AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-22, 17:45   Link #1
iwubanime
FMP wubber

No More Heroes

After much debate I plan on picking this up tomorrow when it comes out at my local Gamestop.

I'll admit the graphics look ok, the gameplay seems fun, the soundtrack is good, but overall I don't know whether this is an ok game or a superb game. All the reviews I've read so far seem to think pretty highly of it. I really like the style of the game.

However, whether I think it is just meh or awesome I will still get it. NMH didn't sell too well in Japan but the main guy behind it will create a sequel if it sells well in America / Europe. What's more is that third-party games aren't selling that well on Wii unless they are casual-oriented or if they are a franchise that has already proven itself. I like action/adventure/RPG games and I'd like to see more of these types of games on the Wii, that is one of the main reasons I am getting it.

So, the real point of this thread, is whether you guys are getting it or what you think of it.

EDIT: Not trying to push anyone into anything, if you don't want to buy it don't buy it. If you think it'd be better to rent then rent it. I was one of those rare souls who turned down a copy of Mario Galaxy. Great, great, game but I didn't want to own it.

Last edited by iwubanime; 2008-01-22 at 17:58.
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 17:54   Link #2
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

The game looks great and I love the art style. Also the story and the character are very interesting, I would love to get the game but I have no money .
Old 2008-01-22, 20:20   Link #3
jin07

The game doesn't look that fun to me. It seems like you mainly pound away on the A button with a few wii-gestures for killing moves. There also doesn't seem to be much variety to the common enemies you face outside of an appearance change. The world itself doesn't have much going for it either. If the city was more alive and there was more variety, I'd at least consider getting it. As it stands, I'd much rather spend my money on Smash Bros (if the game ever comes out ).
jin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 22:12   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I have only one thing to say about this game, "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEH!"
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 00:19   Link #5
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin07 View Post
The game doesn't look that fun to me.
Yup, it is one of those games you either hate or like. I really enjoyed NMH. For me personally it was one of the better games released last year. It has action, not too much talking and easy humour. One thing i didn't like is the travelling around the map.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 19:56   Link #6
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin07
The game doesn't look that fun to me. It seems like you mainly pound away on the A button with a few wii-gestures for killing moves. There also doesn't seem to be much variety to the common enemies you face outside of an appearance change.
Sure, you can do that for the grunts (of course, that means your ranking for the the stage drops) and survive, but if you try button mashing with the bosses, you're going to end up dead real quick. If you haven't learned to dodge by the third boss, the game is going to make you. You also have to be patient with the bosses and figure out the right time to hit them (they pretty much block everything otherwise). That kind of adds to the whole "old-school" feel to the game, trying to figure out the vulnerability of an otherwise invincible boss. Button mashing also doesn't help with the "kill all the enemies without getting hit once" extra missions. You have to isolate each of those grunts and kill them one by one, and (in my game, at least) they don't seem to chase after me unless I don't use the Z-lock and lure them to an isolated area (which pretty much leaves my back open). Even then they get smart enough to take advantage and hit me right when I'm turning to lock on to them.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 08:57   Link #7
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

I'll just post the intro vid for the uninformed.

Still a whole month until we get it here, gah! One more game that makes good use of the Wii's motion controls and an action one at that, with an odd cast of characters and great music. That's what I like about it
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 12:10   Link #8
iwubanime
FMP wubber

Just wanted to say I did pick up the game last week and have played it enough to say that I really enjoy it

iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:52   Link #9
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwubanime
Just wanted to say I did pick up the game last week and have played it enough to say that I really enjoy it
How far did you get? I'm still rank 8 since I keep spending all of my money on clothes and I wind up being too broke to pay the fees for the next ranked fight. Curse you Suda 51! How could I resist getting all three Bizarre Jelly T-shirts!?
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 19:37   Link #10
Oppius
Banned

Most people claimed that No More Heroes is more violent than Manhunt 2 but I disagree. The violence in NMH is too cartooney if compared to Manhunt 2 but I still agree that NMH is the best Wii game so far.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 17:10   Link #11
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm sure I'm going to love NMH. Ever since I've first read about it I've wanted to get this. Its really the first Wii game since Zelda that I've wanted to get. In fact NMH will be my 3rd Wii game alongside Far Cry and Zelda.
Old 2008-02-04, 00:09   Link #12
mokoi
nightmares of the mind

After beating the game i'll say one thing:
This is the best wii game to date!
mokoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 13:53   Link #13
Sides

No more heroes is coming to PS3 & 360.
Read more on andriasang or siliconera (with scans). It is funny how a game started on the ps2, made its way through all current generation consoles. Since both HD consoles do offer game patching, like patching a newly released game on released date, maybe it will receive motion controller support, like the wii version as well.
Old 2010-04-09, 05:28   Link #14
Sides

PS360 versions will be released in japan next week. So make sure to import it, go for the PS3 version, if you want to preorder because we won't know if the 360 version is region free until the release day.
Old 2010-04-09, 09:40   Link #15
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

what is this game about? Never heard about this before I:m afraid ><. Is this an RPG or an action game? or even a fighting game?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 08:25   Link #16
Sides

It is like an action-adventure/hack and slash game, with an american otaku nerd as main protagonist, he is more like a western style otaku, rather than the japanese definition of one. Storywise shouldn't be taken too seriously, but the story get interesting, especially the revelation of some characters and their relationship with travis.
The Wii version had some issues like traveling thought of santa destroy to the missions, which is fun at first, but get sometimes annoying, mainly because it is quite empty. Realistically the HD port should have higher framerate and higher res, i'm not sure if there is any additional game content, except for new clothing, in the ps3 or 360 version, but it is a port by feelplus, so if there is new stuff, story wise, it isn't coming from suda goichi. One fact is known, they have replaced the original voices with japanese one, which i feel kind of moves away of grasshoppers and suda's vision of the game. I don't know if the original vocals are still present with the HD ports.
As for oversea release of the HD port, non confirmed yet, apparently Ubisoft don't have plans for a NA release, and haven't heard any news from rising star games either (european publisher).

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, was release back in january the NA and will be released in may in europe, no news about japan. In one of suda's interview he stated that NMH2 basically ends travis' story and that NHM3 will feature someone new.