AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-07, 18:39   Link #1041
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why would there be rabid raving about the film by people who have no way of seeing it?
You may need to look at the Nanoha forums especially the movie thread. People who HAVE not seen the movie but only still shots are already hailing it as the best movie ever since Citizen Kane.


PS: Then again it seems to be mostly the Fate fanboys doing it. Others are just more cautious about it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 06:33   Link #1042
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
There has not been word yet on the monetary amount from this weekend, but the movie placed 7th in the box office. A bit depressing until I realized that EVERY OTHER top 10 movie had 4x more theatre showings than the Haruhi movie. (over 100 to Haruhi's 24)

source: Walkerplus
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 06:45   Link #1043
tolerantfire
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Russia
Age: 23
it's depressing but not surprising. Haruhi movie is still anime and few non-otaku japanese will watch it.

Huh, Avatar is still the first in Japan, what the hell? =) haven't everyone in the world seen it yet=\
tolerantfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 06:49   Link #1044
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hot, Very Hot Singapore
What's that Power Rangers-like movie that's just above Haruhi -_-
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 07:06   Link #1045
tolerantfire
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Russia
Age: 23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai...r:_GinmakuBang!!
here is it =))
tolerantfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 07:08   Link #1046
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
There has not been word yet on the monetary amount from this weekend, but the movie placed 7th in the box office. A bit depressing until I realized that EVERY OTHER top 10 movie had 4x more theatre showings than the Haruhi movie. (over 100 to Haruhi's 24)

source: Walkerplus
I would say it is not bad for the Haruhi movie to have managed to sneak in the top 10. Especially when it competes with box office monsters like Avatar or critics' loves such as Eastwood's Invictus.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 07:55   Link #1047
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
There has not been word yet on the monetary amount from this weekend, but the movie placed 7th in the box office. A bit depressing until I realized that EVERY OTHER top 10 movie had 4x more theatre showings than the Haruhi movie. (over 100 to Haruhi's 24)

source: Walkerplus
For more comparisons:
MacrossF Movie got 10th when it came out with a couple more theaters. (Someone will need to check how fierce the competition was.)
Nanoha and Fate UBW didn't even place.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 08:21   Link #1048
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolerantfire View Post
it's depressing but not surprising. Haruhi movie is still anime and few non-otaku japanese will watch it.

Huh, Avatar is still the first in Japan, what the hell? =) haven't everyone in the world seen it yet=\
I still haven't. Waiting for a friend to have enough free time to go see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I would say it is not bad for the Haruhi movie to have managed to sneak in the top 10. Especially when it competes with box office monsters like Avatar or critics' loves such as Eastwood's Invictus.
Dunno about Japan, but in America being monetarily compared to a critical favorite is usually a bad thing... ^_^
__________________
quigonkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 08:29   Link #1049
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
The top ten and amounts of theatres:
1. Avatar (shown in 365 theatres) - same as last week
2. Oceans (302 theaters) - same as last week
3. Brothers (303 theaters) - same as last week
4. Invictus (320 theatres) - new this week
5. Golden Slumber (308 theatres) - down 1
6. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger Silver Screen Version (140 theatres) - down 1
7. The Vanishment/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (24 theatres) - new this week
8. Lovely Borne (305 theatres) - down 2
9. 5 Days' Sayonara (184 theatres) - down 1
10. Paranormal Activity (160 theatres) - down 3

Which Macross movie bayoab were you refering to? I'll see if I can find some information.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 08:39   Link #1050
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Which Macross movie bayoab were you refering to? I'll see if I can find some information.
I believe it is this one, but the 2ch numbers don't match up with what ANN has.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 09:05   Link #1051
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The top ten and amounts of theatres:
1. Avatar (shown in 365 theatres) - same as last week
2. Oceans (302 theaters) - same as last week
3. Brothers (303 theaters) - same as last week
4. Invictus (320 theatres) - new this week
5. Golden Slumber (308 theatres) - down 1
6. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger Silver Screen Version (140 theatres) - down 1
7. The Vanishment/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (24 theatres) - new this week
8. Lovely Borne (305 theatres) - down 2
9. 5 Days' Sayonara (184 theatres) - down 1
10. Paranormal Activity (160 theatres) - down 3

Which Macross movie bayoab were you refering to? I'll see if I can find some information.
Wow, that is impressive. The next lowest theater count is still almost 6x the Haruhi count, and most are over 15x.

Wonder how long it will be before we get grosses. Box Office Mojo has some JP grosses, but they look to be about 2 weeks behind.
__________________
quigonkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 09:09   Link #1052
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I believe it is this one, but the 2ch numbers don't match up with what ANN has.
I've just found 2ch's numbers for the big anime movies here. According to them, Macross raised 87,000,000 yen total over 30 theatres. Since the yen was at around 87 yen per US dollar then, I figured about $1,000,000 for that weekend. ANN has $993,113 in that article you linked. That's about $7,000 off and ANN's source does not list the amount of money, so it appears to be close. What did you figure?

Edit: reviewing over that, I'm even more impressed with Fate UBW gaining 36.7 million yen in only 12 theatres for a sum of 3,140,000 yen a theatre in two days. It'll be interesting to see where Haruhi falls into this list.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-08 at 09:20.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 10:37   Link #1053
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sunny Singapore
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The top ten and amounts of theatres:
1. Avatar (shown in 365 theatres) - same as last week
2. Oceans (302 theaters) - same as last week
3. Brothers (303 theaters) - same as last week
4. Invictus (320 theatres) - new this week
5. Golden Slumber (308 theatres) - down 1
6. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger Silver Screen Version (140 theatres) - down 1
7. The Vanishment/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (24 theatres) - new this week
8. Lovely Borne (305 theatres) - down 2
9. 5 Days' Sayonara (184 theatres) - down 1
10. Paranormal Activity (160 theatres) - down 3
This is based on box-office success, not critical success, yes? I'm very impressed with how the movie is doing, given its limited release in theatres. Nanoha not placing in the top 10 is a surprise, because over here in Singapore it has a huge fan base and the movie has a lot of hype (I'm sick of hearing about it already). Then again, Haruhi placing so high might be due to otakus buying multiple tickets just to support the movie, so you never know

And what the heck is PA still doing in the top 10?! It's so last year.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 11:06   Link #1054
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 12:38   Link #1055
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I've just found 2ch's numbers for the big anime movies here. According to them, Macross raised 87,000,000 yen total over 30 theatres. Since the yen was at around 87 yen per US dollar then, I figured about $1,000,000 for that weekend. ANN has $993,113 in that article you linked. That's about $7,000 off and ANN's source does not list the amount of money, so it appears to be close. What did you figure?
The weird thing was ANN had it at 9th the first week and 10th the second while 2ch only mentions 10th. (And I had also forgot to adjust the exchange rate.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:45   Link #1056
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I'm not quite sure what to make of the figures as it's shown in a low number of specialist theathers. It's like comparing an arthouse movie with mainstream blockbusters, the scale difference doesn't really give a measure of succes.

Macross Frontier ~The false diva~ movie is a maybe comparable. From what I read on the Macross World forums it performed far above expectations. Due to it's succes it will run for an extended period and a few extra cinema's picked it up. It's great news if Haruhi is already performing better than the Frontier movie.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:48   Link #1057
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
What's that Power Rangers-like movie that's just above Haruhi -_-
Every time one of the sentai series ends they do a crossover flick with the prior series cast and they team up to fight some made for the movie villain. It's pretty stock stuff really, but the franchise is absurdly popular so the movies always do really well. In fact Toei stuff usually does well in general like with the latest Precure and One Piece movie.

Anyway I'm not surprised the Haruhi movie managed to slip into the top 10 when I consider that there were probably a number of fans who bought more than one ticket (in one case 30) and that there were probably more tickets sold then there were actual seats for the week. In this special case the limited theatre release ought to only be considered a minor handicap that will test the "dedication" of the Haruhi otaku.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-02-08 at 16:00.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 16:54   Link #1058
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
Oh for the love of god, just because one person bought 30 tickets doesn't mean everyone is doing it.

I guess this is what happens when you read pure, compressed shit like Sankakucomplex. Its idiocy starts affecting your mind.

Dedication of Haruhi otaku my ass.
__________________
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:10   Link #1059
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
It's not like it is only the Haruhi fanbase that is guilty of it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:26   Link #1060
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Oh for the love of god, just because one person bought 30 tickets doesn't mean everyone is doing it.

I guess this is what happens when you read pure, compressed shit like Sankakucomplex. Its idiocy starts affecting your mind.

Dedication of Haruhi otaku my ass.
Heh.....here we go with you again...... Remember what I mentioned the other day about actually reading people's posts instead of just making up your own version of events with a strawman style argument? Why not try it?

I don't know what all of this is about me exclusively reading Sankaku Complex, but I was referring to the otaku collector concept of buying at least 3 of everything, or as one Japanese blogger calls it "Otakugai". Usually one is for you, one is to lend and one to keep in mint condition, but different people have different reasons for buying several of the same product and the link I posted has an entirely different set of reasons from a friend of the blogger.

Now let's say for example you've got an admission ticket for a movie that is going to be a huge otaku event. Obviously you are going to want to see it which is one ticket to be exchanged. You may also want to take a friend along which is another ticket exchanged. Finally for such an event you may also want to have your own ticket to keep as a collectors item and/or to remind you of the movie you got to see.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.