AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-06, 14:32   Link #141
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Could mean that Yuri would of never lost her siblings, Otonashi would of never lost his sister, got in a train accident.
Simply from a character-end perspective, those two are not the major obstacles for the coma theory, nor Yui. So far, it's Iwasawa who's gonna need the most help. So yea, her conditions HAVE to get better in some way or the coma end won't be acceptable.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2010-06-06 at 15:08.
maplehurry is offline  
Old 2010-06-06, 15:10   Link #142
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Simply from a character-end perspective, those two are not the major obstacles for the coma theory, nor Yui. So far, it's Iwasawa who's gonna need the most help. So yea, her conditions HAVE to get better in some way or the coma end won't be acceptable.
That wasn't me talking about a coma theory, this is more them getting a second life after they die, so rather than dissapearing into nothingness, they dissapear back to the real world where they didn't suffer and lived normal lives. I'd really like that ending because it'd mean everyone could meet again at some point.
Qikz is offline  
Old 2010-06-06, 15:39   Link #143
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Oh, I see.
maplehurry is offline  
Old 2010-06-06, 15:47   Link #144
bigdeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
i think if that was the case then Yui wouldn't have asked Hinata to help her. Maybe Yui was undergoing experimental treatment that might allow her to move again but took badly to the medicines and fell into a coma. Then we'll see at the end that she awoke and maybe eventually it works and we see Hinata helping her to go through all the rehab.
Ha, that would be a bit to good an ending to hope for I think.


I wonder what will happen to angel when all is said and done. Will she finally move on herself or is she really an angel to help people move on.
__________________
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/bigdeath111/madokamagicasig.jpg
bigdeath is offline  
Old 2010-06-07, 04:24   Link #145
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 24
I think Tenshi is just an ordinary girl (Who's more than likely a programmer in the real world), who just wants to help people personally.
Qikz is offline  
Old 2010-06-08, 14:37   Link #146
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I hope none of you guys mind us hijacking this thread with our Towers of Text?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Calm down. First of all, how do you define "being caught in the moment"? For my definition, it's basically some form of engrossment caused by some form of emotion or pressure invoked by external stimuli. It implies that the activity/stimulus "caught" you, and results in actions that were either not planned or were being previously actively avoided. For example:
  • I didn't intend to drink in the party, but I got caught in the moment and drank anyway.
  • My tank is empty because I got so caught up in the race that I forgot to refuel my tank.
As far as i can see, I’m going by your definition.

Quote:
All the evidence that you ignored. See the following:

Why not? Wasn't that the reason why they were playing baseball in the first place -- to train while messing up the tournament and beat Kanade's team when she interferes?
Why should we ignore the implication of not wanting to disappear when Hinata nervously denies his disappearance?


I already told you. He clearly identified it was a serious situation and something as silly as wanting to win the game shouldn't override the fact that if he doesn't want to disappear so much then he should've played it safe and dropped out.
I already told you. I’m not after an implication. I’m asking for evidence that suggests it’s your way rather than mine.

Quote:
If I complete this task, then I can leave this world, and be reincarnated. That's what Yurippe said.
Is that really true?
If that's the case, shouldn't I pour myself body and soul into this task?
But I wasn't too clear on the method.
At this moment, I suddenly thought of something.
Isn't there an angel? If she is an emissary of God, then her duty must be to safeguard the purpose of this world, right? If I just go ask that person it'll be fine.
And what does this prove that I don’t already know? I already knew that Hinata was with the SSS. Then it stands to reason that Hinata wouldn’t want to disappear because if he did he wouldn’t be in the SSS anymore and would've gone over to Kanade already. I don’t need to read chapter 3 to know that. That was a freaking given. My point is that Hinata wanting to catch the ball was his ‘true self’. It’s possible to have contradictory desires you know. And it’s possible to live by one desire, but, in the heat of the moment, choose the contradicting desire when ‘caught in the moment’.

Quote:
Yes, even she was surprised. And, hoho, if I knew what to expect, I wouldn't be surprised. See Kanade's reaction.
So it’s wrong then. They were surprised because they saw someone disappear right in the front of them. Totally unfair to saying Yuri should also be surprised when she didn’t have that luxury.

Kanade never reacts to anything. She was shot in the freaking stomach and didn't react. She didn't look surprised when evil Tenshi appeared. And you can't use Evil Kanade as an example. That's evil Kanade. She was also evil (which Kanade wasn't). It takes a lot to make Kanade react (like her losing her meal ticket for her favourite food)

Quote:
And Takamatsu (I mixed up his and Fujimaki's names). Also, "casually remarking" =/= indifference. She didn't rage over it, she didn't sob over it, but she was also not indifferent. However, she didn't see it as of utmost importance. Also, why should cinematic timing or w/e affect the characters' in-universe emotions/priorities? It should be the other way around.
My point still stands. The guys weren’t that surprised.
She did express emotion, though, which is contrary to your point. Just look at her and how she talks. She’s very pensive about it.
Perhaps but I don’t think they factor in anyone who takes it too seriously than it ought to be.

Quote:
Students are complaining about the teacher's intervention (urging the band to play again), and the teachers are messing with their instruments while pinning her down. When the teacher suggested that her acoustic guitar will be thrown away, she snapped, overpowered her captors, and took the guitar. This is an example of being caught in the moment because the situation basically forced her action. She didn't try very hard to overpower her captors before, only now. Was she forced to sing after she got her guitar? Nope. Was she herself against playing My Song in the first place? Nope. Judging by Hisako's reaction (moving up to the AV control room instead of helping Iwasawa escape), they planned that last act.
But I thought you said that once you’re caught in the moment, you’re already prey to this stimulator thingy? In that case she was forced to sing.

Quote:
Now, are you saying that she got too caught up in her song that she forgot she was gonna disappear? Perhaps, but I don't think so. Why? Because she didn't show any hesitation whatsoever. She didn't even think of disappearing. To be caught in the moment, you need to actively know what you're trying to avoid/prevent before you get engrossed in the activity. Was Iwasawa actively trying to not disappear? Nope. Was she even against disappearance? Hard to tell.
Well obviously. If she forgot she would disappear then ofcourse she's not gonna show any hesitiation or even think of disappearing.

My point at the start was that Iwasawa's and Hinata's case were incomparable because Hinata had the luxruy of knowing beforehand, the situation whilst Iwasawa did not.
You say that can't be since she sang that song for ages and must've known at some point.
I said that was because she was 'caught in the moment'
You're saying if she was caught in the moment she would've been actively avoiding disappearing.
But that's the thing: She could only actively avoid disappearing if she knew the situation beforehand, which is what you're trying to prove.

You're using the wrong example. People can get 'caught in the moment' before realising such a situation can occur, and that doesn't contradict the definition you gave at the start (and if it does, then I suggest you revise your definition)

Quote:
Recognizing what's about to come does not prevent you from being "caught in the moment", even if you seek to actively avoid it. See first example above.
There's very little information in the first example. With Hinata, he knew exactly how he'd end up caught in the moment. How much did the drinker knew? Was drinking that big of a deal for the guy? If it's immediately threatening to his life/existence and there's someone he really cares about (like Hinata) then i just can't see that happening. This is before he’s caught in the moment. Hinata could’ve actively avoided being caught in the moment by dropping out. You can actively avoid being caught in the moment if you can see how it’ll happen and you care enough. By your logic, Hinata should've cared enough.

Quote:
Ignoring Ep04 and Ep10:
Ep05: none
Ep06: [2:25 to 2:36] = 11 seconds
Ep07: [1:36 to 2:03] + [20:23 to 20:30] = 27 + 7 = 34 seconds
Ep08: [9:40 to 10:01] + [18:15 to 18:25] = 21 + 10 = 31 seconds
Ep09: none

And again, this is all background information. Has it been used for the plot in the anime? No. . Has it been referenced? Yes. Note the difference. The same is also true regarding Chaa, Noda, Shiina and Ooyama. Also, they had a pretty valid reason to reintroduce the characters and the basic concepts of the world: Otonashi. Oh, and those who don't know anything about the novel are pretty confused -- just see all the people who are still claiming Yuri to be the evil, scheming final boss.
Lol. Well there you go then. Or do you honestly believe that an extra 22 seconds makes that much difference?

Yes it has. It was an important factor. Therefore, it was used in the anime. And you do realise that having a new naive character as the main protagonist was done specifically to do exactly that?

Quote:
That still doesn't imply anything more than friendship, but wouldn't you be lonely if a close friend disappeared? And not only that, Hinata's sudden disappearance would possibly destabilize the SSS. It's a fatal blow to morale when one of the founders suddenly disappears without saying a word. That's just how society works (ie most guilds get some drama when one of the founders leave publicly and without a word). Are you saying we shouldn't use human society as a reference for these characters' actions?
Depends, but I don’t think that would apply to Yuri. That’s not the point, though. I’m pretty certain that’s quite a different sort of loneliness than what Hinata feared Yuri would be stuck with in chapter 3.
No. Well you can, but I don’t believe it makes your interpretation any more credible than mine. Have you never been in a shipping war?

Quote:
Well, then read it again . Hinata knew how to find a way to disappear. He didn't pursue it, and he never brought it up again. What does this suggest?
Like I said. It’s nothing that I didn’t already know.

Quote:
Suggest what? Are you trying to tell me that relationships do not evolve, especially in a growing organization, over the course of a decade? Don't be delusional. And the evolution of the relationships within the group is pretty evident in the anime: Chaa, now the head of Guild, doesn't mingle with the oldies, Hinata and Yuri aren't seen playing around (based on chapter 6 pics), Yuri has become much more wary of Kanade, Shiina is now a friend, Ooyama is no longer scared of Yuri, etc (not much info on Noda, only have 1 pic of him from Track Zero, and he looks mighty angry there).
Only suggests those things, and only those things. Only what you can observe. That’s my point.

If I believe that Hinata cared more about inner peace at that time rather than taking care of Yuri then I’m going to believe their relationship did not evolve to such a degree. If you believe that it wasn’t Hinata’s ‘true self’ and he really does care more about Yuri then you’re obviously going to believe it did evolve to such a degree. But you can’t then use that as a premise to prove that it’s wasn’t Himata’s true self’ at that time. That’s circular.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2010-06-09 at 07:46.
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-06-09, 19:31   Link #147
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philippines
Don't mind us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I already told you. He clearly identified it was a serious situation and something as silly as wanting to win the game shouldn't override the fact that if he doesn't want to disappear so much then he should've played it safe and dropped out.
Hence why he was actively denying his disappearance. He didn't want to disappear. He didn't think that he'd disappear. Furthermore, even if he did go through with the catch, there is no guarantee that he would disappear. All these are juxtaposed with him wanting to win the match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I already told you. I’m not after an implication. I’m asking for evidence that suggests it’s your way rather than mine.
That implication suggests it. I don't see why it shouldn't. In fact, tell me why you think it shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And what does this prove that I don’t already know? I already knew that Hinata was with the SSS. Then it stands to reason that Hinata wouldn’t want to disappear because if he did he wouldn’t be in the SSS anymore and would've gone over to Kanade already. I don’t need to read chapter 3 to know that. That was a freaking given. My point is that Hinata wanting to catch the ball was his ‘true self’. It’s possible to have contradictory desires you know. And it’s possible to live by one desire, but, in the heat of the moment, choose the contradicting desire when ‘caught in the moment’.
He knows how to disappear, but he didn't go down that route. Does this not imply that his "true self" has significantly deprioritized his disappearance? Stop ignoring evidence. How can that be his true self when there wasn't even any buildup or reference to it which suggests this anywhere in the time before and after that event? If anything, that was a sign of abnormal behavior, along with his melancholic moments in that episode. See, reminiscing about your past =/= "true self" or w/e. Even his thought process in Track Zero is a far cry from that emotional Hinata in Ep04. Are you implying that he is one extremely dishonest fellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So it’s wrong then. They were surprised because they saw someone disappear right in the front of them. Totally unfair to saying Yuri should also be surprised when she didn’t have that luxury.
Experience. When you're already used to such phenomenon, you won't be surprised when such phenomenon happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Kanade never reacts to anything. She was shot in the freaking stomach and didn't react. She didn't look surprised when evil Tenshi appeared. And you can't use Evil Kanade as an example. That's evil Kanade. She was also evil (which Kanade wasn't). It takes a lot to make Kanade react (like her losing her meal ticket for her favourite food).
Contradictory much? Anyway, reading Kanade's emotions is easy mode compared to, say, Nagato Yuki. Wanna see her looking surprised? Review the Naoi massacre -- her gestures imply as much when Naoi asks her if she's rebelling against God, and she widens her eyes in one shot during the hug. Mildly annoyed? Ep03, "It's almost like I'm the bad guy" scene. Slight interest? Ep06, when Otonashi begs her to help the SSS. Sadness? Right when she exclaims that there is no one she can call a "friend" in the afterlife. Reluctance/uneasiness? When Otonashi invited her to go fishing. Curiosity? Checking out the fishing materials. Anger/frustration? When she was charging against the first clone. And this is excluding everything after the Dark Archon merge in Ep08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My point still stands. The guys weren’t that surprised.
She did express emotion, though, which is contrary to your point. Just look at her and how she talks. She’s very pensive about it.
Let me make this clear: If they weren't surprised, why did they act as if they didn't know why Iwasawa disappeared, and why did they act as if they did not expect her disappearance? Also, "casually remarking" =/= emotionless. Read my post again. Now, see the difference between Yuri's reaction and the guys'. Yuri acts as if she expected it to happen, and she claims that Iwasawa accepted it herself, thus it couldn't be helped. She may have been melancholic, but she certainly wasn't surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
But I thought you said that once you’re caught in the moment, you’re already prey to this stimulator thingy? In that case she was forced to sing.
If she was already caught in the stimulator, she would have felt utmost pleasure from the start, similar to her expression just prior to disappearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well obviously. If she forgot she would disappear then ofcourse she's not gonna show any hesitiation or even think of disappearing.
You misunderstand. Did she think of disappearing during the concert proper? Nope. Did she think of disappearing during the teachers' intervention? Nope. Did she think of disappearing before she played My Song? Nope. Again: To be caught in the moment, you need to actively know what you're trying to avoid/prevent before you get engrossed in the activity. Perhaps we're arguing semantics, but saying Iwasawa was caught in the moment while playing My Song does not sit well with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My point at the start was that Iwasawa's and Hinata's case were incomparable because Hinata had the luxruy of knowing beforehand, the situation whilst Iwasawa did not.
You say that can't be since she sang that song for ages and must've known at some point.
I said that was because she was 'caught in the moment'
You're saying if she was caught in the moment she would've been actively avoiding disappearing.
But that's the thing: She could only actively avoid disappearing if she knew the situation beforehand, which is what you're trying to prove.
They're comparable because they represent two different situations that lead to the same result: disappearance. Furthermore, the real focus here was Hinata's situation. I brought up Iwasawa in order to compare the difference between the two events. If you're saying that Otonashi's question invalidates this, then know that Hinata was already nervously shaking even before their little chat -- that's the reason why Otonashi asked him about it in the first place. And, you misunderstand. I wasn't trying to prove whether Iwasawa knew she was gonna disappear or not. What I was trying to prove was that that last act, playing My Song, was somehow planned. Also, what I was saying was that if she was caught in the moment (for the whole duration of the song), she would have had thoughts of disappearing before she started playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You're using the wrong example. People can get 'caught in the moment' before realising such a situation can occur, and that doesn't contradict the definition you gave at the start (and if it does, then I suggest you revise your definition)
Semantics. You're definition is slightly different (and more general) than mine, since I specifically stated that you needed to know what you were trying to avoid before so that you can legitimately get "caught". If you didn't know what you were trying to avoid, you're just being engrossed in the activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There's very little information in the first example. With Hinata, he knew exactly how he'd end up caught in the moment. How much did the drinker knew? Was drinking that big of a deal for the guy? If it's immediately threatening to his life/existence and there's someone he really cares about (like Hinata) then i just can't see that happening. This is before he’s caught in the moment. Hinata could’ve actively avoided being caught in the moment by dropping out. You can actively avoid being caught in the moment if you can see how it’ll happen and you care enough. By your logic, Hinata should've cared enough.
Not relevant. You only need to know about it. Consider this:
party = playing baseball
drinking = disappearing
Catching the ball is part of the game. Hinata doesn't want to avoid that. However, he doesn't know that catching that ball would result in disappearance, and by the time it should have occurred to him, he was already caught in the moment. Same with the party -- chatting with people is part of the party, but he did not know that going to Table01 and chatting with person A, B and C will result in him taking a few shots (he could be lost in the conversation or peer pressured or w/e).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol. Well there you go then. Or do you honestly believe that an extra 22 seconds makes that much difference?
Yes. But they were never meant to be a full-blown romantic pairing in the first place. All Hinata did at the end of Ep10 was prove Yui wrong. Yui x Hinata shippers are just exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yes it has. It was an important factor. Therefore, it was used in the anime. And you do realise that having a new naive character as the main protagonist was done specifically to do exactly that?
Are you referring to Hinata's close relationship with Yuri, and him being the co-founder of the SSS? I don't think so. Used, referenced -- learn the difference. And I already addressed this in that part you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Depends, but I don’t think that would apply to Yuri. That’s not the point, though. I’m pretty certain that’s quite a different sort of loneliness than what Hinata feared Yuri would be stuck with in chapter 3.
No. Well you can, but I don’t believe it makes your interpretation any more credible than mine. Have you never been in a shipping war?
Of course. Mind the timeline. Remember how relationships evolve? And, ho ho, are you saying that we should not apply human logic to these characters? Then this whole debate is pointless. And I never participate in serious shipping. My interests lie more in speculah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Like I said. It’s nothing that I didn’t already know.
Then why did you say that Hinata didn't know how to disappear? Why did you say that he didn't pick himself up, and that he only stuck to Yuri because he didn't know how to disappear (when he clearly knows otherwise)? Why are you saying that he cared more about his disappearance when he clearly never pursued it after his talk with Ooyama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Only suggests those things, and only those things. Only what you can observe. That’s my point.
How shallow-minded. We don't observe the characters urinating or defecating, so they must not be doing it. We don't observe the characters changing clothes or taking baths, so they must not be doing it. I haven't observed this particular pencil on the moon, so, hypothetically, if I was standing on the moon and I let go of this pencil, I wouldn't know what would happen to it. We didn't observe the formation of our solar system, therefore we shouldn't be able to deduce how it formed. We don't observe intelligent radio transmissions, so we must be the only advanced civilization in our galaxy. We don't observe methane-based (instead of water-based) life forms, so they must not exist. We don't observe extraterrestrial life, so Earth must be the only planet in the whole universe that supports life. We can't directly observe black holes and dark matter, so they must not be able to exist. We can't observe anything past around 13 billion light years, so nothing must exist past that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If I believe that Hinata cared more about inner peace at that time rather than taking care of Yuri then I’m going to believe their relationship did not evolve to such a degree. If you believe that it wasn’t Hinata’s ‘true self’ and he really does care more about Yuri then you’re obviously going to believe it did evolve to such a degree. But you can’t then use that as a premise to prove that it’s wasn’t Himata’s true self’ at that time. That’s circular.
Believe what you want then. But let me just tell you that you're wrong. There is no evolution needed. It's right there in that short excerpt from chapter 3. Stop ignoring evidence. And it's not even an argument, just a definition of terms: X is his true self. He acted like Y, which is not the same as and is in direct opposition to X. By definition, Y couldn't be his true self since Y =/= X.
__________________
Ice Block is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 04:17   Link #148
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Ugh...


Spoiler for Tower of Text:
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2010-06-10 at 09:04.
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 05:30   Link #149
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
Guys, can you make it more concise? It's interesting to read but dear god is it a giant wall of text.

Or, you know what? Give a week or 2 without any walls of text, refine both of your points, and present an essay on it or something. then we can vote on who's point of view we agree on!
Khu is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 06:05   Link #150
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
We're not trying to entertain you. _____

Anyway, if we wanted to make this easier we would simply wait for the next three episodes and see who's right. Nevertheless...

Spoiler for what must be, must be...:
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 06:12   Link #151
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Guys, can you make it more concise? It's interesting to read but dear god is it a giant wall of text.

Or, you know what? Give a week or 2 without any walls of text, refine both of your points, and present an essay on it or something. then we can vote on who's point of view we agree on!
Have them start on it tomorrow, and then give them 2 weeks to do it. By then Angel Beats! would be over and them arguing point and focus would be fruitless.

Quote:
We're not trying to entertain you. _____
I like the face the most. It makes me laugh XD

Edit: Oh. Nice picture.

I guess i'm echoing Haak then. Though I'm more interested in what the shadows are.
Arbitres is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 06:54   Link #152
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
What punches will Ice Block throw next!? Stay tuned on the next episode of Angels Advocate.
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 09:52   Link #153
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
It's like Debates with the Roman Senators all over again. /nod
Please keep the discussion brewing, just avoid making Great Walls of China out of your posts.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now  
Old 2010-06-10, 17:59   Link #154
Farix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
So what are the "shadows"?

1: They are similar to the "Langoliers"
2: They are the result of an imbalance of too many people not willing to let go of their regrets and it is the world's attempt to "purge" itself
3: Residual affects of Kanade's Harmonics
4: Someone else has created them for their own nefarious purposes

Note that Kanade stated that her guardian skills were created for defense, but she already had Hand Sonic long before the SSS was created. So they were created to defend against what? Clearly not for the random student (Chaa) that barges into the principal's office and threaten the principal.
Farix is offline  
Old 2010-06-10, 20:41   Link #155
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farix View Post
So what are the "shadows"?

1: They are similar to the "Langoliers"
2: They are the result of an imbalance of too many people not willing to let go of their regrets and it is the world's attempt to "purge" itself
3: Residual affects of Kanade's Harmonics
4: Someone else has created them for their own nefarious purposes

Note that Kanade stated that her guardian skills were created for defense, but she already had Hand Sonic long before the SSS was created. So they were created to defend against what? Clearly not for the random student (Chaa) that barges into the principal's office and threaten the principal.
Are you sure she already had Hand Sonic for then?
Qikz is offline  
Old 2010-06-11, 00:45   Link #156
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I have a thought for those who are still clinging to the hope that the characters are merely in a coma. Numbers.
If this show had only one character who thought he/she was dead, that would be a possibility. But currently, we have a dozen speaking characters in that condition. If they all thought they "died" in the same incident, I might buy that they're all comatose, but they didn't.
That's just the begining, behind the dozen or so regular SSS members we see regularly, Yurippe mentioned they had several dozen more members. Indeed, they had enough to field several baseball teams in episode 4. Then, you have to include the people in the Guild, that's another 3 or 4 dozen, I think. That's nearly a hundred people, but it doesn't end there.
Not everyone who appears here joins the SSS. Some choose a "normal" life instead, then "disappear" shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of these people are several times that of the SSS.
So there's one, possibly two to five hundred people from the mortal world (very likely only from Japan and aged between 15-19) in this school, with a small number arriving or leaving at any time. Do you really think it's possible that Japan has that many 15-19 year olds in a coma, falling into a coma or waking from a coma regularly? I don't think so.
Jimmy C is offline  
Old 2010-06-11, 01:05   Link #157
SoggySoyBean
Squishie
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Thats a good point, but I'm not sure if statistics are a good thing to rely on in anime. (i'm not in favour of the comatose argument, I just wanted to point that out xD)
SoggySoyBean is offline  
Old 2010-06-11, 02:27   Link #158
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
there is no god in the world, its somewhere along the line of in between worlds for getting lingering souls for incarnation, more of a buddism/hindu cycle
kk2extreme is offline  
Old 2010-06-11, 02:57   Link #159
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Are you sure she already had Hand Sonic for then?
Yuri stated that a blade came out of her arm like some supernatural power and killed Chaa with it in chapter 2.
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-06-11, 05:32   Link #160
Thoguht
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I have a thought for those who are still clinging to the hope that the characters are merely in a coma. Numbers.
And I have a thought for those who believe that the characters are truly dead and in some type of afterlife/purgatory/limbo. Numbers. In this case, the numbers 0 and 1. Since when was the afterlife in binary? We know that Kanade derives her powers from a piece of software, we even see the binary digits when she uses her skills. And even the world's self-repair mechanism has "Matrix-like" visual effects - for example, the lamp repairing itself at 23:12 in episode 1. This is no afterlife for the dead, this is a virtual reality for the living.
Thoguht is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.