AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-13, 07:40   Link #81
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Is there an option to see a history of reps that you, yourself have given out? You can't really do much to feed your curiosity at this point but except wonder.
Don't know if there's one, but I have the habit of writing down the ones I give.

Pretty useful to avoid giving reps too often to the same people.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 07:41   Link #82
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Is there an option to see a history of reps that you, yourself have given out? You can't really do much to feed your curiosity at this point but except wonder.
No there isn't. If you wish such a system to be implemented then please petition vB (Jelsoft) directly for it to be added at some later release.
xris is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 12:37   Link #83
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Here's the issue I have with negative reputation:

1) Blank negative reputation
-Obviously, this is not as constructive as I liked. I don't even know why the neg rep was given. Is this considered abuse? Who knows. I have no clue what I did wrong and whether or not I can report it.

2) Short negative reputation
-Often times I receive negative reputation that is like, "No" or a single letter like "d". Now this isn't very much different from the above case and is, to me, not only annoying, but just downright stupid.

---

When a negative reputation explains why it was given, then more times than not I don't mind it. But alas, this isn't the case. Using a "red marks" analogy that was used earlier, I can say that if I received an essay where in random paragraphs I get -5 without explanation, how would I feel? That would be some really bad feedback.

And now I will address some of the comments that I found interesting. First of all, I support turning off negative reputation only because the reputation system is currently a double standard:

1) Positive reputation: What does having a high positive reputation mean? People like to bring up how graphic designers get them easily. So this means green bars don't mean that the user is super intelligent, the user is widely regarded as wise, the user is popular in all forums, or the user made really good points in discussions. What does it mean then? Simply put, it means the user is helpful somewhere in the forum. Is that enough to justify too many green bars? I say yes. There are exceptions, of course, since we all know Vexx and james0246 don't get their reputation from making signatures. You may argue that their reputation is more "worthy," but at the end of the day, people with positive reputation are either helpful or worth reading. And that's why the positive reputation system is fine.

2) Negative reputation: And the inverse of the above standard cannot apply here. If all "non-helpful" posts are negatively rep'd, then everyone's reputation would be negative, since it takes more to impress someone than to disagree on something. Furthermore, what is a non-helpful post? If someone agrees with you (or someone else), that's nice, but they don't bring anything to the conversation, so their post lacks substance, hence it's not helpful? No, people receive negative reputation because someone disagrees with their point, and it could be a very well reasoned point that was argued respectfully. But the real question is, if people disagree with you, then does that mean your posts are not worth reading? Does that mean you're not helpful? No it doesn't.

And the points I made above are why I do not like the negative reputation system. Half of them say nothing constructive (basically blank) while the other half are based off a double standard. I truly believe that the world will turn if you only give people the option to give praise. We all know it's illegal to complain about reputation in a forum thread, but there are some people give negative reputation to anyone who disagrees with them, that people will post warning other users to not post in that thread. It's that bad. And in the current rules, giving 10 neg rep a day to people who disagree with you is not abusive. But I think it is.

---

One interesting point that I need to bring up is how someone with red boxes does not mean that their posts are troll and not worth reading. In contrary, they become infamous. People will pay more attention to their posts to find out why this person has a red box, because to be frank, they are very unusual in this forum, but there are active members with them. So in a sense, negative reputation is used as a badge someone proudly wears, not as something a user is supposed to be embarrassed about. Is this...supposed to happen? Even if the user isn't flouting his "title," people will be more prone to give him negative reputation, and he will never get total positive reputation. It goes something like this:

"He has a good point, but it's probably not that good since he has a red box."
"Lol I disagree with this person, which isn't surprising because he has a red box, so I'll give him another negative reputation."

---

Now for responses to how to fix the system. I must say I disagree with removing the reputation system's anonymity. This solves nothing. All we would get is a flame war and retaliation. I seriously cannot see the use of knowing someone who gave me a negative reputation (blank or just because they disagree). I will be honest in saying that I would "target" that user in the future to retaliate. And of course, that should not be the point of reputation, no matter how you look at it.

---

People have addressed that the reputation system is exponential, and that new users are not likely to catch up. While there are exceptions to this (I knew james0246 when we were both tiny and small), I do agree wholeheartedly. I wish that reputation was more linear, and that someone with huge reputation would not give someone else huge reputation. But alas, I do not think this is possible since it's hardcoded into the reputation system. If it could happen, however, then I will push for it.

---

I don't agree with having a report button next to negative reputations. The moderators currently already have to review reports case by case, and if there were such a convenient report button, then everyone would report every negative reputation they have and the system comes crashing down. This doesn't work.

---

Final Thoughts

I will begin with acknowledging that the reputation system balances out. For those negative rep's that I received, I also get positive ones in threads where I did not expect it, so it's not a technical matter of balance. Someone brought up the point that "positive reputation to be a good incentive for artists and graphic designers," and I think that's true. Positive reputation simply makes people "feel good" and participate in the forums some more, since it may give them a feeling of belonging. Now I don't see people going around saying "I have high rep so listen to me," so I don't think this is abused. Negative reputation on the other hand, when not constructive, may discourage users from posting their opinions or tell them to sugar-coat everything they say. And as someone who loves discussions on AS, I must say that is not where we should be heading.

One of the reasons why I love posting on AnimeSuki and not other anime forum is because of its (positive) reputation system. I like knowing when I actually helped someone out, or if I shared a similar point of discussion with someone. Why? That's because it makes me feel like I did something good for the day, and it makes me happy. I don't have the time to check back on all of the threads I posted in just to see if people thought I helped them out or not. In a sense, appreciation kept me going. While I learned not to be intimidated by negative reputation and learn to express my own opinions, I was a bit wary at first, and I can see how others could be daunted as well. I truly believe that the negative reputation system does indirectly hinder expression. And this is really the main reason why I dislike it.

How often have you guys seen, "Oh that's exactly what I wanted to say but I didn't want to say it"? *raises hand* A lot.

In short:

(I) Can See Who Left User Ratings - No

(II) Can Leave Negative Reputation - No
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 13:49   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I'm assuming here your opinion just now does not reflect the position of the forum staff, yes? Otherwise the following is a little pointless.
KholdStare, answer me this: why are you imposing your "own" rules on the simple system? Where exactly did you get all these rules and expectations from?

I'll just run though the simple process.
I click on the +/- thing. It says:
Quote:
What do you think of KholdStare's post?
And I have the choice of "I disapprove" and "I approve". That's it.

Well, yes there is...
Quote:
Your comments on this post:
But does it say anything about it being mandatory? and also what gives you the indication it has anything to do with the choice. The question is "What do you think of KholdStare's post?", it wasn't "What constructive feedback would you give sir KholdStare?". It also pretty clearly represents just a "comment" there not feedback or criticism so as far as I'm concerned, given how the entire box is called "Add to Reputation: KholdStare", it is no more then a ancillary feature.1

Anyway lets say I choose "I disapprove" (since well I do disagree)

Now what is the button you click called? Its called: "Add to Reputation", here too more indication the entire space is suppose to support merely adding +1 or -1, nothing more (see: meaning of "Add").

I then receive the message: "A comment must be left for negative reputation." so getting angry at the system for having bugs I just follow the same steps again and enter "asdfasdf" in there. I get the message confirming the action: "Thanks for deducting reputation from this user." (ie. subtracting reputation from you) and its done. Note how the message is not: "Thanks for giving feedback/criticism.", sorry for being so insistent on all these things, but as it happens it seems (at least in this thread) you are by far not the only one who seems to just not see all of these messages. Which, I am going to assume is because you all never give reputation (of any kind) and simply concentrate on the receiving side.

A very important note to make here. When faced with that bug where as I can not give negative reputation with out a comment -- oh and right, how exactly are all you honest angels reicieving empty negative reputation? didn't you just complain about it just now, well anyway -- people might not react like me (ie. slam keys on the keyboard) they instead might type in a "d" or type in some random word. Or, what I think will most likely happen given their mood at the time (eg. pissed, angry, displeased) write something like: "you are dumb" or of course something more in context there (yet still uninformative) is even more likely. I think this little bug actually explains at least where half the reason for people whining over negative reputation is coming from.

That's all I have to say. Oh and...

Propose: Disable Comments in Reputation.
__________________
1 as a design feature, my best guess is that its there to allow me to mention which part I disagree with in case its not your entire post; which really has nothing to do with you "accepting" the reputation more
__________________
felix is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 14:05   Link #85
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
<snip>
So far the only person I have seen with a really big negrep is mg1942, but that doesn't make him a total cock talker : believe me, I have see far worse posters and less sensible posts in here, me being one of them in my earlier days.

On the other hand, I personally think that the rest of you Asuki members to rein in your bloody damned emotions when it comes to reading posts. At least attempt some fact-bashing or arguing before lobbing a negrep, don't just give one because you don't like that post or it makes you uncomfortable.

Constructive or not that post may be, the purpose of being here is to do something we can't do IRL, like getting away from the rat-race and the people you don't like, and whether by indulging in a little insanity or deep-thought, all of us are trying to relax in cyberspace. Often at times each of us may "relax" ourselves a little too much and start all sorts of venting and counter-venting scenarios which we find in real life, but keep in mind that we are all human and that is our nature : the freedom of expression in here isn't just limited to you.

Sure as you may not like reading what was written because it might be in contrary to your belief system, but this is a PUBLIC forum where everyone is free to voice themselves.

So how do we not make ourselves give negreps? Here is a guide :

1. Don't take whatever you read or see too seriously.

Quoting Mark Twain :

Quote:
Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
How can you be sure that the post is out there to intentionally offend you? Read through again, and find loopholes to counter if you disagree. Think of it : if you negrep the person who in actuality, behind the keyboard, is trying to make you unhappy, that person already won. If it is unintentional, you are the aggressor. As we cannot HEAR each other in cyberspace, we cannot judge the TONE in which we are addressed in. Words are still words to be READ, not heard.

Ultimately, it is still the content presented in the post. Address the content, not the person.

2. Open your damned mind

I singled that word out because each of us have our own filters and firewalls programmed in to filter out anything we don't like, as a form of emotional and sanity protection IRL. These barriers then layer upon each other, and eventually shutting us out of real or hidden content, usually between the lines. And instead of helping us, it is that which drives us loony and bricks us like a PSP with a bad firmware.

Let's face it, we are all insane. And we just do all sort of things that drive people up the wall sometimes. So please don't say that you are lazy (can't be bothered with countering a post), but in fact you are crazy.

The important thing is to accept oneself, if you don’t forgive yourself, you won’t be able to forgive other people!

3. Accept other posters for who they are.

If you have been lurking around long enough, especially in the General Chat thread, you can get to see many recurring nuances certain posters possess. For example, we have people like Ascaloth who has practically all his posts being written in an annoyingly "sarcaustic", yet funny manner, Vexx and Seiji handing out advice and oracle-like insights between their lines (the former occasionally writing about past experiences which older people normally like to share to the youngsters), Nosauz, Xellos and mg1942 writing without capital letters and in very short, punctuation-less sentences, Kyuusai/JMvS/Kamui stepping in and dropping fact-PGMs, Harufox constantly posting Aussie-related news, Yoko and Shiemi constructing their sentences to be as least offensive, etc. And each of the individual's list, or even the entire list, is non-exhaustive.

These are just trends that makes discussion in this forum interesting because we all have different opinions and perspectives. And we can keep it that way by just accepting who they are and what they post.

This might be the only 100% serious post I have made you guys will ever read in this entire forum, therefore I do not give a care who it offends, or even the mountain of negreps I am going to receive (never really did anyway). When I first joined this forum, I made a few anonymous negreps but I realised that doesn't exactly make me feel good, and I would like to apologise for all of those I have given.

So here is a middle finger to those who don't like what you have read and would like to negrep me : like I care about whether this wall of text disses you off or not.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 14:48   Link #86
Woopzilla
Desensitized
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LV-426
Age: 28
Personally, I agree with KholdStare. Lot's of good points are mentioned.

I think having negative rep enabled isn't really beneficial to the community. It can be used as a tool to occasionally 'warn' people who make trollish posts, but it's mostly is just used as a blunt weapon to tell them that their opinion is 'wrong'. In the current system, there isn't anything stopping someone from neg repping people for using acronyms like 'LOL'. If someone is genuinely being a nuisance in a thread, then they can be ignored... people lose interest to troll if their posts are just skipped over and the discussion continues as if they're invisible. If they're really pushing it, then they're probably breaking a forum rule and should be reported to a moderator rather than vigilante'd with negrep.

Also, KholdStare is correct that it discourages people from joining discussions and fully expressing their opinions... I'm one of them. I usually try to sugarcoat my posts in order for people not to take huge offence. For newer members like myself, we get discouraged to express our opinions after receiving our first neg rep that's accompanied by a big ugly capslock message (which will greet us for months everytime we go into the control panel as it doesn't get downed away too fast... we're new in the community after all). Since, then I've pretty much refrained from posting in discussion heavy threads. You may say that's silly on my behalf, but that's just the way it turned out and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Disabling neg rep would take away the only tool those 'closet haters' have and force them to present their feelings to my post with another post, which would probably be more insightful and less offensive than an anonymous short non-sensical/hurtful phrase.

I believe it should just be disabled as it causes more problems than it solves. Rep in the end is just like post counts... it only means something if you want it to. Having tons of members with high rep isn't a problem. Having members shying away from posting in fear of getting neg repped is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
How often have you guys seen, "Oh that's exactly what I wanted to say but I didn't want to say it"? *raises hand* A lot.
*raises hand*

EDIT: As expected... Since it's anonymous I can't tell who it was but I'm not "pos rep whoring". This is something I feel strongly about, so that's why I posted in here. I mentioned above that I usually stay out of dicussion threads... ironic that the reason I refrain from doing so occurs in this thread of all places.

Anyway, I'll just disappear again now. Thanks for hearing me out.
__________________
Tsubasa Hanekawa of Bakemonogatari

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2010-03-13 at 16:23.
Woopzilla is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 15:53   Link #87
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
<snip>
You should re-read my post. No one is making rules. I simply made my observations based on the position/negative reputations that I have received/given and analyzed how it affected my and others' posting behavior.

To everyone else, for clarification:

I am not saying negative reputations must be constructive. I am stating the effect of non-constructive neg rep's on posters, especially newcomers, as exemplified below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Also, KholdStare is correct that it discourages people from joining discussions and fully expressing their opinions... I'm one of them. I usually try to sugarcoat my posts in order for people not to take huge offence. For newer members like myself, we get discouraged to express our opinions after receiving our first neg rep that's accompanied by a big ugly capslock message (which will greet us for months everytime we go into the control panel as it doesn't get downed away too fast... we're new in the community after all). Since, then I've pretty much refrained from posting in discussion heavy threads. You may say that's silly on my behalf, but that's just the way it turned out and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Thanks for being an example. I really think something is wrong when newcomers refrain from posting in discussion-heavy threads because they are wary of negative reputations. And since this is one of those threads, I thank you for doing so. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Disabling neg rep would take away the only tool those 'closet haters' have and force them to present their feelings to my post with another post, which would probably be more insightful and less offensive than an anonymous short non-sensical/hurtful phrase.
I never thought of that, viewing them as a tool, but I can see how it could be "abused" as such.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 16:50   Link #88
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
^ Look at Woopzilla's joindate. Does that look "new" to you?

And even if we presume he classified as "new" Woopzilla's post simply adds to motivation for disabling the system entirely. Think about it for a while, I'm sure you'll realize this works multiple ways not just with negative reputation. Posters might avoid serious discussions because "they don't get reputation" or they might flood pointless discussions because "they get reputation", they also might post obvious nonsense because "they get reputation" etc. And who are the easiest to turn into rep-junkies why 1-dot people of course.

As for this "constructive reputation" you mention. I have experimented with different methods of giving reputation in the past, almost everything you can think of. At one point, I have like you shared the opinion that "criticism" is more or less "tell them what is wrong" (and actually would give positive reputation with the criticism). Sadly thinking of criticism like that has proven to be quite naive.

Why? Well one of the problems with giving criticism (particularly how the reputation system is designed with that tiny tiny character limit) is that you can't really say anything (particularly concerning posts) that the person is not already well aware of or lets say "prepared for". This is like with trolls, they know they are trolling, you can't tell them why its bad and expect anything.

Currently I just try to "put people in a state of mind where they will exercise self learning" (ie. skipping criticism, which might fail, and just making direct attempt at the goal)... though there's always the defensive type for which you really can't do anything about since they probably don't even read what you say and just focus on what they say, giving you the occasional:
Quote:
You should go read my post again [...]
Can't do anything about those, via forum posts and discussion anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
As expected... Since it's anonymous I can't tell who it was but I'm not "pos rep whoring". This is something I feel strongly about, so that's why I posted in here. I mentioned above that I usually stay out of dicussion threads... ironic that the reason I refrain from doing so occurs in this thread of all places.

Anyway, I'll just disappear again now. Thanks for hearing me out.
Assuming you are not doing a cute act with us, you need to overcome this fear you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
<snip>
Here's my advice to you:
  1. Don't take whatever you read or see too seriously.
  2. Open your damned mind
  3. Accept other posters for who they are.

Detailed version:
Quote:
On the other hand, I personally think that the rest of you Asuki members to rein in your bloody damned emotions when it comes to reading posts. At least attempt some fact-bashing or arguing before lobbing a negrep, don't just give one because you don't like that post or it makes you uncomfortable.
Negative reputation (which I'll assume you are referring to; poor lonely positive reputation) is given as a alternative method of conveying your "opinion" in the thread. Typically you should (unless special circumstances) either add reputation or respond.

To add to this, if someone has already responded to the target post with what you would have posted its pretty pointless to post yourself saying the same thing. That's one situation. Another situation where is when the person in question is coming into the thread with the intetion of just disagreeing with everyone (or just searching for agreement; which is almost the same thing).
Quote:
Ultimately, it is still the content presented in the post. Address the content, not the person.
Last I checked reputation applies per post, not per user profile.
Quote:
Often at times each of us may "relax" ourselves a little too much and start all sorts of venting and counter-venting scenarios which we find in real life, but keep in mind that we are all human and that is our nature : the freedom of expression in here isn't just limited to you.
Yes yes, I agree, "the freedom of expression in here isn't just limited to you" SaintessHeart. And I might add, its not confined in any limits you define either.
Quote:
Sure as you may not like reading what was written because it might be in contrary to your belief system, but this is a PUBLIC forum where everyone is free to voice themselves.
No this is not a "anarchy" forum like say 2chan or something. Trolls may not voice themselves, for example. Any sort of message towards another member in the thread is forbidden (either by the "no public private conversation" or the "forum is not a chat room" rule) etc
Quote:
Read through again, and find loopholes to counter if you disagree.
What makes you think I came here to play some stupid game like that. You should know, since you are one of them, there are people who just come in and post opinions simply to disagree and when you reply to them they just negate everything you say. For example I could state the obvious flaw like "pigs don't fly" but they will just come again and say "Well, can you prove pigs don't fly?", and nonsense like that. Nonsense which by the policies of the forum is very much allowed.
Quote:
Think of it : if you negrep the person who in actuality, behind the keyboard, is trying to make you unhappy, that person already won.
Well he can win if that's what he wants, don't care as long as it doesn't derail the thread; which replying to him would do.
Quote:
If it is unintentional, you are the aggressor. As we cannot HEAR each other in cyberspace, we cannot judge the TONE in which we are addressed in. Words are still words to be READ, not heard.
You can express whatever personalized opinion you wish in the reputation system, as long as you don't go in vulgar territory. It doesn't matter if you are the "aggressor", the rules say: you are allowed either way. And really, when you hand negative rep you think you care if you are considered "the aggressor"? I'm pretty you don't. On the other hand you don't even have to use vulgar language or be the "aggressor" to get banned for doing the same thing in the thread via posts instead of reputation.
Quote:
How can you be sure that the post is out there to intentionally offend you?
People generally de-rep because the post is out there to be stupid, not because it has offended anyone directly.

ps. from (2) onward seems you are just writing for the sake of filling in "description" to the red text.
__________________
felix is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 17:28   Link #89
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 28
That sure is a lot of very long posts that I'm not going to bother reading, but let me tell you something about negative reputation:
A good 75% of my posts here are either a) trolls, b) telling people they're stupid, c) telling people their favorite anime sucks, or d) general hurfing and blurfing. Despite this I have a rather positive reputation. (The remaining 25% are usually technical advice but that usually incorporates some of b and d above.)

If you worry about your epenisreputation points on an internet forum and/or get butthurt about people saying nasty things in anonymous messages you are probably taking the internet way too seriously and should probably consult your local psychiatrist before you go completely insane.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 18:30   Link #90
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
So now's the time for me to tell everyone that don't post in this thread if you disagree with TheFluff because you will get neg rep'd.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 19:50   Link #91
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The two you (DjTrizz & Death Header) are really not helping any point you are trying to make by giving yourself as a example.
  • are you trying to say its impossible to get bad reputation over a question? Overly silly or nonsensical questions can be very annoying, that's why we have a Silly question, [...] thread in General Chat. Telling us its "unfair" and "the other guy was childish" doesn't do anything more then make yourself look childish for "pointing the finger" instead of providing a more concrete case.
  • secondly, reputation is always justified -- you are not being negative repped by a bot, you obviously said something to piss the other person off. Yes you don't have to "manage your wording" to please others (or however you want to put it), but then realise the other person doesn't have to either. The only difference between a message on the forum and the reputation message is that the reputation message can be as personal as the person wishes, since it fits in the private message category as far as the forum policies are concerned.
  • finally, stop with this hypocricy around "but it was just my opinion". Negative reputation is by definition a opinion towards your post -- so if you want to cling to that belief follow your own advice and respect the other person's opinion instead of complaining how everyone is just required to respect yours.
Hm? it wasn't a silly question in the least, but I guess it might of been to the more diehard crowd. The question was regarding Athrun getting Aegis (believe that's what the name was) back in GSD, I asked if Aegis was upgraded like Freedom did, because there was nothing to suggest it was upgraded at all and just simply rebuilt, cause it looked exactly the same.

I'm not implying anything from my original post, I was directed here and I just wanted to drop my .02, because as I said, I don't have a problem with neg reps that at least make sense from a constructive point of view.

The act of pointing someone out as being childish does not make one childish in return, it's all about the perspective of which things are done.

Just because you submit a rep, doesn't mean it's justified, otherwise there wouldn't be exceptions; trolls, crude remarks, abusing the system.

Yes, a negative rep is designed to be used as an opinion to your post, but alas, it's not always used as such.

Last edited by Mr. DJ; 2010-03-13 at 20:07.
Mr. DJ is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 20:42   Link #92
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 27
If negative reps have to be so "constructive", then positive rep should require something more than giving positive rep because "omg i think this guy is awesome" or "omg you made a sig for me here have rep ++++". In fact, mods should require people to write an essays about how this post influenced you to such a degree before allowing positive rep to be given.

Basically, if it's "okay"/"forum socially acceptable" to give positive rep for such bullshit reasons, then there's no reason why it can't be the same for negative. Double standards etc.
__________________
aka koda aka miasmacloud
schneizel.com
Schneizel is offline  
Old 2010-03-13, 21:11   Link #93
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
If negative reps have to be so "constructive", then positive rep should require something more than giving positive rep because "omg i think this guy is awesome" or "omg you made a sig for me here have rep ++++". In fact, mods should require people to write an essays about how this post influenced you to such a degree before allowing positive rep to be given.

Basically, if it's "okay"/"forum socially acceptable" to give positive rep for such bullshit reasons, then there's no reason why it can't be the same for negative. Double standards etc.
Giving rep to someone because they answered a sig request is hardly what I would call a "bullshit reason".

Sig makers are often taken for granted and many people don't seem to realize how hard it is to keep requests on check. There's no magic "make sig" button on photoshop and sig makers often need to go out of their way just to complete the request of a stranger.

Yes, they are not forced to do it to begin with, yet, the fact remains that they still do. IMHO, they and the folks that make the Kairing drawings for the main page, are among the ones that deserve rep the most.

Mind you, I am not gonna try to convince you to think like me; Nevertheless, I still feel the need to point out this one thing.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 00:09   Link #94
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
<snip>
Adding one more thing : feel free to ignore any post you don't like. Negrepping is akin to starting a flame war from the other side. If you feel something is wrong with the person, just use the PM system or simply counter that with the coprocessor on your shoulders. Or you can always ignore the post and post something or somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
That sure is a lot of very long posts that I'm not going to bother reading, but let me tell you something about negative reputation:
A good 75% of my posts here are either a) trolls, b) telling people they're stupid, c) telling people their favorite anime sucks, or d) general hurfing and blurfing. Despite this I have a rather positive reputation. (The remaining 25% are usually technical advice but that usually incorporates some of b and d above.)

If you worry about your epenisreputation points on an internet forum and/or get butthurt about people saying nasty things in anonymous messages you are probably taking the internet way too seriously and should probably consult your local psychiatrist before you go completely insane.
As of that post I have received a couple of anonymous negreps with random useless comments like "here's a free win for you mr person behind the keyboard" and "tl;dr". This is one problem about the system I don't like : people don't leave their names and I can't ask them what I did wrong, or know if they did it out of a whim or what.

The reputation system is pretty good, but I think its anonymity isn't doing much to help errant posters change.

As the world becomes more connected electronically, how could we not take the internet seriously? Of course not too seriously that is.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 00:29   Link #95
Death Header
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix
secondly, reputation is always justified -- you are not being negative repped by a bot, you obviously said something to piss the other person off. Yes you don't have to "manage your wording" to please others (or however you want to put it), but then realise the other person doesn't have to either. The only difference between a message on the forum and the reputation message is that the reputation message can be as personal as the person wishes, since it fits in the private message category as far as the forum policies are concerned.
finally, stop with this hypocricy around "but it was just my opinion". Negative reputation is by definition a opinion towards your post -- so if you want to cling to that belief follow your own advice and respect the other person's opinion instead of complaining how everyone is just required to respect yours.
If Negative reputation is an alternative for a disagreement towards a post, then people would abuse it to no end. Since negative reputation is mostly used as a sort of "warning" or a reprimand (compared to positive ones anyways), I think it's a good idea to implement who or why the neg-rep was given towards that specific person (if it's possible)

Quote:
People generally de-rep because the post is out there to be stupid, not because it has offended anyone directly.
If most of the posts here are stupid, neg-rep would be flying all over the place. Generally from I've seen, people usually de-rep because the person in question has either broken the rules, acting like a troll, or general spam.

Quote:
Negative reputation (which I'll assume you are referring to; poor lonely positive reputation) is given as a alternative method of conveying your "opinion" in the thread. Typically you should (unless special circumstances) either add reputation or respond.
Neg reputation is leaning way more towards an alternate method of flaming someone instead of conveying your so-called "opinion" on something, especially since neg-reps tend to last forever while differing opinions can be settled.
__________________
Death Header is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 00:54   Link #96
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Giving rep to someone because they answered a sig request is hardly what I would call a "bullshit reason".

Sig makers are often taken for granted and many people don't seem to realize how hard it is to keep requests on check. There's no magic "make sig" button on photoshop and sig makers often need to go out of their way just to complete the request of a stranger.

Yes, they are not forced to do it to begin with, yet, the fact remains that they still do. IMHO, they and the folks that make the Kairing drawings for the main page, are among the ones that deserve rep the most.

Mind you, I am not gonna try to convince you to think like me; Nevertheless, I still feel the need to point out this one thing.
Fansubbers are often taken for granted and many people don't seem to realize how time consuming it is to keep subbing stuff every week. There's no magic "make sub" button in Aegisub and fansubbers often need to go out of their way just to translate and sub things for complete strangers so that they can discuss anime on a forum.

Yes, they are not forced to do it to begin with, yet, the fact remains that they still do. IMHO, they and the folks that scanlate, are among the ones that deserve rep the most.

Mind you, I am not gonna try to convince you to think like me; Nevertheless, I still feel the need to point out this one thing.


I could spin this multiple ways.

I hold to my opinion that getting rep for making sigs is bullshit. And I would say the same thing if people repped fansubbers who posted here just because they're fansubbers who sub the anime they watch.
__________________
aka koda aka miasmacloud
schneizel.com
Schneizel is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 00:59   Link #97
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
Fansubbers are often taken for granted and many people don't seem to realize how time consuming it is to keep subbing stuff every week. There's no magic "make sub" button in Aegisub and fansubbers often need to go out of their way just to translate and sub things for complete strangers so that they can discuss anime on a forum.

Yes, they are not forced to do it to begin with, yet, the fact remains that they still do. IMHO, they and the folks that scanlate, are among the ones that deserve rep the most.

Mind you, I am not gonna try to convince you to think like me; Nevertheless, I still feel the need to point out this one thing.


I could spin this multiple ways.

I hold to my opinion that getting rep for making sigs is bullshit. And I would say the same thing if people repped fansubbers who posted here just because they're fansubbers who sub the anime they watch.
Think of it as a way of returning a favour other than a mere thanks. Unless Asuki implements paypal within a "pay-for-ur-sig" system.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 01:32   Link #98
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The reputation system is pretty good, but I think its anonymity isn't doing much to help errant posters change.
I change my opinion on this matter. If anonymity is removed, then people would retaliate with neg reps. While this may not discourage further use of neg reps, it would lower the rep of the person throwing around neg reps, which means their rep power will eventually be significantly reduced. And pretty soon, their neg reps won't count anymore. This is a good alternative to disabling neg rep altogether, since it does the exact same thing.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 01:36   Link #99
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I change my opinion on this matter. If anonymity is removed, then people would retaliate with neg reps. While this may not discourage further use of neg reps, it would lower the rep of the person throwing around neg reps, which means their rep power will eventually be significantly reduced. And pretty soon, their neg reps won't count anymore. This is a good alternative to disabling neg rep altogether, since it does the exact same thing.
I'm unfamiliar w/this guy. Is he a troll or is he just this close minded?
__________________
aka koda aka miasmacloud
schneizel.com
Schneizel is offline  
Old 2010-03-14, 01:37   Link #100
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
No, it's simply called finding side effects to a proposition.

EDIT: Off-topic, ad hominem, will not further respond.
KholdStare is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
reputation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.