AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-13, 20:02   Link #1
Seiryuu

True Love born from fake

This has been played out a few times in different ways. A girl "falls" for a guy and starts going out with him, but it turns out that it's fake. Either the girl is acting, or she's under some sort of influence or "spell". Either way, it doesn't last, but the memory of being with him remains, and when she's finally free, the lie is no longer a lie.

One big thing is that at first her real opinion of the guy is very, very low. No reason to force a girl to date someone she wouldn't mind dating. He's the sort of guy she'd never date for any reason, and the idea of holding hands, kissing, doing anything with him makes her sick. But she's forced to play this role; either she's being forced to do this on her own, or somehow her body is moving on its own under the influence of some spell or suggestion, acting as if she was truly in love despite the fact that inside she wants to stop.

Eventually it ends, either with the secret being revealed or the spell broken, and the boy leaves her, humiliated and shamed by the deception, or afraid of her anger if he was somehow responsible for her being made to do this. But somewhere along the line, she started to think it wouldn't be so bad to be with him, even started to want to be the role she played. The spell is broken, the play is over, and suddenly she finds that the act she'd played had gradually changed her feelings, until the fake romance was hiding a very real love.

Might be interesting if the guy knows from the beginning that the girl is under a spell and will be like this for a certain period of time, like a few months, and then the spell will be broken and she'll be free to do whatever she wishes. In such a situation, the guy might even make an effort to win her heart, even though he can never tell what she really feels about anything.
Old 2010-07-13, 21:16   Link #2
kco143

Do you have any examples of anime that used this?
Old 2010-07-13, 21:40   Link #3
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by kco143 View Post
Do you have any examples of anime that used this?
Not exactly like what he wants, but maybe B Gata H Kei, Katanagatari, or Working might would count as examples of this.

Also the non-spell one, sounds like how the old definition of tsundere was defined .
Old 2010-07-13, 21:58   Link #4
Divini
Senpai!

I know I've seen this more than I can think of right now....

Shiori from Mahou Sensei Negima
Villeta Nu in Code Geass
Mami from Sister Princess
Flay from Gundam SEED, sort of
Old 2010-07-13, 22:10   Link #5
Seiryuu

Not any that I can think of at the moment, though I know they exist.

One Japanese RPG that has a deliberate version of this is:
Spoiler:

I've heard about an H anime called Saimin Gakuen that's got a bit of this.
Spoiler:
Not very developed, but H works tend to do that. They may try out plot ideas, especially since many of the writers hope to one day write mainstream and want to experiment, but they only take them as far as they have to to sell it.
Old 2010-07-13, 22:13   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This may actually be one of the more apt definitions of Tsukishima Aoba of Cross Game.
Old 2010-07-13, 23:30   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yo Seiryuu. Well, aren't you trying out Katanagatari already? I thought you were. It is playing out that very theme by vying on subtlety. Nothing else comes to mind though such theme is plenty enough on TV shows and movies.
Old 2010-07-14, 02:56   Link #8
Qwey

I can't think of any anime, but there's a fantasy trilogy that uses this as a major plot device. The first book is called Medalon. Its a decent series, with what you're asking for being especially prominent in the second book (I believe its called Treason Keep).
Old 2010-07-14, 04:13   Link #9
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

How's about Durarara!?
Old 2010-07-14, 13:35   Link #10
Haak
F**k my life...

I would second Durarara!! except it only applies to the one of the characters and only becomes part of the main storyline near the end. I think Summer Wars counts and maybe School Rumble, aswell.
Old 2010-07-17, 20:40   Link #11
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Yo Seiryuu. Well, aren't you trying out Katanagatari already? I thought you were. It is playing out that very theme by vying on subtlety. Nothing else comes to mind though such theme is plenty enough on TV shows and movies.
I've only seen a bit so far, but I'm not sure how much this fits. What I've seen so far has the girl openly wanting the boy to love her, and making it clear that she wants him to be in love with her for specific, non-romantic reasons, but she hasn't suggested anything about reciprocation. And the boy knows how painful and sickening it must be for her to come to him for help, much less to make him serve her for the sake of love. I haven't seen her putting on a front of being in love with him.

I'm looking for something where either the girl is forced to act as if she's in love with him, or brainwashed so that to some degree she actually believes she is in love with him. Or where the girl chooses to pretend for some reason. For instance, there've been a couple shorts I've read where a girl loses a bet and is forced to go out with the least popular guy at school. There's also plenty of stuff in America where the boy does this to a girl, usually as a bet or job, frequently with a makeover for the girl involved.

So the two things I'm looking for are a brainwashed girl who's eventually freed from her "spell" at some point after she's gotten to know the boy and really love him, or a girl who for some reason is playing the boy, putting on a girlfriend act for some personal objective, and then finds that she's falling in love with him.

One thing I thought of that surprisingly no one's mentioned yet but sort of fits is Ookami Kakushi. One major part of the character conflict comes from something that partially fits the first of the two scenarios I mentioned.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-07-18 at 23:40.
Old 2010-07-19, 05:49   Link #12
ByakuyaKuchiki

The manhwa Goong fits this kind of, with a few differences.

Spoiler:

Not exactly what you asked for but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Old 2010-07-26, 11:02   Link #13
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Wow! Thank you for recommending Goong! It's been a while since I read a great manga. It never loses its sense of humor, and the romantic moments are totally worth going through the drama for.
Great, non-generic shojo art too (with the exception of wierd rabbit mouths)
Old 2010-07-27, 15:09   Link #14
noktown

Try lovely complex maybe,a short guy and a really tall girl hated each other at first,then slowly started falling in love,despite the weirdness ;o
Old 2010-07-27, 15:24   Link #15
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
for some reason is playing the boy, putting on a girlfriend act for some personal objective, and then finds that she's falling in love with him.
Pretty much sums up B Gata H Kei...the female protagonist originally wants to win over the male protagonist (who's just an average guy) as the first in a line of relationships because the guy's a virgin, and she can use him to gain experience. She treats and thinks of him as such, however gradually begins to realise she's actually falling for him, although in true Tsundere fashion she really doesnt want to admit it.

She's a bit egotistic, and she's obsessive in that regards, but it can be quite funny nonetheless. Definately counts as true love from a fake relationship though.
Reading: Rosario and Vampire II, Sankarea
Old 2010-07-27, 21:42   Link #16
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Pretty much sums up B Gata H Kei...the female protagonist originally wants to win over the male protagonist (who's just an average guy) as the first in a line of relationships because the guy's a virgin, and she can use him to gain experience. She treats and thinks of him as such, however gradually begins to realise she's actually falling for him, although in true Tsundere fashion she really doesnt want to admit it.

She's a bit egotistic, and she's obsessive in that regards, but it can be quite funny nonetheless. Definately counts as true love from a fake relationship though.
I agree that it fits somewhat, and it honestly was one of my absolute favorite shows. Is there anything where the girl's using a specific person, not just some guy she happened upon? Or where the girl's deliberate or coerced play has crueler intent?
Closed Thread