AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-23, 21:39   Link #4021
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
So time for a rather odd question on cosplaying, I am wondering why is that a girl cosplaying a male character is so generally accepted, while the guy cosplaying a female character isn't?

Also I mean ignoring the awful ones that are so very wrong for reasons besides gender thing, you know the ones xD.

Edit: Made this post before I saw this in silly news, so maybe it's just non-japan then?
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)

Last edited by Konakaga; 2010-07-23 at 22:09.
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 23:58   Link #4022
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
So time for a rather odd question on cosplaying, I am wondering why is that a girl cosplaying a male character is so generally accepted, while the guy cosplaying a female character isn't?

Also I mean ignoring the awful ones that are so very wrong for reasons besides gender thing, you know the ones xD.

Edit: Made this post before I saw this in silly news, so maybe it's just non-japan then?
Same reason why masculine girls are simply seen as "tomboyish", while feminine guys are seen as "Ho No!" "He is GAY" "Extricate that mess from our society!" "No room for you GAY", regardless of his true sexual orientation. We accept women trying to emulate men, the stronger and better gender. Women are weak by nature, so men emulating women are perceived as weak and soft, not worthy of being men who are supposed to set examples for their women. Remember that this playing stage is being judged by men.

btw I highly doubt that this thinking is absent from Japan, in response to the post you referenced.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:54   Link #4023
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Same reason why masculine girls are simply seen as "tomboyish", while feminine guys are seen as "Ho No!" "He is GAY" "Extricate that mess from our society!" "No room for you GAY", regardless of his true sexual orientation. We accept women trying to emulate men, the stronger and better gender. Women are weak by nature, so men emulating women are perceived as weak and soft, not worthy of being men who are supposed to set examples for their women. Remember that this playing stage is being judged by men.

btw I highly doubt that this thinking is absent from Japan, in response to the post you referenced.
I thought its because most guys cosplaying girls are a blight on the eyes while girls cosplaying guys are still not too bad.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 23:25   Link #4024
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I thought its because most guys cosplaying girls are a blight on the eyes while girls cosplaying guys are still not too bad.
And why do we have that mindset? Because of my previous response.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 21:36   Link #4025
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Uh, I need a little advice.

Spoiler for personal situation/little traceable information though, unless you're a pro internet stalker:
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 23:47   Link #4026
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
And why do we have that mindset? Because of my previous response.
Well... there are *good* crossdressing efforts -- but the American scene is infamous for guys who basically insult the living daylights out of characters they purport to be dressing as. I've seen some outstanding male crossdress cosplay --- and I've seen things that make anyone of any orientation want to stick nails in their eyes.

I love cosplay... but frankly I know my limits and those limits are roles where "curmudgeonly Viking" might fit in (e.g. like a salamander or delivery guy in ARIA). If I were slight of build with more androgynous looks then more options would open up.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 13:59   Link #4027
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Uh, I need a little advice.

Spoiler for personal situation/little traceable information though, unless you're a pro internet stalker:
I'm gonna be studying abroad there too

After having my fair share of flight problems, I can tell you that your plan doesn't sound all that bad, but you need to get some security in there. You should probably get in contact with your home school; I'm sure they've had this problem before. Your study abroad office mind you, not the financial aid one. Worst comes to worst you should ask your school to give you a student loan, although you may lose a pound of flesh in the process. If the money will be there within a week I can't see it being a problem.

Mhmm.. talking to the travel agent is tricky. It's a gamble either way, but I would talk to your travel agent about it. It's just that otherwise, you could find yourself down a lot of money, and with no ticket to Japan.

Visa Officials! No, they don't care that much as far as I know - especially for stuff like study abroad. One of the perks of having people read the documents. I don't think they'll mind and you are allowed to do so - they really aren't that draconian.

Gah as much as I hate to send people into a debt-trap, you should look into taking out a loan if you're not already knee deep in debt.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 18:06   Link #4028
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I'm gonna be studying abroad there too
Where are you going?

Quote:
After having my fair share of flight problems, I can tell you that your plan doesn't sound all that bad, but you need to get some security in there. You should probably get in contact with your home school; I'm sure they've had this problem before. Your study abroad office mind you, not the financial aid one. Worst comes to worst you should ask your school to give you a student loan, although you may lose a pound of flesh in the process. If the money will be there within a week I can't see it being a problem.
Actually, I'm already "guaranteed" enough money for the study abroad trip on paper. It's just that it would only arrive when the grants I've received and the loans I've taken start disbursing (the usual FAFSA-related government loans). My problem is that it won't come in time to deal with both the 305000 yen fee deadline and the flight plan deadline. What I have in hand is enough for one but not the other at the same time.

Although if you mean I should ask the school itself if it can give me a short-term "painkiller" kind of boost, that's very interesting. I'll try and talk to them, but honestly I don't think they can do something extraordinary like that. It is something of an unusual case and the school, being a public university, is practically broke (it cut down its budget severely recently) and bound by bureaucratic rules that a more "personal" liberal arts college can sometimes just cut through in the interest of its students.

Quote:
Mhmm.. talking to the travel agent is tricky. It's a gamble either way, but I would talk to your travel agent about it. It's just that otherwise, you could find yourself down a lot of money, and with no ticket to Japan.
Mm, yes. I see your point. I think I'll take the honest approach. Hopefully the agent will prove understanding.

Quote:
Visa Officials! No, they don't care that much as far as I know - especially for stuff like study abroad. One of the perks of having people read the documents. I don't think they'll mind and you are allowed to do so - they really aren't that draconian.
That's actually very relieving to hear. If for example I send them a flight itinerary with all the information now, but cancel my reservation soon after, would that cause a problem? And should I send them the new itinerary after I receive the disbursed money to actually pay for the "real" ticket, or is it something better left alone?

I know they want to know I actually won't just go there and stay instead of returning, but I don't know if they'll be verifying the flight information directly during their processing, err, process, since it's likely I'll cancel *that* booking to buy another (the agent says I can't keep the reservation very long).

Come to think of it, how long does the Visa process usually take after an application reach them? I have the CoE and everything of course.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 07:32   Link #4029
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Is there a way to quickly edit a 10-page report without dying? I did the first paragraph and there are already 3 spelling mistakes, 2 sentence structure problems and an excessively amount of wordiness!

P.S Yeah yeah I brought this upon myself. I thought by volunteering for editing of the report can save me all the trouble of having of thinking up of something to write. Didn't know that it is whole lot more trouble by having to think of something to replace the stuff written.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 08:57   Link #4030
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Nope, there's no short cut. I edit, on average, about 12 stories a night, each an average of 500 words in length. That's about 6,000 words a night and, on some nights, around 50 per cent more.

That is, about 9,000 words a night, which is roughly the length of one chapter of a typical novel. So, as you can imagine, my brain is pretty much mush by the end of an eight- or nine-hour shift.

There are books that can teach you how to write clean, concise prose. The most accessible one is The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Or, you can follow George Orwell's six elementary rules:
1. Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3. If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out.

4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Rule 4 might need a bit of explaining. A sentence written in the "active" voice uses a simple subject-verb-object structure. Examples: "I go to the zoo."; "Tom picks up the book."; "Jane met Tom."

A sentence written in the "passive" voice uses to a "object-verb-subject" structure. It is typically longer and sounds awkward. Examples: "The book was picked up by Tom."; "Tom was met by Jane."

Civil servants and officials, especially, love to use the passive voice, because it allows them to drop the subject of the sentence. Example: "The goal was met (by whom? how?)."

That creates ambiguity, and also leads to long, horrible sentences.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 10:31   Link #4031
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Can someone explain the concept of Cloud Computing, and how it works works? I just can not understand it.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 10:53   Link #4032
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Can someone explain the concept of Cloud Computing, and how it works works? I just can not understand it.
In layman terms, it simply refers to the trend of shifting computing applications and resources to a network of machines (the "cloud"), rather than have them reside in individual, standalone computers.

This has been made possible by the rapidly decreasing cost of computer storage and network bandwidth. A good example of "cloud computing" in practice is Google Apps. It provides a full suite of applications that businesses or consumers typically use, such as e-mail, chat-conferencing, word-processing tools, presentation tools, spreadsheets and so on.

In the past, a business would have to pay a licence fee to use these tools, and it would also have to host these applications on its own servers, which it also uses to store its corporate information. Now, however, the business can simply make use of Google Apps to set up its own "enterprise" system and, theoretically, not have to care about where its information and applications are being stored, because Google will take care of those details in the background.

So, in a way, "cloud computing" is about outsourcing your applications and data storage to a third party. The obvious advantages are reduced overheads, and distributed computing: You can access those tools and data wherever you can get an Internet connection.

The obvious disadvantage is the potential loss of privacy and security. How much do you trust the third party, Google for example, to keep your data safe?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 11:18   Link #4033
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In layman terms, it simply refers to the trend of shifting computing applications and resources to a network of machines (the "cloud"), rather than have them reside in individual, standalone computers.

This has been made possible by the rapidly decreasing cost of computer storage and network bandwidth. A good example of "cloud computing" in practice is Google Apps. It provides a full suite of applications that businesses or consumers typically use, such as e-mail, chat-conferencing, word-processing tools, presentation tools, spreadsheets and so on.

In the past, a business would have to pay a licence fee to use these tools, and it would also have to host these applications on its own servers, which it also uses to store its corporate information. Now, however, the business can simply make use of Google Apps to set up its own "enterprise" system and, theoretically, not have to care about where its information and applications are being stored, because Google will take care of those details in the background.

So, in a way, "cloud computing" is about outsourcing your applications and data storage to a third party. The obvious advantages are reduced overheads, and distributed computing: You can access those tools and data wherever you can get an Internet connection.

The obvious disadvantage is the potential loss of privacy and security. How much do you trust the third party, Google for example, to keep your data safe?
So you would say that "The Cloud" is a large scale version of an online forum. It connects people of same interests from all over to one place. It utilizes it's own rules of Common Courtesy, and contains it's own laws of physics.
Is that a correct understanding?
Quote:
So, in a way, "cloud computing" is about outsourcing your applications and data storage to a third party. The obvious advantages are reduced overheads, and distributed computing: You can access those tools and data wherever you can get an Internet connection.

The obvious disadvantage is the potential loss of privacy and security. How much do you trust the third party, Google for example, to keep your data safe?
Google actually doesn't secure their data. They don't encrypt. At least that's what I read. And Google uses Pay-Per-Click advertising. doesn't that go against your explanation? Or do I still have the wrong idea.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 11:35   Link #4034
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Nope, there's no short cut. I edit, on average, about 12 stories a night, each an average of 500 words in length. That's about 6,000 words a night and, on some nights, around 50 per cent more.

That is, about 9,000 words a night, which is roughly the length of one chapter of a typical novel. So, as you can imagine, my brain is pretty much mush by the end of an eight- or nine-hour shift.

There are books that can teach you how to write clean, concise prose. The most accessible one is The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Or, you can follow George Orwell's six elementary rules:
1. Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3. If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out.

4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Rule 4 might need a bit of explaining. A sentence written in the "active" voice uses a simple subject-verb-object structure. Examples: "I go to the zoo."; "Tom picks up the book."; "Jane met Tom."

A sentence written in the "passive" voice uses to a "object-verb-subject" structure. It is typically longer and sounds awkward. Examples: "The book was picked up by Tom."; "Tom was met by Jane."

Civil servants and officials, especially, love to use the passive voice, because it allows them to drop the subject of the sentence. Example: "The goal was met (by whom? how?)."

That creates ambiguity, and also leads to long, horrible sentences.
I read about Orwell's tenets, however I find that applying Rule No. 2 & 3 results in a disaster : ignoring errors make the entire paragraph read funnily. The reason is that get stuff like this :

Quote:
Generally most of the students find the bookshop and the cafeteria not up to the standard as 47.4% rate the bookshop “poor” and 34.2% rate the same thing for the cafeteria. However there is still a high percentage of respondents (42.1%) who feel satisfied and rate “good” for the current bookshop. The cafeteria’s rating spreads quite evenly among the ratings. Besides “poor” rating from 34.2 %, there are 28.9% rate “good” and 26.3% rate unacceptable at the same time. The cafeteria does not receive a very positive feedback due to the fact that the range of food catered at the cafeteria is quite limited and not so tasty according to the majority of the students. A lot of people feedback that the cafeteria at the other campus is significantly better. Additionally, 10.5 % rate the cafeteria “excellent” still.
Which I split and cut to :

Quote:
A visible percentage of the students find the bookshop unsatisfactory as it was rated poor by 47.4% of the respondents. On the contrary, there still an equally high percentage of respondents (42.1%) who are satisfied with the bookshop and rated it “good”.

The cafeteria’s general opinion is inconclusive judging from the data garnered from the ratings. It has a 10.5% rating of “excellent”, 28.9% rating of “good”, 34.2 % rating of “poor” and 26.3% rating of “unacceptable”. The cafeteria did not receive a overall positive feedback (60.5% rated “poor” and “unacceptable”) due to the food being “limited” and “unappetising”, according to the written opinions from the survey. It has also been noted that a number of students compared the campus's cafeteria with that of another, possibly suggesting the former being remodeled to be like the latter.
In the end, I end up writing more and making some mistakes which I can't correct without rewriting the entire section from scratch. And that isn't all, I still have 2 more drafts to go, and each is about 1,500 words. And my editing gets more and more slipshod towards the end of the entire report that I almost end up ignoring a whole bunch of individual sentences chunked together at the end.

Is there a proper guideline to writing those readable reports that major government agencies release from time to time? The things I read from the net usually give me stuff that gave my group members the report writing structures.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 12:05   Link #4035
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
You're not expecting me to do your homework for you, are you?

My advice? Too many numbers crammed into one paragraph, enough to cause any reader's eyes to glaze over.

Start with the key finding. What's the story? Is business good or bad at the bookshop and cafeteria? Why? That should be your opening sentence.

Everything else will follow from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
So you would say that "The Cloud" is a large scale version of an online forum. It connects people of same interests from all over to one place. It utilizes it's own rules of Common Courtesy, and contains it's own laws of physics.
Is that a correct understanding?
No, not really. While forum sites like AnimeSuki do exist in "the cloud", as do all other social-networking sites, there isn't any "computing" being done.

In any case, "cloud computing" is really no more than a fad label, like "Web 2.0" for example. The idea of sharing computing resources over distributed networks is as old as the Internet. It's just that it's now easier than ever before, so some smart hack came up with the name, ran with it, and finally pushed the concept into mainstream consciousness.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 12:12   Link #4036
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I get it... so it's more a concept then an actual "thing".
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 12:15   Link #4037
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You're not expecting me to do your homework for you, are you?

My advice? Too many numbers crammed into one paragraph, enough to cause any reader's eyes to glaze over.

Start with the key finding. What's the story? Is business good or bad at the bookshop and cafeteria? Why? That should be your opening sentence.

Everything else will follow from there.
Of course not. I prefer to do my homework myself unless it gets too annoying for me to handle. And unlike other homeworks which I can simply ignore if it gets irritating, this accounts for a huge proportion of my marks. Therefore I have to find a way to do it without screwing up.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I have to rewrite the entire section.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 16:04   Link #4038
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
I get it... so it's more a concept then an actual "thing".
Currently yes, though theoretically as internet speed increases enough it becomes a more viable thing to make use of.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 21:39   Link #4039
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Y
No, not really. While forum sites like AnimeSuki do exist in "the cloud", as do all other social-networking sites, there isn't any "computing" being done.

In any case, "cloud computing" is really no more than a fad label, like "Web 2.0" for example. The idea of sharing computing resources over distributed networks is as old as the Internet. It's just that it's now easier than ever before, so some smart hack came up with the name, ran with it, and finally pushed the concept into mainstream consciousness.

Bingo! "Cloud computing" is essentially a marketing term and a "pointy-headed boss" term. I'd bet 90% of the people you see using it really have no idea what it means without waving their arms about magical invisible assets that they hope aren't in their budget.

People who remember networks made up of smart terminals (e.g. X terminals) and server clusters where apps and data reside chuckle into their beer steins when someone says "cloud computing".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 21:41   Link #4040
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Bingo! "Cloud computing" is essentially a marketing term and a "pointy-headed boss" term. I'd bet 90% of the people you see using it really have no idea what it means without waving their arms about magical invisible assets that they hope aren't in their budget.

People who remember networks made up of smart terminals (e.g. X terminals) and server clusters where apps and data reside chuckle into their beer steins when someone says "cloud computing".
Heh. Dilbert reference. Heh.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.