AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Amagami SS

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-25, 15:58   Link #1121
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
Spoiler for the plan:
You know, I think you're on to something here. I didn't think of it this way but that totally makes sense, especially with how she acted once they got to the room. She's much more calculating than she lets on.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 16:04   Link #1122
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach shores!
But you have to admit, that she can rock your socks. I'd probably be doing the same thing Junichi is doing lol.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 16:11   Link #1123
wingman32x
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 25
Well, well, Haruka's arc actually turned out alright at the end of the day. As far as the grandparents "Not being there", I too think it is in the realm of possiblity that Haruka planned that. I liked the way things wrapped up. Haruka finally told Juinchi how she felt, and we saw a side of her that we didn't see a lot of. She was actually really insecure and nervous concerning things about Juinchi. Which came as a slight surprise to me since we only saw small bits of it via phone conversations with Hibiki. The timeskip was a nice bonus that I wasn't really expecting. It was nice to see that they got married. Overall, Haruka was quite a solid character all things considered, and her arc turned out to be enjoyable.

Now bring on Karou!
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 16:38   Link #1124
Itlandm
Porcupine
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norway
Age: 55
I like that scene where they discuss the death of her dog in the context of the two of them meeting. It gives another angle on the story.

According to one Buddhist book I read, which was translated from Japanese, people can be influenced by animal spirits if their minds are on a similar level.

I am not sure how widespread this belief actually is in Japan - it seems to be a country that has left religion behind to a large degree - but I notice that Haruka at least believes that her dog would not want her to be sad. So this implies that she thought her dog still took an interest in her life, even after his death.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 18:02   Link #1125
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Well, well, Haruka's arc actually turned out alright at the end of the day. As far as the grandparents "Not being there", I too think it is in the realm of possiblity that Haruka planned that. I liked the way things wrapped up. Haruka finally told Juinchi how she felt, and we saw a side of her that we didn't see a lot of. She was actually really insecure and nervous concerning things about Juinchi. Which came as a slight surprise to me since we only saw small bits of it via phone conversations with Hibiki.
Well, I think they dropped a couple more hints of this kind. Like Haruka dragging him away from the others. Her irritation about the poor compatibility score. Her reaction to Junichi's quiet swimsuit gawking - she wasn't playful-confident like during the swim club scene, but tense, and she scolded him for not complimenting her immediately. Her jealousy when she thought he was ogling other girls. Compared to earlier, when she was fully relaxed and in control, she was much more short-tempered and insecure later. I think they handled this development pretty well.

Quote:
The timeskip was a nice bonus that I wasn't really expecting. It was nice to see that they got married. Overall, Haruka was quite a solid character all things considered, and her arc turned out to be enjoyable.
I agree. The timeskip will be quite interesting for several other characters.

Now bring on Karou![/QUOTE]

I loved serenade beta's nickname for her ^_^ ... Wakame (seaweed)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:23   Link #1126
darkspyder4
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
My thoughts on this arc:

It was nice. The whole love thing between them two was funny and interesting. It was also nice those little things before when she actually confessed her emotions towards him was nice as well (dragging him to places, "spoiling" herself lol) was nice planning. I never expected that this arc would end so quickly. Is it because the other arcs should have equal episodes as well or is it like this in the Ps2 game? Other than that, im gonna enjoy this series. Cant wait for next arc!
__________________
"Nothing's ever easy- I just make it look that way."

"Love, Hate, Respect."
darkspyder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:30   Link #1127
taelrak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Yea 4 episode arcs seem just a tad rushed.

I definitely think they should have gone for 6-episode arcs and only done 4 girls (Tsukasa, Haruka, Ai, Kaoru).
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:36   Link #1128
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
and only done 4 girls
Well, that's hypothetically unfair.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 20:46   Link #1129
wingman32x
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, I think they dropped a couple more hints of this kind. Like Haruka dragging him away from the others. Her irritation about the poor compatibility score. Her reaction to Junichi's quiet swimsuit gawking - she wasn't playful-confident like during the swim club scene, but tense, and she scolded him for not complimenting her immediately. Her jealousy when she thought he was ogling other girls. Compared to earlier, when she was fully relaxed and in control, she was much more short-tempered and insecure later. I think they handled this development pretty well.
True, but even then I didn't expect her to have a mini-breakdown. People react to things like this in various ways, depending on the person. With Haruka I didn't expect that reaction. In my eyes I saw those actions as typical BF/GF kind of things. So I was surprised to find out that it actually wore on Haruka that much to the point where she would cry about it.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 22:48   Link #1130
ueXia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
True, but even then I didn't expect her to have a mini-breakdown. People react to things like this in various ways, depending on the person. With Haruka I didn't expect that reaction. In my eyes I saw those actions as typical BF/GF kind of things. So I was surprised to find out that it actually wore on Haruka that much to the point where she would cry about it.
It's quite easy, maybe it wasn't explicit in the anime itself (putting my bucks that it was explained in the game).
Haruka considered them as a "couple", because she had a guy that had already confessed TWICE to her, and she likes him back. So she's only trying hard not to mess it up doing something and fail (as if Junichi would care).
ueXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 00:34   Link #1131
Suzumura55
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I'll say it once and i'll say it again very nicely. This show is terrible! It is completely unrealistic. Even though I'am a Ai Nanasaki fanboy, but the whole show is ridiculous. The only good points is Ai and Ayatsuji the others i could care less about. They should have had an interesting main male character that the audience enjoys. I find the whole franchise some guys fantasy about high school. He knows that other people wish they had been a ladies man in High shcool and slept around. So he made this franchise so that people could imagine all the girls they wish they had dated in High School. It's bad because they show it as great and fun when really most of those realationships would end very badly. Seriously people, don't get sucked into this. Even Christians are watching this and they are lost and it's such a disgrace. Believe me I'm Christian and I know whether a show is good or bad. And this show has just proved it. And to all you Otaku's/Nerds, YES I did drop the show and I hope this show drops in Japan as well with it's DVD sales. This show is garbage!
Suzumura55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 00:44   Link #1132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I loved serenade beta's nickname for her ^_^ ... Wakame (seaweed)
One of my favorite dishes.... wakame with seasoning and bits of shitake.


edit: To quote one of our mods in regard to Suzumura55's previous post, "wtf are you smoking?" What are you, twelve years old? Clueless about the world? Clueless about Japan? Clueless about entertainment? Watch any craptastic prime tv at all for comparison?

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-27 at 00:20.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 00:47   Link #1133
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 28
^ How does it feel to post right after a trollish comment, Vexx? Feel any different? =D
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 01:07   Link #1134
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Well, that's hypothetically unfair.
World is unfair. You have to sacrifice something to get something - want to get less rushed development - give each heroine more episodes, but then you have to cut few, and as a rule you cut the least popular ones - Sae and Rihoko. Sure they may have a few fans out there too, but compared to big four... well, its really nothing.

You know its like playing a RPG where party can consist only of a limited number of people and when you have bigger party, you do not level up the characters who seem the most useless in the group.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 01:59   Link #1135
wingman32x
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
So, are we going to make a fanclub of one of these mighty girls or not?
I'll be everywhere that involves Nanasaki Ai.
And probably everyone that's read Love Goes On! and is crazy about her.

Ontopic: I'm waiting for some Kaoru spice, this new arc is going to be intense, she seems to be .. very "touchy".
Yes, Nanasaki deserves a fanclub. I can't wait to see what anime only users feel about her. Because if she's anywhere near as cute as she is in the manga, then I can see her as a character that's very, very hard to dislike.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 02:01   Link #1136
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Gah! 400+ posts since i last came here? Hell if I'm gonna read all that. I really should stop playing League of Legends so often... (and only reason I'm here to be honest is because of major server lag issues lol)


In any case, after 4 episodes for Haruka's arc, I feel... I dunno, empty? Putting aside Haruka should be my waifu and not the protagonist (who has Rihoko already XD), it felt like that the character development stalled to a halt somewhere in the 3rd episode, there's this jarring feeling going from the end of one episode to the start of another that kills the atmosphere, and what seems like major time skips within them that strangles what emotions you'd feel from the plot.

Really, it went confession --> dumped --> try again --> no answer --> christmas event --> finally couple --> time skip --> married? I think that's a wee bit much to cram in the span of 4 episodes.

I mean, even the 1 episode per heroine of other omnibus adaptations feels more complete, ironically enough. Because there, you expect them only to cram so much in 20 minutes, so you expect them only to give you a glimpse of that girl's story. Here it was obvious they tried to fit the entirety of Haruka's arc, and I dunno about others, but it didn't work at all for me. Props though for first episode rejection (which is rare), but the rest were just meh to me.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:22   Link #1137
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Really, it went confession --> dumped --> try again --> no answer --> christmas event --> finally couple --> time skip --> married? I think that's a wee bit much to cram in the span of 4 episodes.

I mean, even the 1 episode per heroine of other omnibus adaptations feels more complete, ironically enough.
And here I need to emphatically disagree. The 1-ep omnibus adaptions like in Clannad have tremendous holes in the story, due to time constraints. Like with Tomoyo, they skip the entire part how the two of them developed feelings for each other. Same with Kyou, here the twist is merely how to communicate things. These shows take _one_ aspect and show it, and simply take all other missing developments as granted. This may make for one interesting scene, but COMPLETENESS is very very lacking.

How did they meet? What caused them to develop an interest for each other? How did they deal with it? How did their feelings develop after that? What about difficulties?

Quote:
Because there, you expect them only to cram so much in 20 minutes, so you expect them only to give you a glimpse of that girl's story.
Yes. So you mean you'd rather forgive the complete lack of this since you didn't expect much about it to begin with? I guess that's a position one can take, but I can't agree, sorry.

Quote:
Here it was obvious they tried to fit the entirety of Haruka's arc, and I dunno about others, but it didn't work at all for me. Props though for first episode rejection (which is rare), but the rest were just meh to me.
*shrug*

Truth is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think that the show offered answers to all the questions I listed above. The keen observer was also able to pick up several subtle cues to see and predict many developments happening later. And while it's true that they were working on a time budget and I'd have loved to see more side questions dealt with (e.g. Miya jelousy), I found the development quite believable and enjoyable to watch.

I'd say grats for a very pleasurable arc which makes appetite for more.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:24   Link #1138
Francismeunier
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, I think they dropped a couple more hints of this kind. Like Haruka dragging him away from the others. Her irritation about the poor compatibility score. Her reaction to Junichi's quiet swimsuit gawking - she wasn't playful-confident like during the swim club scene, but tense, and she scolded him for not complimenting her immediately. Her jealousy when she thought he was ogling other girls. Compared to earlier, when she was fully relaxed and in control, she was much more short-tempered and insecure later. I think they handled this development pretty well.
Nice analyzing there! It makes sense all of it now....what a playful act and all along I though the grandparents thing was real....... until I read this from Mentar. Still it goes back to her being rich enough to get money to rent out a hotel like this.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:32   Link #1139
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
World is unfair. You have to sacrifice something to get something - want to get less rushed development - give each heroine more episodes, but then you have to cut few, and as a rule you cut the least popular ones - Sae and Rihoko. Sure they may have a few fans out there too, but compared to big four... well, its really nothing.
I'd rather they stick to the four episode arc formula then cut a heroine out, because personally i had no problems with it for Haruka. That may change with the other heroines, though for now i'm pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumura55 View Post
I'm telling you people, this show is a disgrace. Listen to me. it's just filling up men's fantasy's of having a dream girl like them. Even Shuffle had that and it was worse. Please, I'm begging you guys. Just hear what I'm saying!
We do hear what you're saying, though we all have our own opinions, and as you can tell from a lot of posts here, we're all enjoying it for what it is.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 03:34   Link #1140
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I guess 4 episodes per arc is fine if they intend to keep it short and sweet, without much drama in the mix. Though, 5 would have been perfect. I'd like to have seen, like Mentar said, some Miya x Haruka, and everyone else's reactions after they became official.

Is Sae going to speak that softly the whole time?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romance, seinen, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.