AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-02, 00:03   Link #61
archer360360
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VIETNAM
Age: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to archer360360
and then TK is? Banshee?
Yui as medic! )
archer360360 is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 00:11   Link #62
CLL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
No, no, no.

I'm not saying that Angel was a Zealot in her former life...but she was a Starcraft player who preferred the Protoss...ah oh well.

I guess that works too.
CLL is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 00:17   Link #63
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
Bad luck, it got twisted. XD
Khu is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 00:17   Link #64
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
My take is that Yuri's theory of just going to class and disappear is wrong. We thought what she meant was that you lose your sense of self as you conform. But what if it's just another way of releasing your regrets and anger as you settle into a routine? Essentially it works the same way as Hinata and Iwasawa except taking a "time heals all" approach instead of waiting for them to have a epiphany.
Yuri is pretty much a raeging conspiracist who bases her theories merely off of her hatred for God, so yeah your idea of time healing all is definitely more sound. In fact, I think the Old Man Himself established this afterlife as a high school deliberately to make it easier for these teenagers to live out a normal life, slowing diluting the agitation from their previous life. It would also maximize the chances of them encountering their conflicts again and hopefully resolve them, like how Hinata almost achieved if not for a certain little devil's spectacularly timely interruption.
Eater of All is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 02:41   Link #65
CLL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Bad luck, it got twisted. XD
Haha, just be grateful Angel isn't a Zerg player. (Because I can imagine Angel burrowing...)

Another theory is that she is still in this "Purgatory" because she still needs to fulfill one of her desires (I think) which is to make friends. That was why she asked Otonashi if he was okay (or something like that).

This would also explain why she seemed a little concerned when Yui was yelling and so open about herself when Otonashi asked for her name.

But lets go back to my Starcraft theory...because Starcraft II is released in the Summer and the 13 episodes of Angel Beats! should end right in the middle of summer...
CLL is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 10:07   Link #66
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 23
My crazy theory is that they're all in acoma. The reason why they dissapear is they finally realise they have a reason to live, so they're ejected from the "dream" world and sent back into the real world.

It could end up with everyone dissapearing bar Yuri and Otonashi and in the end they all find each other in the real world? I'm not sure but it's a strange idea.
Qikz is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 10:17   Link #67
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
My crazy theory is that they're all in acoma. The reason why they dissapear is they finally realise they have a reason to live, so they're ejected from the "dream" world and sent back into the real world.

It could end up with everyone dissapearing bar Yuri and Otonashi and in the end they all find each other in the real world? I'm not sure but it's a strange idea.
That theory is similar to mine actually...

It's kinda of suck when they have to return to real life through. A habit of playing friendly joke would turn them all into murderers
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 12:08   Link #68
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
My crazy theory is that they're all in acoma. The reason why they dissapear is they finally realise they have a reason to live, so they're ejected from the "dream" world and sent back into the real world.

It could end up with everyone dissapearing bar Yuri and Otonashi and in the end they all find each other in the real world? I'm not sure but it's a strange idea.
So... It's .Hack?
__________________
Traece is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 21:31   Link #69
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
My crazy theory is that they're all in a coma. The reason why they dissapear is they finally realise they have a reason to live, so they're ejected from the "dream" world and sent back into the real world.
That coma idea isn't half bad... there's something to it. I totally disagree with the disappearance reason however.
When they're disappearing, it means that they've finally given up on life and are finally and ultimately *dying*

Take Iwasawa in ep.3 - in her recollection we see her lying in a hospital with a heavily bandaged head. A coma wouldn't be far off there.
Iwasawa's singing and guitar playing kept her will to live going. However, when they were taking that away from her and even wanted to take away her guitar, her most precious possession, that made her finally give up her will to live. After a last song showing her hopelessness, she gave up and disappeared, because she *died*

Yuri probably got to know this, that you need to keep fighting to keep living, because if you stop fighting and give up, you'll die - *really* die.

Angel is helping the people die - perhaps she views this as a form of euthanasia.
This makes Angel a very specific angel, the Angel of Death.
__________________
Himeji is offline  
Old 2010-05-02, 21:53   Link #70
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
That coma idea isn't half bad... there's something to it. I totally disagree with the disappearance reason however.
When they're disappearing, it means that they've finally given up on life and are finally and ultimately *dying*

Take Iwasawa in ep.3 - in her recollection we see her lying in a hospital with a heavily bandaged head. A coma wouldn't be far off there.
Iwasawa's singing and guitar playing kept her will to live going. However, when they were taking that away from her and even wanted to take away her guitar, her most precious possession, that made her finally give up her will to live. After a last song showing her hopelessness, she gave up and disappeared, because she *died*

Yuri probably got to know this, that you need to keep fighting to keep living, because if you stop fighting and give up, you'll die - *really* die.

Angel is helping the people die - perhaps she views this as a form of euthanasia.
This makes Angel a very specific angel, the Angel of Death.
it not showing hopelessness it is reaching the state of nirvana. Iwasawa finally found what she was looking for, which is why she pass on.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2010-05-03, 03:00   Link #71
Matt122005
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where I am, what more do you need to know?
It is indeed a coma. Watch the opening for the show. Notice the streaking thing that crosses the screen? It looks exactly like what you see on a life support monitor for a coma patient.

Also, Yuri mentioned that nobody who committed suicide came there. Why? Cause they'd really die.
Matt122005 is offline  
Old 2010-05-03, 15:50   Link #72
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
It is indeed a coma. Watch the opening for the show. Notice the streaking thing that crosses the screen? It looks exactly like what you see on a life support monitor for a coma patient.

Also, Yuri mentioned that nobody who committed suicide came there. Why? Cause they'd really die.
Its beginning to look more and more like a coma situation alright, cause if you were REALLY dead, even if you accomplished your past regrets you wouldn't able to disappear THAT easily, unless you ran into a miko.

But then that wouldn't explain how they don't age. cause sooner or later they would disappear in droves at the 40 year mark when the bops at the hospital sever the life support.
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Old 2010-05-03, 19:15   Link #73
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 23
The main reason I mentioned the fact them dissapearing is them living, for the main reason of something Iwasawa? said in that very episode. She said something like I realise what I want to do, I want to save people with my music like I was saved by others.

That was what got me thinking, perhaps Yuri knows why she's there and doesn't want to live or die as something bad happened to her in life and she's scared of death?
Qikz is offline  
Old 2010-05-03, 19:40   Link #74
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Apparently there's a lot of people in Japan that are all just randomly in a Coma. There must have been some hundred people in The Guild just sitting around making weapons. Being in a coma wouldn't entirely make sense for any character but Otonashi, because they all remembered and recited the situations that brought about their demise. They don't plainly say what killed them, but they clearly know that they're dead. I think that at least somebody in the "afterlife" would remember that their injury wasn't enough to cause death by any means. After all, comas don't always have to be caused by something just short of deadly. Although I'll admit that there's a slight bit of possibility in the comas theory, I think if that were the case they might as well be trapped inside an MMORPG while they're at it.

Besides, I prefer them ascending past the afterlife to a new beginning or something, rather than going back to their lives in which they were just horribly abused or something at some point in time.
__________________
Traece is offline  
Old 2010-05-03, 20:24   Link #75
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it not showing hopelessness it is reaching the state of nirvana. Iwasawa finally found what she was looking for, which is why she pass on.
Nonense
Having take away anything from you, even your most precious possession, certainly *doesn't* result in ultimate fulfillment, it only results in hopelessness and giving up.
Besides, if she really would have found which she had been looking for (which she clearly hasn't), she would've certainly sung a happier song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
It is indeed a coma. Watch the opening for the show. Notice the streaking thing that crosses the screen? It looks exactly like what you see on a life support monitor for a coma patient.
Another good point for coma. Also notice the "Beats" in "Angel Beats", which are shown on those ecg (electrocardiogram) graphs.

I think I have one more point supporting coma: Otonashi's lost memory. It's quite likely that it's resulting from some kind of severe head injury, which sent him into a coma and made him lose his memories.
The others entered the coma on other conditions, so they still have their memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Also, Yuri mentioned that nobody who committed suicide came there. Why? Cause they'd really die.
True. They're not dead yet, just lying in coma.
If they'd commited suicide, they'd be really dead and not in that world.
__________________
Himeji is offline  
Old 2010-05-05, 07:50   Link #76
ruurguy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Nonense
Having take away anything from you, even your most precious possession, certainly *doesn't* result in ultimate fulfillment, it only results in hopelessness and giving up.
Besides, if she really would have found which she had been looking for (which she clearly hasn't), she would've certainly sung a happier song.
Iwasawa's words seemed to indicate more that she found what she wanted to do than hopelessness and giving up. Why would she necessarily have to sing a "happy" song for fulfillment? It was a song she created and that she had personally wanted to use as it was "her" music, a ballad, and not GirlDeMo's, which Yuri wanted to be more rock and if anything, 'pop'. Someone tried to take her most precious possession and she fought to keep it. My view on is it is that she had fought and found what she was really looking for, having kept her guitar away from the people trying to take it away, had sung the song she wanted to sing, and in the end found what her purpose is. Maybe you are right but I don't see how you can say it is nonsense when there is evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Another good point for coma. Also notice the "Beats" in "Angel Beats", which are shown on those ecg (electrocardiogram) graphs.

I think I have one more point supporting coma: Otonashi's lost memory. It's quite likely that it's resulting from some kind of severe head injury, which sent him into a coma and made him lose his memories.
The others entered the coma on other conditions, so they still have their memories.


True. They're not dead yet, just lying in coma.
If they'd commited suicide, they'd be really dead and not in that world.

This does seem to make more and more sense. Although the question is, do they wake up from their coma, or "pass on" to the actual afterlife? Are they just all coincidently in coma's that have them in the same place or are they in some sort of experiment that would drive their consciousness' to the same place (ie are they being hooked up in some sort of lab together)? There is always the possibility of it being a bunch of trolling and red herrings too heh. This series is pretty fun so far, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes but speculation is fun =)
ruurguy is offline  
Old 2010-05-05, 18:46   Link #77
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
Maybe you are right but I don't see how you can say it is nonsense when there is evidence to the contrary.
I don't even see the tiniest evidence to the contrary.
The only thing that gave he the will to live and to go on was her singing.
This was taken away from her, which hit her pretty hard. When they then even wanted to take away her most precious possession, her guitar, she loses the last bit of her will to live and gives up, and after one last sad song she disappeared because she died.
I don't see the slightest bit of fulfillment in this hopelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
This does seem to make more and more sense. Although the question is, do they wake up from their coma, or "pass on" to the actual afterlife?
I'd say that depends... if they become full of hopelessness and lose their will to live like Iwasawa and then disappear, they'll most certainly die.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
Are they just all coincidently in coma's that have them in the same place or are they in some sort of experiment that would drive their consciousness' to the same place (ie are they being hooked up in some sort of lab together)? There is always the possibility of it being a bunch of trolling and red herrings too heh. This series is pretty fun so far, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes but speculation is fun =)
I'd say that all the ones we see in the ED group pic are lying in a coma.
I wouldn't include the workers from the guild there, I'd say they're just some sort of special Npcs which Yuri somehow convinced to work for her.

That with the lab experiment sounds rather unlikely imo... I seriously doubt they would use coma patients for experiments.
__________________
Himeji is offline  
Old 2010-05-05, 19:36   Link #78
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I don't even see the tiniest evidence to the contrary.
The only thing that gave he the will to live and to go on was her singing.
This was taken away from her, which hit her pretty hard. When they then even wanted to take away her most precious possession, her guitar, she loses the last bit of her will to live and gives up, and after one last sad song she disappeared because she died.
I don't see the slightest bit of fulfillment in this hopelessness.
She had fulfillment from playing her last song because even though the song was rejected by Yuri, and was different from her normal songs. Everyone including Tenshii still seemed to like her song anyways.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is online now  
Old 2010-05-05, 20:35   Link #79
ruurguy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I don't even see the tiniest evidence to the contrary.
The only thing that gave he the will to live and to go on was her singing.
This was taken away from her, which hit her pretty hard. When they then even wanted to take away her most precious possession, her guitar, she loses the last bit of her will to live and gives up, and after one last sad song she disappeared because she died.
I don't see the slightest bit of fulfillment in this hopelessness.
Hmm, so are you saying that despair is what causes people to disappear then? So there was no chance that Hinata would have disappeared if he caught the ball? I suppose we don't know since Hinata *didn't* disappear afterall. We'll just have to disagree I suppose on Iwasawa's situation cause every time I watch it she comes across as having an epiphany to me at the end and being fulfilled and thus able to pass on after fighting to keep her guitar from being taken from her and singing the song she wanted to sing.
ruurguy is offline  
Old 2010-05-05, 22:39   Link #80
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I don't even see the tiniest evidence to the contrary.
The only thing that gave he the will to live and to go on was her singing.
This was taken away from her, which hit her pretty hard. When they then even wanted to take away her most precious possession, her guitar, she loses the last bit of her will to live and gives up, and after one last sad song she disappeared because she died.
I don't see the slightest bit of fulfillment in this hopelessness.
The way I see the situation in ep3, when the teacher dude tried taking Iwasawa's guitar, she didn't lose her will to live so much as she's fighting back and singing her song in retaliation against him (and "other people"). Iwasawa's ballad sounds sad, but from what I can gleam from the lyrics, it's actually a hopeful song about strength and perseverence without a hint of despair in it. In the process, Iwasawa realized that "the meaning behind [her] life" is "to keep on singing" and to "save others the same way" that music saved her life. Her final line, "I finally found it", said with a smile, strongly suggests that whatever has been troubling her has finally been lifted from her shoulders, and that she can now leave with no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
This does seem to make more and more sense. Although the question is, do they wake up from their coma, or "pass on" to the actual afterlife? Are they just all coincidently in coma's that have them in the same place or are they in some sort of experiment that would drive their consciousness' to the same place (ie are they being hooked up in some sort of lab together)? There is always the possibility of it being a bunch of trolling and red herrings too heh. This series is pretty fun so far, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes but speculation is fun =)
If we're going with the coma theory, I think the most plausible scenario is that every one of these kids had suffered from a near-fatal accident/illness, and were gathered together in their comatose state to get hooked up into some med machine that attempts to prolong their life. That would explain (to a degree, at least) why all the SSS members remember how they'd died; in reality, they haven't died, but were merely critically injured. As for the reason for this virtual reality, well, maybe the machine also comes with the function of exercising its patient's brain to keep it fit?
Eater of All is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.