AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-26, 02:27   Link #1901
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wow, I do feel guilty about not buying the DVD/BD but at least I can assuage my conscience when I get a paycheck again and buy the disk.

And lookee, two new scenes. They're really minor though, and don't really add much to what I've already seen from Rebuild 2.0.

Can't wait for the next two movies.

P.S. I'm an old hand EVA fan too, but I think arguing about how the movie compares to the series is a pointless exercise, as they're two different entities made of two different eras. Also, take note that the Rebuild movies are directed from a very different Anno than from fifteen years ago.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 03:03   Link #1902
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
P.S. I'm an old hand EVA fan too, but I think arguing about how the movie compares to the series is a pointless exercise, as they're two different entities made of two different eras. Also, take note that the Rebuild movies are directed from a very different Anno than from fifteen years ago.
I totally agree with you. I am a MASSIVE Eva geek, and have been ever since I first started watching the show in '96. But it's one of those things that's so close to me that I don't like talking about it online much... Anyway,, to me, the TV series and EoE are as close to perfection as I'm ever likely to see, with even the flaws somehow contributing to the greatness of the whole.

AND I LOVE THE NEW MOVIES. Both of them have been gorgeous, exciting, tender, and moving. Yes, stuff has been changed. Yes, stuff has been cut. Yes, stuff has been added. And of course, it doesn't compare to the first time I watched the series, where I really had NO idea what each episode would bring. And yeah...I miss the interactions between the some of the characters. But the TV show's still there; I can still pop in the DVDs whenever I like. I'm enjoying the feeling of being an Eva fan in "real time" again, not *quite* sure what's going to come next, and excited to see how this version of the story plays itself out.

And hey...it's a lot more interesting than Sadamoto's manga (which I like but don't love).

And at the VERY least, for the people who don't like the movies, even if the characters don't grab you the same way, even if you hate Mari, even if the truncated plot bugs you, you still get to see ridiculously overpowered Angels being taken down by ridiculously overpowered Evas...and, I don't know about you, but but that certainly makes ME feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 03:26   Link #1903
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
P.S. I'm an old hand EVA fan too, but I think arguing about how the movie compares to the series is a pointless exercise, as they're two different entities made of two different eras. Also, take note that the Rebuild movies are directed from a very different Anno than from fifteen years ago.
That's what i've been saying for a long time, though people will always compare even if it makes no sense to do just that. This is how people end up disappointed with the Rebuild films without even giving them a chance.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 03:31   Link #1904
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Spoiler for Spoiler:
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 04:19   Link #1905
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 27
just finished watching 2nd movie, hopefully it will be licensed by madman so i can purchase the copy in australia = /

It was great, i love it, the scenario changed quite a lot from the original but still engaging. And i still wonder about the existance of Mari myself.

Oh and manly shinji that i always wanted to see is here as well!, it felt like seeing Shinmon (shinji simon ttgl) when he went gar in the movie, dang!
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681 target=_blank>http://forums.animesuki.com/image.ph...ine=1223597681</a>
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 04:28   Link #1906
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I've been waiting fifteen years for my Happy Ending (or at the very least, something like X'amd, where we see everyone much older). C'mon Anno.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 04:39   Link #1907
Joachim
et tu, brute?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Perth WA
Age: 27
Same here my friend, same here, I still going with my believe that this version of eva is somewhat post third impact of the tv series, those flashbacks they throw around in the first and second movie are teasing me
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?u=67374&type=sigpic&dateline=1223597681 target=_blank>http://forums.animesuki.com/image.ph...ine=1223597681</a>
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 04:42   Link #1908
OMG_Zerg_Rush
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
just finished watching 2nd movie, hopefully it will be licensed by madman so i can purchase the copy in australia = /
Well the dub of 1.11 comes out next month on dvd and BLU by madman so im sure they have the second one as well
__________________
OMG_Zerg_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 05:59   Link #1909
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I personally quite liked Mari really I just wished she had been actually given some development...Other then the parachute incident only time you see her is when its combat time so she came off as more of a plot device less a full character...Holding hope for the next movie though.

Soundtrack is pure audio smex though as always...mmmm.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 07:03   Link #1910
Vegard Aune
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
And lookee, two new scenes. They're really minor though, and don't really add much to what I've already seen from Rebuild 2.0.
Out of curiosity, which scenes were they? I obviously never saw 2.0, being that I live in a country where anime is practically non-existent.

Anyway, I don't think I've mentioned what I actually thought about the movie, so...
OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!
...Well, the greatest anime-movie, anyway. And that's quite an achievement, considering how I didn't like the TV-series at all. But this movie fixed practically every single problem I had with the TV-series, while at the same time taking all the aspects I did like, and making them even better. I really couldn't be happier with how these movies have turned out so far, and it almost hurts to think about the fact that I'll probably have to wait for another two years before I can see the third part.
__________________
Thinking of stuff to put in a signature is hard...
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 07:04   Link #1911
bran
h e a d s h o t
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to bran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's what i've been saying for a long time, though people will always compare even if it makes no sense to do just that. This is how people end up disappointed with the Rebuild films without even giving them a chance.
Even if i don't compare Rebuild to the original as a stand alone it is nothing special compared to other anime these days.It's like a new school romance/comedy with some mecha action thrown in. It's just the next series that's gonna be watched and left to gather dust on the shelf - it's not something that lasts.
I guess Anno wanted to appeal to the general public which didin't like the original and apparently they have enough money to do it.
I still enjoy the new graphics though some scenes just look weird and some of the CG doesn't fit with the rest of the scenery much.
I also like the fact that Rebuild started being released 14 years after the original series - it's like real time Third impact.

And yes @Ashlotte the OST is really great - all new pieces Shiro Sagisu made for the Rebuild are great and don't sound inferior to his previous work on this anime.
__________________

Farewell...and thank you.
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 09:03   Link #1912
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I really couldn't be happier with how these movies have turned out so far, and it almost hurts to think about the fact that I'll probably have to wait for another two years before I can see the third part.


Definitely with you on this.

Bring on the third part.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 10:39   Link #1913
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
Even if i don't compare Rebuild to the original as a stand alone it is nothing special compared to other anime these days.It's like a new school romance/comedy with some mecha action thrown in. It's just the next series that's gonna be watched and left to gather dust on the shelf - it's not something that lasts.
Tell you what...let's meet back here in 2025 and see if you were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
I guess Anno wanted to appeal to the general public which didin't like the original and apparently they have enough money to do it.
Hmmm? Eva was hugely successful financially...tons of new merchandise has been coming out for it regularly since 1996...it's always high on anime polls... What gave you the feeling the "general public" didn't like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
And yes @Ashlotte the OST is really great - all new pieces Shiro Sagisu made for the Rebuild are great and don't sound inferior to his previous work on this anime.
Definitely.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 13:50   Link #1914
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
I'd find it hilarious if Rebuild had an ending like the Re-Take doujins: in that while its a happy ending, its still a confusing one. :S
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 15:00   Link #1915
RisArk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
No one likes Eva, and no one likes Rebuild.

Yep. Evangelion, alright.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 16:57   Link #1916
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Age: 22
I haven't seen the movie, so I'm waiting to pass any sort of judgement, but I have a few comments to make, especially so now that I rewatched the first rebuild last night to prepare myself for 2.0.

Most of the complaints from old eva fans are not simply "THEY CHANGED THE PLOT OMGZ." The complaints have more to do with the characters and their interactions.

So when they turn characters like Asuka into your typical Tsundere rather than the bitch we all knew and loved, it is disheartening... Why? Because Rebuild, while trying to attract a new audience, is geared mainly towards the fans of the original. They are banking on old fandom to catch on fire and make them money.

If they were not trying to do so, why call this series Evangelion? Look. I have no problem with a reimagining of the plot. But they should not destroy many of the elements that made Evangelion what it was. The pacing, the characters, the relationships...

The one thing I can forgive the movies for, is the awkward pacing. They have less time to fit in everything they want. But dear lord, do not change the characters. I'm bracing myself for moe Rei, Tsundere Asuka, pointless Mari, and Shinji-Lagann in this movie... As these seem to be the main complaints of old Evangelion fans... But at least the movies provide great eye candy for the angel battles... Zzzz/
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 18:14   Link #1917
nines
I much prefer the 2d
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Frontier
Age: 21
2.22 You can (not) advance.....what a weird ass movie that was <.< needs a ton more explanation in the next movie plus There was hardly any asuka in this
__________________
nines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 21:24   Link #1918
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Valencia, Venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So when they turn characters like Asuka into your typical Tsundere rather than the bitch we all knew and loved, it is disheartening... Why? Because Rebuild, while trying to attract a new audience, is geared mainly towards the fans of the original. They are banking on old fandom to catch on fire and make them money.

If they were not trying to do so, why call this series Evangelion? Look. I have no problem with a reimagining of the plot. But they should not destroy many of the elements that made Evangelion what it was. The pacing, the characters, the relationships...

The one thing I can forgive the movies for, is the awkward pacing. They have less time to fit in everything they want. But dear lord, do not change the characters. I'm bracing myself for moe Rei, Tsundere Asuka, pointless Mari, and Shinji-Lagann in this movie... As these seem to be the main complaints of old Evangelion fans... But at least the movies provide great eye candy for the angel battles... Zzzz/
I still can see enough of old Asuka in the new Asuka to like her all the same, and ditto for most of the original EVA feel. Really, people. She's about as far from original Asuka as the manga version is, even if in a somewhat different direction. That's all.

Mari shouldn't be judged as pointless before her role in the full picture is shown. At this point, we are at only half of the story; jumping the gun on these things is useless. So far, she has done enough to establish herself without stealing the spotlight away from the old guard; if she had been given more screentime, the same Unpleasable Fanbase who is now calling her pointless would be calling her Mary Sue instead.

And Shinji can't catch a break either. If GAR-needing fandom isn't calling him a wuss, then they are calling him a Simon copy.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 21:29   Link #1919
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Ironically I like the versions of the characters here more so than the original series.

Asuka for instance. I hated her previous incarnation. I could never sympathize with her, and she never really grew much either as a character as far as I'm concerned. Here at least, she grows, and eventually comes to terms with things. I can't wait to see where they take her next.

The other characters can have the same said of them. I actually found myself caring about the outcome of the final battle. I never cared about any of the characters in the first incarnation.

And as far as Mari is concerned, it's way too early to be judging her worth in the series at this point. Unless you all have time machines that I clearly do not have access too. It's clear that her presence is important because she's coming in from the outside covertly. If there wasn't a LOT more to be explored there I'd be legitimately surprised.

All in all though, these movies so far have done for me what the original couldn't: consistently entertain me, keep me on the edge of my seat, and even move me on occasion.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 22:12   Link #1920
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I'm old enough to be termed 'Old Guard', but I'm seriously not seeing what many of my compatriots are complaining about. Which is sad, since I never thought I'd see the day where the (English-speaking) EVA fandom would turn into something similar to No Mutants Allowed.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movie, remake

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.