AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-22, 22:32   Link #101
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Far Cry 1 really isn't really great to play, the ground breaking gameplay came from the multiplayer and the single player is just too ridiculous even on lower difficulties because the enemies much like in crysis seem to know exactly where you are even if you use stealth or cover. I also really emplore you to check out some old school games like many lucas arts point and click adventures which are the pinnacle of the genre and story telling threw video games. Also the half life remake is called black mesa and it's still delayed, this is made by a bunch of modders but hopefully it will be out sometime next year.

HL stuff is all non source, yep blue shift, opposing forces are still in the hl engine and haven't been updated.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 22:51   Link #102
Statonxyb
hrm
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York, USA
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Steam has had some amazing sales... I've picked up some wonderful "tiny little gems" for $2-$10.
(e.g. World of Goo, Torchlight, Osmos, etc). Even the Borderlands 4-pack was a good deal - I gave or sold the other copies in exchange for about $10 off of list.

The upside of Steam's model is a lot of little games that don't have the numbers to get full-scale production still get fed this way. I just hope they have a customer-friendly exit strategy if they close shop for whatever reason.
This

For those with any interest in picking up some PC titles this holiday season, head over to Steam's store now, as there are some downright amazing deals to be had.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for $13? Sign me up.

Eidos Collector Pack, which includes:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations Midway
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: GotY
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Flora's Fruit Farm
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
Mini Ninjas
Project Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider Legend
Tomb Raider Underworld

All for $50.

/Shameless Steam fanboy
__________________
Statonxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 01:03   Link #103
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
My new Y550 came in!

O_O...DREAM MACHINE is all I have to say, aside from the onboard sound, but what the heck...it's a laptop for crying out loud >.<...
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 03:29   Link #104
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Far Cry 1 really isn't really great to play, the ground breaking gameplay came from the multiplayer and the single player is just too ridiculous even on lower difficulties because the enemies much like in crysis seem to know exactly where you are even if you use stealth or cover. I also really emplore you to check out some old school games like many lucas arts point and click adventures which are the pinnacle of the genre and story telling threw video games. Also the half life remake is called black mesa and it's still delayed, this is made by a bunch of modders but hopefully it will be out sometime next year.

HL stuff is all non source, yep blue shift, opposing forces are still in the hl engine and haven't been updated.
I can't say I really agree on Far Cry... neither my dad or I touched the multiplayer and we both consider it among the best FPSes we've played. I'm not really sure that I would like the game as much if it was easy to escape from the AI either... Far Cry always struck me as far more of an "action" shooter than a stealth one, and my favourite part of the game was having running firefights with the enemies who would chase me after a hit and run attack. Maybe I just have a thing for running away and then picking enemies off as they close in, but Crytek is honestly the only company I've seen pull this style of gameplay off well.

You're right about both the mod and the Half Life expansions though. To explain it for those not in the know, Half Life uses a separate game engine from Half Life: Source - the latter uses Half Life 2's engine. So the expansion packs and such for the first game won't work on Source, although I get the impression that the steam versions of these expansions don't require the original Half Life anyway (if memory serves me, one of the expansions used to require a copy of Half Life, while the other was a standalone expansion).

And Statonxyb... good catch on the Witcher Enhanced Edition for $13. Definitely recommended. Since we've been talking about it, I'll also point out Far Cry for $5 (50% off the usual).
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 04:20   Link #105
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Steam Holiday Sale!!!! OMG!!!!!! It's amazing.

Already picked up
Defense Grid, 2.50
AudioSurf, 2.50
Killing Floor, 9.99
Jedi Knight Collection, 9.99

I should have waited on the bottom two, but I got edgy on the trigger
__________________
Shinoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 04:38   Link #106
CrazyPerson
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
http://www.steamgamesales.com/

That site lists all the games on sale in an orderly fashion. Percent off and so on included. Doesn't include packs of games on Steam though, some of which is a steal.

Have you guys seen the Valve complete pack? The price is completely crazy. 74 games like TF2, Portal, all the Half Life stuff, all the Counterstrike stuff, both Left 4 Dead games all for 75 bucks. Both L4D games make it worth it already.

Anyone know if the Jedi Knight series from the Jedi Knight steam pack is any good? I might grab that too.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 12:26   Link #107
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
My new Y550 came in!

O_O...DREAM MACHINE is all I have to say, aside from the onboard sound, but what the heck...it's a laptop for crying out loud >.<...
This is how I'll feel when my computer comes in. My current computer has 512 MB of RAM, a single core 2.0 Ghz Pentium 4 for a processor, and a measly 40 GB hard drive and a lousy Geforce 4 MX 420 for a graphics card (there are some Geforce 2 cards that are more powerful than it, and the Geforce 3 is more powerful than it ;_; ).
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 12:55   Link #108
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I can't say I really agree on Far Cry... neither my dad or I touched the multiplayer and we both consider it among the best FPSes we've played. I'm not really sure that I would like the game as much if it was easy to escape from the AI either... Far Cry always struck me as far more of an "action" shooter than a stealth one, and my favourite part of the game was having running firefights with the enemies who would chase me after a hit and run attack. Maybe I just have a thing for running away and then picking enemies off as they close in, but Crytek is honestly the only company I've seen pull this style of gameplay off well.

.
Well it's not even stealth, if I assualt the damn enemy I should have the advantage because the enemy is reacting to me, not the other way around. If attack from a bush, they shouldn't know where I am before I reveal my self with my gunfire, it's the very sloppy ai programming that basically gave them all aimbot just to "up" the difficulty when it's not really realitstic at all. That being said far cry is beautiful and pretty much up to last section of the game is a pretty decent shooter fps wise but still these glaring flaws do make you wonder what crytek was doing.

Oh yea steam sale is redonculous, unfortunately all the good games i already have, but I will be picking up gta iv soon WOOT, 8 bucks for a port but still if we do end up gettin the dlc that would be even better.

@crazy person
valve complete pack was cheaper a while back, but honestly I think they need to just officially price drop half life... a 10 year old game really should not be worth ten dollars, and considering they have no distro costs other than bandwidth that they already pay for their new games, they should just lower the price since it's all profit anyway.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 14:10   Link #109
tkdtiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Florida
i get my ram some time next week : ) so than I'll spend some time upgrading : ) I'll be playing the witcher and I think eventually I want to try dragon age origins both games look really cool...Did they ever fix Far Cry 3 for the PC I know it had bugs in it that made characters disappear and it caused some quests to be broken...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:01   Link #110
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
I'm new to this entire graphics card upgrading thing so can anyone recommend a graphics card for an HP dv4 1028us laptop? (Not really the best of laptops but I have to make do with what I have).
And would the local Best Buy/HP stores do the service for you? I don't want to destroy my laptop anymore than I already did.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:03   Link #111
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
I'm new to this entire graphics card upgrading thing so can anyone recommend a graphics card for an HP dv4 1028us laptop? (Not really the best of laptops but I have to make do with what I have).
And would the local Best Buy/HP stores do the service for you? I don't want to destroy my laptop anymore than I already did.
You cannot upgrade laptop graphics card since they are on the motherboard. You need to replace your entire computer in order to upgrade to a better graphics card. Laptops with more powerful graphics card tends to be more expensive and alot heavier.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:05   Link #112
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
You cannot upgrade laptop graphics card since they are on the motherboard. You need to replace your entire computer in order to upgrade to a better graphics card. Laptops with more powerful graphics card tends to be more expensive and alot heavier.
Ah okay. No wonder they said laptops suck with games. Thanks anyway.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 22:51   Link #113
tkdtiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
You cannot upgrade laptop graphics card since they are on the motherboard. You need to replace your entire computer in order to upgrade to a better graphics card. Laptops with more powerful graphics card tends to be more expensive and alot heavier.
well technically it depends on the laptop. Some laptops you can upgrade the video card, but in many cases it's hard to do so. Some companies sale upgrades for video cards while others don't. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though, because it can be quite difficult, but it can be done
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 13:40   Link #114
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
well technically it depends on the laptop. Some laptops you can upgrade the video card, but in many cases it's hard to do so. Some companies sale upgrades for video cards while others don't. Personally I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though, because it can be quite difficult, but it can be done
I heard of those, they use Mobile PCI EXpress Module... but the only problem is that most laptops don't even support them and they are more expensive than regular graphics cards and usually on gaming notebooks which are more expensive and alot heavier.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 18:45   Link #115
tkdtiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I heard of those, they use Mobile PCI EXpress Module... but the only problem is that most laptops don't even support them and they are more expensive than regular graphics cards and usually on gaming notebooks which are more expensive and alot heavier.
yep and many of those computers are quite pricey that can use it...alienware being one of them I believe some hp's can as well.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 21:22   Link #116
SpyderSidiouss
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
hm, there have been several publications about voodoo pc being scraped or simply being a shiny sticker on hp's "high end" machines (which seem to be a product line that attempts to copy macs). When asked about it, the company as well as voodoo's former owner only give vague and cryptic responses that tell the public nothing. As for the other boutique pcs, they still seem to be around; with Maingear pc appearing to be the current leader of the pack...

I think general pc knowledge has been spreading around and people are realizing how much they're getting ganked for by products from these companies. I've always been interested in how companies like these manage to even stay afloat let alone achieve some of the huge success some of these guys have managed to achieve.
SpyderSidiouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 17:34   Link #117
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Imagination Land
Age: 29
I went into my nearest game store, and :'( the pc selection is now only the top 20 and a few other new games. This is awful
__________________
Ak3mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 13:10   Link #118
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
For those worrying that GTA V may not be released for PC, this may be interesting good news:

Amazon Germany lists GTA V PC-Version for pre-order
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 21:16   Link #119
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
Well Rockstar has a habit of releasing their games on PC half a year after the console version, so I wouldn't be worried.

Also, I think this is the thread you're looking for: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=4617840
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 22:18   Link #120
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Well I would rather post it here, because of these worries that some people seem to have that "because of piracy, PC gaming is on decline", which many used as a possible reason, why GTA V may not be released on the PC.
Also, after seeing XBone and PS4 threads so active, while being absent from the console world for quite a lot of time, I wanted people to discuss the "one and only true game platform" else I feel so left out...


so... to make this post stay on topic:

There are a lot of cheap games at steam right now because of the Steam Summer Sales 2013. Right now you can get Deus Ex: Human Revolution for mere 2,84! It is still continuing until July 22nd, so don't miss it.

Also for those who like it as a mod and want to see it reach the next level:
DayZ Standalone to be released at latest in mid-August
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.