Aika in japanese with no subs and still was able to understand what was going on, that's a real man's anime.
Yeah, they had their fuckups from time to time and forgot to turn on the subs or something.

Another crap series that was aired with subs was Silent Moebius, whose opening was like :awesome: until you actually saw the anime and the piss poor quality of the animation and storyline. Aika was pretty funny at my age (I was like 12? Seeing boobs on TV, even if they were animated, was the whole reason why I watched that show). I also remember Cybaster (lol) and some random ecchi OVA series with subs.

And they aired NGE with dubs :rage:. At least it was the decent Mexican dubs and not the craptastical Argentinian dubs of nowadays (lol Animax).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 13:55   Link #359
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Another crap series that was aired with subs was Silent Moebius, whose opening was like :awesome
I remember that OP, it was amazing. The show may have been crap, but it was the first subbed anime I saw on TV, so I watched it all.

Quote:
And they aired NGE with dubs :rage:. At least it was the decent Mexican dubs and not the craptastical Argentinian dubs of nowadays (lol Animax).
Yeah, the Evangelion dub was pretty good, the shit Animax puts out is a disgrace. We don't have the channel here anymore, but from what I remember, not only was the acting terrible, they used the same three people for every show.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 18:43   Link #360
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

MyAnimeList - Genesis Survivor Gaiarth

Bit of a ham by today's standards I supposed, but it was good at what it was. 3 episodes, 40 minutes a piece, in a post-apocalyptic desert, set around fighting "The General" from "The Big War," and they still find a way to have a beach / pool segment. Also comes complete with mechanical girls in eggs, giant shoulder pads, a soundtrack made up of guitar rifts, corny synthesizers, and recording quality that says "I was recorded on cheap analog equipment in a tin can."

It's early 90's anime all the way, and what can I say, I'm a total sucker for it.

Tags
underappreciated