AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2010-05-20, 00:11   Link #1
MixSix

I want to make authentic anime in America.

.....but the thing is, I can't draw. I'm in college for creative writing, but I don't consider myself good enough to start yet. I have some original concepts though, here's one of them:

...anyway, even if I did up my skills, I'd need to find people to do the artwork, and seeing how popular AnimeSuki is, I thought why not here? Does anyone here do 1:1 anime/manga art? Anyone have any advice for someone like me?

EDIT: I am aware that someone by the username "babybro" was in a similar, yet opposite position that I am in, but has moved on somewhat.

EDIT 2: Just realized it's probably not a good idea for me to broadcast my unfinished story ideas on the internet, risking it being stolen....

Last edited by MixSix; 2010-05-20 at 01:21.
MixSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 02:05   Link #2
Kudryavka

The definition of anime is Made in Japan. Anime are Japanese cartoons, coming from there. No American anime exists, friend. To make anime, you'll have to make it in Japan, technically. As of now, anime-influenced cartoons usually don't do well in the States, and the few that do have some other redeeming feature than their artistic influence (TT was an adaptation of an already popular superhero group, Avatar has amazing story depth, etc.).

And to make a whole cartoon, a forum is an okay place to start, but methinks you should be aiming bigger, like getting together some animator friends or something.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 02:11   Link #3
cyth
ふひひ

Not really, anime can be made pretty much anywhere as that is the case with most anime productions anyway. The key point what defines anime as Japanese cartoons is that it has to be made primarily for the Japanese audience. Japanese fans have other criteria what qualifies as anime, such as every staff position above and including key frame animation has to be done by Japanese artists.
Old 2010-05-20, 02:44   Link #4
MixSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
The definition of anime is Made in Japan. Anime are Japanese cartoons, coming from there. No American anime exists, friend. To make anime, you'll have to make it in Japan, technically. As of now, anime-influenced cartoons usually don't do well in the States, and the few that do have some other redeeming feature than their artistic influence (TT was an adaptation of an already popular superhero group, Avatar has amazing story depth, etc.).

And to make a whole cartoon, a forum is an okay place to start, but methinks you should be aiming bigger, like getting together some animator friends or something.
Actually, I had already considered that....I think that, outside of Asia, art is what separates Anime from other animation. Well, to the general public, anyway, the anime community would go deeper than that. If I could just find someone to help me with the art.....which is why I referred to babybro, who could draw but didn't have a story at first. I'm a few years late, I'm afraid
MixSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 09:40   Link #5
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixSix View Post
EDIT 2: Just realized it's probably not a good idea for me to broadcast my unfinished story ideas on the internet, risking it being stolen....
lmao, no one's going to steal your idea dawg.
I request a PM now, explaining the story in as little detail as possible(in order to ease your conscious).
I want to see what was so grand about it, that someone would look over it and think, "Ooooh, ka-ching!"
Old 2010-05-20, 10:27   Link #6
Rahan

Try to work for the guys who did Avatar : the last Airbender.
It's the closest thing of North American "anime" you'll find. (although their universe is more chinese than japanese based).

And since it was very succesful, I expect them to continue. I mean, with animes become popular, there are plenty of american studios trying their luck in adopting a more anime-ish presentation for their new cartoons.
At this point, you should just try to join the cartoon industry and see what you can do.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 13:30   Link #7
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

To be honest, there's no shortage of random guys with ideas and creative writing skills. You'll need to be able to draw.