AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-08, 02:55   Link #61
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Was anyone else REALLY weirded out by Otonashi's behavior this episode? He goes throughout the series up until now being relatively passive and then suddenly, in the cell, he just starts freaking out and screaming... and don't get me started on the later scene where he seems to know exactly how to fix Naoi... while continuing with the freaking out and screaming.

Everything bad about this show wouldn't be nearly so if it had more time to set up everything... at this point, I'm starting to demand a visual novel adaptation.

People seem to be blaming Maeda for how shallow all this feels, but anyone who says that obviously hasn't actually played the games written by him. The problem is, of course, that it's just so rushed.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:14   Link #62
Francismeunier
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I wonder if the number of discussions in Episode 5 was enough but... *sigh*.
Spoiler for more rant:
Well the problem with Kanade is her emotions are not seen really well due to the fact that she is as mysterious as she is portrayed to be. That's good but in a way it keeps our hunger to analyze her more than other characters personally I find it a good thing since it keeps my interest up in her. As for Yuri I agree with you since her side of over exaggeration on Tenshi in the bullying was over the top and hopefully she will be grateful to her by the next episode. Ideally I hope she evolves in understanding Tenshi more as a human.
Francismeunier is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:18   Link #63
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
This was a mixed bag of an episode for me, containing both good and bad points. Tenshi getting more exposition and getting a bit closer with Otonashi is something i liked, as she still remains one of the more mysterious elements of the show, so getting one step closer to her actual story is a nice development and one i look towards being furthered. The atmosphere was also set up quite nicely, the grim feeling of the scenery they were trying to convey worked pretty well ...

Until we got smacked in the face with Naoi's past out of nowhere. This has got to be one of the most blunt momentum breaks in recent history, because the transition was so jarring it threw me off completely. They moved too fast too soon, the momentum and atmosphere were disrupted, and everything about the episode afterwards felt awkward. Another complaint i have, though on a lesser scale, is Otonashi himself, as his character didn't really feel in line with how he was portrayed up to now; it was simply awkward in general, going from his immediate distraught after being thrown in that cell, to his sudden urge to hug Naoi. (I wonder why the NPCs didn't gun him down during his charge towards Naoi ) Meh.

As for my position on SSS being gunned down ...*shrug*, i suppose that scene was intended to be shocking to a degree, but i didn't really feel anything aside from being surprised how brutally Naoi handled it all. They have been running around with guns the whole time, so being shot back at during some point doesn't really strike me as anything too odd. If one is willing to shoot, you are willing to get shot in return. All part of war

It will be interesting to see where they go from here, assuming the issue with Naoi is resolved (Which it does seem to be) and Tenshi remains non-hostile, as SSS would be out of immediate enemies, but we shall see i guess. An interesting episode, but awkwardly executed with some bad transitions.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:37   Link #64
dark998
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It could easily be possible that as you said similar to Toei's work on Clannad and Kanon, it might be a directorial issue with the studio, in this case PA Works.

In any case I wholeheartedly agree, and again lament the multitude of possibilities that we could have been witness to if KyotoAni was instead the studio behind it.
Except they butchered the adaptation of Clannad and Kanon too. KyoAni, not so good.
dark998 is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:42   Link #65
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
As for Yuri I agree with you since her side of over exaggeration on Tenshi in the bullying was over the top and hopefully she will be grateful to her by the next episode. Ideally I hope she evolves in understanding Tenshi more as a human.
It seems you totally mistook what I posted. I was merely summarizing your point with overexaggeration and sarcasm, due to the fact you are saying it is "deserved" because they were "mean". Of course they aren't goody 2 shoes to her, due to the circumstances... and for some reason, it is "over the top" whereas the result wasn't intended at all.
For all it is worth, I believe the emphasis was more like a matter of observation of the facts, since I see lot of people jumping on the gun due to the rather not so subtle mood done (hence why I mentioned that the so called "depressed" scene was Otonashi's narration and interpretation).

I won't pretend Yuri wasn't mistaken, and that it will certainly make things easier when the both of them can simply interact normally, but it is certainly tiring to see an absolute "black and white" claim on this character cast... *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Except they butchered the adaptation of Clannad and Kanon too. KyoAni, not so good.
... I really think the debate doesn't belong here, but allow me to fully disagree, unless you mistook Toei. I mean... butchered? When they managed to unfold all heroines routes (except Kyou and Tomoyo for Clannad) borderline perfectly despite they can't use the original game timeline/type of narration? huuu... you sure have quite the expectations here.
Anyway, it would be much better if we avoid studio usual chit chat, as it will go nowhere.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:44   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Except they butchered the adaptation of Clannad and Kanon too. KyoAni, not so good.
And that's where we have a difference of opinion. Off topic at this point.

Of course that doesn't change my point that it could easily be the studio's prerogative and that Maeda Jun might have had something different in mind.
MeoTwister5 is online now  
Old 2010-05-08, 03:54   Link #67
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
Ayato Naoi > Shinji Ikari 2.0 + seiyuu jokes

now where the heck did he hide his Eva unit 01? hmmmm...
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER

Last edited by DRAGUN H.E.X.; 2010-05-08 at 04:06.
DRAGUN H.E.X. is online now  
Old 2010-05-08, 04:00   Link #68
farios
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Wow, considering this episode contains a lot of Angel x Otonashi moments i thought a lot of people would rate this ep higher than the prev ep.
Spoiler for ep 6:


And also is that Nobuyuki Hiyama and Aki Toyosaki's voices in the next ep preview?

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-08 at 04:12. Reason: removed unrelated series spoilers
farios is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 04:24   Link #69
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
I ended up rating the episode a 6, mainly because of the same points raised in this thread about Otonashi's OOC behavior and the awkward shift to Naoi's backstory.

What got the most about the episode however was when Naoi reveled that he is able to use some sort of ''magical hypnosis'' with his eyes. I never knew that potters were capable of that. Seriously, how did he learn that? I thought that you had to have knowledge from when you were alive for them to create things in this world?

Now I understand that with what we've seen from Kanade that things don't have to necessarily be realistic and what not and that the anime already thrown that with the purgatory like setting, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
(I wonder why the NPCs didn't gun him down during his charge towards Naoi )
There was a quick scene where we see her retract Hand Sonic and the body of one of the hypnotized NPC's, so it's implied that she gutted all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As for my position on SSS being gunned down ...*shrug*, i suppose that scene was intended to be shocking to a degree, but i didn't really feel anything aside from being surprised how brutally Naoi handled it all. They have been running around with guns the whole time, so being shot back at during some point doesn't really strike me as anything too odd. If one is willing to shoot, you are willing to get shot in return. All part of war
I think that the main problem with the scene was that after playing death off as a joke for the last 5 episodes, they all of the sudden come and expect the viewer to be shocked at that everyone is injured and dying, when the only thing truly shocking about the thing was how Naoi acted throughout the episode, so the situation lacked the impact it could have had.
__________________
Arabesque is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 04:36   Link #70
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 28
count me as one that hate the whole later half of the episode, i can't really put it into word, but its just too err sudden? no not that, its like the scene transition is too fast and weird, one moment there we have massacre, and then sudden hug and flashback? either it is the transition or the pacing was bad, but yea meh, episode 5 was good, now this one is well.. duh, the saving part is the first half
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681 target=_blank>http://forums.animesuki.com/image.ph...ine=1223597681</a>
Joachim is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 04:53   Link #71
DownloadingData
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
People all wounded? They ain't dying anyways.
.................That doesn't it make it a less pleasant situation. Being helpless and in pain is no better then being just dead.
DownloadingData is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 04:57   Link #72
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
I enjoyed this episode but had some relatively serious issues with parts of it. I really like the scenes with Kanade and find her character adorable but I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with the whole "I'm a troubled and depressed girl." thing. We get it, she wasn't that bad after all, she has a sad back story, we're supposed to feel bad for her. Maybe it's just the contrarian in me but I find myself wanting to not feel sorry for her, and discovering I really can't. I can't feel anything but a desire to hug her and tell her everything's going to be ok. But at this point I find her to be a relatively boring character because she doesn't seem to have any depth to her.

Sure, you wonder about her past and where she came from but she has no emotions, no powerful desires, no weaknesses, no faults. I find a character like Yuri more interesting because her actions can be interpreted multiple ways and you can try to justify them or condemn them. The point is that there's gray area and room for debate with Yuri. Kanade is just generic cute, quiet, mysterious girl. Now this could all change over the next few episodes but at this point I'm disappointed in the lack of depth in a character that I feel has a ton of potential.

Then there's the real issue with the episode and that is basically everything dealing with Naoi. To me he suffered from basically the reverse issue that Kanade suffered from. I watch the episode and I'm thinking "We get the point, the guy's not a very good guy." and again there seemed to be no room for debate. I personally can't stand characters that seem like they can do no good and are just there to frustrate the viewer when they don't get what you feel they deserve. There was potential for either an epic ending or at least some kind of depth in Naoi's character at the end but it kind of fell on its face for me. His whole back story felt extremely rushed and instead of having a new found appreciation for the motivations behind his actions I find myself thinking "What the heck did I just watch?"

I was kind of hoping that they'd take it in a different direction during the scene where Naoi is trying to make Yuri disappear. After Naoi declared himself to be God I was hoping to see him say something about granting her wish/making her dream come true and causing her to disappear and she would respond with something like "My dream is to kill/get revenge on God!" and then pull out a blade and stab him. Instead it turns out all he needed was a hug which was an extremely unsatisfying ending in my book.
__________________
DasDingus is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:08   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Rated 9/10 for Kanade. Her scenes and TK are the only thing saving this episode.

The first part was good, with Kanade getting more exposition and the SSS guys doing their silly antics. Good to see Otonashi treat her to mappo tofu, that's what he should have done last episode. There was still an attempt at depressing us with Otonashi trying to imagine Kanade's life, but I'm glad her scenes were done on a humorous tone overall, with her eating at the speed of light, the various hand sonic, etc... That's a fun side of her we never saw until now.

The second part was pretty much a trainwreck. How can you use death as comedy all the time and then suddenly expect us to feel bad for them now? The drama was just all wrong, especially with Otonashi the amnesiac hugging and lecturing Naoi about life, as it was pointed out before. What were they thinking? There is no way I can take this seriously. The hypnotism trick was also pretty hilarious.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:12   Link #74
bigdeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I don't think you were suppose to take the "massacre" seriously. Its meant to be an absurd switch in tone.

And angel made the episode. She was so moe and just so cute.

I honestly thought this episode was a perfect 10. Maybe I just like Angel too much.....
__________________
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/bigdeath111/madokamagicasig.jpg
bigdeath is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:19   Link #75
archer360360
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VIETNAM
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to archer360360
My dearly Yui was forgotten cuz "Kanade in the box" and her 4th skill,
Anyways, I don't know how TK suppose to land when he jump out the window like that
archer360360 is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:35   Link #76
Francismeunier
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It seems you totally mistook what I posted. I was merely summarizing your point with overexaggeration and sarcasm, due to the fact you are saying it is "deserved" because they were "mean". Of course they aren't goody 2 shoes to her, due to the circumstances... and for some reason, it is "over the top" whereas the result wasn't intended at all.
For all it is worth, I believe the emphasis was more like a matter of observation of the facts, since I see lot of people jumping on the gun due to the rather not so subtle mood done (hence why I mentioned that the so called "depressed" scene was Otonashi's narration and interpretation).

I won't pretend Yuri wasn't mistaken, and that it will certainly make things easier when the both of them can simply interact normally, but it is certainly tiring to see an absolute "black and white" claim on this character cast... *sigh*
Well English is not so good with me so yes I mistook a little what you said. Well Otonashi is the only one who was willing to sit down in this episode and eat the same food as Tenshi. I don't think he ever wanted to do anything to Tenshi but Yuri kind of forced it on him. We can really see in this episode that although there were hints earlier on. This episode confirms it more than anything. I think the over the top applies more to Yuri's actions......I still wonder if she thinks Tenshi was working for God because of her fight techniques.....what do you think?
Francismeunier is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:35   Link #77
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 25
As many people have said above, the first half with Kanade was excellent (and TK is just lol all the time, love that guy), but the last part was just... what the hell. Too sudden, too much of a shift, too much OOC And I still don't get the "*gasp* they are all dead, you bastard!" when they've died several times before. Even with the pain itself of being killed... they sure didn't show it during other eps.
__________________

NorthernFallout is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 05:59   Link #78
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
First part was sweet. Second part was meh, rushed. It was balantly obvious they were censoring the gore for whatever reason, even though the setting allows for hell to break loose on a daily basis.

The flash back should have been in the first half, Otonashi's reactions were understandable, but his resolution and actions were rushed.

5/10 - More Gore P.A Works Less Goofing.

7/10 - TK!
Crontica is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 06:11   Link #79
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
so, it means when they are disappearred from the world = rest in peace ????
I hope they will have a chance to continue their life again....
~Yami~ is offline  
Old 2010-05-08, 06:18   Link #80
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Naoi was going to use the hypnosis to permanently remove them from the realm forcing their consciousness to drop it's guard, leading them them back to earth.
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.