AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: True Tears - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 86 32.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 29.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 14.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 34 13.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.38%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.15%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-02, 02:41   Link #121
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
after rewatching this thing twice, it seems that it really is utterly straightforward. the episodic expectations and fanship drama blinded people to the more obvious developments

forget about all the pretty tears rhetoric, the bloody chicken etc. this is basically a story of a misunderstanding between hiromi and mc, leading to mc getting into an irresponsible relationship with a vulnerable girl in noe without fully considering or respecting the responsibilities and consequences of romantic dalliance. then they spent a few episodes on resolving the misunderstanding, and making the mc deal with his responsibility to noe. basically, dumb boy hurts little girl and apologizes in a decent way.

that is ALL
__________________
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 08:11   Link #122
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
after rewatching this thing twice, it seems that it really is utterly straightforward. the episodic expectations and fanship drama blinded people to the more obvious developments

forget about all the pretty tears rhetoric, the bloody chicken etc. this is basically a story of a misunderstanding between hiromi and mc, leading to mc getting into an irresponsible relationship with a vulnerable girl in noe without fully considering or respecting the responsibilities and consequences of romantic dalliance. then they spent a few episodes on resolving the misunderstanding, and making the mc deal with his responsibility to noe. basically, dumb boy hurts little girl and apologizes in a decent way.

that is ALL
And I loved every minute of it!

But everything is simple once you break it down like that. It's what they do with it that counts. And visuals and music make up a lot too, both of which were awesome in this series.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 18:03   Link #123
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
after rewatching this thing twice, it seems that it really is utterly straightforward. the episodic expectations and fanship drama blinded people to the more obvious developments

forget about all the pretty tears rhetoric, the bloody chicken etc. this is basically a story of a misunderstanding between hiromi and mc, leading to mc getting into an irresponsible relationship with a vulnerable girl in noe without fully considering or respecting the responsibilities and consequences of romantic dalliance. then they spent a few episodes on resolving the misunderstanding, and making the mc deal with his responsibility to noe. basically, dumb boy hurts little girl and apologizes in a decent way.

that is ALL
I disagree on at least a couple points.

1) How did Shinichiro "apologize in a decent way"? The guy never apologized at all, IIRC.

2) You missed the symbolism of the chicken aspects of the story. Noe managed to coax Shinichiro out of his shell a bit, by encouraging him as she did her chicken friends. She inspired him in his creative pursuits and in his dancing. I think that she helped build up some added self-confidence in him. She helped him "fly", in a figurative sense. In this vein as well, Noe was very much akin to Peter Pan (only at a figurative level).

Keep in mind that when Shinichiro was dancing his routine at the big festival in Episode 12, he commented on how his focus was more on Noe than on Hiromi when it came to this. And that's because Noe had been a big encouragement to him here.


You're largely right about the cold hard surface level truth of the romance triangle in this anime, which is why I totally sympathize with Jun being unable to forgive Shinichiro for what he did to Noe. However, the symbolism in this anime is not completely meaningless. It isn't there just to look cool or surreal. There is a real analogy and metaphor here. It's nothing terribly complex (it's on the level of Orwell's Animal Farm), but it's there.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:02   Link #124
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree on at least a couple points.

1) How did Shinichiro "apologize in a decent way"? The guy never apologized at all, IIRC.
I think he apologized, but maybe that cannot satisfied all people.

At ep 10 who he really loves is all known. Why he cannot do things properly in ep11 is because he doesn't know how to face Noe would be better. (So you'll see he thinks about Noe, but all is about the her encouragement /his promise/worry but no romantic part)

At ep 12 he finally knows what he really wants to do.( notice his words and sequence of these things : dacing->drawing->Noe->Hiromi)

So he wants to let Noe see the dancing, and wants to let her know the new ending of chicken's story. After doing these he could face Noe and tell her who he really loves, but still mentioned how Noe is important in his heart. His tears is also a kind of apology.

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-07-05 at 16:27.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 01:37   Link #125
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Perhaps this is a cultural nuance I didn't pick up on. Perhaps Shinichiro is implicitly apologizing through his tears, or some other means.

Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 06:08   Link #126
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps this is a cultural nuance I didn't pick up on. Perhaps Shinichiro is implicitly apologizing through his tears, or some other means.

Thanks for the feedback.

True Tears is an implicit anime in many aspect is because the director want to do this in this way. He didn't want to tell the story clearly, but still leaves many clues in each scene that makes everyone could have his/her own interpretation to this story. I have to say this is quite interesting to me, but it also makes TT sometimes is a little hard to fully understand it.


Still, I think the information from director/scriptwriter talking in fan'book /DVD/BD and the lyrics of character image songs could be the reference to answer the question and understand what director really want to show us.

For example, does Shin ever love Noe in romantic way ? Why does he look shift to Noe in last 3 ep but he still break the relation with Noe? Why Noe's action is a little confused at last ?

The scriptwriter said their feeling to each other is a little like philosophical love, she said that's a kind of feeling that cannot be named. It's pure and beautiful, but not the love between lovers. It maybe could turn to love, but there's reason that make it didn't happened in this show.

She said Shin is attracted by Noe, but he never loves Noe in romantic way. That's why in ep7 he tried to convince himself he likes Noe, and looks hesitated in ep9~11. (You can see he is happy to share story with Noe, but he never show the same expression/take the same action to Noe as to Hiromi. )

In the other hand, Noe's feeling to Shin is not lover's love, either.( maybe a little in the end) Her emotion is not complete, and her mind is not like a normal 15-year-old girl but more like a 10-year-old girl.( She tried to shell herself after her grandmother's death because she's afraid to get hurt in relations. She's a little like Peter-Pen.)

You can see she didn't know what's the meaning to a boy eat with a girl alone, and didn't know Shin's feeling to Hiromi at the beginning. That makes her confront/punch Hiromi in ep7 when she think it's Hiromi's fault that makes Shin's unhappy and cannot fly. She looks a little confused after meet Hiromi & Jun in ep12 because what they've show her is the unfamiliar feeling that she never know before. She found out that's different feeling when one love another in romantic way, and that's why she said the she didn't see anything in ep 12.


The scenes/micro expressions of them when they're together in this show support these statements, though it looks a little confused at the beginning.

(I think that's why she cannot be the final winner.... she maybe look good in many aspect, but the feeling is different. And what she really needs is to grow up but not the love...)

Finally, many people say that Noe's finally scene of tears is beacuse of heartbroken. But I think there's more in her final tears after I finished the Drama CD and read the new lyric of the song sang in the BD epilogue.( not only the sadness, but also some appreciation/bless...)


P.S.
The most interesting part of True Tears to me is to interpretat each character's (especially Hiromi's) feeling/emotion/body language...etc. I 've seen some anime's story/painting/music are better than TT, but I never seen an anime that emphasized on micro expression so much. I think these micro expressions are quite critical to understand this story, and i could write a lot interpretations about these in each epsode. ( True Tears always remind me a drama called "Lie To Me" XD)

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-07-09 at 05:00.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 09:53   Link #127
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps this is a cultural nuance I didn't pick up on. Perhaps Shinichiro is implicitly apologizing through his tears, or some other means.
Part of it may be cultural but I think a lot of the apology was indirect. You can think of it as his actions spoke louder than his words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshingo View Post
Spoiler for Super Space Saver Delux:
Whoa. Awesome post. You've got some real insight. If only I had access and the ability to translate the other material. Anyway, I agree with everything you said. Noe and Shin helped each other and that's why I wasn't sad that Noe didn't get Shin. Even though I liked Hiromi and cheered for her, I still liked Noe. I haven't seen the epilogue at all so I don't know what it's about but I am sure Noe remained friends with Shin and Hiromi, so she wouldn't be alone while her sis-con brother left.

I did love the 'micro expressions' and all of the nuances. It's one of my favorite things in an anime, manga, movie, anything - when you have to interpret and figure out something from what little is given. It's part of the fun!

And I welcome any other interpretations you want to give us.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 07:28   Link #128
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I did love the 'micro expressions' and all of the nuances. It's one of my favorite things in an anime, manga, movie, anything - when you have to interpret and figure out something from what little is given. It's part of the fun!
And I welcome any other interpretations you want to give us.
There are many could be said but my English is too poor to express all the parts. However,since you are a Hiromi's fan, I could share an interpretation of one of my favorite scene of Hiromi to explain how True Tears's implicit way but still give some clues to the story and express the emotion by "micro expression".

In ep5, Shin tried to invite Hiromi to go home together. In the half of the way, Hiromi tried to invite Shin to take a walk at beach. When Shin said he's cold, Hiromi gave her scarf to Shin and helped him wear it. She talked about the festival dance,and said Shin is the lead of the dance. Then Shin tried to say something, but interrupted by Hiromi. Hirmoi was silenced for a while, then talked about Noe inviting her eating lunch together today. Shin looks a little surprised, Hiromi said it's nothing, it's she wants to be friend with Noe, but stopped, looks a little strange, and suddenly want to back.

Now, what can you see in this scene ?

First, it is unusual to Hiromi to take the initiative to invite Shin to do something together at that time (remember Shin said she always keep herself ,right ?), then why she did this ?

I think it's because after the lie/misunderstanding in ep4, Hiromi wants to fix their relationship all the time and finally get a chance. ( Notice Her face/action to Shin in the morning at ep4 is different from ep 1~3, and then stand in front of Shin's room but still hold herself.) If you notice her words in ep 11/ Drama CD, you'll know she really likes the sea. That explain why she choose this place because it is a different meaning place to her.

Then, we can see a different Hiromi from she's at school/at home. At here she didn't have to mask herself as she's at school/home. Her face looks more soften and her actions/words show she really care about Shin. ( Actually i can say the micro expression of Hiromi in ep1 already show she cares about Shin, but it's an another story.)

And this also tell us their relation is not as distance as someone think, but is more closed. Traditional eastern society is more conservative. Helping a man wearing the scarf such kind of action on a normal girl only happens when they're family, lovers, or very closed friend. ( I can explain more about their relation if someone's interested )

We can also see Shin's actions when he's with Hiromi are totally different from he's with the other girls. He easily accepted the invitation of Hiromi while he refused to eat with Noe at morning , and show some unwilling to date with Aiko. We can see there's more embarrassed or some kind of emotion on his face when he accepted the scarf of Hiromi than he accepted the coat of Noe.

And the words of Shin that has been interrupted is trying to inviting Hiromi to watch his dance practice next time. Hey, he had no willing to talk about the dance when he's with Miyokichi/Aiko or Noe at previous scene because he didn't like to be compared with his father. But when he's with Hiromi, he tried to invite her to watch his dance ! I think it's quite easy to see how happy he is when Hiromi said he is the leading man of the dance, want to show his best part to Hiromi , and want to be with Hiromi more.

This scene also show there was chance that Hiromi could support Shin's dance, though it didn't happen after. Thus I won't say Shin & Hiromi relation is static and distance as others. Their relation is just like the sea they watched, looks still at surface, but under that the emotion flows like the tide of water. They have reasons to keep distance to each other, but accumulation of such small daily events could be the force to push one of them face another one day.

Maybe you have read these interpretations before, but the scene does not only tell these things. The following part is more interesting :

Let's focus on why Hiromi interrupted Shin's invitation first. It's a little hard to determine Hiromi did this by her intension or not. But there was a similar scene happened before : In ep3 , when Shin talking about they're together when they're yong, Hiromi lied. And then Shin tried to ask Hiromi about why she want to be friend with Noe. His words is also interrupted by Hiromi at that time. Hiromi tried to shift the topic, and thank Shin to accompany with her. Therefore, i guess she intended to do this at this time too. Now the question is why ?

IMO, she wants to keep a distance with Shin at that time. Not too far, not too close. It's easy to see She likes Shin, so she didn't want to be apart with Shin. But why she doesn't want to be too closed with Shin ?

The answer is in the following story and at ep6, Shin's mother and the sibling issue. When one likes another but it's impossible to them to be together, the more they're close, the more pain he/she will have. That's the reason there's some contradiction in her actions, and she wants to keep a distance before.

And her following actions are quite interesting too. She said she ate lunch with Noe today, and then mentioned Noe said only friend eat together. When she said these words, she watched Shin directly. It can be interpreted to an indirectly question that actually ask "What's the relation of you & Noe Now? " or "What did you do with Noe that makes her come to me" (Remember that Noe didn't want to be her friend before) It's also a sign that she's worry about the relation with Shin would be changed.

Shin's reply shows he didn't know anything about this, and still care about Hiromi. She should be happy now, right ? Then why her further actions looks a little strange ? "It's me want Shinichiro kun to help me be friend with Noe..." What's wrong in this sentence ?

Remember that it's a lie she told Shin in the beginning, and was combine with her another lie by Shin that makes Shin totally misunderstand. It will remind Shin that misunderstanding of ep 4 again, and what she did would be in vain. But can she tell the truth at that time ? No. As long as Shin's mother and the sibling issue cannot be solved, she cannot tell the truth. (this part is also a little complex, forgive me didn't tell all the reason here.) Then what else could she do ?

She's upset about this, and her words also remind her the obstacles between them. So we can see her speaking suddenly stopped, her eyes looks like she noticed something, showed a bitter smile, look at another place, and then step back, said "Let's back home?" , and back home without Shin's answer in the end. It's a little sad that Hiromi cannot clear the misunderstanding, and Shin cannot read these messages that makes more things happened after.

Simple scene, many things.

There's many similar complicated scenes in True Tears, not only happened on Hiromi, but also on Noe & Aiko. And that is True Tears' way to tell the story.


I never understand why someone would think Hiromi's boring or emotionless. Her micro expressions and words always show more than it looks like. Why she said "I'm back" twice with different voice at ep1, why she decided to leave the house at ep 10, why she start to wear glasses and only show this to Shin at ep11,13.... there's all with some reasons in it. Even the lie she said she like Jun is not as it looks like. Maybe it looks too indirectly and a little bothering, but that's traditional eastern culture way. ( I cannot blame them because I'm such kind of person too )


You could disagree with any the interpretations above , but as an eastern, that's what I see in this scene.

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-08-07 at 22:48.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 14:22   Link #129
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Awesome. I really do agree with you. Hiromi bottled so much, especially her feelings for Shin. The scarf thing definitely wouldn't have the same meaning in western society. I also think there was more than what Shin's mother said to her with regards to her holding back. There was them living in the same house, if they had a relationship it would not look good for either party, and I think teenage stubbornness was thrown in along the way. It took the threat of another girl to force her to move.

I wonder how it would have been if Aiko was the threat, instead of Noe.

I'm really impressed with how much you know, do you look that stuff up to post or do you remember which episode? I remember them happening but not which episode, I know if it was in the beginning, middle or end, that's all.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 14:56   Link #130
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

I wonder how it would have been if Aiko was the threat, instead of Noe.
Actually Aiko's psychology part is quite similar as Hiromi's. The difference between them is the distance between Shin and them, and the position in Shin's heart. Therefore I think we can get the answer by interpreting her part.

1. In ep1, ep3 & ep4, we can see Shin didn't love Aiko in romantic way, but takes Aiko as an elder sister of him. He'll talk about his trouble with Aiko. Therefore we can see Aiko should already know Shin likes Hiromi for a long time.

2. In ep12, we can see Aiko & Hiromi are old friend too. You can see they've know each other and know their relation from the way they call each other. (P.S.)


By 1&2 , we could speculate the reason why Aiko go with Miyokichi at the beginning. She may knows both her friend has some feeling to each other so she gave up for a long time. She could accept Shin go with Hiromi (although it's still a little bitter). She won't try to stop them, but still sometimes wants to do some petty actions to Shin since Shin has not go with Hiromi yet.

But when Shin decide to go with Noe, she could not accept that because that makes her decision would be totally meaningless. And that's why she suddenly confess her feelings to Shin in ep 7.


I think that could deduced to Hiromi's situation. If Aiko is the one, Hiromi won't stop them or confess her feeling because she knows them, both are her friends, and there's obstacle between Shin and her. She could accept them more and be less jealous than she's in the original show. But it still hard to say what will she do because sometimes emotion is hard to control, especially strong emotion like love. I think she will still do something subconsciously, but less intensely.


P.S. Japanese people are sensitive to the distance between people. How they call another shows the distance between them , how long they've know each other, the difference of age ,or the social status. And they take it seriously.

The distance from far to close is like: last name > last name+ san> last name +kun>= last name +chian > first name+san> first name+kun(to male) > or = first name+ chian( to female) > or = first name. Sometimes it changes or there's some exceptions in special situation.

for example :
Shin calls Hiromi : Hiromi
Miyokichi calls Hiromi : Yuasa san

that imply the relation of Shin & Hiromi is closer than Miyokichi & Hiromi, though they're all classmates.

(oh, Hiromi call Shin "Shinichiro kun" is an exception)


Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I'm really impressed with how much you know, do you look that stuff up to post or do you remember which episode? I remember them happening but not which episode, I know if it was in the beginning, middle or end, that's all.
I did some study and analysis about True Tears before. I've read many articles/posts in different language and tried to write down my own interpretations in other place. That makes me could remember what happened in each episode.

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-07-07 at 21:08.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 15:01   Link #131
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshingo View Post
But when Shin decide to go with Noe, she could not accept that because that makes her decision would be totally meaningless. And that's why she suddenly confess her feelings to Shin in ep 7.
Is that why she did it? I never paid that much attention to Aiko and Shin's relationship in all honesty.

Quote:
ps1. Japanese people are sensitive to the distance between people. How they call another shows the distance between them , how long they've know each other, the difference of age ,or the social status. And they take it seriously.

The distance from far to close is like: last name > last name+ san> last name +kun>= last name +chian > first name+san> first name+kun(to male) = first name+ chian( to female) ?= first name. Sometimes it changes or there's some exepction in special situation.

for example :
Shin calls Hiromi : Hiromi
Miyokichi calls Hiromi : Yuasa san

that imply the distance between Shin & Hiromi is more closer than Miyokichi & Hiromi, though they're all classmates.

(oh, Hiromi call Shin "Shinichiro kun" is an exepction)
Yup, I am well versed in honorifics and such. I've been watching anime for years, lol. But I think -kun is more familiar than -san. So Hiromi addresses Shin with respect and familiarity. However, she does it more to distance herself from him I think.


Quote:
I did some study and analysis about True Tears before. I've read many articles/posts in different language and tried to write down my own interpretations in other place. That makes me could remember what happened in each episode.
Is that why? Haha. I wish I could go else where and talk about it. Well, I think this is enough anyway, especially with what you've brought to the table.


What other romance animes have you watched? Are you watching any now?
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 15:51   Link #132
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

Yup, I am well versed in honorifics and such. I've been watching anime for years, lol. But I think -kun is more familiar than -san. So Hiromi addresses Shin with respect and familiarity. However, she does it more to distance herself from him I think.
I think it's also an interesting part of Hiromi.

Hiromi and Shin has known each other for a long time, actually she could call Shin his name directly. Then why she add kun ?

1. To others, that shows she's a well-mannered girl.

2. To herself, there's maybe more familiarity in it than directly calling his name, because that's the way she called him from childhood. In Drama CD, even they've go with each other, she still calls Shin "Shininichiro-kun". It's a little like sometimes a wife would call her husband "Mr. xxx", but it does not means they're distance


Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What other romance animes have you watched? Are you watching any now?
There's some I remember :

clover's heart
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
toradora (the scriptwriter is the same in True Tears)
Kimi ni Todoke
ef – a tale of memories
clannad
H2O
sola (the singer of OP/ED is the same singer of True Tears' ED)


Now...amagami ?(dunno it's good or not, keep watching)
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 13:34   Link #133
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Someone asked me some questions about drama cd and epilogue, so I decide to write down my thought here to discuss it public. I have to say sorry first that my English is not good enough, the following part may look a little weird...orz
.

The timeline of drama cd is from Shin started to go on with Hiromi at that night to the spring the new semester begins. It is not the story after Noe’s final tears, but a story tells us what happened before the last scenes in ep 13. There are three small stories “Hiromi’s situation”, “When the snow melt” “Fly in the sky one day”, each story is the after story of the 3 heroine. I think it’s easy to see which title is for which heroine XD



Although the order of the 3 stories is Hiromi->Aiko->Noe, I want to introduce Noe’s part first.

Spoiler for Noe's story in drama cd:




I think this story shows how Noe get along with others before. She is kind, pure, innocent, but she has some problem to get alone with others. Her way to others is too directly, without thinking, and a little aggressive, that make her hard to make friends with others. She didn’t care about what others actually think about, only see others in her point of view in the beginning. That makes she will hurt others inadvertently and it will also hurts her back. Only people with patient and sympathetic like Shinichiro/Hitomi/Sakurako could accept her from the beginning. Of course she is innocent, but she still has to be responsible for her actions(part of). Just like her curse to others, Japanese say if someone curse the other, the curse will return back to him. I think it’s also like the relation of people.

She didn't really know what's the problem with her actions, but only was afraid to get hurt and hurt others, and shelled herself then. When she started to shell herself and run away from others, she also lose the ability to cry. Her mind stopped to grow up from that time , that makes her emotion is not complete.

I think the meaning of “fly”to Noe is to face other/be related with others, regain her emotion. Therefore actually she is also the one that cannot fly in True Tears in the beginning. She may also feel there's something wrong about her, so she wants someone could bring her to the sky one day. But meeting with Shinichiro changes her life. Just like she makes Shinichiro has confidence to face what he really want to do, Shinichiro also give her strength to grow up and face her own problem. She treat Shinichiro as the chicken in the beginning, but the feelings to Shinichiro turn to love at last. ( There's an interesting things that her actions and expression like Hiromi's more and more...) She starts to notice what the others are thinking about. And the more important is, she finally knows there’s not only sorrow or pain to have relation with others, but also gain in the relation with others. I think that's the "wing" she get from Shinichiro.

I don’t think it would be better to Noe if Shinichiro goes on with her. Her mind and emotion are not prepared at that time, and she would not learn as much as she’s in current situation. I’m glad now she has courage to face others and makes friends with others. Even her brother leaves her, they still care about each other, and now she has the ability to face the future independently. Her new friends are also good and care about her. ( the way they get alone with each other is really interesting XD) I don't think she lose everthing if Shin doesn't not go with her, and that's why i said there's more in her final tears.

Noe regain her emotion ,step forward ,and is able to fly finally.

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-08-05 at 12:18.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 20:27   Link #134
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Really late in replying, but I just wanted to say thanks to you, pdshingo, for your summary and thoughtful analysis. I definitely shared your interpretation of the story when I watched the show and listened to the Drama CD. I think you're right on in your observations.

I think the idea of "being able to fly" has a lot to do with being able to face reality and look to the future. Put in the reverse sense, I guess you could say it's about not being tied down, and stuck to the ground. Noe's story throughout True Tears, and cemented in the Drama CD, delivers on this point. In fact, I think you could easily argue that all of the stories in this show are based on this same concept; moving past the things that hinder us, and finally being able to fly and face tomorrow.

So anyway, thanks for the thoughts. If you do feel like taking the time at some point to give your thoughts about the other two Drama CD tracks, I'd definitely be interested to read it.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 08:17   Link #135
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Thank you for your compliment , I have to say sorry for late reply because I think my thought about Aiko’s drama cd is a little weak. I’m still thinking how to make it look better but now i don’t have much time orz


There’s Aiko’s drama cd tranlasation on youtube, so i’ll skip the introdoctioin part.

Many say Aiko isn’t important in True Tears, but if we could understand the meaning of this story from Noe’s story and the chicken picturebook, maybe we could say True tears is not only a love story, but also a story about how one relation to affect the surround people, and makes them to face their own problems and step forward. Thus, I think the topic of Aiko’s story is not about how she related with Shinichiro or Shinichiro would choose whom, but is about how she faces her emotion to Shinichiro and Miyokuchi.

After the failed confession to Shinichiro, Aiko decides to face the fact and graduate from Shinichiro and rebuild the relation with Miyokuchi. But there’s still some obstacles between them. Aiko’s betrayal hurts both of them. She feels guilty about giving her first kiss to Shinichiro, and Miyokuchi ’s behavior that avoid to talk about Shinichiro hurt her more. So even they’re still keep friendly relation, there’s still gap between them. She found herself is sad about Shinichiro’s decline, but actually what makes her feel more pain is her betrayal to Miyokuchi and losing him. She found that she already put Miyokuchi at a special position in her heart but she didn't notice it before. Therefore Miyokuchi’s attitude that looks like hold off something will looks like some kind of blame to her that make her feel more pain. But then she knows even Miyokuchi could not read all her heart, his actions all is for her. At last, Aiko has courage to confess all she wants to say and takes the initiative to recover their relation. She ask Shichiro to be the witness again and ask Miyokuchi to be seeding with her, because Shichiro is the beginning of their relation. Finally, Miyokuchi and Aiko could face each other again and pass the trial named “Shinichro”, rebuild a more stable relation between them. When the snow melt, They get their real “first-kiss”. I think people who like them would like to see this ending.

I think Aiko & Miyokuchi’s story is the another realistic possible ending of Shinichiro & Hiromi’s story. Time goes by without waiting. Opportunity will be gone if you don’t take the actions at the right time. But it does not mean no other chance to find another one who loves you. Miyokuchi’s sincerely and noble acts finally touched Aiko’s heart and get reward. If Jun is like Miyokuchi or without that accident, maybe Shinichiro and Hiromi would lose their chance forever. Besides, I think there are some common part in Aiko/Hiromi. we could understand one character more from understanding another character.They just like mirror of each other.

And I have to say that the pattern of her drama cd story is a little like Shin & Hiromi’s story in original show. Although Miyokuchi cares about Aiko, he still cannot read all girl’s subtle emotion, and hurt the girl he likes inadvertently. Aiko actually likes Miyokuchi, but she keeps something that makes her could not face Miyokuchi. At last Aiko confess that she kissed Shinichiro and said “I’ will wait”, it is just like Hiromi’s word in ep13. And the bgm is 一陣の風 ->そのままの僕で->溢れ出る、気持ち, just like the main theme of Shin & Hiromi. XD

Oh, forget to say one thing : poor Shinichiro, get kissed from a male lol

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-08-05 at 01:23.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 13:34   Link #136
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Awesome, so awesome. I can't express how thankful I am. This drama CD really does add a lot to the story and it'll never make it outside of Japan, so thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshingo View Post
I don’t think it would be better to Noe if Shinichiro goes on with her. Her mind and emotion are not prepared at that time, and she would not learn as much as she’s in current situation. I’m glad now she has courage to face others and makes friends with others. Even her brother leaves her, they still care about each other, and now she has the ability to face the future independently. Her new friends are also good and care about her. ( the way they get alone with each other is really interesting XD) I don't think she lose everthing if Shin doesn't not go with her, and that's why i said there's more in her final tears.
I agree, Shin being with Hiromi was best. I think Noe is stronger than Hiromi in regards to being alone. But Noe's experience with Shin taught her that having friends and companions is worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshingo View Post
There’s Aiko’s drama cd tranlasation on youtube, so i’ll skip the introdoctioin part.
The guy used white text without a border on the video and I can't read it.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 08:00   Link #137
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Because Hiromi’s story is a little subtle and strange, It's a little hard just introduce it. I think making the translation of it maybe will be better. Subtitles in http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90581849088011 helps me a lot. I’ve already tried to keep the meaning of each sentence. But my Japanese and English is not well enough, I could not translate very precisely and translate all the the subtle tone in oral speaking or subtle part in Japanese language. (and please forgive me my poor grammar /phrase ...orz)


In the following stroy, Hiromi: (xxx) mean what Hiromi is thinking in mind but not tell others.

Spoiler for Hiromi's story in drama cd:

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-09-04 at 19:29.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 13:55   Link #138
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
That's all for Hiromi? Aww...I was hoping for a little more about her and Shinichiriou. It was still good though. I too want to know what happened in the little bus stop.

Thanks a lot for all of this. It is greatly appreciated.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 22:58   Link #139
woodearth
Ramen Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Thanks pdshingo for the translation. I think you did a great job.

Reading the last few lines made me understand why they show a view of the mountains at the end of the 3 minute epilogue. It felt kinda of random when I first saw that scene.
__________________
MyAnimeList
ラーメンは文化!
woodearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-26, 13:05   Link #140
pdshingo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taiwan
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to pdshingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshingo View Post
Because Hiromi’s story is a little subtle and strange, It's a little hard just introduce it. I think making the translation of it maybe will be better. Subtitles in http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90581849088011 helps me a lot. I’ve already tried to keep the meaning of each sentence. But my Japanese and English is not well enough, I could not translate very precisely and translate all the the subtle tone in oral speaking or subtle part in Japanese language. (and please forgive me my poor grammar /phrase ...orz)

Spoiler for Hiromi's story in drama cd:

Hiromi’s drama CD story would look strange at first time. Many are disappointed with her drama cd. It’s not the love love story with Shinichiro as expected. It looks not even a story but just some fragments of her life. But just as Hiromi’s behaviors in the original show, I have to say this is the most complicated story of the 3 drama CD story.

Some said Hiromi only consider herself and never think of others. That’s not truth. Actually she is always sensitive to people surround her. Hiromi’s CV said Hiromi’s good at observating people surround her, and decide what position she should be with others. Why she keep distance and didn’t ask help from Shinichiro and his father, why she decide to leave Shinichiro’s home, those are all because she think it would be better for Shinichiro. And although she’ jealous of Noe, she never try to undermine Noe and Shinichiro’s relation before Shinichiro running after her. Actually she’s too sensitive to Shinichiro’s every move, that makes her sometimes overreact. ( But even so, she never try to force Shinichiro to do anything. )

In drama CD, we can also see she notice the captain is not in mood and Tomoyo is not as usual, care about them and encourage Tomoyo. (And her questions to Tomoyo also shows her feelings when she's with Shinichiro xd) She also try to improve the relation with Shin’ mom. She said she wants to learn how to wear furisode is just because she wants to wear it by herself. I don’t think she tell all the truth :P Remember that the festival is totally a disaster to her, isn't it? Therefore, I think part of reason is because she also wants to earn Shinichiro’s mother’s admitting. Hiromi lost her family and seek for it. Her feeling to Shinichiro is not only lover’s love, but there’s also some family affection in it. I think she dream to be Shinichiro’s wife. Her effort get paid. Now Shinichiro’s mom treat her as daughter-in-law. ( And that’s what she hold off when she tell Shinichiro what happened between Shin’s mom and her...:P )

And the most important thing is how she get alone with Shinichiro now. In original story, her only problem she has to face is her feeling to Shinichirio. Now she get what she wants, but If she cannot support and understand Shinichiro or still is jealous of Noe, their relation would not last very long. Even they’re together finally, they cannot get happiness in this situation. But I think what Hiromi did in drama CD is very impressive.

We can now she could face Noe and Shinichiro’s relation and talk about the it and the festival with Shinichiro normally. She’s still a little anxious,but her feeling to Noe is a little changed. She try to think what if she’s Noe, try to understand what Noe see and what Noe think, and by that to try to understand what Noe see on Shinichiro. Hiromi is totally different from Noe. When they both see with the same direction, what Hiromi see is the skyline, but what Noe see is the blue sky. However, although Hiromi maybe could never fully understand Noe, what’s the feeling when a woman fall in love, what’s the pain when a woman love a man not allowed by herself, that she could understand. By that she recovered the scene Shinichiro let Noe see the picture book precisely. (really awsome...)

She didn’t use the “imagination from true heart” or “woman’s intuition”, she just can feel the common feeling of “woman”. There are many female workers in the staff of True Tears, including the scriptwriter. Hiromi’s behaviors such as lying to friend who she really like, trying to test the feeling of the man she likes, helping wearing the scarf to the man she likes( and basketball club...), those are all their experience. If Noe represent the story meaning, then Hiromi represent the (eastern ?) “woman” in this story. Hiromi has many good and bad part of real woman, and we can also see there are many common emotions and behaviors on Hiromi, Aiko and Shin’s Mom. Even Noe maybe is not that “unique”. We could see Noe begins to lie to Shinichiro in ep 10, try to convince herself not to watch the dance but still cannot help to do so, said she won’t look the picture book, and her final smile on the face in ep13 is as complicated as Hiromi’s in ep1. Many (eastern ?) woman want to live like Noe when they were young, but when they grow up and fall in love, their behaviors would be more and more like Hiromi. All woman are connected together, I think that’s why Hiromi could know what’s Tomoyo’s feeling, why Hiromi could change her feeling to Noe, and Shin’s mom could change her feeling to Hiromi.



And the most subtle part of this drama CD is Hiromi touch Shinichiro’s hand and say :
It must be...Raigomaru took the flight undoubtedly.
It’s not because he want to be the first one to fly,
It's not because the others already took flight then he has to to fly,
Not for the glory, nor for setting the record,
It must be...must be.... he did this only for himself......

If you ever notice the scene in ep13, when Shinichiro look Noe leave, or tried to find Hiromi, he didn’t take his picture book. And from the previous talk between Shinichiro and Hiromi in drama cd, we could see Hiromi didn’t know much about the detail of how Shinichiro let Noe see his picture book. I think Hiromi never had chance to know the new ending of chicken story at that time. Shinichiro won’t tell her too much about this because this chicken story is for Noe and he does’t want to make Hiromi unhappy. But now Hiromi has the insight to see Shinichiro ’s picture book real meaning and could specular the real ending of this story. Many say even Shinichiro go on with Hiromi, Hiromi won’t know the meaning of Shinichiro ’s drawing, and could not support Shinichiro as Noe. I think they underestimate Hiromi’s real strength. Hiromi cannot participate the drawing is because Shin has no confidence to show these to his friends and they keep distance to each other at that time, but that does not imply Hirmoi didn’t have the ability to know the meaning of Shinichiro ’s story.

By understanding Noe’s feeling, Hiromi find out the meaning of Shinichiro’s picture book. And BGM imply she recall the memory of the festival day. Why she cried at last ? I think it’s the scene she tried to feel what’s Noe’s feeling to see Shinichiro’s dance. Her tears is for Noe’s feeling, and part of her feeling to this relation. She may think there’s some characteristic of Noe that she could never have, admire Noe and is a little anxious, so she asked “there’s only one Noe, right ?”. But there’s also something that Hiromi has that Noe could not take away. There’s also only one Yuasa Hiromi in this world. ( And i think that also imply she want to tell Shinichiro “Please treasure me” indirectly. )

Is Noe the only one can fly ? I don’t think so. Everyone in this show could face their problem and move forward to future in the end. Hiromi’s drama cd shows her relations with people surround her. Now she handle everything very well and on her way to future. Hope they could find their own happiness.

p.s I think Shinichiro already lose his best chance to dump Hiromi, now Hiromi could support his drawing ,family, and his mom is Hiromi’s alliance..."team play" lol


================================================== =======
In this show, my favorite character is Hiromi. I like her is not because she is pitiful, insecure or has beautiful look, but is because I can see her inner-strength , understand her complicated feelings, and her micro expression always catches my eye. She said she cannot do like Noe. That’s not imply she’s weak. She knows her fear but still could face Shinchiro finally and made the decision let him go, that’s courage. There’s no courage without fear. Shinichiro and Noe encouraged each other, but she only had herself. She maybe cannot face her feeling at the beginning, but she never run away from reality and guilty. She’s just like the sea of Japan she likes. She is gray, her emotions is deep and hard to control. But it also shows her feeling is real and strong. She has light side and dark side, soft with determination, always shows the opposite characteristics on her. And that’s Yuasa Hiromi.

Last edited by pdshingo; 2010-09-09 at 00:51.
pdshingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.