AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-24, 07:56   Link #81
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Ahhh Noda shoulda known he'd be the nooblet on dungeon raiding.
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Old 2010-05-24, 20:56   Link #82
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Is Yuri short-sight, or she just wear glasses in that ep 8 screen so she can looks vulnerable and sexy, alone inside that dark room?
I'd say she wears them to make an impression and look educated.
__________________
Himeji is offline  
Old 2010-05-24, 21:22   Link #83
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Or she wears them because computer displays always hurts the eyes.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).
Winter 2015: Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
(Absolute Duo, Seirei Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil still under consideration).


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline  
Old 2010-05-29, 21:39   Link #84
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Yuri is hated? This sure comes as a huge suprise for me... why? This kind of characters always seemed to be liked. Even I don't mind her considering that I never found any appeal in main characters. I actually find her quiet interesting, though also prefer Tenshi more.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-05-29, 22:23   Link #85
Knightrunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States--- California
Well, sometimes I have to thank the haters and doubters of Yuri because then fans can unit and tell how wonderful Yurippe is through logic and good reasoning. I'm glade episode 9 Yurippe blamed herself to keep the doubters quiet.
__________________
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6139/omk1.jpg
Credit to grylsygaeger
Knightrunner is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 00:10   Link #86
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Well, sometimes I have to thank the haters and doubters of Yuri because then fans can unit and tell how wonderful Yurippe is through logic and good reasoning. I'm glade episode 9 Yurippe blamed herself to keep the doubters quiet.
Haters: Oh shit Yuri just apologized, quick act scarce!
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 00:20   Link #87
satomianzaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
i think so too...yuri is not that bad after all...

she's actually feeling guilty about what happened to kanade...

and at the same time, thinking and preparing for counter-measures for the safety of SSS...as like what otonashi said, she is indeed a good leader...

satomianzaki is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 12:45   Link #88
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Not sure about you guys, but i wills surely miss Yuri for the most part by the end of Angel Beat.

I don't know myself, but she always surpass my expectation, especially how mature she actually turned out to be. Firstly was her observation in Kanede's Mapo Tofu screen. Then Naoi's joining the SSS, and Kanede's fishing invitation. Finally it was her participating in Kanede's rescue missions and Yuri concern over her.

For the past few years I do like many anime characters. But Yuri is probably one of the few that really earned my respect

PS:
Spoiler for Aren't they lovely:
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-30 at 12:59.
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 13:05   Link #89
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I don't know myself, but she always surpass my expectation, especially how mature she actually turned out to be. Firstly was her observation in Kanede's Mapo Tofu screen. Then Naoi's joining the SSS, and Kanede's fishing invitation. Finally it was her participating in Kanede's rescue missions and Yuri concern over her.
While I'm pretty much neutral on Yuri, I can't really say that I think her treatment of Kanade is one of her better points, honestly.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 13:19   Link #90
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Not sure about you guys, but i wills surely miss Yuri for the most part by the end of Angel Beat.

I like many anime characters. But Yuri really earned my respect
I agree with both, the way she is so much mature, shows good leadership, and concern for others, such as Otanashi to help him find his past, Tenshi's well being after episode 8, and not wanting to make GirlsDeMo suffer meaningless in episode 8 since clone could slaughter them in seconds, all of that really makes me respect Yuri. She's a great character, and I will miss her so at the end of the series.
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 13:20   Link #91
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
While I'm pretty much neutral on Yuri, I can't really say that I think her treatment of Kanade is one of her better points, honestly.
Well. I always think that all those "Angelbullies" things were fan-made since they probably think Kanede would be cuter if she looks vulnerable after being intimidated (my sadist self say so also...). So unless Kanede express her opinion, i will have to disagree there

Yuri actually treat Kanede quile well whenever it is personal matter (and in such cute rivaling way, i hate to say). But when it comes to responsibility or mission, well it was not like Kanede will treat Yuri lightly either.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 13:32   Link #92
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
While I'm pretty much neutral on Yuri, I can't really say that I think her treatment of Kanade is one of her better points, honestly.
Well you can't really blame her since Kanade looked like terminator for the biggest part. Yuri considered her not human being.

She did start to show concern and actually started to notice things about Kanade which others didn't except Otonashi. In the end after taking away Kanade's position she once again was the one who saw the difference in character and actually started to doubt her own actions. And she had almost no connection to Kanade while Otonashi started to learn more about her in closer way.

Yuri might not be the best character but she definetly stomps Haruhi in all possible way with whom she has similar looks.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:10   Link #93
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Yuri actually treat Kanede quile well whenever it is personal matter
I don't agree. Yuri never shows any real indication of facing what she's done to Kanade numerous times, on a personal level. She admits fault, but never apologizes, even in situations where her own miscalculations have caused Kanade no small amount of pain.

Yuri makes assumptions about Kanade and then sticks to them even when facts point in another direction. I know people that love Yuri like to excuse her faults with "well, how could she have known", but I think it's pretty clear that Yuri didn't WANT to know most of the time. Kanade might be retiring and hard to converse with, but she's also completely direct and honest when asked a question. Even from the very first episode, viewers were questioning Yuri's stance on "Tenshi", so it's hard to imagine someone as bright as Yuri didn't have the same misgivings. If she didn't, then she's sort of sociopathic. If she did, she's self centered enough that finding the truth didn't matter as much to her as taking out her anger on the nearest authority figure.

Even when our actions seem necessary, as they were in episode eight, there's absolutely nothing wrong or weak about feeling bad for the suffering they've caused someone and apologizing for it--even internally.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:17   Link #94
Haak
Watching Ookami Shoujo...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Just out of curiosity, how much of the prequels have you read?
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:19   Link #95
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much of the prequels have to read?
Me? All that's been "released". I haven't seen Japanese versions, so I haven't been able to read ahead.

To be honest, I think Yuri is more interesting and sympathetic in the prequels, but taking them into consideration, the amount she's escalated the conflict in the series proper makes her look pretty bad.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:25   Link #96
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I don't agree. Yuri never shows any real indication of facing what she's done to Kanade numerous times, on a personal level. She admits fault, but never apologizes, even in situations where her own miscalculations have caused Kanade no small amount of pain.

Yuri makes assumptions about Kanade and then sticks to them even when facts point in another direction. I know people that love Yuri like to excuse her faults with "well, how could she have known", but I think it's pretty clear that Yuri didn't WANT to know most of the time. Kanade might be retiring and hard to converse with, but she's also completely direct and honest when asked a question. Even from the very first episode, viewers were questioning Yuri's stance on "Tenshi", so it's hard to imagine someone as bright as Yuri didn't have the same misgivings. If she didn't, then she's sort of sociopathic. If she did, she's self centered enough that finding the truth didn't matter as much to her as taking out her anger on the nearest authority figure.

Even when our actions seem necessary, as they were in episode eight, there's absolutely nothing wrong or weak about feeling bad for the suffering they've caused someone and apologizing for it--even internally.
I don't remeber Otonashi apologizing either, they clearified everything but he never said sorry to Kanade for his actions unless I have memory lose.

Yuri made assumptions but she didn't stick to them. Watch properly, each time she was doubting her actions and coming to realize that Kanade is not God's creation. In the end when Kanade was removed from her position, she never bothered her again. Actually she wasn't sure if she should do the ticket trick at the end of the episode and later was the only one out of all team who actually agreed for Kanade to join the fishing when even Otonashi's fanboy who was following Kanade all this time was against.

She also was the one who organized a rescue team to help Kanade, no one asked her and forced her and later she was sorry.

Besides during fishing she still could have doubts towards Kanade, after all she didn't know her as well as Otonashi did.

And show is not over yet, there is plenty of time to say sorry still.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:40   Link #97
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I don't remeber Otonashi apologizing either, they clearified everything but he never said sorry to Kanade for his actions unless I have memory lose.
Otonashi reached out to her. Yuri didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Yuri made assumptions but she didn't stick to them. Watch properly, each time she was doubting her actions and coming to realize that Kanade is not God's creation.
The problem is, why didn't she realize it sooner? She's worked together with Kanade before and even had tea with her. I don't understand how after you've done that, you go back to an assumption of this person being inhuman and unfeeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Actually she wasn't sure if she should do the ticket trick at the end of the episode and later was the only one out of all team who actually agreed for Kanade to join the fishing when even Otonashi's fanboy who was following Kanade all this time was against.
She said for them to hold on a moment because Kanade was acting strangely, not because she was in the mindset of Kanade being "just like you or me". To be fair, Otonashi was also the same way when he had them cease fire. The difference is that when confronted with his own actions against Kanade, he felt remorse. Yuri felt upset that "Tenshi" wasn't the link to God that she had assumed she was.

And again, Yuri makes no overtures towards Kanade. She agrees after the request has been made to allow her to go fishing, but spends the entire time staring at her as though Kanade is suddenly going to start slaughtering them. That is not the sign of someone that has put aside their preconceived notions about Kanade and her humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
She also was the one who organized a rescue team to help Kanade, no one asked her and forced her and later she was sorry.
They had to get to Kanade in order to enact their plan to get rid of the clones. It wasn't purely altruistic out of the goodness of her own heart. Likewise, rewatch the scene at the beginning of episode nine. Yuri does NOT apologize for what she's done, and, in fact, when Otonashi sought to absolve her of blame, she agreed with him.

Then, when she goes back, it's clear that she's worried over the impact this will have on her group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And show is not over yet, there is plenty of time to say sorry still.
I don't think Yuri has to bow and prostrate herself and beg forgiveness from the Almighty Kanade or anything. I would just like to see a sign that she recognizes the basic humanity of people who don't necessarily share the same opinion that she does of the afterlife.

There are a lot of good things about Yuri. She is brave. She is decisive. She cares very deeply about her friends and works hard for their sake. I think she's basically a good, but broken person.

Again, it's just that her treatment of Kanade is NOT one of the things I am inclined to give her credit for.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 14:55   Link #98
Yzori
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
To be honest, I think Yuri is more interesting and sympathetic in the prequels, but taking them into consideration, the amount she's escalated the conflict in the series proper makes her look pretty bad.
I think it's harsh to rate her on the screentime she has gotten so far. Up till now her character development really hasn't improved that much. Furthermore, she received less screentime than the other main characters did. That disappoints me though, her character really haves a lot of potential.

This anime has been largely focused on Otonashi and Kanade so far, so it's not that weird people prefer Kanade over Yuri, or have hate feelings regarding Yuri. For me, but that's just personal, Yuri is the most interesting character -- especially how she decides to handle different circumstances, I think she has really proven to be a great leader.

I suppose people tend to jump the gun on this one, Kanade is soo moe and innocent! She surely doesn't deserved the angel bullying. (who could possibly hate her?!) Let's blame Yuri. Fine, but it doesn't work for me. Oh well, people have favourites characters. In this case Yuri gets the shaft, I feel sorry for her. (I like Kanade just as much as Yuri, so I am not hating on her! )
Yzori is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 15:09   Link #99
Knightrunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States--- California
How can anybody doubt yurippe and kanade treatment after seeing this pic?

Spoiler for saving space:


Yurippe can't apologize now to Kanade since she plays the villain role again even if she wanted too. Besides what is there to apologize for when there really isn't a fault? Tenshi doesn't nessarily hold back her punches either especially the knife battle in episode 2 and I don't see anybody apologizing to anybody.

During the fishing trip, it is hard to get along buddy-chum type when you have been fighting that person since the start of this world so I can't condemn Yurippe for observing Tenshi actions.
__________________
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6139/omk1.jpg
Credit to grylsygaeger
Knightrunner is offline  
Old 2010-05-30, 15:19   Link #100
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Otonashi reached out to her. Yuri didn't.
Because he actually talked to her and saw what she is like. And the only reason why that happened is because Yuri gave him such role which pushed him closer to Kanade. So basicly the only reason why Otonashi is helping Kanade is because of Yuri.

Quote:
The problem is, why didn't she realize it sooner? She's worked together with Kanade before and even had tea with her. I don't understand how after you've done that, you go back to an assumption of this person being inhuman and unfeeling.
Duno about tea drinking, never saw that scene so have no idea how it went. But Kanade acts mostly robotic like so it is hard to tell what she might think sometimes.
Also the clear look on Kande and her emotions became clear after she was removed from her position. It is basicly the only time when you see her act more human like. Even Otonashi comes closer to her after that and Yuri also never bothere Kanade from that moment.

Quote:
She said for them to hold on a moment because Kanade was acting strangely, not because she was in the mindset of Kanade being "just like you or me". To be fair, Otonashi was also the same way when he had them cease fire. The difference is that when confronted with his own actions against Kanade, he felt remorse. Yuri felt upset that "Tenshi" wasn't the link to God that she had assumed she was.
Yet she did notice the difference while others didn't.
In comparison to Otonashi she has memories and not the best ones. If Otonashi went through same thing, he also would have been different.

Quote:
And again, Yuri makes no overtures towards Kanade. She agrees after the request has been made to allow her to go fishing, but spends the entire time staring at her as though Kanade is suddenly going to start slaughtering them. That is not the sign of someone that has put aside their preconceived notions about Kanade and her humanity.
And why shouldn't she be worried?
Firstly she is a team leader so making sure that everyone are alright is leaders first priority. Secondly once again she doesn't know Kanade, not the way Otonashi does. Thirdly her being suspicious did pay off since clone had appeared.

Quote:
They had to get to Kanade in order to enact their plan to get rid of the clones. It wasn't purely altruistic out of the goodness of her own heart. Likewise, rewatch the scene at the beginning of episode nine. Yuri does NOT apologize for what she's done, and, in fact, when Otonashi sought to absolve her of blame, she agreed with him.

Then, when she goes back, it's clear that she's worried over the impact this will have on her group.
And how do you know? She clearly could cover up her feelings by making it look like getting rid of clones.

I think you are mixing up two different situations here. It is clear that she is sorry for what happened to Kanade and what Otonashi said was true so I don't see a reason for her to deny it.

And it is completly reasonable to be worried about which side will wake up, because basicly if it is wrong one she will be at fault before Kanade again. Besides what stops her from being worried about both things at once?

Kanade herself was worried about which consiousness would awaken.

Quote:
I don't think Yuri has to bow and prostrate herself and beg forgiveness from the Almighty Kanade or anything. I would just like to see a sign that she recognizes the basic humanity of people who don't necessarily share the same opinion that she does of the afterlife.
She doesn't force anyone to follow her, she told her assumptions and it was up to everyone to follow her or not.


And just to remind you, I prefer Kanade much more over Yuri so I'm not favoring here.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.