AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-25, 11:53   Link #1
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Centurion (August 2010)

I have always liked movies about ancient battles ( especially about ancient Rome ) and this one looks interesting.

Plot:
A splinter group of Roman soldiers fight for their lives behind enemy lines after their legion is decimated in a devastating guerrilla attack.

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=centurion

http://www.centurionthemovie.co.uk/

Enjoy!!
Old 2010-06-25, 15:46   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, *could* be great stuff ..... but yeah, my expectations are low for ancient period movies anymore.

Notes on trailer:
1) Looks to be set in the Germanic tribe areas (or maybe eastern Gaul). The Alesia battle in 52BC left the Gallic and Germanic (scarier Kelts if you will) tribes fighting a guerilla war against the expansionist Romans.
2) Be interesting to see if how the Romans vs 'barbaric' tribes are portrayed (is there a "good guy" or will it accurately show the Imperialism vs tribal complexiities?).
3) Yes, women fought on the battlefield and sometimes had positions of authority on the "barbaric" sides -- this is something that terrified the Romans and their macho-patriarchal mind set and they wrote often of it in their histories and diaries.
4) Some good attention to detail in both Roman and Euro-barbarian dress/fashion as well as the battle tactics. This appears to be a British or European-made film under the WB umbrella, so I'm hoping for some extra authenticity because the film makers would care.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-06-25 at 16:10.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 17:32   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
1) Looks to be set in the Germanic tribe areas (or maybe eastern Gaul).
It's set in Scotland, so these will be the Celtic tribes (the Picts I think).

Quote:
2) Be interesting to see if how the Romans vs 'barbaric' tribes are portrayed (is there a "good guy" or will it accurately show the Imperialism vs tribal complexiities?).
Probably not. Marshall is great at making enemies for a small group to fight, but he's never really had the follow-through to make the enemies particularly interesting. So, expect extreme barbarians, possibly some cannibalism (even if that didn't happen), and buckets of gore.

Then again, with Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace) plays the lead villain in the film, and for a name actor to play the part implies some measure of fair play (i.e. equal attention will be bestowed on the tribes as on the Romans).

Quote:
4) Some good attention to detail in both Roman and Euro-barbarian dress/fashion as well as the battle tactics. This appears to be a British or European-made film under the WB umbrella, so I'm hoping for some extra authenticity because the film makers would care.
As I eluded to earlier, the director of the film is British director Neil Marshall, best known for the great horror films The Descent and Dog Soldiers. His last film, Doomsday, was kind of bad, so here's hoping he can reclaim some of that spirit he had with his far superior earlier efforts. (Supposedly, the film is also based on "real events".)

Also kind of happy that Noel Clarke (of Dr. Who fame) is in the film...too bad he will be the prerequisite black man that has to die before the film ends....
james0246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 18:56   Link #4
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

After watching the trailer myself I believe that the main female barbaric leader could be Queen Boudica, the famous Celtic female warrior that led her army in a fierce campaign against the Romans but ultimately lost.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:41   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, stupid of me to spout off before checking the movie out more closely. I saw the forest and type of gear and just assumed the ancient forests of Germany or thereabouts. Kelts were known for bleaching and braiding their hair and were novel for wearing pants (either sex).
Reading James's and Kankel's posts leave me simultaneously hopeful yet cynical. boudica died around 60AD so they'd have to be playing fast and loose with the timeline to have her around in 117AD (like that'd be a surprise to have a film do that ).

I'd really like to see a proper film about Gaul, Kelts, Norse, and the Germanic tribes rather than the Roman Empire's propagandist fantasies of them.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:57   Link #6
Xion Valkyrie

Looks pretty good from the trailer at least. I laughed at the "It's a TRAP" part though. Need something to wash away the bad taste of the last couple of big medieval blockbusters.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 01:41   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The entire Geek world erupted in laughter at "Its a TRAP!" .... hopefully that's not in the released film but it was certainly funny.
Regards to Admiral Ackbar.