AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 14:40   Link #1
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Odd playback on Oblivion Island - Blu-ray 1080p

I didn't know where I could post this and I didn't want to post it in someone else thread.

Last week I downloaded both versions of 'Oblivion Island'. Both .avi and .mkv. The problem is with the blu-ray file.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but for some reason the blu-ray version of this feature lags right around the beginning. The OP credits are fine, but as soon as it starts it stalls, continues with the audio and then jumps to the point where it should be. I tried running it with the updated VLC, which at times causes it to break up and stall completely. I've also tried it with the 2 players contained in the CCCP, zplayer and MP Classic. The same problem persists. It stalls when the narration starts putting the audio and video out of sync at that point. I haven't tested the full feature. Because I know how .mkv files are when you're jumping from one point to the next. And it's worst if you use a mac. I even re-downloaded the file again this morning and the problem is still present. So it's not me. However the .avi version works perfectly fine.

I'm using older model Toshiba Satellite A75-226 laptop (PC). I've haven't had much trouble with other file playbacks. So I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else had a problem or knows if there is any way to fix this if it's a playback issue. Or fault in the file itself when it was completed.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2010-05-08, 16:15   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
A 1080p BD rip isn't an easy thing to decode, pretty hard on CPU utilization. Open Task Manager while playing the offending encode and see if it's smacking up against 100% CPU utilization. If it is, that's your answer.
Old 2010-05-09, 18:47   Link #3
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
A 1080p BD rip isn't an easy thing to decode, pretty hard on CPU utilization. Open Task Manager while playing the offending encode and see if it's smacking up against 100% CPU utilization. If it is, that's your answer.
I did exactly what you told me and yeah it seems that's the case. It doesn't necessarily hit 100% but high enough. I noticed that when I have all applications closed and start the file, the processor churns like it's working overtime. The CPU utilization chart is erratic but if I shut the file down completely everything goes back to normal. Because there is no activity. I wonder if there is another way to test this. But if I can't get it to stream properly through any of the above players I mentioned then the file is no good. Seems 480p-720p is easier. At least the non-BD file works fine.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 2010-05-09, 22:05   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Remember that frame sizes grow quadratically with resolution (since what matters is an area). A single 1280x720 frame has 921,600 pixels. A 1920x1080 frame has 2,073,600, or an increase of 225%. Now throw in some high-quality audio, and you can see how your processor struggles more with a Blu-ray rip.

AVIs usually employ a less-efficient codec like XviD, so they pose less of a computational problem than the higher-quality but more compressed H.264 codec.

You could try a different player/codec combination, namely smplayer. It's entirely self-contained so it won't interfere with whatever other players and codecs you may already have installed. My guess is that it won't help, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. You could also check to see if Toshiba or ATI have a more recent driver for the Radeon card your machine appears to have.
Old 2010-05-10, 09:10   Link #5
chrno

Thanks again for the info.
I'm going to try the file again on my mother's iMac this weekend and see how it's processor handles it. Since I have VLC installed.

Old 2010-05-26, 09:38   Link #6
chrno

Tried it and it didn't work. Same glitch. Oh well...again thank again to everyone's input.