AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 53 Rating
Perfect 10 40 65.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 21.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 11.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-04-19, 16:18   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura5000 View Post
but is that piece of music that plays right after the eyecatches- when Mustang is telling everyone to go ahead because Envy is his prey- new?

I cant remember it, but I cant tell if its on the FMA soundtracks!

If it is, could anyone tell me its name?
It's been used already in the series, though it's not been featured on either of the first two soundtracks. We should get it on the third soundtrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
As for being no different from Envy...that's painting with a gross brush. When Roy kills a kid to start a civil war, I'll agree. But enjoying the fact that the enemy who murdered your friend suffers while you're trying to blow him to bits? Not really the same.
Sure they're not the same on that level, though what Endless Twilight meant was that Mustang is going down the path of enjoying the amount of pain he's dealing onto Envy, just like Envy has done in the past. They're the same in that regard.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 16:34   Link #42
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Anyways, I'm surprised to see all the anime-only watchers cheering so blindly for Roy without being at least a little shocked with his current behaviour. You do realize he's torturing an opponent for pleasure? In that sense, he's no different from Envy at this point.
Well I recall it was the same for manga readers when this chapter first came out. And that's the thing after waiting so long for it it might not be hard to enjoy seeing Roy take vengeance for Hughes' death and totally overpower Envy. At first the reader/viewer might not realize what this is doing to Roy. And I think that is the brilliance of Arakawa's writing that she makes us question what we ourselves wanted for so long.

Anyways the only thing I didn't like about this episode is Ed getting freaked out over Roy killing all the clones. Was that really necessary? Ed knows Roy is a good guy at this point. In fact Ed is worried about Roy because he knows Roy's true character and cares about him.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 16:42   Link #43
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well I recall it was the same for manga readers when this chapter first came out. And that's the thing after waiting so long for it it might not be hard to enjoy seeing Roy take vengeance for Hughes' death and totally overpower Envy. At first the reader/viewer might not realize what this is doing to Roy.
True that. I guess maybe I shouldn't have brought it up this episode and waited for next week. Oh well.

Quote:
Anyways the only thing I didn't like about this episode is Ed getting freaked out over Roy killing all the clones. Was that really necessary? Ed knows Roy is a good guy at this point. In fact Ed is worried about Roy because he knows Roy's true character and cares about him.
Oh god yes. Not only that, but they made Ed look all emo when he was fighting them. Nothing like in the manga. Please stop trying to turn him into his angsty first FMA anime self, Bones.
Vicious108 is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 16:43   Link #44
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Anyways the only thing I didn't like about this episode is Ed getting freaked out over Roy killing all the clones. Was that really necessary? Ed knows Roy is a good guy at this point. In fact Ed is worried about Roy because he knows Roy's true character and cares about him.
Yeah, I noticed that too, in the manga it was more of a comical expression, which I think worked a lot better. But then again, maybe they were trying to build up some kind of forboding in terms of Roy's mental state in the anime...? I felt that it wasn't necessary though.

Spoiler for Chapter 93 Panel:
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 16:43   Link #45
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
True that. I guess maybe I shouldn't have brought it up this episode and waited for next week. Oh well.
Well Ed and Scar already discussed their concern for Roy this episode so I think it's fine.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 16:54   Link #46
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too, in the manga it was more of a comical expression, which I think worked a lot better. But then again, maybe they were trying to build up some kind of forboding in terms of Roy's mental state in the anime...? I felt that it wasn't necessary though.

Spoiler for Chapter 93 Panel:
I was already expecting BONES to remove the comical scenes from this chapter. We all know very well how they've been treated upto now.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 17:06   Link #47
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I was already expecting BONES to remove the comical scenes from this chapter. We all know very well how they've been treated upto now.
I am okay that they removed the comical scenes to keep the situation more tense. However, they don't have to make Ed OOC in the process and look like he is terrified at what Roy did, when he clearly wasn't in the manga.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 18:43   Link #48
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Great episode. Really weird faces from Roy, but it was still good. The beginning was hilarious. What's his name is so out of the loop, lol.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 18:53   Link #49
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Roy deliberately waits for Envy to fully regenerate after every attack so he can inflict more pain on him. He could have killed him in the same room he killed Lust, but he wants to make it an agonizing death for envy.

He's literally toying with him.
Hmmm, that's true, he did seem to be a bit slow compared to when he dealt with Lust. When I compare, he really is less efficient compared to back then. I guess he really wants to prolong the satisfaction of his vengeance. That and he isn't half-dead and doesn't need to get his half-dead pal treated.

Hmmm, I see that part of the story in a new light now. I can see why there would be some worry that Roy is a bit too heated up, no pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am okay that they removed the comical scenes to keep the situation more tense. However, they don't have to make Ed OOC in the process and look like he is terrified at what Roy did, when he clearly wasn't in the manga.
I don't see it as being terrified. More like...hmm...horrified, or displeased and distressed. In the manga, Roy burnt their legs. In the anime he killed them all. And you know how Ed feels about killing; he refuses to kill. Remember when he was pinned by Envy back and when Ling was made into Greed? Ed couldn't even bear to shoot that human face/soul that was part of Envy's body.

Ed still sees those one-eyed creatures as human--as having human souls. And as being victims of a horrible experiment. That's why they showed him looking all emo about fighting them, and about Roy killing them.

I thought it was a bit cheesy, and maybe overdone, but it's not really OOC or unnatural for Ed to react how he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sure they're not the same on that level, though what Endless Twilight meant was that Mustang is going down the path of enjoying the amount of pain he's dealing onto Envy, just like Envy has done in the past. They're the same in that regard.
Hmm, maybe. I still think it's a disservice to paint them so similarly though. Enjoying the fact that random folk are suffering, and enjoying the fact that your friend's murderer is suffering--there's an important difference in character there (in this case anyway). Neither is especially commendable, but I think just saying "they're the same" or "they both enjoy others' suffering" is too much of a gloss.

It's like saying "Envy and Hawkeye are the same because they both kill". It's painting with a big brush. They're only "the same" because important details and differences between them are being left out.

Last edited by Grey; 2010-04-19 at 19:20.
Grey is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 19:02   Link #50
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fate's futon ofc
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Roy Mustang went berserk. Awesome. \o/
__________________



ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 19:25   Link #51
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Episode LIII: Flames of Revenge

The show has ignited within me a craving and anxiety to want for more Fullmetal Alchemist, that I'm desperate and eager to know what happens this week, but I have to wait.

Jeez!!

The fifty-third episode was so mind-blowing to me.

Spoiler:
Guido is online now  
Old 2010-04-19, 19:26   Link #52
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
omg if he roasts her im going to be mad lol

I haven't read te manga but this was probably my favourite episode so far, along with one or two episodes early on when scar was hunting down and fighting the state alchemists
__________________
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 19:28   Link #53
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
Mustang rocks!!!!!

Nice Episode
~Yami~ is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 22:20   Link #54
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The show has ignited within me a craving and anxiety to want for more Fullmetal Alchemist, that I'm desperate and eager to know what happens this week, but I have to wait.

Jeez!!

The fifty-third episode was so mind-blowing to me.
Same as me especially who've been obsessed about this anime till you can't sleep all night.

Mustang is on FIRE!!

And God, how embarassed that Bradley's Wife feel about her husband & son.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2010-04-19 at 23:11.
Jeffry2009 is offline  
Old 2010-04-19, 23:15   Link #55
Ziziphus
Whatever
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I don't see it as being terrified. More like...hmm...horrified, or displeased and distressed. In the manga, Roy burnt their legs. In the anime he killed them all. And you know how Ed feels about killing; he refuses to kill. Remember when he was pinned by Envy back and when Ling was made into Greed? Ed couldn't even bear to shoot that human face/soul that was part of Envy's body.

Ed still sees those one-eyed creatures as human--as having human souls. And as being victims of a horrible experiment. That's why they showed him looking all emo about fighting them, and about Roy killing them.

I thought it was a bit cheesy, and maybe overdone, but it's not really OOC or unnatural for Ed to react how he did.
Agreed about this. I think the reason Ed had troubles fighting the zombies is not that he's weak, but that he didn't really want to finish them off. He just felt shocked that Roy were able to dispose of them all without any hesitation. But yeah, it's a bit overdone and it made Ed look all emo (but then again we all know Bones like emo stuff). At least it's not the same kind of emo from the 1st series.

About the episode, great stuff! I love all the epic facial expressions of Roy and Envy. Just as expected from the director of ep 26! Hopefully, next episode will be as good, if not better!
__________________
Let's go Seishun Fishing! -Tsuritama
Ziziphus is offline  
Old 2010-04-20, 02:50   Link #56
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Really weird faces from Roy
Weird faces? I just see facial expressions that are full of anger, which fits his current state of mind.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2010-04-20, 03:28   Link #57
blewin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Roy epicness abound!

Actually, I thought Ed's pretty keen on avenging Hughes as well. Don't get why he'd be bothered with Roy taking care of Envy..... I just can't see him sensitive enough to worry about Roy's mental state. Leave that to Riza instead!
__________________

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline  
Old 2010-04-20, 06:58   Link #58
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Roy epicness abound!

Actually, I thought Ed's pretty keen on avenging Hughes as well. Don't get why he'd be bothered with Roy taking care of Envy..... I just can't see him sensitive enough to worry about Roy's mental state. Leave that to Riza instead!

You think that because you don't understand Ed.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2010-04-20, 07:54   Link #59
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Weird faces? I just see facial expressions that are full of anger, which fits his current state of mind.
Maybe it's just the jump in detail, but I don't think people's face contort that much. But it is anime...so nvm.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2010-04-20, 08:09   Link #60
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
This episode was pure awesome! My one gripe... why did Risa had to be so stupid as to walk in alone when there's a shapeshifter running around? Well judging from the previews it works out anyway without her getting burnt by Mustang.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.