AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Manga or Anime better?
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the MANGA is better. 65 54.62%
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the ANIME is better. 30 25.21%
I watch Anime only. 20 16.81%
I read the Manga only 4 3.36%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-11, 23:39   Link #41
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 29
lack of imagination huh...
You know I hate it when people use that argument, it's like they're trying to ascertain they're right because they're better in some way, and anyone who says different is automatically wrong because they lack imagination. Come on! how close minded is that?
You're looking at pictures, pictures. It's not like imagining color or motion is that dificult, it's practically automatic, the minute you start thinig about what you've seen you see it in color! And have you ever thought of any character and not seen him in motion? is that really so hard to imagine that you have to bring it up? And of course people who like anime bette like it better because of sound, color, motion, they're moving pictures. literaly. I mean what's the point of watching a movie based on a book if you're not going to enjoy it for the color, sound, music and basically bringing something you love to life? That's the point isn't it?
The fact is, reading and watching movies are two different things, each has its strong points and each has its weak points, it's not like reading is automatically better. It's like comparing LOTR movie to the LOTR book, you can't. If you look at the movie from the book's point of view it's barely acceptable because it leaves so much out, concentrates so much on the wrong things, etc.. But if you look at it only as a movie, you realize it's pretty enjoyable, not only that you may come to accept that it does in fact succeed in partially bringing LOTR to life, not to mention make more people aware of it.
I happen to like reading, I'm an avid fan of many types of fiction (I'm not restricted to fiction but I guess other more serious forms of reading don't exactly classify as enjoyable to most people.), infact I'm famous for my love for reading; my room has a book case two times my size and about four times as long racked from top to bottom with hundred of books, and I've had to sell another one just as big recently on account of moving.
I love reading mangas, I'm used to the left to right style, japanese comedy and drama, much of their symbolism, and to make it very clear I don't find it boring at all. However I happen to also like watching it on screen, with dramatic music, with well thought out and well excecuted fight scenes, an interpratation of the character's dressing and looks I may not have thought of or might have accidentally missed, voices that I haven't thought up, something that basically isn't a product of my own imagination, something different.
I don't know, maybe since I haven't watched much anime I'm wrong in saying the animation team working on Naruto does a good job on it, though I do feel their production team is good. What I do know is that despite what many people seem to think the art in the Naruto manga isn't so awesome. It's good period. Nothing more, nothing less.
ermm.. I really didn't want to argue the point, I felt whether someone liked reading or watching better is something up to each person and would've just left it at my first post. It's jus that stupid 'lack of imagination' argument that got to me . So um... I guess that's it.
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 23:44   Link #42
Hideki Keiji
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
lol. saying we have no imagination because color is added to the black and white? wow. when the color is exactly the same as it "would be" i.e. naruto's orange jacket and red chakara doesnt miracously change to a pink jacket and green chakara in "your imagination" does it? therefore, why try and imagine somehting thats clearly not the case?
However, Naruto's normal chakra is changed from yellow to blue. This isn't a drastic change(in fact, I like it better blue), but it still is a change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
if you can give me a significant difference where the difference clearly shows a difference in character, story direction, power level, motives, then i dont think you can say that its "completly wrong to say that its virtually the same. "
In the manga, Tsunade Defeated Orochimaru with one punch, in the anime it takes like 60(something like that). That is a clear difference in power.
If the anime did not contridict the manga in any way, I would like it better, simply because it would be the manga animated. However, it is instead, the manga interpreted to how the animaters see fit(that probably isn't worded right).
So in conclusion, I like the anime, but I like the manga better.
Hideki Keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 00:41   Link #43
Nubixkube
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
I prefer the manga over the anime, mainly because I feel that the series gets watered down at certain points and that ruins it for me. Especially in the most recent fight between Kabuto and Naruto.
Nubixkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 07:32   Link #44
ShikaShika
無罪
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: もう東京ではない
Age: 33
Manga. Simply because the manga is what Naruto is. Who does Naruto better than the actual creator? However I do like anime over manga in general. The animators can't possibly do things better than Kishimoto so to get the best result they have to follow the manga to 100%. (Which is pretty much what all my favourite animes have done.) It's just too bad that the Naruto anime is for kids. That means less blood, more Konohamaru.

Naruto is an anime that had the potential of beating the manga (if it had followed it properly) but it didn't and the shortcomings are just too large for the advantages of anime to edge out the manga.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 09:48   Link #45
lemonsensation
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scy
Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime.

Manga:
1) Doesn't contain crap fillers like anime
2) Have more awe factor, e.g
Spoiler:

3) Later anime eps are likely to blow, considering how draggy the manga had become.
I don't read the manga of any series and I'm sort of new to anime. Is the manga not straight from the anime so there's more fillers in the anime? Also, why is there fillers and what's their purpose?

Edit: I read some more posts, and the anime is apparently changed up compared to manga. Is there a reason they do this?
lemonsensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 10:37   Link #46
Yoska
フランキー
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Suomi
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsensation
Edit: I read some more posts, and the anime is apparently changed up compared to manga. Is there a reason they do this?
Fillers purpose is prevent animations to catch up with comics. Naruto comic is still running in Japan and it's certainly not going to end soon. The problem is that the anime usually covers more than one manga chapter in a week. Eventually it will catch up with the comic and thus forcing animations to go totally different direction. This is usually a bad thing. Rurouni Kenshin is a good example how things could go bad but on the other hand Fullmetal Alchemist is, from what I have heard, excellent. Fillers aren't necessarily bad it's just that the attitude in this community towards fillers is bad. People who cares more about anime wants to see faithful version of comics but by many animes being different (worse) than their manga counterparts (because of added/altered material), filler have become a swearword for many people. Another reason to adding fillers and watering down animations is that in Japan anime is, unlike many tends to think, child/nerd oriented media. Manga is for all ages. There are manga's directed for teens (Naruto), for young mans, for ladies, for working people and so on.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 10:53   Link #47
eviljiraiya
Evil Perverted Sannin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne.
Hmmmmm it seems that people like the manga more than the anime.

But just a question to the manga lovers:

Don't you feel that the music contributes greatly to the mood and emotion of the story?

I think it plays a huge part and i dont think i could imagine the naruto story/world without it.

I reckon they have awesome music played in the right times and it just makes things so much better in terms of emotions and feeling. Which is why i like to watch and hear rather than to just read the manga.

but then again i havent read any of the manga at all so yeah...
eviljiraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 10:53   Link #48
eviljiraiya
Evil Perverted Sannin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne.
hey Yoska,

What avatar is that?

it looks....queer.. lol
eviljiraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 11:04   Link #49
skillosopher
Dr. J
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SD
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMLM3
lack of imagination huh...
You know I hate it when people use that argument, it's like they're trying to ascertain they're right because they're better in some way, and anyone who says different is automatically wrong because they lack imagination. Come on! how close minded is that?
You're looking at pictures, pictures. It's not like imagining color or motion is that dificult, it's practically automatic, the minute you start thinig about what you've seen you see it in color!
ive tried to say this already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Keiji
In the manga, Tsunade Defeated Orochimaru with one punch, in the anime it takes like 60(something like that). That is a clear difference in power.
If the anime did not contridict the manga in any way, I would like it better, simply because it would be the manga animated. However, it is instead, the manga interpreted to how the animaters see fit(that probably isn't worded right).
So in conclusion, I like the anime, but I like the manga better.
lemme get this straight. the conclusion from your premis is as follows: the manga version of tsunade is "clearly" more powerful, than the anime tsunade.

i dont think that conclusion is accurate. this are differences however, its up to the person to judge whether its significant enough to warrent a "clear difference" in power. i say these differences are not significant.

a significance in my book would have to change essential characteristics about a person or an event. i.e. naruto unable to learn the rasengan, or garra losing to sasuke instead of naruto, or kakashi stopping kabuto at their first encounter. though no manga/anime difference has ever been remotely that great.

therefore, there are no significant differences.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 11:21   Link #50
ninja massacre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: hidden byhåla of Sweden!
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
I can say this much, I'd rather watch some anime then to read some manga because it's got music, color, and is animated. but i voted for the manga because it's a little bloodier than the anime, and the anime has fillers which are often very childish fillers. The manga is more serious then the anime (example): watch 25-26 the doubel episode and you will understand ewhat im talking about
__________________
Quote:
If you are a man, live it the way you won't regret. Protect whatever is important to you with these two arms, no matter how tough or sad it is, even if it costs you your life!
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 15:57   Link #51
Yuuki-kun
Tenten Fanboy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
I prefer the anime better, especially because of the more recent episodes. It seems to flesh out things the manga doesn't...as a Tenten fan, I was highly disappointed seeing the manga version of the chapter. At least Tenten is shown in the anime more...

And look...was there even a celebration for Tsunade in the manga? Not that I saw...showing her being really determined to help Lee, seeing Lee's recent interactions with Naruto and Sakura, I think it's all just great. The anime fleshes out the characters and situations more, which is why I like it more than the manga.
Yuuki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 16:11   Link #52
A.L.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Hmmmmm it seems that people like the manga more than the anime.

But just a question to the manga lovers:

Don't you feel that the music contributes greatly to the mood and emotion of the story?

I think it plays a huge part and i dont think i could imagine the naruto story/world without it.

I reckon they have awesome music played in the right times and it just makes things so much better in terms of emotions and feeling. Which is why i like to watch and hear rather than to just read the manga.

but then again i havent read any of the manga at all so yeah...
Acutally, it does! I'm a music lover so I love the universal feel of the mood of music. If I watched the Naruto raw, I could still know the situation just by listening to the mood of the music. The only thing I didn't like was how they did the music in the first episode. The music was just a sudden change to me so I was all like: WTF?

But I still like the manga better.

Oh, and does anyone but me notice that Tenten's beginning to look better drawn in the anime?
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 16:51   Link #53
yinstro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
i think the point behind people saying ove got imagination, is when you say color voices motion etc. your basically saying all anime is superior to manga. No one can argue with you if this is the deciding factor. But For me, when i read the manga and i see teh same scene in anime, and the execution of the scene is poor it makes me say ehhh. So for me, my imagination outweighs the color and motion that these guys choose, because from a few panels, kishimoto evoked a better feeling or action than the anime counterpart.
Also when they do a filler episode, and it seems so poorly written and ineptly directed that also bothers me. Any time the studio tries to completely wing it, it has usually been... weakly done.
Anyhow, as far as music, yea sometimes the music can evoke new feelings but sometimes it can be like errrr, IE tsunades techno pop boogie in the face of death. But really sometimes teh anime is great, other times its meh, the manga seems to be more balanced. im not saying abandon naruto anime, but the manga is a serious thrill. prolly your best way to see, read the 10 chapters from when they first return to konoha, then stop, watch the anime till it catches up, then decide how youd rather see it.
yinstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 17:37   Link #54
ninja massacre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: hidden byhåla of Sweden!
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
yeah the music is so f*cking great in naruto, it's got the right feel to it.
Does anyone know if toshira masuda have done any music to another anime?
__________________
Quote:
If you are a man, live it the way you won't regret. Protect whatever is important to you with these two arms, no matter how tough or sad it is, even if it costs you your life!
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 17:46   Link #55
eLstar
(^_^)v
 
Join Date: May 2003
I'm actually going allow this thread. Why you ask?

Well even though these threads NEVER have turned out good in the end, I'm willing to have a try one last time because at least this time it's a poll.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 17:55   Link #56
UserName
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljiraiya
Hmmmmm it seems that people like the manga more than the anime.

But just a question to the manga lovers:

Don't you feel that the music contributes greatly to the mood and emotion of the story?

I think it plays a huge part and i dont think i could imagine the naruto story/world without it.

I reckon they have awesome music played in the right times and it just makes things so much better in terms of emotions and feeling. Which is why i like to watch and hear rather than to just read the manga.

but then again i havent read any of the manga at all so yeah...
For question 1. I think the music of Naruto sucks... well not sucks but I don't like it so much. There are some themes I like, but anything remotely-rock/pop I don't like it at all. So it doesn't contribute in this case.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 22:21   Link #57
Gunboat Diplomat
Honey Flash!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Age: 40
It has been said before but I will say it again because no one seemed to notice this very important point and that is the anime suffers from terrible pacing.

The manga has much better pacing and it can afford to do so because, unlike the manga, it has no scheduling restraints. The anime must drag out the story as long as it can in fear of catching up with the manga. Even with it's horribly paced story, it has already caught up to the current manga story arc and, hence, the filler episodes that we are currently seeing.

Also, the animation in the anime isn't as good as the art in the manga. If you've never read the manga, you won't understand this criticism but there are many cases where the drawn manga scene looks really cool but the anime animated it rather poorly. For example, the Hakke Shou Kaiten looks really slick and powerfull in the manga but the animation is rather awkward and unimpressive.
Also, who can forgive the anime for not spinning the sharingan! It's not translated as the "copy wheel" eye for nothing--wheels turn...
Gunboat Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 00:51   Link #58
Kageryu
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
well ive read the manga at least 3 times over. but ive yet to see any significant deviations in the anime, from the manga. in my opinon, all the little extras can be smashed into 5 episodes minus the specials. if you can give me a significant difference where the difference clearly shows a difference in character, story direction, power level, motives, then i dont think you can say that its "completly wrong to say that its virtually the same. "



however, if you believe the anime and manga are virtually the same, then this rule doesnt apply, no book is ever the same as its movie counterpart, and this is why people who read the book first hate the movie. without pictures, and only words you can imagine a great many things. but clearly, manga does not equal novel. manga is 90% picture and 10% words, novels are 0% pictures and 100% words. im sure you can tell the difference.

also, if they are virtually the same, there is no need for imagination, unless like i also said ealier, you imagine a little song playing in the background, or you imagine different colors. but the pictures are very much the same pictures you see in the manga! the pictures in the manga dictate movement, and the anime brings it to life. in some episodes, the anime is even a "frame by frame" adaptation.

i just dont see how "'virtaully the same' in the case of Naruto that's completely wrong." is true at all...
well there is the fact that
Spoiler:
Kageryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 02:04   Link #59
skillosopher
Dr. J
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SD
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
I'm actually going allow this thread. Why you ask?

Well even though these threads NEVER have turned out good in the end, I'm willing to have a try one last time because at least this time it's a poll.
yeah. i actually started a manga vs. anime thread in the old forum...maybe a year ago. manga won last time too, and the thread diddnt turn out well

and...

i will admit...though i did state "virtually the same" before the airing of episode 100, the anime now is starting to take a big turn away form the manga and could possibly yeild dramatic differences. its these differences that seem to drive the anime lovers away form other series. we'll see how it turns out...
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 03:35   Link #60
WtFudgE
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
With all due respect, lotsa people here give positive and negative statements of both anime and manga, so why the fuck bother. I watch/read em both and i like em both. I like the manga cuz it doesn't have those annoying fillers and like a guy above here said: Naruto vs Kabuto is indeed one of the best examples.
But I also like the Anime cuz of the reasons said here before. So why bother chosing... You all watch/read and u will keep doing it, so i don't see the problem
Most of the people here will have read the manga of an episode before watching the anime. So you used your imagination at first, so you can't say u didn't do that. After waiting a period, the anime finally comes out, and don't tell me ur not a little excited about watching the anime, and it's not that u forgot about the manga or anything. So I have to say, I enjoy watching the anime and reading the manga.

Neji's mark in the manga is a Swastika (a.k.a Hitler's mark), how funny is that
WtFudgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.