AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-25, 14:14   Link #1
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Smile Unpredictable Romance Endings

So I've been struggling to find a good anime to watch for a long time now...

I'm looking for a romance anime (can have comedy/drama/slice-of-life/action/etc.... just not horror >_<, I don't handle horror very well) that has an unpredictable ending. I don't want to watch something where you know right off the first ep, that he has to end up with her, or vice versa.

I guess predictability is up to interpretation, but as long as the couple isn't CLEARLY obvious or there's a good love triangle, I'm interested =)
Romance also DOES NOT have to be a prominant genre of the anime.... I'm open to other things.

Um... a few that I've seen that I liked include:
ef ~ a tale of memories ~ (I actually wanted him to end up with um... the other one lol =P but that adds to the fun I guess)
Peach Girl
NANA (still unconclusive though)
Honey & Clover
Fruits Basket (I guess this applies to manga too)
Blood+ (I actually thought she'd end up with um... ya... but I'm glad she ended up with who she did instead ^^)
Vampire Knight
true tears

Thanks in advance =)

Last edited by Buttercup~; 2010-02-28 at 02:11.
Old 2010-02-25, 14:27   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

There is a manga i wanted to recommend (the anime doesn't do the title justice, and doesn't complete the story) though it will probably spoil it for you, so it's upto you if you want to look at the spoiler or not.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-02-25 at 14:40.
Old 2010-02-25, 14:59   Link #3
Haak
PARTY HARD

I suppose School Days counts but you probably won't like it...

I recommend 5 Centimeters Per Second.
Old 2010-02-25, 15:15   Link #4
Kazu
Flowing

Onani master kurosawa, you might find it disgusting so you might wanna read up on it, it's pretty short, but I was surprised who the main character ended up with in the end. Also don't be fooled by the first few chapters, I first thought it was some comedy manga but it turned out to be something different.
Old 2010-02-25, 17:00   Link #5
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place (Makoto Shinkai's second film and my favourite. Three best friends from high school are reuinted in adulthood under bizzare circumstances where the two guys both strive to save the girl). 5 Centrimetres per Second, his third, is also good.

More anime version of NANA should be coming soon. The manga is nearly finished.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:01   Link #6
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
i will definitely second Onani Master Kurosawa even though it is a manga its still amazing and also 5cm per second.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:11   Link #7
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Thanks for all the recommendations =) Usually people give me typical ones that I've already seen or heard of haha

School days: I've actually seen this... you're right, I didn't like it haha! It was very surprising and unpredictable though =P

5 cm per second: I've been meaning to watch this for awhile now but I like anime more than movies >_> I might give it a try later

Onani Master Kurosawa: I've never heard of this manga but after reading the synopsis.... it sounds quite interesting and odd at the same time. I'll start reading since it's short anyways =)

The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Again, another movie that I've been meaning to watch but never got around to. I'll watch this right after 5 cm/second!

Last edited by Buttercup~; 2010-02-28 at 02:11.
Old 2010-02-26, 05:30   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

i will recommend The girl who leaps through time.

Most people who i knows like it, and the ending is quite unpredictable
Old 2010-02-26, 05:38   Link #9
qwertyuiopz

hatsukoi limited
Old 2010-02-26, 09:27   Link #10
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
i will recommend The girl who leaps through time.

Most people who i knows like it, and the ending is quite unpredictable
Now that is one movie I really want to see. I've heard loads of good things about it. Not many people know about it tho
Old 2010-02-26, 13:46   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Might try H2 by Adachi. Since the is a lot of disagreement over what the "expected" ending was.

I also thought Cross Game did a pretty good job of scrambling the expected ending so that you began to doubt yourself.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-02-27, 17:21   Link #12
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Shuffle? The girl that "won" threw me for a loop, didn't see it coming at all.
Old 2010-02-28, 06:55   Link #13
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I also thought Cross Game did a pretty good job of scrambling the expected ending so that you began to doubt yourself.
I kind of saw them getting together from the start but the ending still was a bit of a shock to me. Good stuff.

You'll be waiting a bit for the anime to catch up to the manga though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
Onani master kurosawa, you might find it disgusting so you might wanna read up on it, it's pretty short, but I was surprised who the main character ended up with in the end. Also don't be fooled by the first few chapters, I first thought it was some comedy manga but it turned out to be something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
i will definitely second Onani Master Kurosawa even though it is a manga its still amazing
Thirded.

Just look at the emotion in my signature and tell me you don't feel something from these characters.

Another odd one that might interest you is Ginban Kaleidoscope the relationship is predictable but the ending left me gutted.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2010-03-01, 00:35   Link #14
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Fourthed Onani Master Kurosawa, if you don't mind manga.

The ones I would've mentioned are already mentioned... How about Kimikiss? There is a love triangle and stuff. Not the greatest of anime, however (the main character is kinda annoying)
Old 2010-03-01, 11:08   Link #15
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Kimikiss: I actually heard this anime was =S so I never bothered to watch it lol! I wouldn't mind giving it a try if the reviews were better =P
Shuffle!: I've gotten this recommended a lot in the past... and although I don't mind harems, I heard this one was really random? Since it's being brought up again, I'll try it!
Cross Game: Ooooo! I've been meaning to watch this since it aired =) It's not finished yet though? And I hate watching anime as it airs (since I usually marathon it all when it's done =X), the exception being FMA. So maybe when it's done ^^
Ginban Kaleidoscope: Saw this one already too. The story itself was meh, but the ending made me cry for sure T_T

Thanks again for all the recommendations everyone! I feel like I've been eating a lot of bandwidth lately haha!
Old 2010-03-01, 11:23   Link #16
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I second Ichigo 100%.

As for my own suggestions...
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka if you want some laughs.
I''s Pure for a real solid story. The anime only skims the manga, so I suggest you read the manga. But the anime was well done.
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien might also be good, I didn't know how it was going to end at all, it was up in the air.
White Album was all over the place, on of my favorites actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup~ View Post
5 cm per second: I've been meaning to watch this for awhile now but I like anime more than movies >_> I might give it a try later
Just watch it. It's a very unpredictable movie and it's actually broken up into parts, so you can think of it as a short anime with long episodes.

Quote:
Onani Master Kurosawa: I've never heard of this manga but after reading the synopsis.... it sounds quite interesting and odd at the same time. I'll start reading since it's short anyways =)
It's a must read. Best coming of age story ever.

Quote:
Kimikiss: I actually heard this anime was =S so I never bothered to watch it lol! I wouldn't mind giving it a try if the reviews were better =P
You have to watch Kimikiss. It's a gem in the rough. A lot of people over look it. Fans of the game bash it. But it truly is a great series. The characters are all developed nicely and it flows smoothly.

Quote:
Shuffle!: I've gotten this recommended a lot in the past... and although I don't mind harems, I heard this one was really random? Since it's being brought up again, I'll try it!
If you find it boring midway (like me), stick with it. They saved the best for last. And the ending is unpredictable because it was just that - unpredictable.
Old 2010-03-03, 09:27   Link #17
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It's a must read. Best coming of age story ever.
Thanks for the recommendations =)

I actually just finished reading Onani Master Kurosawa yesterday and it was definitely what I was hoping for ^^'' well in terms of predictability... the ending was very nicely done. Everything leading up to it though... I feel like the main character was the type of guy you would love to hate... >_> very anti-hero in a way. But I'm glad that there's a lot of character development. It was "realistic" in a sense but also cheesy and cliche enough to make a good story and not have it drag. The romance also topped it off and I'm happy about the girl at the end ^^

Ichigo 100%: The reason I avoid this is cuz I'm not into yuri lol >_> I would but it's not my taste in anime >_<
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka: Seen it
I''s Pure: Seen this too... I remember the confession being super lagged and awkward lol!
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: I actually was hoping he would pick the girl that he did in the end... a lot of people didn't like her and I can see why but I thought it was the reasonable choice ^^
White Album: I heard the first season got a lot of harsh reviews but it gets better? and I really bad male protagonist? Usually I'm ok with just average/clueless guys... but I hate watching guys like Makoto Ito >_< (is that his name? School days guy?)
Old 2010-03-03, 09:47   Link #18
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Ichigo 100%: The reason I avoid this is cuz I'm not into yuri lol >_> I would but it's not my taste in anime >_<
Umm...there is no yuri in Ichigo 100%.

Quote:
I''s Pure: Seen this too... I remember the confession being super lagged and awkward lol!
Best confession scene ever!!

Quote:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: I actually was hoping he would pick the girl that he did in the end... a lot of people didn't like her and I can see why but I thought it was the reasonable choice ^^
Yeah, this series tore my heart out and put it back in upside down. But it was really good and I'll prolly watch it again one day.

Quote:
White Album: I heard the first season got a lot of harsh reviews but it gets better? and I really bad male protagonist? Usually I'm ok with just average/clueless guys... but I hate watching guys like Makoto Ito >_< (is that his name? School days guy?)[/COLOR]
[/quote]The protagonist can be bad mouthed and all but so can all of the other characters. Every single one of them have faults and you can trace each other their actions along the way. The music is great and the characters enjoyable. It's not for the novice viewer.

As for School Days...
Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-03, 10:21   Link #19
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Umm...there is no yuri in Ichigo 100%.
Oops, I was thinking of Strawberry Panic lol =X Ok... I shall add this on my ongoing list =)

Quote:
he protagonist can be bad mouthed and all but so can all of the other characters. Every single one of them have faults and you can trace each other their actions along the way. The music is great and the characters enjoyable. It's not for the novice viewer.

As for School Days...
Spoiler:
Ok, you've convinced me to try it =P I don't mind watching characters that have faults as long as their actions aren't unreasonable... I just can't handle insane ones -___-'
Ya... School Days scared me to death >_< I can see why people like it? But I really don't... and I never really could relate to ANY of the characters, except maybe Sekai (for the first half?) and Makoto was such a shfojasfjwiahero *faceroll =S
Old 2010-03-06, 22:05   Link #20
YuKanda

I recommend Kurokami
Closed Thread