AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-26, 12:10   Link #241
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
It's not confirmed if she do not say it through. The only thing she said is "Thank you" which hardly means Yes or No. After all she's there to pay her gratitude
She said "yes" every time he asked her to stay with him forever. I don't see how it can get more obvious than that.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:11   Link #242
chingensai
NOM NOM NOM~~
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
My question is... How did Kanade ever learn how to do those Guard Skills ??? O___O... Star Trek otaku?
chingensai is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:14   Link #243
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
She said "yes" every time he asked her to stay with him forever. I don't see how it can get more obvious than that.
She said "Yes" while knowing she will disappear. How can it count like that?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:16   Link #244
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
She said "Yes" while knowing she will disappear. How can it count like that?
Because she wouldn't disappear if it wasn't true.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:17   Link #245
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Romania
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
WTF? That has got to be one of the worst resolutions to an anime that I've ever seen.

So did Kanade get Otonashi's heart in her past life after Otonashi died? But she was in this afterlife waaay before Otonashi came. How the hell does that make sense?
Maybe the whole world was created by god for Otonashi and evrything was a lie to help him reincarnate. makes no sense indeed
__________________
DarkWish is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:18   Link #246
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Because she wouldn't disappear if it wasn't true.
Well, my mistake, she didn't say "Yes" to be with him forever. So i guess that your argument is invalid

Well she is there to pay her gratitude. She did it and even know her savior loves her. Why does she need to stay then?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:23   Link #247
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
The first half was shite. Kanade was far less Kuudere all of a sudden. Yuri was far too shy and nervous all of a sudden. She went from Type A Tsundere in Track Zero to Type B Tsundere in this episode. All the SSS team disappearing beforehand is total BS. The whole ceremony was pure CHEESE.

The second half was reasonable better. I don't care about Otonashi deciding to stay. If others wanted to then they would've said something, and Otonashi would've accepted that. The plot twist with Kanade was a good idea but clearly not thought through properly and the execution was rubbish. Totally cheesy and melodramatic.

But overall this is very poor conclusion to an otherwise decent series.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2010-06-26 at 13:16.
Haak is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:26   Link #248
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Well, my mistake, she didn't say "Yes" to be with him forever. So i guess that argument is invalid
Yes, she did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Well she is there to pay her gratitude. She did it and even know her savior loves her. Why does she need to stay then?
You do know that she can still be in love with Otonashi and want to experience life, right? She's not leaving because she doesn't love him, she's leaving because she wants to put what he's taught her into practice. She can want to be with him forever and still realize that sort of thing is impossible.

It's like asking "why did Yui vanish when Hinata proposed?" Because she was fulfilled, obviously. Kanade didn't disappear right after she explained why she was there. She vanished after hearing Otonashi tell her he loved her, over and over again.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:33   Link #249
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Alright, I've recovered since I saw the anime at 3 am. Now to make more coherent sense....

Anyhow, the antics for the graduation were not bad, and as usual we have a lot of cuteness from Yuri and Kanade. Yuri's acting a bit different but that's because she's finally relaxed and almost done with this world. It's fine, since she's no longer at war. I'd really like her to have more resolution to her, but that's fine.

Of course, the bad part was everyone else disappearing off screen. I really believe they could have been loyal enough to wait a bit longer and take a bigger risk. It would have been so much better if they were a large group just leaving together and you kinda wonder what the point of it was.

So they disappear, not too bad. But the Otonanshi suddenly goes back on his shit and wants to stay behind. WAT? Now, I do realize the sudden revelation does really affect one's mind and maybe he just realized it too late, but the confession just came out at the wrong place. and wrong timing and made him look kinda selfish. Though, then again, maybe it was time for him to be selfish.

Now, I actually like the heart twist. It felt very sweet and I can feel for them. All these feelings being hidden along were revealed and it was quite emotional-- it also explains the title and makes the story kinda go full circle from a certain perspective. Problem was the way she disappeared and had Otonashi standing around made it seem way too bitter-- the story seemed to be missing a step and reminds of an ending to another anime's season. Yes, the very end shows happiness in the next life, and the credits shows that otonashi disappears too, but there's something missing here. I felt as left out before the credits as I did when I watched the ending of season 1 to Umineko... and Angel Beats is supposed to end here. Gah.

5/10 There's some genuinely good stuff here, like the feelings between Kanade and Yuzuru, and Hinata was great here as well. Unfortunately for every good thing this episode does, it also did something equally as bad to cancel it out. All I can say is good idea, terrible execution. It just landed with a thud and that's just not the way to go.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:35   Link #250
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Yes, she did.
Check the ep. I have just done it and pretty sure she did not .

I rather not go deep into this through. It's hard to change your mind if you have already set it
Quote:
You do know that she can still be in love with Otonashi and want to experience life, right? She's not leaving because she doesn't love him, she's leaving because she wants to put what he's taught her into practice. She can want to be with him forever and still realize that sort of thing is impossible.

It's like asking "why did Yui vanish when Hinata proposed?" Because she was fulfilled, obviously. Kanade didn't disappear right after she explained why she was there. She vanished after hearing Otonashi tell her he loved her, over and over again.
She can but she don't have to. And the Yui case is different since she said it outright and we even see the what-if scenario. Even the director (or was it writer?) confirmed their relationship.

Yuri for example won't disappear until she both satisfy and decide to go. Same to Hinata and Naoi. So why expect something else from Kanade. It's not that hard for a person to move on when they fulfilled their regret. Really
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:38   Link #251
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Check the ep. I have just done it and pretty sure she did not .
I saw the episode myself, and I remember it clearly. I don't know if you watched it subtitled or not, but I can't imagine what they put to make it seem like she wasn't saying "un", aka "yes".
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:40   Link #252
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Romania
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Yes its true she didnt say yes, but she said "Let me beleve what you allways beleved. That living is wonderfull".

But saying yes was pointless , in that world they dont grow ,they dont die. Nothing happens and they only have a school to live at , whats the point wanting to be with her in that world forever. I doubt Kanade wouldnt want to be with him forever.. she would , but she would want it in the real world.

Edit: i think it was a huh? or hum? not a um >.>
__________________

Last edited by DarkWish; 2010-06-26 at 12:52.
DarkWish is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:44   Link #253
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I saw the episode myself, and I remember it clearly. I don't know if you watched it subtitled or not, but I can't imagine what they put to make it seem like she wasn't saying "un", aka "yes".
So you didn't watch the sub? Oh well i will just remind you then.

He asked her to stay with him forever. She gave it a pause then just say "Thank you" and the "living is wonderful" part . Then he go on a string of "I love you". And that's your "unn" there when she confirmed that she understand his feeling, and said "Thank you", "Thank you for loving me..."

Just like i said before only Otonashi's affection was officially confirmed and in fact I believe Kanade does not really love him (yet). But well some people may think they have great chemistry and will be together like your case.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:53   Link #254
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Romania
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So you didn't watch the sub? Oh well i will just remind you then.

He asked her to stay with him forever. She gave it a pause then just say "Thank you" and the "living is wonderful" part . Then he go on a string of I love you. And that's your "unn" there when she confirmed that she understand his feeling, and said "Thank you", "Thank you for loving me..."

Just like i said before only Otonashi's affection was officially confirmed and in fact I believe Kanade does not really love him (yet). But well some people may think they have great chemistry and will be together like your case.
i think thats a better way of puting what i just wanted to say .
__________________
DarkWish is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 12:59   Link #255
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Wow, talk about mixed opinions. o__o

I thought aspects of the ending felt forced but it was watchable and emotional and in spite of its many flaws which I acknowledge and which I do wish were fixed, I still enjoyed following this series.

Now to toss my 2 cents into a handful of the things people keep complaining about because I actually didn't see most of these plot holes:


1. The flow of time thing. I don't see what the big deal is. If time is a dimension, just like the 3 spatial dimensions, then when you travel between two worlds you could end up anywhere in space and anywhere in time. Maybe you'll end up closer to the time you were at in the other world, but there could be lots of random variation (hence why most of them are from the modern era but Kanade apparently came to the world earlier). Or maybe there ARE people from the past, and they just adapted to the modern setting. Nobody explained why Noda has a halberd or why Shiina has crazy ninja skillz. (okay, I haven't read the novels. Maybe that point is invalid)

2. Otonashi wanted to stay in the afterlife and spend eternity helping other people reach their peace... instead of going to his peace himself. I actually thought that was... unselfish. Okay, yeah, and he wanted to do so by the side of the girl he loved, but can you blame him for wanting a companion? And I can't imagine Kanade would be against the idea, considering, um, she'd been doing the exact same thing for years already.

3. Kanade gets Otonashi's heart as a young child, lives on into her teens, then dies, probably from complications (as a heart transplant patient I'd imagine she'd have a sickly body even after the operation). The subs I watched said "the person who gave me my adolescence" so somehow I immediately came to the conclusion I just mentioned. But they're all dead. Nobody's in a coma and Kanade is not in one extended near-death experience. As for the whole "your heart is beating in my chest" thing... yeah, kinda squick, but kinda sweet, and honestly I don't mind throwing the writers a bone or two for poetic license. *shrug* Call it a plot hole if you want.
__________________
Raiga is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 13:01   Link #256
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So you didn't watch the sub? Oh well i will just remind you then.
Just rewatched. It's there.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 13:05   Link #257
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Romania
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Im not complaining about anything , it was perfect .

Oh and i think Otonashi didnt want to stay in the world , he wanted to be with kanade and was scared of loseing her and never meet again. Thats when the ending pops up and he actualy meets her...
__________________
DarkWish is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 13:14   Link #258
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
W
1. The flow of time thing. I don't see what the big deal is. If time is a dimension, just like the 3 spatial dimensions, then when you travel between two worlds you could end up anywhere in space and anywhere in time. Maybe you'll end up closer to the time you were at in the other world, but there could be lots of random variation (hence why most of them are from the modern era but Kanade apparently came to the world earlier). Or maybe there ARE people from the past, and they just adapted to the modern setting. Nobody explained why Noda has a halberd or why Shiina has crazy ninja skillz. (okay, I haven't read the novels. Maybe that point is invalid)

2. Otonashi wanted to stay in the afterlife and spend eternity helping other people reach their peace... instead of going to his peace himself. I actually thought that was... unselfish. Okay, yeah, and he wanted to do so by the side of the girl he loved, but can you blame him for wanting a companion? And I can't imagine Kanade would be against the idea, considering, um, she'd been doing the exact same thing for years already.

3. Kanade gets Otonashi's heart as a young child, lives on into her teens, then dies, probably from complications (as a heart transplant patient I'd imagine she'd have a sickly body even after the operation). The subs I watched said "the person who gave me my adolescence" so somehow I immediately came to the conclusion I just mentioned. But they're all dead. Nobody's in a coma and Kanade is not in one extended near-death experience. As for the whole "your heart is beating in my chest" thing... yeah, kinda squick, but kinda sweet, and honestly I don't mind throwing the writers a bone or two for poetic license. *shrug* Call it a plot hole if you want.
For 1, Noda got his halberd from underground Guild. There was a whole weapon storage down there when they first discovered it (and Yuri actually fought with a western sword in one hand and a katana in another back then, quite awesome ). And for 2, well she disagreed , didn't she...?

I don't believe the final two are Kanade and Otonashi through. Because i'm a fan of When They Cry series, and that obviously an alternative world

@musouka: As mentioned. If you rewatched and still do not change your my mind, then I probably will not try that also
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 13:17   Link #259
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Now, it was 3 AM when I was watching this, but what I made of that scene was that Kanade physically couldn't stay because if she were to love Otonashi that would fulfill her and make her disappear, since she still abides by the rules of the world, whereas Otonashi could stay around as long as he pleased because he was kind of a glitch anyway.
__________________
Raiga is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 13:22   Link #260
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
whereas Otonashi could stay around as long as he pleased because he was kind of a glitch anyway.
The only glitch is that he ended up here due to amnesia. The only reason he was here before his amnesia was because he didn't realise he lived a fullfulling life. The only reason he still stayed after getting his memories back was because he wouldn't feel fullfilled until he helped absolutely everyone. That does essentially mean he can stay around forever but because of his motivations, not because of the glitch.
__________________
Haak is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.