AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-28, 21:42   Link #5021
Azel
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
I have a little question I hope someone can answer...

I recently re-watched the 3 anime series of FMP and re-read a few of the later novels, and from what I can tell, Sousuke has never called Chidori by her given name. "Kaname".

Am I right in thinking that? From what I can tell he only ever called her Chidori.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 21:56   Link #5022
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I'm with you. Release dates for all the previous novels were broken as well. He is milking it, plane and simple. I have pretty much lost interest in this too. I don't even care what happens anymore, I just want to see closure. Even if all of them died, every last one, meh for me.
blashphemy absolute blasphemy
__________________
Full Metal Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 21:57   Link #5023
FeistyDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
I have a little question I hope someone can answer...

I recently re-watched the 3 anime series of FMP and re-read a few of the later novels, and from what I can tell, Sousuke has never called Chidori by her given name. "Kaname".

Am I right in thinking that? From what I can tell he only ever called her Chidori.
Yup, never once does he call her 'Kaname.' It's always Chidori. ^^ And never Chidori-san or anything (I have no idea where this 'Miss Chidori' came from). JUST Chidori.
__________________
FeistyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 22:36   Link #5024
Azel
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
Yup, never once does he call her 'Kaname.' It's always Chidori. ^^ And never Chidori-san or anything (I have no idea where this 'Miss Chidori' came from). JUST Chidori.
Forget Miss Chidori, I am fairly certain he has called her Kaname in the US dub! I think it was an episode of Fumoffu, I was rewatching a scene to see what it was like with the dubbed voices and I'm sure he said Kaname! It struck me because I was pretty sure he has never called her Kaname in the original Japanese.

It was a significant moment for Sousuke to called the Captain "Tessa"; I wonder if the final book with give us a lovey-dovey moment where Sousuke finally uses Kaname's name? *sighs* Gief new novel!

Last edited by Azel; 2010-03-28 at 23:06.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 23:48   Link #5025
FeistyDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
Forget Miss Chidori, I am fairly certain he has called her Kaname in the US dub! I think it was an episode of Fumoffu, I was rewatching a scene to see what it was like with the dubbed voices and I'm sure he said Kaname! It struck me because I was pretty sure he has never called her Kaname in the original Japanese.

It was a significant moment for Sousuke to called the Captain "Tessa"; I wonder if the final book with give us a lovey-dovey moment where Sousuke finally uses Kaname's name? *sighs* Gief new novel!
TToTT Another reason I don't watch dubs... *sigh* I haaaate when they change things! And that's such an easy thing to NEVER change, and it's so significant for the characters, so why would they!?

I know! I wonder if he'll say 'Kaname'? It'll be so emotional if he does!! ...Or maybe she'll hit him and demand he does, bring back the old feel with new ones? *grins* It'd be so perfect for them!! ^^
__________________
FeistyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 00:16   Link #5026
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
TToTT Another reason I don't watch dubs... *sigh* I haaaate when they change things! And that's such an easy thing to NEVER change, and it's so significant for the characters, so why would they!?

I know! I wonder if he'll say 'Kaname'? It'll be so emotional if he does!! ...Or maybe she'll hit him and demand he does, bring back the old feel with new ones? *grins* It'd be so perfect for them!! ^^
Dubs suck in most cases, just watch subs instead.

I can't recall did I made a reference back to MMD's sum-ups, but......
Spoiler:
__________________
Obviously ,hope is the first step to the road of disappointment.
But no fear, people can only overcome disappointment when one still has hope in the mind.
So keep on fighting UNTIL THE GOAL IS REACHED!!
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 10:03   Link #5027
FeistyDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Dubs suck in most cases, just watch subs instead.

I can't recall did I made a reference back to MMD's sum-ups, but......
Spoiler:
I never watch dubs. u.u; I'll occasionally peek at one just to see how bad it is, and then go crawling back to the Japanese voice actors.

And you're right! You did! I had completely forgotten about that (somehow!) Now that you say it though, I remember reading it and my mouth dropping open and thinking "He didn't... Did he!? He... YESSSS!!!!" ...or something along those lines anyways. (I'm easy to please when it comes to them, I guess.)

That's gotta be the next book on the list for me to buy, just so I can have such an awesome scene in my possession...
__________________
FeistyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 15:06   Link #5028
akire_and_atem
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mexico
Age: 25
Sousuke will probably say "Kaname" to bring her back and out of her "Sofia" state <3
akire_and_atem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 19:23   Link #5029
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire_and_atem View Post
Sousuke will probably say "Kaname" to bring her back and out of her "Sofia" state <3
That would be strange, but I would take that over a tragic ending anyday.
__________________
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 21:40   Link #5030
selilychidori
Selily Chidori
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
TToTT Another reason I don't watch dubs... *sigh* I haaaate when they change things! And that's such an easy thing to NEVER change, and it's so significant for the characters, so why would they!?

I know! I wonder if he'll say 'Kaname'? It'll be so emotional if he does!! ...Or maybe she'll hit him and demand he does, bring back the old feel with new ones? *grins* It'd be so perfect for them!! ^^
Had to step out of hibernation to say thsi..

Sousuke DOES say in english version "Kaname" in Episode 6 first season. After Kaname gets a bitchy fit and she touches his face...

and he actually HOLDS HER! and they stare....dreamily....


-sighs- THAT was the moment i fell inlove with FMP...
__________________
selilychidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:53   Link #5031
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
TToTT Another reason I don't watch dubs... *sigh* I haaaate when they change things! And that's such an easy thing to NEVER change, and it's so significant for the characters, so why would they!?

I know! I wonder if he'll say 'Kaname'? It'll be so emotional if he does!! ...Or maybe she'll hit him and demand he does, bring back the old feel with new ones? *grins* It'd be so perfect for them!! ^^
I'm with you there. Dubs usually are horrible. Only dub I've liked was Full Metal Alchemist.
__________________
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 01:26   Link #5032
Azel
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I'm with you there. Dubs usually are horrible. Only dub I've liked was Full Metal Alchemist.
Out of the various anime I saw dubbed before I came to my senses and switched to subs only, there was only 2 that I could go back and watch now and think they were just as good as the original Japanese.

1. Fruits Basket (all except Ayame - the voice actor laid on the "camp" a bit too thick and it kills the emotional scenes for this character).

2. Generator Gawl (the dub adds more humour to the story and as such makes it better I think.)

Otherwise, sadly, most other dubs I have seen have been pretty awful. But then, I haven't properly watched a dub of an anime since about 2002.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 04:50   Link #5033
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by selilychidori View Post
Had to step out of hibernation to say thsi..

Sousuke DOES say in english version "Kaname" in Episode 6 first season. After Kaname gets a bitchy fit and she touches his face...

and he actually HOLDS HER! and they stare....dreamily....


-sighs- THAT was the moment i fell inlove with FMP...
I found the sub version of this episode. Guess, it's the action of the dubs......Orginal Japanese VO still refers her as Chidori.
__________________
Obviously ,hope is the first step to the road of disappointment.
But no fear, people can only overcome disappointment when one still has hope in the mind.
So keep on fighting UNTIL THE GOAL IS REACHED!!
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 14:31   Link #5034
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Well, maybe it's because Sousuke is so formal. He calls Tessa Captain all the time, makes sense he would call her by last name.
__________________
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:12   Link #5035
selilychidori
Selily Chidori
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
Well, maybe it's because Sousuke is so formal. He calls Tessa Captain all the time, makes sense he would call her by last name.
to be honest, I think Sousuke does it because of Military practically. he's as simple as that. LOL

All military comrads address one anther by last name. thats why he never says san or sama or even chan.

He doesnt use those unless he thinks he needs it as a "civilian". I BELIEVE he uses Hayashimizu-san,..but am unsure..

its all about what his habbits are..XD..its not japanese..its military!

he never calls Mao, Melissa..

however he does call Kurtz..Kurtz..

guess its up to him..?

who knows...


I honestly think he doesnt call her Kaname,...out of fear of rejection.
__________________
selilychidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 09:33   Link #5036
Tabasco
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 31
I could see that, on an unconscious level if nothing else.

Not that he has anything to worry about in that department, but insecurities are rarely rational.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 17:49   Link #5037
aniyeri
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I'll say that he doesn't call people by their name because it means having a good relationship with a person. Since he is a mercenary, he shouldn't have confidence with anybody. I'll say that, with some time, he will call her using Kaname (and I'll say that he will "wake her up" with a kiss, they promised it a long time ago)
aniyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 22:58   Link #5038
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by selilychidori View Post
to be honest, I think Sousuke does it because of Military practically. he's as simple as that. LOL

All military comrads address one anther by last name. thats why he never says san or sama or even chan.

He doesnt use those unless he thinks he needs it as a "civilian". I BELIEVE he uses Hayashimizu-san,..but am unsure..

its all about what his habbits are..XD..its not japanese..its military!

he never calls Mao, Melissa..

however he does call Kurtz..Kurtz..

guess its up to him..?

who knows...


I honestly think he doesnt call her Kaname,...out of fear of rejection.
He's known Kurtz for a long time, since they were in that weird military barrack place where they were recruited. Mao, Kurtz, and Sousuke are pretty much partners. They share a bad ass bond of kicking terrorist ass? I would think so. Things are different when you have that kind of relationship. As for Kaname, he's always called her Chidori. Why would he change that?
__________________
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 13:53   Link #5039
SkoolRumble4Ya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
I can't believe there is no new information at all. Gatoh make it a epic ending and bring out the new season already,
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 17:23   Link #5040
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
I can't believe there is no new information at all. Gatoh make it a epic ending and bring out the new season already,
Don't get your hopes up. More likely than not, he won't finish that novel for another 2 years.
__________________
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novels, mecha, military, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.