AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-05, 12:06   Link #7681
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
That should be in the funny news thread, as I got a good laugh at that.
It's nature's way of telling him 'no kids please' xD
Hah. I also wonder if they had cleaned up that last quote on "I shot myself in the groin" too. Carrying a loaded weapon that was being held on him using a pair of sweatpants *and* with a round chambered? Geez.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 15:06   Link #7682
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Hah. I also wonder if they had cleaned up that last quote on "I shot myself in the groin" too. Carrying a loaded weapon that was being held on him using a pair of sweatpants *and* with a round chambered? Geez.
I though Glock pistols have a anti-misfire mechanism within themselves, so even if the gun is thrown on the floor, it doesn't fire due to the firing pin's unique position as compared to other pistols.

Unless the guy kept his finger on the trigger or didn't perform proper gun maintenance, there isn't anyway he could have put a round out of the gun due to its internal mechanism. The gun he carried was a .45 version of the Glock 17, and if I am not wrong, the mechanism is already implemented in that series of pistols.

And yes, pistols are like princesses, notoriously high maintenance.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 17:50   Link #7683
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Man shoots self in testicles, causing fear, silence

Others might wonder why he needed to carry a loaded gun into a hardware store.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting04m.html
Generally, once you have it on, you leave it there all day (i.e. "concealed").

I'm trying to figure out how he managed to set it off and what the hell kind of carry method he was using... surely a Darwin moment.
edit: He was using a Glock 30 which has the safety built into the trigger. They're great guns because there's no way for them to go off AS LONG AS YOU DON"T HAVE YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, IDIOT!!!

Quote:
"It's not the brightest way to carry it. Sweatpants are loose and not held against your body by a belt," said Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week and author of "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities."
Its about the DUMBEST way to carry one. And besides, sweatpants should be considered illegal anyway as blasphemy to the gods

Its like reading about idiots having a gun go off "while cleaning it". There's literally no way for a gun to go off while cleaning it ... because to clean it, you unload it. If you haven't unloaded it, then you've just tagged yourself as "too stupid to breathe".

We'll hope like hell they don't let him around power tools or chainsaws either...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 20:28   Link #7684
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Generally, once you have it on, you leave it there all day (i.e. "concealed").

I'm trying to figure out how he managed to set it off and what the hell kind of carry method he was using... surely a Darwin moment.
edit: He was using a Glock 30 which has the safety built into the trigger. They're great guns because there's no way for them to go off AS LONG AS YOU DON"T HAVE YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, IDIOT!!!
Yeah, they even had a "bragging video" on youtube (like HK when they advertised the HK416) on how the their safeties (they have 3 internals), even with a round in the chamber, it is difficult to have an accidental discharge.

Quote:
Its about the DUMBEST way to carry one. And besides, sweatpants should be considered illegal anyway as blasphemy to the gods
Spoiler for You are wrong.:


Quote:
Its like reading about idiots having a gun go off "while cleaning it". There's literally no way for a gun to go off while cleaning it ... because to clean it, you unload it. If you haven't unloaded it, then you've just tagged yourself as "too stupid to breathe".

We'll hope like hell they don't let him around power tools or chainsaws either...
Loose clothing are fine though even if they don't keep close to your body...pistol hostlers are like that*. Though there is always that "finger outside trigger guard" user-defined safety when handling firearms.

Either way, it beats me how he manage to get an accidental discharge from the other gun below his main gun. Probably something stupid like imitating medium alert protocols in security enforcement.

* - What is worse, some old security enforcement hostlers (probably from the 70s and 80s) had a stun-baton RIGHT BESIDE the hostler....an electrical short circuit might put a 9mm into your knee. Scary.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 21:40   Link #7685
yoropa
Director
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
When I heard that testicle-shooting story, I couldn't help but think about a similar, older news story. Anybody remember when Plaxico had this happen to him, but in his leg? Good times...
__________________
I question, and get an answer. I question the answer, and get anger. I question the anger, but nothing more is left.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 21:49   Link #7686
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Man shoots self in testicles, causing fear, silence

Others might wonder why he needed to carry a loaded gun into a hardware store.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting04m.html
Fortunately my 1911 has multiple safeties so the chance of something like this happening to me is 0%.

Some people are just too stupid to carry a loaded firearm responsibly.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 22:48   Link #7687
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Some people are just too stupid to carry a loaded firearm responsibly.
Probably the best argument against the right for (almost) everyone to own a firearm.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:12   Link #7688
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Probably the best argument against the right for (almost) everyone to own a firearm.
As long as you include the police, military, and criminals in that "everyone", I'd be fine with that. Of course, I've had some training in sword work

Stupid people have found ways to off themselves and other people for millions of years.

However, I'm all for requiring *training* on proper use and handling. This may sound astounding to young people but in the US, it was *normal* for high schools to have rifle and pistol shooting teams in the 1970s. People routinely parked at school with firearms to go hunting or to the range after class. Many kids learned firearms skills in various youth organizations. There was no mystery, no morbid fascination, no irrational fear ... and far fewer accidents and shootings than today.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-06-05 at 23:23.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:15   Link #7689
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I really want to say "The only ones who should shoot are those that are prepared to be shot" but....

That is irony. Because the fool ends up shooting himself. On accident.

He can still testify in court right?


Quote:
Others might wonder why he needed to carry a loaded gun into a hardware store.
...Safety first.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:21   Link #7690
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As long as you include the police, military, and criminals in that "everyone", I'd be fine with that. Of course, I've had some training in sword work

Stupid people have found ways to off themselves and other people for millions of years.
As much as people like to handle guns, firearms aren't toys. I do remember that back in the army, we were told to take care of our rifles like our wives, and follow the general rules of :

Spoiler for slightly NSFW:


Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Fortunately my 1911 has multiple safeties so the chance of something like this happening to me is 0%.

Some people are just too stupid to carry a loaded firearm responsibly.
I thought the 1911 is a rather old model which doesn't have as many safeties as modern pistols.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:22   Link #7691
Lost Cause
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Fortunately my 1911 has multiple safeties so the chance of something like this happening to me is 0%.

Some people are just too stupid to carry a loaded firearm responsibly.
+1 on the 1911 justinstrife! I took a course at Gunsite in Arizona. They taught me how to carry it in condition 1!
But stupid people shouldn't carry! It makes the rest of us look bad!
__________________

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:32   Link #7692
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Probably the best argument against the right for (almost) everyone to own a firearm.
Umm no. Some people are too stupid to drive too. Should we ban cars? Some people are too stupid to use a stove in a kitchen. Or use a knife at the dinner table. Some people are too stupid to have kids. Hold a job. etc, etc. Sorry but what I said is not an argument against gun ownership. And gun ownership is a right in America, and I hope that never changes. I know I will never surrender my ownership of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought the 1911 is a rather old model which doesn't have as many safeties as modern pistols.
My 1911 has several safeties. Not only your typical thumb safety(mine has one on each side as I went for the ambidextrous safety option), as well as the typical grip safety(you have to be gripping the gun for the trigger to be usable), as well as the standard trigger safety. It's also not a double action, so if the hammer is not cocked back, it won't strike the firing pin. There is 0% chance of me shooting myself accidentally with that firearm. I carry with one in the chamber whenever I'm at my dad's horse ranch, and whenever I'm in Az. And even though the 1911 is a hundred years old, it is a proven design that has only been improved on. It's also the most popular handgun here in America. Even over the Glock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
+1 on the 1911 justinstrife! I took a course at Gunsite in Arizona. They taught me how to carry it in condition 1!
But stupid people shouldn't carry! It makes the rest of us look bad!


I love my Springfield 1911A1 loaded. It's more accurate than I am, though I'm always working at that.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:49   Link #7693
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Umm no. Some people are too stupid to drive too. Should we ban cars? Some people are too stupid to use a stove in a kitchen. Or use a knife at the dinner table. Some people are too stupid to have kids. Hold a job. etc, etc. Sorry but what I said is not an argument against gun ownership. And gun ownership is a right in America, and I hope that never changes. I know I will never surrender my ownership of them.
Like having kids or a wife, firearm responsibility is tough to handle. And yes, some people simply can't learn how to handle them.

Quote:
My 1911 has several safeties. Not only your typical thumb safety(mine has one on each side as I went for the ambidextrous safety option), as well as the typical grip safety(you have to be gripping the gun for the trigger to be usable), as well as the standard trigger safety. It's also not a double action, so if the hammer is not cocked back, it won't strike the firing pin. There is 0% chance of me shooting myself accidentally with that firearm. I carry with one in the chamber whenever I'm at my dad's horse ranch, and whenever I'm in Az. And even though the 1911 is a hundred years old, it is a proven design that has only been improved on. It's also the most popular handgun here in America. Even over the Glock.
I have only handled a 9mm pistol before, but it is rather bulky in my small hands. What I know is that despite having a lower muzzle velocity, the .45 has a much efficient and higher stopping power, and almost similar recoil.

And now for some interesting news over at sankaku (NSFW) that regular news agencies don't report :

Greenpeace Attacker Harpooned by Fishermen

Quote:
A Greenpeace member was “harpooned” by fishermen after the group began to attack their nets.

Several small Greenpeace vessels approached a French fishing vessel in Mediterranean waters, and began attacking its nets in an effort to release its catch of tuna.

In response to this assault, the fishermen reportedly rammed one vessel and slashed at others, sinking their inflatable craft, and fired flares at a Greenpeace helicopter dispatched to observe the attack.

Another fisherman swung what is variously described as a “grappling hook,” “boat hook” (fishermen’s version) or “harpoon” (Greenpeace’s version) at one of the assailants, skewering his leg.

Greenpeace filmed the incident:

The Greenpeace member, a UK citizen, was taken to Malta for treatment – although he suffered a severe wound, his condition is not said to be life-threatening.

Maltese fishing industry groups are livid over the attacks, saying Greenpeace “sought confrontation, and got the confrontation they wanted,” and that Greenpeace “alone bear the blame for the consequences of yesterday’s incidents.”

The French national fisheries body concurred, saying the fishermen “were attacked by helmeted Greenpeace activists, equipped for and engaged in a violent operation – the destruction of a work tool” and that Greenpeace “assumes the right to attack fishermen out at sea.”

The fishermen have requested French naval protection, saying they fear future attacks by eco-terrorists intent on gaining publicity and donations at the expense of their livelihoods, and pointing out that in addition to quotas they have only two weeks in which to land their catch, making their time very precious.

Sea Shepherd have also previously vowed to attack their vessels, so their concerns do not appear unreasonable.

Greenpeace describe their attacks on fishermen as “peaceful direct action”:

Quote:
“What has happened here this afternoon in the water around us is that the commercial interest has won out over the need to preserve the species and that is why Greenpeace took peaceful direct action today.”
Tuna stocks are widely considered to be under pressure, but efforts to ban the trade have unsurprisingly been unsuccessful – tuna are one of the most economically important catches in the world, worth many billions of dollars annually.

The French vessel’s fishing was thus entirely lawful, and reportedly monitored by an observer in order to ensure they did not exceed their quota.

Possibly environmentalist groups had grown accustomed to the kind of supine response Japanese fishermen exhibited to much more pernicious attacks, not reckoning with the ardour of men set on protecting their livelihood in what remains one of the world’s most perilous occupations.
It is a mooring hook to hook hold the boat to reefs and beaches, not a damn harpoon. Despite being boat operators, these Greenpeace people have certainly proven that they not only lack common logic, but simple nautical knowledge too.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 23:57   Link #7694
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Probably the best argument against the right for (almost) everyone to own a firearm.
actually it is the opposite, since it helps improve the gene pool.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 00:16   Link #7695
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Umm no. Some people are too stupid to drive too. Should we ban cars?
Wait. Look what Ganbaru actually said. It wasn't that guns should be outlawed for everybody, just that some people should not be allowed to use them. Those people who have proven themselves too stupid to drive should absolutely have their right to drive taken away. This does happen when people are repeatedly caught driving drunk.

Note, the "(almost) everyone" crack is more a comment on how many stupid people there are than a universal ban on firearms.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 01:12   Link #7696
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Like having kids or a wife, firearm responsibility is tough to handle. And yes, some people simply can't learn how to handle them.



I have only handled a 9mm pistol before, but it is rather bulky in my small hands. What I know is that despite having a lower muzzle velocity, the .45 has a much efficient and higher stopping power, and almost similar recoil.

And now for some interesting news over at sankaku (NSFW) that regular news agencies don't report :

Greenpeace Attacker Harpooned by Fishermen



It is a mooring hook to hook hold the boat to reefs and beaches, not a damn harpoon. Despite being boat operators, these Greenpeace people have certainly proven that they not only lack common logic, but simple nautical knowledge too.
2chs response:
Quote:
“They did well!”

“As expected, the white man is merciless – a feat no Japanese could manage.”

“Japanese fishermen ought to do this!”

“Greenpeas: ‘Perhaps we should keep targetting Japan after all.’”

“They got too cocky dealing with the Japanese…”

“They’re aiming to destroy their livelihood – it’s no wonder that happened.”

“It’s a miracle they got away alive.”

“They’ll go back to attacking Japan after that.”

“You might as well expect to walk into a factory and stop the production line.”

“It’s just whites attacking each other so nobody really cares, but if it were Japanese doing this to whites it would be an international issue.”

“Those fish are worth thousands of dollars each, so it’s no surprise they were furious.”
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 01:35   Link #7697
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
I couldn't find the article online, so I took the effort of scanning these in.



The original event ran like this :

Kallang attacks: Five nabbed by police, hunt on for two others

Quote:
SINGAPORE - A gang of seven is responsible for the recent spate of attacks in the Kallang area on Sunday, which left one man dead and others seriously injured.

The police said yesterday three Malaysians have been arrested in connection with the "vicious and violent" attacks. Aged between 21 and 26, they were nabbed near Syed Alwi Road between 6pm and 10pm on Monday. All three, from Sarawak, were general workers living in a dormitory in the Jalan Besar area. Late last night two more male suspects were arrested, aged 20 and 22 years. Of the two, one of them is believed to be involved in the murder case at Kallang. They were detained as they entered Singapore at the Woodlands Checkpoint.

Two other suspects are still at large but Criminal Investigation Department director Ng Boon Gay has vowed to "go all out" to hunt them down. "We will get them," senior assistant commissioner (SAC) Ng said.

Investigators are still determining if the suspects were involved in any previous cases of robbery with hurt.

When asked about residents' concerns on not being informed of the attacks soon after they occurred on Sunday, SAC Ng pointed out the suspects were arrested the very next day. Three robberies with hurt were reported in the Sims Drive and Geylang area between midnight and 7am on Sunday. Then at 7.30am, construction worker Shanmuganathan Dillidurai, 41, was found dead in an open field next to a condominium near Kallang MRT station.

After establishing a pattern - based on the mode of operation, the timing and the close proximity of the incidents - police "did not rule out the possibility" that the incidents "may have been committed by the same perpetrators". More than 100 police officers were deployed in an intensive operation across the island.

The attacks had been random in nature; the attackers did not utter a word and set upon their victims violently before taking the items. This meant officers had to carry out extensive interviews and gather intelligence reports. The victims were robbed of around $400 and three handphones. Two handphones have since been recovered following the arrests. The five suspects will be charged in court with murder and armed robbery with hurt, and face the death penalty if convicted of murder.
The victims are pitiful. They came over here to make a living and to send their kids back in India to university, and this kind of things had to happen. I am not blaming the local police and their conscripts (Home Team NS, not every 18 y.o goes to the army), because they did their work and foot patrols, it's just the fact that the robbers would target these innocent people with such brutality is just plain unforgiving. That national serviceman too : it isn't easy to be selected for a prestigious unit.

What some of the locals did really pissed me off is that they complained about our police's "ineffectiveness" when this is a RANDOM attack, no matter how premediated it may be, so there is a lack of intelligence (yeah, on the citizens' side too, however a different type of intelligence). Also, the police took less than 2 days to hunt these robbers down, which isn't easy since they might have already escaped back across the straits, so give them some goddamned f***king credit.

Kudos to the SPF (Singapore Police Force) for the excellent work not only at nabbing these robbers, but also taking extra effort at breathing extra heavily down their necks too (they mobilised a LARGE PART of the Special Operations Command - the internal security unit which is only activated in case of terrorism, riots, and anything major threatening internal security). Now the biggest problem will be political : since these nuts are Malaysians, charging them with death penalty (which is rightly deserved) might cause a hoo-ha across the straits.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-06-06 at 01:45.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 02:07   Link #7698
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Like having kids or a wife, firearm responsibility is tough to handle. And yes, some people simply can't learn how to handle them.



I have only handled a 9mm pistol before, but it is rather bulky in my small hands. What I know is that despite having a lower muzzle velocity, the .45 has a much efficient and higher stopping power, and almost similar recoil.

And now for some interesting news over at sankaku (NSFW) that regular news agencies don't report :

Greenpeace Attacker Harpooned by Fishermen


It is a mooring hook to hook hold the boat to reefs and beaches, not a damn harpoon. Despite being boat operators, these Greenpeace people have certainly proven that they not only lack common logic, but simple nautical knowledge too.
Harpooned, Hooked, Speared, whatever, I wouldn't want to have that happen to me.

Oh and how bulky a weapon is, is testament more to it's design. The 1911 by nature has a very slim profile, and the ammunition is in a single stack magazine, unlike many 9mm's which often are double stacked(and thicker because of it). I don't have very big hands either, so big bulky guns aren't comfortable or practical for me.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 05:03   Link #7699
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Thank Joojoobees for understanding what I writed. Incompetents/dangerous firearm owners ( as incompetent car owners) can be a danger for themself but most importantly for others around them. If they would only remove themself from the gene pool ( as Xellos- said) or worse, not much peoples would complain; the problem is tha thoses peoplees tend to be a hazard for the bystanders around them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
''Peacefull direct action'' my ass ( sorry for the language) .
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 06:35   Link #7700
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As long as you include the police, military, and criminals in that "everyone", I'd be fine with that. Of course, I've had some training in sword work

Stupid people have found ways to off themselves and other people for millions of years.

However, I'm all for requiring *training* on proper use and handling. This may sound astounding to young people but in the US, it was *normal* for high schools to have rifle and pistol shooting teams in the 1970s. People routinely parked at school with firearms to go hunting or to the range after class. Many kids learned firearms skills in various youth organizations. There was no mystery, no morbid fascination, no irrational fear ... and far fewer accidents and shootings than today.
I wholeheartedly agree, especially since the situation used to be similar in my country (and is still to a limited extent).
Shooting is the closest thing we have to a national sport, and shooting ranges with their multiples association dot the countryside. Now it is seen only as a minor sport, especially among urban youngsters. But during my father's young days, it wasn't uncommon for a 14 years old to ride back home from practice, with a standard military issue rifle on his back.
I myself practiced in one of those association, albeit not to the point where I had my rifle entrusted to me to take it back home (but I have the one I received during boot camp), and after this, all I can say is that all those peoples who shoot themselves while carrying or cleaning a gun are damn stupid. For the most basic reflex we were taught was to always check whether there's a bullet engaged or not (and when there is one, always check were we point the barrel).
__________________
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.