AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-26, 18:12   Link #1121
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
I do like some philosophic things but I see none here at all.

"Oh no! the world will end if Haruhi won't eat ice crem right now! Kyon, go buy her ice cream, NOW!"

How is that scientific and philosophic? Just because we have some random alien, time traveler and god knows who else doesn't make series good either. They actually embrace those kind of scientific things since I didn't see a lamer time traveler till now... The alien is at least smart.

As to why Asakura is better, as I mentioned above she is not two dimensenal as everyone else. She actually has personality and even if she is programed it still looks far more natural than everyone else. She also brings different colour to the series... mostly red... but at least something that spices up that boring atmosphere which was almost the same through thout whole series.

The only episodes that really interested me were on the island. Everything else I could have easily over slept and wouldn't miss a thing.

I really will better watch a show with some spoiled rich brat, at least there is some kind of reason as to why they think they are better than others... they have money and power on their side!
What does Haruhi have? Nothing, she is a normal kid as everyone else who doesn't present anything of what she could be proud of and what would allow her to look down on someone.

To be fair Haruhi deserves a huge spanking, maybe then she finally will gain brains and won't be so annoying.


0utf0xZer0
Maybe, but I still have no wish to bother with it...
It was hard enough to watch Guren Lagan which was so hyped...
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-06-26, 21:13   Link #1122
idiffer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
translated quote from a russian forum -
"you know, all the while watching haruhi i couldnt shake the desire to bend her over a table and fuck the brains out of that bitch"
while i love haruhi for unexplainable reasons, i find that quote very fitting. not in the sexual context, but rather in the "angry, pissed, annoyed with haruhi" context.
i hate Blue literature. its boring. because its based on classic literature...
i hate some other popular anime, just dont remember right now.
__________________
My posts seem retarted? I invoke the freedomof choice upon thee to choose one of the below.
a) Iím batshit insane or mentally challenged. Nyan!
b) Wasu~p?! *brofist*
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!

Last edited by idiffer; 2010-06-26 at 21:24.
idiffer is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 02:47   Link #1123
Kameruka
Hen-Tie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hen-Tie pen
Ouran and many tasteless shoujo.
Kameruka is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 16:05   Link #1124
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Age: 31
@kitten320:

I didn't like The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya either, but that doesn't make it a bad anime. Don't trash the whole series and redicule what poeple like about it just because you didn't like it.

People are allowed to like something that wasn't very well made, or hate something that was perfectly done. Why do people set thier tastes as global standards against which things should be measured.

I watched Haruhi, and I could tell from almost every aspect I'm aware of (directing, art, story, characters, etc.) that it was more than just "well made", and unfortunately it didn't come to my liking. Simply, not my cup of tea, as they say. I admit it's a good anime that I didn't enjoy, in the same way I admit Innitial D was a horrifyingly made anime that I liked so much.
__________________
The Day I Breach Through The Sealed Door To The Underground Shelves Of Forbidden Scrolls & Read a Manga ... I Shall Commit Seppuku
Samurai dono is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 17:47   Link #1125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
@kitten320:

I didn't like The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya either, but that doesn't make it a bad anime. Don't trash the whole series and redicule what poeple like about it just because you didn't like it.

People are allowed to like something that wasn't very well made, or hate something that was perfectly done. Why do people set thier tastes as global standards against which things should be measured.

I watched Haruhi, and I could tell from almost every aspect I'm aware of (directing, art, story, characters, etc.) that it was more than just "well made", and unfortunately it didn't come to my liking. Simply, not my cup of tea, as they say. I admit it's a good anime that I didn't enjoy, in the same way I admit Innitial D was a horrifyingly made anime that I liked so much.
I believe that's my real issue.. its not the opinion that grates, its the assertion of an opinion on a subjective analysis as "fact and you're idiot if you think different".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320
I do like some philosophic things but I see none here at all.
So, you missed the discussions on reality, existentialism, multiple points-of-view, passivity vs action in event analysis. You ignored the entire Oncology Thread in the SHnY subforum (dozens of pages) which discussed the philosophies, physics, and various science fiction motifs used in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320
Asakura is not two dimensenal as everyone else. She actually has personality and even if she is programed it still looks far more natural than everyone else.
This is an assertion for which you provided no evidence other than your assertion that it is true. Therefore, its simply an unsubstantiated opinion. You still haven't explained *why* you hold this opinion - but as I said earlier, this isn't the forum thread for that. As far as we can tell, you simply *liked* her, she clicked on an emotional level and the others did not.

I could dissect the rest of the post, but the point is, it is fine to have an opinion and it is fine for it be carefully thought out or simply an irrational emotional belief. Just don't state it as some kind of "fact" which inherently implies anyone who thinks differently is a fool. You don't like the series, that's fine. You may have some specific aspects of it that didn't appeal to you, that's fine. But don't start pulling smoke out of thin air that can be factually countered. And don't denigrate others to feel more secure in your antipathy towards a series.

Actually, I rather like the quote idiffer found on a russian forum .... it explains the poster's ambivalent feelings toward the series quite graphically without stabbing anyone else.
Quote:
"you know, all the while watching haruhi i couldnt shake the desire to bend her over a table and fuck the brains out of that bitch"
The worst thing a series can do is evoke apathy or banality .... series that evoke strong emotions are better remembered and more successful.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-06-27 at 18:01.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 17:54   Link #1126
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Why can't I trash something that I completly didn't like? I have same right to it as praising something I liked. Both opinions are equel and if one can be expressed so can be the other. It is called balance.

I wasn't offending those who like it, have I? I didn't say that those who watch Haruhi are fools, though I really don't get why series are so high in popularity when there are much better shows. But then again it can be appliead to Bleach and Naruto too. And thread clearly says that you are allowed to talk here about anime you HATE! And I doubt that a lot of nice words are associated with word hate.

I just stated the obviouse, I see nothing clever and funny about it. It is exactly the same thing as watching story about spoiled rich kid and her/his not existing parents and servants who keep spoiling her/him in order to keep the job.
Here she is spoiled so the world would not end (aka getting fired) and her servants are aliens and all other scientific stuff.

Exactly the same plot only that author had added some scientific words and slight elements in order to cover the obviouse.

Please tell me what is so clever and phsycological about this show that I didn't notice?

EDIT:
Vexx
Oh wow... we have several realities! How smart! Is that it?
How lame Bleach wouldn't be but I prefer it take about different worlds (human world, SS, HM and Hell world) far more. Or at least it was presented in far better way.

And even if there was said something smart about that topic in series, it must have been explained in such boring way that it completly passed by without me noticing it.

Oh come on...
Spoiler for Possible haruhi spoilers:


If you don't want to disscuss it here you can PM me or just drop this topic all together.
__________________

Last edited by kitten320; 2010-06-27 at 18:19.
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 18:11   Link #1127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
As long as you realize it is your opinion and stop stating your opinion as if it were concrete fact, I'm fine with it. However, you keep crossing that line by asserting things as facts that are pretty clearly opinions.

Opinion: I see nothing clever and funny about it. I have no issue with that statement, its a statement of your feelings toward the series.
Assertion: I do like some philosophic things but I see none here at all. This statement is basically unsupported and can actually be refuted. Since the philosophy and science fiction is what drew many viewers to the show, you're on thin air there.

For example, I could rip your character assessment to shreds ... or I could validate them with more specific reasons and even rip Asakura to shreds as well using the same technique. You've simply selected to simplify some descriptions and expand on others. Each character is a rough sketch in a series with many shorthand directing techniques that let the viewer fill-in-the-blanks to create a whole persona in their minds.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-06-27 at 18:24.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 18:28   Link #1128
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
"I do like some philosophic things but I see none here at all." it is my opinion same way as what you put as example above. I said "I" there what means my opinion. I didn't say "Stop lying, there is no scientific and philosophic stuff included".

I really don't mind you trying to show me how those characters are any better than Askaura. Really, you can try me. But I doubt that anything will change, though I do want to know what makes those characters interesting in other eyes since I myself see completly nothing. It is like looking at the wall for me.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 18:54   Link #1129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Its probably actually easier to tear Asakura down than to discuss the others because:
Quote:
Each character is a rough sketch in a series with many shorthand directing techniques that let the viewer fill-in-the-blanks to create a whole persona in their minds.
You don't even bother to name most of them

Spoiler for Haruhi spoiler character descriptions:


Now.... this isn't intended to actually change your opinion... only to show that your characterizations were purposefully incomplete to justify your emotional reactions.

You say you "see no philosophy at all" ... that's not an opinion, that's an observation. It is like saying "I see no grass on this lawn". An observation that can be refuted since the various philosophies, physics, et al have been documented and even listed as such within the series (e.g. when Itsuki explains his faction's philosophy for How The Universe Works ... or when Yuki explains hers.. or when Mikuru explains hers ...). Really, stick to the more defendable aspects.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 19:09   Link #1130
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
If I got that quote right... it is implying to make characters OOC? What was the point of creating them at all then? And as far as I know, the moment you make character OOC, everyone are un-happy...

Mikuri - basicly what I said, nothing special just squeling girl. Except her matured side, but everyone changes when matured... big thanks for that!

Itsuki - once again exactly what I said, nothing special. Does nothing except spoiling Haruhi and doing his work. Only that you have put it in smarter words than me.

You haven't mentioned anything that I didn't.

Those few lines about Asakura still were giving more angles to look at her from than those above.

Then those descriptions were done in such poor way that they didn't affect me one bit. That's actually the only fantasy, their words. I can easily read that in encyclopedia, would give the same feeling.

But still thanks for more detailed information, I appricate it
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 19:17   Link #1131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
My goal really isn't to change your opinion... but I like it when someone can articulate their opinion and provide a substantive basis for it. It gives them an edge when cussing and discussing in threads.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2010-06-27, 19:22   Link #1132
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Yeh I know what you mean but my english is slightly limited so sometimes it is hard to find right words...
Actually I'm not really good at description at all, I'm much better at word play
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2010-06-28, 04:09   Link #1133
Vantek
Asleep Being
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
You say you "see no philosophy at all" ... that's not an opinion, that's an observation.
Disregarding definitions and logical formalities, I don't feel that kitten has expressed anything but a personal opinion in this thread.

By the way, this is actually a statement of 100% fact. Even if you later demonstrate to me that kitten was expressing anything but a personal opinion, it will not change the fact of how I felt as I wrote this post
Vantek is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 11:53   Link #1134
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Elfen Lied.

This is basically a troll post. So instead I'll stick it in a single layer spoiler tag. If you like Nyuu/Lucy - don't open. For those ready for a heavily opinionated post, feel free to open.



Spoiler for Don't read if you like:
Arbitres is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 12:03   Link #1135
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Elfen Lied.

This is basically a troll post. So instead I'll stick it in a single layer spoiler tag. If you like Nyuu/Lucy - don't open. For those ready for a heavily opinionated post, feel free to open.



Spoiler for Don't read if you like:
same here lol

i also hate elfin lied, Haruhi and Ghost in a shell.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 12:25   Link #1136
Vantek
Asleep Being
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Elfen Lied.

This is basically a troll post. So instead I'll stick it in a single layer spoiler tag. If you like Nyuu/Lucy - don't open. For those ready for a heavily opinionated post, feel free to open.



Spoiler for Don't read if you like:
Spoiler for elfen lied:
Vantek is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 12:41   Link #1137
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Didn't expect someone to bring that up that quickly. My, Vantek is quite quick.

Spoiler for Elfen Lied:
Arbitres is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 13:00   Link #1138
Vantek
Asleep Being
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Um, I was just sincerely asking how much you would have liked the series better if she would not have been forgiven.

I basically agree with you. I didn't like that she was forgiven either, for the exact same reasons. I'm just wondering how much you would have liked the show if she hadn't been. I would find it surprising if that was your only reason for disliking the series.
Vantek is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 13:10   Link #1139
Arbitres
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Oh? You weren't going to attack me? What a welcome change for once. Excuse me, it was a force of habit.

I would have preferred anything really -- long as she didn't come out as a karma houdini I'd be fine with it.

Her dying wouldn't have made anything right. The best ending I could think of that was as excessively cruel as her would be.... Her ending up the same place she started at - albeit unable to escape this time with higher technological securing ensuring she'd remain prisoned.

Bah. Sorry the misunderstanding.
Arbitres is offline  
Old 2010-07-02, 13:13   Link #1140
Vantek
Asleep Being
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Haha, np ^^

How much do you think you would have liked the series if it would have ended the way you suggest?
Vantek is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.