AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-24, 00:04   Link #21
GreatTeacherKen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It might just be me though, but 1-UP's are waaaaay to easy to get too. Even in the first game. (*already has 41 lives* xD; )
A lot of newer Mario games seem to do this a lot (of course older games also had tricks to get numerous one ups), I guess they figure since the game's going to be harder, they might as well give the players more one ups to alleviate frustration. Who knows, maybe some players will need every one.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 21:48   Link #22
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
They weren't kidding when they said the difficulty was cranked up a notch. Even the first stage is kinda tricky. o_o
Yea, I seem to notice that right away too.

And nowadays, the difficulty in beating Mario games stems from actually getting through the levels, without worrying about the number of lives (you got). I guess, "Game Over" is way too harsh for a lot of people.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 11:50   Link #23
Milu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BIG APPLE, 3AM
Age: 26
Totally random, but does anyone else hear "Nipah Nipah!" whenever those sprocket robot things get mad?
__________________
"Screw your boobs!"
-Kurt Angle
Milu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 14:52   Link #24
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
Totally random, but does anyone else hear "Nipah Nipah!" whenever those sprocket robot things get mad?
You mean the Gearmos? I think you're just hearing things. To me they're just generic robotic sounds.

Anywho anyone else make it to World S yet? I love the Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine and Galaxy 1 throwbacks it includes. =p
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 16:16   Link #25
darkburst
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
You mean the Gearmos? I think you're just hearing things. To me they're just generic robotic sounds.

Anywho anyone else make it to World S yet? I love the Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine and Galaxy 1 throwbacks it includes. =p
I have, I made it there today. It's so freakin awesome. So far I only beat the first galaxy in the world.
darkburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 07:43   Link #26
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
A lot of newer Mario games seem to do this a lot (of course older games also had tricks to get numerous one ups), I guess they figure since the game's going to be harder, they might as well give the players more one ups to alleviate frustration. Who knows, maybe some players will need every one.
That's not really how I see it .. I started this game 3 days ago, and I am at World 4 now. I've collected every power star, hidden star and Comet Stars + Comet Medals so far and I've not encountered Game Over even once. I think I didn't even die until World 2 ..

While this game is fun and definitely better than first one, it is also too easy because of the numerous 1-Ups you get and you don't need even half of them. Even if they don't get saved, there are still too many of them.

The only times I was frustrated was with some boss at the Spin ' Dig Galaxy ( or something ) with the Prankster Comet where I had only 1 health, and another one where I needed to kill certain amount of monsters in 60 seconds. But even then I didn't drop below 20 1-ups.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 12:58   Link #27
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
I won't say too much, but for the VERY last star in the game (the 242nd) you will need every single 1-Up you can get your hands on.

I died about maybe 50+ times before I got it. So yeah, the easy to get 1-UP's were a little convinient for that at least.

Also make sure to save 9,999 star bits in the Starship Mario Toad Bank. The prankster comet for the final galaxy doesn't appear till you do even if you got the comet medal.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 14:44   Link #28
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Everyone remember Super Mario 64?


OmgWowYay!!! I <3 <3 Mario 64... This level is Immense!

To be honest, I can't wait to buy/play this game!
__________________

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 15:03   Link #29
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
242 stars ? Damn.. Well, it's good to know that there is still stuff to play, I was afraid I was nearing the end. I got about 70 stars maybe. I don't remember much from the first Galaxy though, such as if I even bothered to collect all secret stars and so ..

How many stars did the first SMG have at total ?

And lol, I would have gotten the last Prankster Comet anyway if you hadn't said that. Like I said, I have 70 stars now but I also have about 5000 star bits in my bank already. ( There was this level where I died like 15 times to very stupid mistakes, and I would get 100 bits or so always before I died.. And since the bits are saved even after you die, unlike coins for some reason ..... )

And I am so looking forward to the final star you mentioned. I hope it's frustrating, hard and annoying.. So when you get it and have completed the game, it feels actually like an accomplishment.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 15:41   Link #30
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
How many stars did the first SMG have at total ?
SMG1 had 121 stars for Mario and 121 stars for Luigi. It's like doing a second playthrough but only with a different character.

Quote:
And lol, I would have gotten the last Prankster Comet anyway if you hadn't said that. Like I said, I have 70 stars now but I also have about 5000 star bits in my bank already. ( There was this level where I died like 15 times to very stupid mistakes, and I would get 100 bits or so always before I died.. And since the bits are saved even after you die, unlike coins for some reason ..... )
Just for the future, the 2nd star mission in the first galaxy in World 6 (it's called the Melty Monster Galaxy) is a great place to pick up star bits using the death restart trick if you need some. It's how I collected those 9,999 I needed cause I never deposited any at all till then.

Quote:
And I am so looking forward to the final star you mentioned. I hope it's frustrating, hard and annoying.. So when you get it and have completed the game, it feels actually like an accomplishment.
God it is. I'll describe it in a spoiler tag for those who are curious enough...

Spoiler for Final Star Mission details...:
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 16:58   Link #31
Peaches
"The Golden Land"
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Earth :3
Send a message via AIM to Peaches Send a message via MSN to Peaches
I plan on getting this game later today. It looks really good from what I saw.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 10:55   Link #32
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Hmm.. Im at World 5 now and 81 stars. Is there many other worlds still to get those 242 stars or do I have to play each level through with Luigi in this game aswell ? I just find it odd that you can see that you have collected the star from the level, and only after that when you enter the level you can choose to play as luigi.

Edit : Also another question. What does it mean when it says sometimes '' A Ghost has appeared in .... Galaxy '' . I usually just press A repeadetly to get through the normal messages you get like Star bits etc. but sometimes this has appeared and I still dont know what it means :/
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light

Last edited by Dist; 2010-05-31 at 11:57.
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 12:50   Link #33
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Hmm.. Im at World 5 now and 81 stars. Is there many other worlds still to get those 242 stars or do I have to play each level through with Luigi in this game aswell ? I just find it odd that you can see that you have collected the star from the level, and only after that when you enter the level you can choose to play as luigi.
There are 6 worlds plus one bonus world called the S world that unlocks after you beat Bowser, so 7 in total. In this game, unlike SMG1, your stars all count for both Mario AND Luigi. The other 120 stars is actually a secondary challenge called the Green Star Challenge which hides green stars throughout every galaxy in the game (2 or 3 per galaxy). You'll activate this challenge after collecting the first 120 stars and beating Bowser again.

Quote:
Also another question. What does it mean when it says sometimes '' A Ghost has appeared in .... Galaxy '' . I usually just press A repeadetly to get through the normal messages you get like Star bits etc. but sometimes this has appeared and I still dont know what it means :/
I never got this message but I have a feeling I know what it means. Sometimes if youre having a lot of trouble with a certain mission, a ghostly apparition shaped like a woman will appear in the galaxy you're having trouble with. If you talk to her and pay star bits, she'll create a clone of Mario and beat the level with it for you. However you won't get a regular star and instead get something called a "bronze star" which will allow you to travel past the galaxy but won't count towards your star total.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 13:48   Link #34
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Age: 21
Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I never got this message but I have a feeling I know what it means. Sometimes if youre having a lot of trouble with a certain mission, a ghostly apparition shaped like a woman will appear in the galaxy you're having trouble with. If you talk to her and pay star bits, she'll create a clone of Mario and beat the level with it for you. However you won't get a regular star and instead get something called a "bronze star" which will allow you to travel past the galaxy but won't count towards your star total.
The message actually means a Staff Ghost has appeared in that Galaxy. Think Mario Kart. The ghost is pretty much the creators of the game playing through the level, showing you a bunch of tricks/secrets.

When you beat a level as Luigi, a staff ghost will appear.

For the ghostly apparition, that's the Cosmic Guide. Remember the Super Guide feature on New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Where if you die too much, it'll ask you if you want the level to be automatically played for you. The Cosmic Guide is this games Super Guide, it'll show you have to correctly do the level if you die too much on it.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 21:03   Link #35
GreatTeacherKen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Finally beat the game, the last star


Spoiler for super mario galaxy 2 last star:


was way harder than anything else in the game. It took me 140 tries (yes, I kept count and I'm admittedly not the best gamer) to beat it, I think my sanity was slipping by the 140th try because once I got to the platform with the Boomerang Bros I went berserk and started throwing my accumulated star bits everywhere while screaming, "Die motherfuckers!"

And, I won. I was so happy that I just hung out with

Spoiler for super mario galaxy 2 last star end:


for a while.

In any case, this was a fantastic game with lots of memorable galaxies. My favorites were:

1. Slimy Spring- very unusual for a Mario game, but it has a great eerie atmosphere and the scenery at the end is breathtaking

2. Melty Monster- I've always had a predilection for lava levels and this one satisfied my lava level cravings. I loved that lava monster maze at the end of the first star. The 2nd star is very fun as well, despite the challenge.

3. Fleet Glide- although getting the comet medal in this galaxy is quite frustrating, this galaxy is epic, I always get a thrill out of dodging the bullet bills and just barely making it through the closing door at the end

4. Slipsand- both star missions in this level were pretty action-packed and a lot of fun

5. Cosmic Cove- another fantastic water level with a great BGM. The 2nd star mission is a surreal and awesome bit of platforming. I don't know of any other game where you swim through floating water cubes in outer space.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
platformer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.