AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-01, 16:31   Link #41
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post

That's because he was so damn good at it
There would be an actual reason to complain though.(Or at least a some what better reason than the racist Avatar fans have) The character's nickname was 'Red' because he had red hair.

Morgan Freeman looked nothing like Red from the book, but nobody had a problem with it, where as that little kid looks very similar to Aang and people are throwing bitch fits. It all has to do with the fact that a white kid is playing the part.

If asians don't want white people to play their anime characters in movies, then they shouldn't draw their characters with white people eyes. I can totally see people complaining in the future if a Naruto movie is ever made, because even though he has blonde hair and blue eyes, he is obviously totally Japanese right?
Old 2010-06-01, 17:39   Link #42
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
If asians don't want white people to play their anime characters in movies, then they shouldn't draw their characters with white people eyes. I can totally see people complaining in the future if a Naruto movie is ever made, because even though he has blonde hair and blue eyes, he is obviously totally Japanese right?
Well, here's the thing. If we're talking about Aang, I agree with you. It's an overreaction. The kid looks like Aang. It's a fantasy world with imaginary races. No problem.

But the argument that has a bit more weight is...what about Katara and Sokka, the other leads? In the series, they are portrayed clearly as darker-skinned characters, possibly native American. However, in the film, white actors were cast in their roles. These actors don't resemble the show's characters at all. This is more jarring.

When you combine this fact along with the whitening of Aang, then the whole thing becomes a little tougher to swallow. What you have to remember is that having characters of "colour" as leads in an American show meant quite a bit to a lot of children. To see them recast as white characters is like a slap in the face. It's true that Red was Irish in the book. But having Morgan Freeman play him was no real drastic change - he played him well, and there wasn't really much significance to the character's race. In a show like Avatar, the fact that there were "minority" characters playing the heroes meant something to people.

Now, like I said, I'm on the fence between these two positions. But you can't dismiss it so easily.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 18:29   Link #43
Gin
*Artist

I've only heard people complaining about Aang so I was only addressing that part. One of the points I was trying to make about Morgan Freeman in Shawshank was that he did a good job and proved that race shouldn't define a character. People should give the actors a chance before criticizing them just because of the color of their skin.
Old 2010-06-01, 19:04   Link #44
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
0utf0xZer0 did link this article earlier, which I think is pretty relevant. As for hair and eye color, if you're going to say that having blonde hair and blue eyes makes Naruto Caucasian, then what does that make the girl with pink hair and teal eyes? An alien? I'm sorry but I can never take the hair and eye color argument seriously when it comes to anime.
Old 2010-06-01, 19:28   Link #45
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
Actors complaining about races?*
O.o
Anyways, imo -- 0 against 'black' people, but I would rather have a 'white' person play the Joker.
Regardless of the 'black' man's talent.
Indeed.
Art = Integrity and self expression.
Integrity = adherence to principles.
If the a female character is 'black'...It should be portrayed, by a 'black' actress.
Not doing so, would be inartistic, ala 'integrity.'
Inartistic =/= right[for me].
You would think they would be able to get ^that, but I guess not...Word.
Old 2010-06-01, 21:02   Link #46
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Keller View Post
Art = Integrity and self expression.
Integrity = adherence to principles.
When it comes to a fictional, bizzare character like the Joker, I see very minimal relevance between his race and his character. I cannot see why a choice of ethnicity that has zero relevance to the character is a matter of artistic integrity, nor will I ever understand how or why it would trump talent in importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin
I've only heard people complaining about Aang so I was only addressing that part. One of the points I was trying to make about Morgan Freeman in Shawshank was that he did a good job and proved that race shouldn't define a character. People should give the actors a chance before criticizing them just because of the color of their skin.
Indeed, I agree with you in principle (as I stated above). However the Avatar story is a little more complex as I am discovering more and more.

It is certainly a little suspicious when every single hero character has had their skin whitened or eyes widened, with the only "foreign"-looking characters (such as Dev Patel as Zuko) occupying villain roles.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-06-01 at 21:17.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote