AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-18, 16:32   Link #1401
Kudryavka

All I know is that Iwo Jima (the movie) was pretty awesome. Wasn't there a prequel that was an American retelling of the tale? I can't remember the name.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-07-18 at 21:48.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 19:56   Link #1402
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
All I know is that Iwo Jima was pretty awesome. Wasn't there a prequel that was an American retelling of the tale? I can't remember the name.
That one was called "Flags of Our Fathers". Its tells a slightly different type of story but from the American soldier's perspective of the guys noted for raising the American flag at the island.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 21:45   Link #1403
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Hold on, isn't WWII a taboo subject in Japan since we well...you know the US bombed them?
Old 2010-07-18, 21:48   Link #1404
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Hold on, isn't WWII a taboo subject in Japan since we well...you know the US bombed them?
I sure hope Japan isn't avoiding the truth. Not like they were sweet innocent angels in WWII either.
Old 2010-07-18, 22:27   Link #1405
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
That doesn't even really make sense. As with most of history, feelings are a lot more complicated.

The war isn't "taboo" and certainly not because the US bombed them.... hell, they have the Hiroshima memorial every year, the Okinawans have memorials, the Constitution is a direct result of the war, the Japanese Self Defense Force's mandate derives directly from the war.

Now, do the Japanese spend every day individually reflecting on the war? No, and neither does anyone else who's looking forward.

I'd say the education on the war time history sucks in Japan... but you know what? It sucks in the US, too. The average US citizen has a hideously underinformed understanding of WW2.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:35   Link #1406
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...I'd say the education on the war time history sucks in Japan... but you know what? It sucks in the US, too. The average US citizen has a hideously underinformed understanding of WW2.

Sadly, it seems that the citizenry in general is horribly uniformed in regard to most things these days.

Many Americans (since that is the only perspective from which I can speak) have a poor understanding of OUR history let alone world history. And, people seem to not value education anymore, and poor parenting is a large component (something I can't stand is poor and something else I call "non" parenting).

Some people (and thus as learned from their parents, many children) don't care. Ignorance of our history and culture just breeds ignorance. It is really sad to hear some people try and discuss certain issues and be so grossly uniformed and then not even care that they are uniformed.

However, I have gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

So, to kind of return to topic, I don't see why that topic should be any more taboo than another. History is history and its context is important. Consider the relationship of many European nations now versus 200 years ago... how often were they going at each other?

Yes, it may be a difficult subject, but it's unwise to attempt to erase a piece of history... nothing good can come from such an effort.

Of course, all of this is merely my opinion, and thus clearly I may have spoken in error.
Old 2010-07-19, 00:08   Link #1407
Kudryavka

Ignorance is plentiful here; it's amazing that some Americans know full well who Hitler is, but don't know Stalin at all. I'm like, how can you know one and not the other?? Even I have to admit, I had no idea who Stalin was until a really good history teacher beat it into my head; better be sure that I knew that Hitler was a bad guy since I was a kid.

I would say that no, Japan isn't trying to ignore the bombing, but I do know that until recently, they refused to accept responsibility for some of the atrocities that they themselves committed, such as kidnapping other Asians as comfort women. Knowing that, I wouldn't put Japan above ignoring such things.
Old 2010-07-19, 01:29   Link #1408
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I would say that no, Japan isn't trying to ignore the bombing
There is no reason for the Japanese to ignore the bombings, as they were the victims. The problem is with referencing those incidents where the Japanese were the perpetrators and the victims were others. In those cases, the Japanese government hasn't always pursued the best course of action. Frankly, everything is relative and there are a lot of cultural factors as to why the Japanese avoid those kind of inwardly-controversial topics (much like the Burakumin issue), but, well, that doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Germany... for lack of a better way to say it, has probably over-reacted in their suppression of nazi symbology. Its hard to remember what you never get exposed to. The current neo-nazi and fascist elements rely on public ignorance of history to make inroads.
German kids have World War 2 and the ills of Nazi Germany pounded into them from a young age in school. Banning people and organizations from using Nazi symbology may or may not be effective, but it isn't sweeping history under the rug.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 01:45   Link #1409
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
There is no reason for the Japanese to ignore the bombings, as they were the victims. The problem is with referencing those incidents where the Japanese were the perpetrators and the victims were others. In those cases, the Japanese government hasn't always pursued the best course of action. Frankly, everything is relative and there are a lot of cultural factors as to why the Japanese avoid those kind of inwardly-controversial topics (much like the Burakumin issue), but, well, that doesn't make it right.
Hm, well I never thought of that. I thought that the bombings and the things that Japan did would be in the same playing field, but I guess not.

And yeah, since Japan was the victim, they have no reason to ignore the bombs. Unless they were trying to teach themselves that they're perfect and superior to everything and everyone else, in which case any sign of failure on their part would be rather embarrassing. I doubt that's true.
Old 2010-07-19, 03:50   Link #1410
sergho

Japan had a choice at the end of the war. They could surrender to the US or the Russians.

The nukes didn't make Japan capitulate, it was the threat of Russian invasion.
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 10:55   Link #1411
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
Japan had a choice at the end of the war. They could surrender to the US or the Russians.

The nukes didn't make Japan capitulate, it was the threat of Russian invasion.
First of all, Japan did try to make peace at the end through the Soviets since Japan had a non- aggression pack with the Soviets but it was after the Yalta meeting and Potsdam declaration with post war plans all drawn out. Stalin asked for advice to Roosevelt on how to handle the matter in which Roosevelt replied to ignore it.

The dropping of the A-bomb had various political motives both domestic and international.
First domestically, the US war time administrations needed a rational for all the money invested into the Manhattan project. The Truman administration knew heads will be rolling if they were not able to show that the money was well spent in saving "Their Boys" from needless deaths.
Second internationally, the US was already readying themselves for the cold war and did not want to make the same mistake they did with Germany by splitting the territory in half they wanted to end the war before the Soviets were prepared to invade Japan and also placing a big "NO Trespassing" sign by demonstrating the capability of US military technology.

The military also wanted to test the bomb on a "Live" target to see the difference between the two different type of bombs for future reference.
Scientists knew that the Uranium type bomb will explode but they also saw a bigger potential in the plutonium type bomb since technologically it was possible to miniaturize.
Hiroshima was left virtually un-touched from the heavy carpet bombing that devastated the rest of Japan so they can use it as "Guinea pigs".

I can go on concerning this topic since it is a certain interest of mine.
Old 2010-07-19, 11:51   Link #1412
sergho

the Russians seized two Japanese islands during the war. they still haven't given them back.

the Russians had just finished cracking Berlin open like a walnut, they were loading up their great war machine on train flat beds and were headed for Tokyo.

the cold war had already started

japan could've wound up like Poland or worse, like north Korea

isn't this getting away from the topic? what does all this have to do with culture?

i can't believe with all the millions wasted in wwii by the US, that Truman was afraid of getting in trouble with tax payers if he didn't use the nukes.
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 13:51   Link #1413
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
i can't believe with all the millions wasted in wwii by the US, that Truman was afraid of getting in trouble with tax payers if he didn't use the nukes.
You think the US didn't have any political interest in dropping the bombs? It has little to do with taxpayers and more with a display of power in a war that gave birth to the struggle of power between the US and the Soviet Union. Also, in preventing Japan from negotiating with Russia, they guaranteed themselves a pseudo-colony in the region. This scenario works even if the Soviet Union wanted to invade Japan in the future as you say (something which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me, given the desperate political state of Japan at the end of the war).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 14:41   Link #1414
Qikz

Spoiler for My reply to the previous comments:

As far as Japanese cultures concerned, what's the best months to go to Japan to get to see alot of the various festivals and what not? I'm planning to go to Tokyo next year and just wondered when all the festivals go on, I know the summer festivals are on around now as someone I know who's out there now went to one the night before last.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 15:02   Link #1415
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
Yeah WW2 is a very touch subject, i bet more for the axis powers back in WW2. As said History is written by the victors. I Highly Recommend watching "The Pacific" Series! A Brand New Series made by the people of Band Of Brothers But this pretty much covers MAJOR Events that took place during The Pacific War in WW2. Very Touchy,Sad and is Packed WITH TONS of action. But I'll be watching Letters From Iwo Jima today, thanks for telling me about it
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"

Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 18:34   Link #1416
Jim.

I have mixed feeling about the Japanese culture, my grandma had two female japanese friends in school in the 1930s. she told us she use to watch them get their finger tips burnt by matches for punishment. Being a hard core 6th generation Canadian and having family fight in all the wars canada was in, I think The Battle of Hong Kong and having great uncle's being executed and the nurses in the hospital being- you know, leaves me little uneasy. I do/did have some Japanese friends in high school, Suzuka High School in Suzuka City being our sister school, I know they are not all bad people.
Jim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 18:40   Link #1417
Capone

Japanese culture is AWESOME Japan is the paradise on Earth that I dream of some day visiting
Ma' name is Capone, the AS member that flies / and if y'all wonder why, y'all can C it in ma' eyes; / so red / so dead / but at peace without regret / 'cus I puff on da joints, like how Wilma does on Fred!
Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 19:18   Link #1418
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

I like how the Japanese seem to have a closer relationship with technology than other places in the world. I don't know if this is true, but it seems that way to me.
Old 2010-07-25, 19:32   Link #1419
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
As far as Japanese cultures concerned, what's the best months to go to Japan to get to see alot of the various festivals and what not? I'm planning to go to Tokyo next year and just wondered when all the festivals go on, I know the summer festivals are on around now as someone I know who's out there now went to one the night before last.
Dude, they party 365 days a year.
Japanese have festivals for the sake of having festivals, lol.

You'd need to google a festival guide to get a national calander of stuff, there's too much to keep up with.
Summer festivals are there, but then spring and winter are also a plenty :\
And near New Year's there's a fair few...

It's spring!
Whoo, new life, sakura and new beginnings!
It's summer!
Whoo! Fireworks festival, going to the beach, beer gardens and obon!
It's autumn!
Whoo! Momiji and celebrating good harvest and... silver week!
It's winter!
Whoo! New year is here, and setsubun and bathing semi naked in ice cold waters for some kinda blessing, lol.

So yeah, too many
Depending on which festivals you wanna see, then you decide on the season for it

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 05:51   Link #1420
Orizuru

Hi. That's my first post here, so Yorosiku onegaisimasu

Quote:
As far as Japanese cultures concerned, what's the best months to go to Japan to get to see alot of the various festivals and what not?
I think it is the best idea you go to the festivals you wanna see.But you might as well avoid going in the summer....because Japanese summer is very hot and humid.
Orizuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture