AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2004-09-10, 11:05   Link #1
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
Anime licensed = manga version automatically licensed?

Every so often, a list of new anime licenses is made public, but does that automatically mean their manga versions are licensed as well? I was just wondering, because I've got my eyes on a couple newly released titles (Tokyo Underground, E's Otherwise, Overman King Gainer among them) and was hoping their manga counterparts would be coming to U.S. shores as well. Although, the OKG manga is more likely than not to ever be licensed since it doesn't seem to be as widely circulated as other manga.

Just a curious question. ^.^;;
Old 2004-09-10, 11:58   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
No, manga are licensed from a seperate entity.

They are wholly independent, as we can see shows that have a manga version have had parts licensed by different companies. Tokyopop has the Karekano manga while RightStuf has the anime.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 12:03   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi-chan
Every so often, a list of new anime licenses is made public, but does that automatically mean their manga versions are licensed as well? I was just wondering, because I've got my eyes on a couple newly released titles (Tokyo Underground, E's Otherwise, Overman King Gainer among them) and was hoping their manga counterparts would be coming to U.S. shores as well. Although, the OKG manga is more likely than not to ever be licensed since it doesn't seem to be as widely circulated as other manga.
In general cases the license of an anime series doesn't mean the manga is licensed as well.

They are two entirely separate issues and the contracts have to be sorted out independently. I'm sure there are many cases where the two are resolved together and both anime and manga are licensed during the same negotiations (more likely when it's the same company licensing both) but there's no reason why they have to be.

Curses, beaten to the punch by microlith
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 14:36   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

while it's not automatic, if a company like Viz or ADV license it (2 companies that tend to license both) they'll generally try to pick up the manga as well
Old 2004-09-11, 14:52   Link #5
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
Ah, okay. That makes enough sense. So I guess I'll have to wait a bit for those manga to be licensed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
while it's not automatic, if a company like Viz or ADV license it (2 companies that tend to license both) they'll generally try to pick up the manga as well
Well, I wish it hadn't worked that way with TokyoPop and Rave. They did a decent job with the manga, save the lame curse word cover-ups like "greck," "deuce," and "snap," but the anime...freak, Bob Bucholtz just needs to be fired forever. >.<*
Old 2004-09-12, 16:23   Link #6
Cukensclan

yugioh?

Is the Yu-Gi-Oh-manga licensed?
Cukensclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 16:33   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cukensclan
Errrr, yes it is. For a while now.

If you have a look at the American Manga Release Schedule sticky (found in this forum), you will see that Viz have recently released Vol 6.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 01:31   Link #8
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cukensclan
i think it's safe to say that anything besides the original series with the name "Yu Gi Oh" in the title is officially licensed
even the crappy toys are licensed (who cares if they're japanese or american...they suck, hell almost everything about Yu Gi Oh sucks, the manga at least is readable though...though i can't tell if the whole "Capmon" thing is a parody or something serious)
Old 2004-09-14, 02:40   Link #9
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Speaking of which... I've been scratching my brains for this peice of trivia...
Can someone name an anime which has been licensed that is based upon a manga that is not licensed?

I'm not talking about those mangas that were written after the anime which retells the story.
________
SUBARU SRD-1 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:55.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 05:03   Link #10
Keldran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Can someone name an anime which has been licensed that is based upon a manga that is not licensed?

I'm not talking about those mangas that were written after the anime which retells the story.

Well there's quite a few cases where the anime was licensed first and the manga followed due to the popularity of the anime, such as Fruits Basket, Akira, Trigun and Kenshin. Also Kimagure Orange Road has definitely not seen a domestic manga license while the anime has been around for awhile now. I think Full Metal Alchemist isn't licensed in manga form but I'm not sure if the anime is based on the comic or vice versa (hey I'm no expert on that series).
Keldran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 22:53   Link #11
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Ah. I totally forgot about KOR and FB.
________
Toyota Fj Cruiser Specifications

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:57.
Old 2004-09-15, 11:49   Link #12
RecklessFire

Quote:

There are quite a few of those. Although lately manga have been getting licensed a lot more...

Here, I'll list a few licensed anime based on unlicensed manga:

E's Otherwise

Fullmetal Alchemist (to Keldran: Fullmetal Alchemist is indeed based on a manga. It's not the same, though. The anime had gradually getting farther and farther away from the original storyline of the manga. As a matter of fact, the manga had launched into a whole new story arc anyway. In the beginning they were similar but now they have almost nothing in common story-wise.)

Tsukihime (actually, I'm not sure if the anime is based on the manga or vice versa... anyone know?)

Fighting Spirit (Hajime no Ippo)

Dragon Drive

Soul Hunter (Houshin Engi) [correct me if I'm wrong, I think it's based on the manga]

Spiral (spiral: suiri no kizuna)

Gokusen

I'll/CKBC (i'll: generation basket)

Someday's Dreamers (mahoutsukai ni taisetsu na koto)

There may be more, or I may be mistaken about some...
RecklessFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 15:13   Link #13
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessFire
Tsukihime (actually, I'm not sure if the anime is based on the manga or vice versa... anyone know?)
Weren't the manga and anime both based on the game?
jalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 16:05   Link #14
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Tsukihime is based upon an H-Game. I think the game (producer) was listed in the credits.
________
Razor

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:59.
Old 2004-09-16, 09:10   Link #15
Kyuven

Quote:
Ah. I totally forgot about KOR and FB.
Fruits Basket manga is licensed by Tokyopop (and has actually been one of their better releases thank god)
and yes, Tsukihime was based on an H-game (and they have several spin offs including the manga, anime series, additional add on games, and even a fighting game)
Hajime no Ippo's manga has also yet to see an american release (though i anticipate it will eventually, it's not UNpopular...an understatement i guess)
i believe Dragon Half's manga also hasn't been licensed
and i'm shocked that ADV has yet to pick up Houshin Engi...i find it to be a really engrossing story (better than the anime, since it tells the story in eons better detail, with tons more characters)
Old 2004-09-17, 18:16   Link #16
RecklessFire

woops, my mistake. I actually did know that about Tsukihime already... I guess I forgot. sorry. XD

Yeah... Dragon Half is not licensed... neither is Jubei-chan. Does anyone know if Jubei-chan is based on the manga, or what? All I know is they have different endings. I haven't read the manga.
RecklessFire is offline   Reply With Quote