AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2009-10-15, 12:02   Link #101
ProDigit

Comcast blocking a.scarywater.net?

I read up on some connection problems posted all the way down to 2004, but believe none of the previous topics is my case!

I'm connected through a wireless router to a comcast high bandwidth connection, but can not open a.scarywater.net.
I tried opening the main page in explorer, which gives me nothing, and tried downloading a torrent with scarywater.net as tracker and something peculiar happens:

I can connect to peers (in my case there are about 4 peers). Then after a few seconds in Transmission (Linux Bittorrent client) I get something like "Operation not supported".
I thought some network error had happened, so I started again, again the same scenario; after a couple of seconds and perhaps a couple of kB's of data, I get operation not supported.
No further info on the logs.
My bittorrent client shows my file in red.
And with the "update tracker" config it says: "Automatic update Tracker: Never" (Usually it tells me how many seconds before updating).

I tried 2 computers, regardless of OS and browser; vista or Linux, Wired or wireless, I get the same results!

Something's wrong here!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 13:24   Link #102
D404
Banned

Try looking at the post DIRECTLY UNDER YOURS.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 14:28   Link #103
ProDigit

Funny thing is that bittorrent clients find other clients, but then get refused to continue to download from them.

See my prev. post here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=2707510

I thought decentralized torrenting was possible?
Old 2009-10-15, 14:33   Link #104
ProDigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by D404 View Post
Try looking at the post DIRECTLY UNDER YOURS.
Yeah, that's a thread starting from 2003!
Besides I had a connection to other peers, which led me to believe that scarywater wasn't down...
Old 2009-10-15, 16:40   Link #105
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Yeah, that's a thread starting from 2003!
Besides I had a connection to other peers, which led me to believe that scarywater wasn't down...
It is down. The connections that are already active will continue. I am in semi-contact with the scarywater folks on their IRC channel. MSX, the only person who can fix the problem has been notified.

I may have misunderstood your statement, ProDigit.

Last edited by Heibi; 2009-10-15 at 16:42. Reason: clarification
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 06:37   Link #106
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I got a reply on IRC from them. It is being worked now that they know.
Sorry, but that's not what I said.
  • I did inform mxs on special "channels" for emergencies, but he hasn't responded so far.
  • Only mxs can fix this, since my access is limited to the interface, which is now down also.
  • Last time he was active (IRC) was Sep 17th 2008, which itself isn't necessarily something to worry about.
Draw your own conclusions, since I don't know any more either.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 07:39   Link #107
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
Sorry, but that's not what I said.
  • I did inform mxs on special "channels" for emergencies, but he hasn't responded so far.
  • Only mxs can fix this, since my access is limited to the interface, which is now down also.
  • Last time he was active (IRC) was Sep 17th 2008, which itself isn't necessarily something to worry about.
Draw your own conclusions, since I don't know any more either.
Ah, I misunderstood when you said you informed him.
Old 2009-10-16, 13:25   Link #108
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

It's back online.
Old 2009-10-18, 19:28   Link #109
ProDigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
It's back online.
It's either back offline, or it's never been online in the past 5 days...

Edit: Back online!

Last edited by ProDigit; 2009-10-21 at 14:55.
Old 2010-03-05, 18:10   Link #110
Blanchimont

Unfortunately, it seems Scarywater is closing down, for good this time...

For me, Scarywater was the very definition of a fansub tracker, but alas, nothing lasts forever

Thought I'd mention it here as couldn't find the news item anywhere so sorry if posted in wrong thread. It should be somewhere as the notice on the site is two days old and the relative importance to animesuki...
Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 06:44   Link #111
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanchimont View Post

For me, Scarywater was the very definition of a fansub tracker, but alas, nothing lasts forever

Thought I'd mention it here as couldn't find the news item anywhere so sorry if posted in wrong thread. It should be somewhere as the notice on the site is two days old and the relative importance to animesuki...
Just link to the actual site, it's the first entry in the blog: http://a.scarywater.net/
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 05:14   Link #112
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Notice (March 4, 2010)

Due to my lack of time and money to keep maintaining this site, it will be shut down by March 12, 2010.

It has been a good ride, but all things must come to an end -- and seven years, in internet time, is very close to an eternity.

Thank you all for putting up with me for all these years, and special thanks to jaf, who is the only reason this site is still operational, since he has been running it day-to-day for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanchimont View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARYWATER!!
DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This was the website that introduced BT 1.0 to me in 2003! (man the grey tiny ass box takes me back).

But indeed, all good things come to an end, it's been a a treat having it there I guess.
Just have to grab releases off of there and find new homes for stuff.
Perhaps we should send a note to a moderator so it can be a global sticky, cause a lot of releases are suddently gonna 404 on people come Saturday morning...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 07:17   Link #113
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

There are several people (myself included) that want to save Scarywater and have the means (server) to do it.

However, keeping Scarywater online can only be done with the help of the site's administrator, mxs. I exchanged a few emails with him last Friday, but have had some trouble getting hold of him this week.

Though even if I can't contact mxs before the site goes offline I will be able to set up some kind of mirror as I've already made a full site "rip" of Scarywater. So one way or another I'll try to keep all links on AnimeSuki that are currently pointing to Scarywater alive.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 00:30   Link #114
Fabro Rowan
Alone In Two Many Ways

That would be much appreciated as I'm somewhat in a state of shock + distress myself. As I would have the luck to have this happening not too long after I just recently buy an external hardrive to look up alot of my favorite older series over the past several years with the intention to revisit/rewatch them and then be able to save an actual hard copy I won't need to delete. *sigh*
Fabro Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 12:36   Link #115
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Scarywater doesn't seem to have vanished from the face of the Internet as was expected. The message on the front page saying it would go away on 3/12 remains though. Any ideas?
Old 2010-03-26, 12:47   Link #116
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

This is the last email I received from mxs (admin of Scarywater) on March 12th, now two weeks ago:
Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for the short mail, immensely busy atm.

Will talk to you tomorrow. I put in a wee bit of buffer in that deadline.
Now I'm not sure what that "wee bit of a buffer" exactly is... but the site is still online.

Despite the contents of that mail, it was the last thing I've heard from him since. I sent him another email a few days later, but no reply. Anyway, while I don't want to annoy him with to much emails I guess it's time for another

Btw, by my reckoning it's likely the site itself (a.scarywater.net) is the one that will go down first, assuming mxs has asked his provider (ThePlanet.com) to cancel at the end of the billing cycle (whenever that is) and assuming they'll actually don't forget to do this. The tracker is sponsored by Swift Communications and I'd presume that'll keep running until it either goes down by itself at one time, or if mxs has asked to terminate it as well.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 21:34   Link #117
kazuo
FUCK!

I can't access scarywater through the web, but the tracker still works.

Any ideas?
Old 2010-07-18, 07:32   Link #118
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Didn't you bother reading several of the posts above yours (including the post above yours as it explains why the tracker is still going whilst the site has gone)
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 12:39   Link #119
asunder
the ancient biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Didn't you bother reading several of the posts above yours (including the post above yours as it explains why the tracker is still going whilst the site has gone)
FYI the site was still working earlier this week despite the death notice of March 12th.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 18:01   Link #120
kazuo
FUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
I did. But, as asunder pointed out below, the site was still accessible despite the shutdown notice as recently as four days ago (when I downloaded several torrents via the page).

Way to make yourself look like an idiot.