AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-07-27, 09:11   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Avatar size limit in profiles (not Profile Pictures)

What's the profile size limit? I think they retain animation as long as I optimize them bellow the limit.
Old 2010-07-27, 10:29   Link #2
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

I think it's 100 KB, or at least that's what the profile says..
Old 2010-07-27, 11:04   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Like the title says I'm not talking about profile pictures.

When you upload a avatar it is re-optimized for profiles since the size limit is set to something lower there. This has the effect of canceling the animation. I think if I make them the appropriate size the optimization won't cancel the animation; I know I saw some a long time ago that were only blinking -- they were still working in profiles.
Old 2010-07-27, 12:51   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

From the Avatar edit forum:
Quote:
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 50.0 KB (whichever is smaller).
(50.0 KB = 51200 bytes)

If you upload an avatar bigger than 100x100 pixels then afaik it will be re-optimized to fit 100x100 pixels, in which case animations will be lost.

Edit:
If you are referring to the smaller avatar images shown in for example the visitor messages sections, those are 60x60 pixels and I don't think you can do anything to avoid your avatar from being automatically resized to 60x60 pixels. Unless maybe uploading a 60x60 pixel avatar, but that's probably not what you want.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 13:57   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
If you are referring to the smaller avatar images shown in for example the visitor messages sections, those are 60x60 pixels and I don't think you can do anything to avoid your avatar from being automatically resized to 60x60 pixels. Unless maybe uploading a 60x60 pixel avatar, but that's probably not what you want.
Yes I was referring to those. And I didn't want to know for my avatar. I'm fine with it being static there; its almost static anyway.

I wanted to know the exact values you have set for the members group so I can make better avatars when they have subtle animationsa. I'm already trying to account how it freezes the animation on the first frame and sacrificing sizeb to get it to look right.

I've seen some users with avatars animated in profiles a while back but they were most likely as you say uploaded as 602px images, as I've went ahead and tested it earlier with a 1002px / 0.6kb animated avatar and it was optimized to shreds by the system. There's also the possibility they were using one of those pre-set avatars displaying under the upload option, since as far as I know those bypass any limitation. Though quickly searching though them I didn't find any.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to up the limit to 1002px / 50kb in the spirit of having them work as intended?
b if you have frames 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 many would think re-ordering to 3, 4, 5, 1, 2 doesn't make a difference; but because of how frame disposal works this is actually very important. 10kb difference is normal; ironically deleting frames might actually give you less then re-ordering them.
Old 2010-07-28, 16:36   Link #6
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Yes I was referring to those. And I didn't want to know for my avatar. I'm fine with it being static there; its almost static anyway.

I wanted to know the exact values you have set for the members group so I can make better avatars when they have subtle animationsa. I'm already trying to account how it freezes the animation on the first frame and sacrificing sizeb to get it to look right.

I've seen some users with avatars animated in profiles a while back but they were most likely as you say uploaded as 602px images, as I've went ahead and tested it earlier with a 1002px / 0.6kb animated avatar and it was optimized to shreds by the system. There's also the possibility they were using one of those pre-set avatars displaying under the upload option, since as far as I know those bypass any limitation. Though quickly searching though them I didn't find any.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to up the limit to 1002px / 50kb in the spirit of having them work as intended?
b if you have frames 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 many would think re-ordering to 3, 4, 5, 1, 2 doesn't make a difference; but because of how frame disposal works this is actually very important. 10kb difference is normal; ironically deleting frames might actually give you less then re-ordering them.
Yah, the mods won't up the limits, sorry. You'll have to work around them.

About your avatars freezing on the first frame, did you make sure that the first frame is being called for the same amount of milliseconds as the subsequent frames?

About your profile avy limits, I don't know what they are, but with some avatars they will still be animated in the profile when resized; for some reason, my current one is still animated in my profile, probably because it's only 5 kb in size. Yours is 48 kb, almost at the limit of 50 kb and some change, so that's probably why yours won't stay animated in your profile.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 16:59   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
About your profile avy limits, I don't know what they are, but with some avatars they will still be animated in the profile when resized; for some reason, my current one is still animated in my profile, probably because it's only 5 kb in size.
No. As I mention in my post, after testing with a 100 by 100 px avatar of size 0.6kb I found it doesn't work, so I am positive now its all in the dimensions. Also, I forgot earlier (and spread the misinformation myself), but from looking into this, profile pictures are not 60 by 60 px, that's merely a consequence of resizing from a perfect square ratio (typically 100 by 100). Those small icons area maximum of 60 px in width and something larger then 60 px in height. Your avatar is 47h × 68w pixels, hence why its still animated. While not that noticeable if you look closely you'll see its actually taller then the square ones of others since its still 47 by 68 px.

At this point I can't work around them in a way to get them animated other then creating very tiny avatars, or rectangular ones (60 by 100). The other method I described (rotating frames) is also merely a mitigating of the destructive effects.

Quote:
About your avatars freezing on the first frame, did you make sure that the first frame is being called for the same amount of milliseconds as the subsequent frames?
I'm not talking about my avatar, other then correcting people, like I am now. Take a look at my profiles left side, you'll see a gallery with my previous avatars. As you will see most of them are static and those that are animated have very subtle animations. So really, believe me when I say do not care if my avatar gets frozen in profiles.

My concern is with avatars I make. I make a lot more avatars for others then I make for myself. Having those avatars get to work in profiles would be a nice plus, but currently the forum image algorithms are getting in the way. I'm not sure, but I believe they are actually a option in Admin CP; or I might just be confusing them with the CAPCHA options.

Quote:
Yah, the mods won't up the limits, sorry. You'll have to work around them.
I don't believe this topic was brought up before so how can you guess the answer? I don't really mind either way, and in no mood to argue over this whichever the say on it ends up. But if its a "no" I'd rather it be official.

Last edited by felix; 2010-07-29 at 01:49. Reason: typos, thats what I get for typing when I'm tired
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 17:24   Link #8
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
No. As I mention in my post, after testing with a 100 by 100 px avatar of size 0.6kb and it was burned, so I am positive now its all in the dimensions. Also, I forgot earlier (used spread the misinformation myself), but from looking into this, profile pictures are not 60 by 60 px, that's merely a consequence of resizing from a perfect square ratio (typically 100 by 100). Those small icons are maximum of 60 px in width and something larger then 60 px in height. Your avatar is 47h × 68w pixels, hence why its still animated. And while not that noticeable if you look closely you'll see its actually taller then the square ones of others since its still 47 by 68 px.

And at this point I can't work around them in a way to get them animated other then creating very tiny avatars or rectangular ones (60 by 100). The other method I described (aligning frames) is also merely a mitigating of the destructive effects.

I'm not talking about my avatar in my posts, other then correcting people, like I am now. Take a look at my profiles left side, you'll see a gallery with my previous avatars. As you will see most of them are static and those that are animated have very subtle animation. So really, believe me when I say do not care if my avatar gets frozen in profiles.

My concern is with avatars I make. I make a lot more avatars for others then I make for myself. Having those avatars get to work in profiles would be a nice plus, but currently the forum image algorithms used are getting in the way. Actually, I believe they are actually a option in Admin CP; or I might just be confusing them with the CAPCHA options.

I don't believe this topic was brought up before so how can you guess the answer? I don't really mind either way, and in no mood to argue over this whichever the say on it ends up, but if its a "no" I'd rather it be official.
i c.

I salute you for thinking about others with this, and it would be nice to have all avatars animated everywhere. Maybe if they could just make it so avys are animated, making the profile size 100x100 seems to defeat the purpose of having profile pages mostly of text.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 11:35   Link #9
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

The sizes are hard-coded to: 60px x 80px

Tags