AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-07, 19:36   Link #21
myopius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I like the character design. That male character doesn't look like a wimp or a simple-minded idealist, and is posing somewhat confidently. Certainly, we'll have to see if Enokido can give him an engaging personality... I'm personally relieved to hear that Enokido wasn't a writer for Heroman.

Recently I was reading Guyver, and while reading it recalled my like of Reideen 2006... In the wake of a show with perhaps similar plot elements (Heroman), I also hope that BONES is in the mood to refine their storytelling such that they will do this new series justice along the lines of those series. Though I guess it's not an alien-fighting story like those, it's more of a mecha anime...
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 11:29   Link #22
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Hopefully Bones can do some good work with this unlike essentially all their recent work.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 16:42   Link #23
BluWacky
尻の竜
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
Recently I was reading Guyver, and while reading it recalled my like of Reideen 2006... In the wake of a show with perhaps similar plot elements (Heroman), I also hope that BONES is in the mood to refine their storytelling such that they will do this new series justice along the lines of those series. Though I guess it's not an alien-fighting story like those, it's more of a mecha anime...
"alien fighting" or "mecha" mean absolutely nothing in terms of what kind of story we'll get. All we know about this show is it's a "school robot action anime". That's like saying Utena is a "school sword battle anime"; it could mean anything whatsoever about the storyline, to which we have no clues whatsoever.

I'm surprised by the vitriol against Soul Eater and Heroman in this thread. I didn't like either show, but then I didn't expect to - they're for kids, and all the beautiful animation in the world won't make me enjoy stereotypical shounen fare like this. It didn't really work ten years ago and it certainly doesn't now!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 19:27   Link #24
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Age: 23
Geesh, was Heroman that bad? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say . . .

I'm totally digging the mecha-design.
It looks pretty cool.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 02:53   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
Geesh, was Heroman that bad? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say . . .
It's nothing special, though i just find it a light and entertaining watch. Especially in the later stages of the series. May as well give it a go and see what you make of it.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 03:02   Link #26
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I'm surprised by the vitriol against Soul Eater and Heroman in this thread. I didn't like either show, but then I didn't expect to - they're for kids, and all the beautiful animation in the world won't make me enjoy stereotypical shounen fare like this. It didn't really work ten years ago and it certainly doesn't now!
Yeah, kids show have their uncut midnight broadcast eh ?

@Stardust
"Bad" is not enough to describe it

Here we hope, we get decent mecha anime this time. Mecha TV series anime getting rare on last 1.5 year
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 03:14   Link #27
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
i just hope BONES will pull a Gaogaigar with this series this time
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 04:50   Link #28
BluWacky
尻の竜
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Yeah, kids show have their uncut midnight broadcast eh ?
Soul Eater runs in the same manga anthology as Heroman, FMA, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Index... etc., Shounen Gangan. It's aimed at the same audience as Shounen Jump etc. - i.e. young/tween boys, just with different levels of sophistication. Hell, Death Note and Nougami Neuro (both late night shows) run in the same anthology as Naruto...

Back when I actually watched Soul Eater I remember there being little to no difference in the late night broadcast anyway...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 04:50   Link #29
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I'm surprised by the vitriol against Soul Eater and Heroman in this thread. I didn't like either show, but then I didn't expect to - they're for kids, and all the beautiful animation in the world won't make me enjoy stereotypical shounen fare like this. It didn't really work ten years ago and it certainly doesn't now!
That's a shitty excuse honestly. Saying something that is for kids is automatically not for anyone else is stupid. FMA is shounen too. In fact, it runs in the same magazine, has the same sponsors, and is by the same animation studio. It is not bad because it is for kids. It is bad because the pacing was awful, the writing was bad, the direction was very questionable, and above all it was BORING.

Heroman is an original work. I don't think it matters that it's targeted a kids first and foremost. That doesn't mean it cannot also appeal to everyone else and have a good story and interesting action (instead of just Heroman punching something all the time). If you are suggesting that BONES is incapable of delivering a comic style series for kids that is also really enjoyable for everyone else, then that is probably more insulting to BONES than to Heroman. Lol.

Angelic Layer was a shounen manga adaptation for kids. Hiwou Senki, BONES' first production, was totally for kids. Both shows are very enjoyable and show a lot of creativity and great pacing. Soul Eater sucks, and Heroman sucks even more. Please do not attempt to downplay the fact that as BONES' productivity increases, their quality drops. It is definitely of concern to those who have followed BONES from the very beginning and think very highly of their abilities when they actually put their mind to it.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 09:00   Link #30
Adventury
Rail Tracer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Hiwou Senki, BONES' first production, was totally for kids. Both shows are very enjoyable and show a lot of creativity and great pacing. Soul Eater sucks, and Heroman sucks even more. Please do not attempt to downplay the fact that as BONES' productivity increases, their quality drops. It is definitely of concern to those who have followed BONES from the very beginning and think very highly of their abilities when they actually put their mind to it.
Let's not start any reviosinism here, because unless one of us is drunk on some nostalgia vitriol, Hiwou Senki (aka Clockwork Fighters) was a bunch of dross either as a kids' show or simply as an entertaining series. It was at best mildly amusing at times, but it was still a farcry from BONES' top work, and really not any better than Heroman at all.
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 09:09   Link #31
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
That's a shitty excuse honestly. Saying something that is for kids is automatically not for anyone else is stupid. FMA is shounen too. In fact, it runs in the same magazine, has the same sponsors, and is by the same animation studio. It is not bad because it is for kids. It is bad because the pacing was awful, the writing was bad, the direction was very questionable, and above all it was BORING.

Heroman is an original work. I don't think it matters that it's targeted a kids first and foremost. That doesn't mean it cannot also appeal to everyone else and have a good story and interesting action (instead of just Heroman punching something all the time). If you are suggesting that BONES is incapable of delivering a comic style series for kids that is also really enjoyable for everyone else, then that is probably more insulting to BONES than to Heroman. Lol.

Angelic Layer was a shounen manga adaptation for kids. Hiwou Senki, BONES' first production, was totally for kids. Both shows are very enjoyable and show a lot of creativity and great pacing. Soul Eater sucks, and Heroman sucks even more. Please do not attempt to downplay the fact that as BONES' productivity increases, their quality drops. It is definitely of concern to those who have followed BONES from the very beginning and think very highly of their abilities when they actually put their mind to it.

The main problem though with SE is that Bones had no idea what to do with the ending and alot of the problems such as later pacing can be attributed to that. The animation and choreography at times could be absolutely astounding(Black Star and Mifune fight scene) though. I really would say that Bones's current strength is in production values moreso than writing.

Heroman only really suffers from generic and boring writing, everything else especially the BGM is outstanding. So again considering I don't know who's writing how much(Stan Lee could be doing alot of the writing for all I know) I would still not fault Bones that much though.

What I can fault them for is DtB2 though and Brotherhood to certain extents as well as the mess of the E7 movie. Not to mention the horrendous horrendous decision to make Xam'd 26 episodes instead of a full 50 and the serious problems of that show due to that.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 09:23   Link #32
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventury View Post
Let's not start any reviosinism here, because unless one of us is drunk on some nostalgia vitriol, Hiwou Senki (aka Clockwork Fighters) was a bunch of dross either as a kids' show or simply as an entertaining series. It was at best mildly amusing at times, but it was still a farcry from BONES' top work, and really not any better than Heroman at all.
I disagree. I've always liked the worldview, and the characters were interesting and fun. It's not a mindblowing series or anything, and no one ever said anything about it being BONES' top work. it's entertaining and fun, and more importantly, I find it pretty original. Heroman on the other hand, just plain sucks.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 09:51   Link #33
Adventury
Rail Tracer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
You may have a point about the worldview, but I still found that despite its target audience, it felt at times that the show didn't quite know who ti was tryint to appeal to. That and the fact that it falls in the bizarre age where most studios were making the jump into digital makes it visually a tad garish in my eyes. Still I won't deny that it had its moments and some of the design wasn't half bad either.

But I still stand by my point: despite my appreciation of BONES as a studio it's not like it has some kind of Midas touch that turns everything into gold. I found Jyu-Oh-Sei's second half to be relatively awful, Ayashi Ayakashi feels like a sort of misguided attempt at making some sort of slick period piece that while not totally ill-natured has more than a few dubious design choices. And even their best works suffer from some occasional awkward pacing. I'm thinking particularly of Eureka 7 which, despite a marvelous middle stretch, made viewers have to sit through some rather tedious (as Bluwacky may attest to) 'worldview' building episodes.
My other argument falls in line with Jarmel's last comment: I believe that both FMA: Brotherhood and Darker Than Black's second season are much bigger stains to BONES' reputation in my eyes than Soul Eater and Heroman will ever be, since the later two are just (at worst) two subjectively average additions to their portfolio, while the former two represent a break of their philosophy of avoiding remakes and sequels. Doesn't help that at least FMA hasn't been exactly brilliant throughout its run(with the obvious exception of some episodes) which makes it all that much harder to swallow.
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 13:04   Link #34
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
I don't know what you people are talking about. What is this DtB2 and E7 movie you keep mentioning? Pretty sure they don't exist.....

duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 15:22   Link #35
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
I don't see how anyone that's not already biased against it could possibly consider FMA:B a "stain" on BONES' portfolio.
Spoiler for longpost is long:

But on topic... Do we really need another new school mecha bishonen series? Especially since the rabid horde is already frothing at the mouth in anticipation of Code Geass: Gaiden?
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 16:29   Link #36
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for Response to longpost is long:


Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I don't see how anyone that's not already biased against it could possibly consider FMA:B a "stain" on BONES' portfolio.
But on topic... Do we really need another new school mecha bishonen series? Especially since the rabid horde is already frothing at the mouth in anticipation of Code Geass: Gaiden?
I certainly don't consider FMA:B a failure or stain but it definitely could have been better overall as a work and that is solely on Bones's shoulders.

Also I don't think we know any sort of school is involved and judging by the picture of the Milky Way behind the main character, I would say it is looking like more of an adventure/mech show than school oriented.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 18:56   Link #37
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I'm surprised by the vitriol against Soul Eater and Heroman in this thread. I didn't like either show, but then I didn't expect to - they're for kids, and all the beautiful animation in the world won't make me enjoy stereotypical shounen fare like this. It didn't really work ten years ago and it certainly doesn't now!
I didn't expect this kind of really bad logic from you, BluWacky. Soul Eater and Heroman are bad because they're slow, really fucking boring and, in Heroman's case, horribly directed; that has nothing to do with them being kids' shows. Medabots was an excellent, speedy and very energetic toy commercial that was fun to watch from beginning to end, Doremi was a very enjoyable show for little girls with great sense of pacing and endearing characterization, the currently running Heartcatch Precure is Doremi's spiritual successor with the addition of super-quirky and bouncy action sequences; your logic fails because these three are a lot more childish than Heroman and Soul Eater and they're also a whole lot more watchable and entretaining.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 19:28   Link #38
Adventury
Rail Tracer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
After re-reading my own post, I do realize that perhaps choosing the word 'stain' wasn't the best idea. After all I do/did enjoy watching the shows in question to some extent. I won't get into much detail since I do believe that the thread has already been derailed enough, but my point is that, regardless of their quality, both shows (a remake and a sequel) simply are the most obvious representation of BONES' progressively falling to more comercially inclined productions. I don't exactly have a problem with the concept of sequels per-se.

I enjoyed watching most of BONES' works so far and own almost all of them as well. I still believe they're one of the actual japanese animation studios whose work is at least consistently solid. But my point is that while I don't disagree with 7th and duckroll about Heroman and Soul Eater, I just think their complaints that could easily be leveled to some of their other shows by some people. But I still find perfectly understandable to feel some distaste and cepticism brewing from them.

About Star Driver itself: I guess having Enokido on board can't hurt and it'll be interesting to see how Ito does as Animation Director (when was the last time he occupied the spot? I have some vague memories of him being in charge of Eureka 7's 30 something episode) and Igarashi is always a solid choice for the Director spot. I am rather ambivalent to the concept but I'm cautiously optimistic that they can pull off a good show.
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 23:29   Link #39
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventury View Post
After re-reading my own post, I do realize that perhaps choosing the word 'stain' wasn't the best idea. After all I do/did enjoy watching the shows in question to some extent. I won't get into much detail since I do believe that the thread has already been derailed enough, but my point is that, regardless of their quality, both shows (a remake and a sequel) simply are the most obvious representation of BONES' progressively falling to more comercially inclined productions. I don't exactly have a problem with the concept of sequels per-se.
I've never understood railing against so-called "commerically-inclined" series. A good series is good, and a bad series is bad. Whether they're overtly selling something because of it shouldn't come into play. Some of my most endearing childhood memories are tied to running home from school so I'd be home in time to watch the "thirty-minute commercials" selling Transformers and GI Joe. And frankly so much of the anti-commercial writing and production is either such poor quality (you do need some commerciality to fund your budget) or so pretentiously full of its own "edginess" as to be unwatchable. And of course the opposite can also be true.

On a certain level all art is commercial. Someone has to pay for it to be made. But we're wildly off-topic...

So yeah, when do you think we'll start seeing the Star Driver PVC models for sale...? ^_^
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 03:02   Link #40
BluWacky
尻の竜
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
Y'all are right, I should have thought more carefully. Truth be told I hated what I saw of Soul Eater (I thought it was puerile drivel) but I didn't really lay the blame at Bones's door, I just thought the source material was rubbish - and Heroman is what it is... and of course lots of "kids" shows are great. Clearly I was playing devil's advocate - and badly at that.

Truth be told I've mostly stopped watching anime altogether over the past year; I'd put my disinterest in Heroman partly down to my lack of interest in anime in general at the time. And I haven't even finished DtB2 yet - or XAM'D, of all things, which I was really enjoying.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.