AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-04, 00:47   Link #181
Blueberri
♫♪►♂♥♀◄

Going to college this September... A mix of emotions cause I'm not sure what to expect.
Blueberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 13:36   Link #182
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Oh lord don't get me started

The Colleges in Belgium are a nightmare.
There is 0 tolerance for any remarks or feedback from students.
The schools are still living in the middle ages, where it still believes that "Teacher = Position granted to them by god, which equals a student to a peasant plowing through shit".

I do not like the Belgian Education system.

Last edited by Kaze; 2010-08-09 at 06:56.
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 17:42   Link #183
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I am so excited to start college in September! !!
Megaa excitement ~ :3

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 15:51   Link #184
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I wanted to be an engineer/scientist but I totally suck at Maths. So I ended up studying something called management.
Dude, i managed to get a 2.2 HONS Degree in Mechncial Engineering and a pg.dip in design, without any effort and believe me my maths grade at school were really bad, i'm not joking, i got a F in my final year. You just need to understand the principles, maths nowadays is done or rechecked by the maths departments anyway. And to be honest, once you see why and how to apply equations to solve problems, it open up gates in you head. Maths taught at school are imo pointless, because they do not relate to anything most of the time. But once you start a engineering or science course it will all makes sense.
If you want to go into a science or engineering sector, you just need to put some passion into it and you will get at least a 2.2, and with a bit effort a 1st. Honestly if you are really interested in doing something, go for it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 16:44   Link #185
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Going to start my first year of college at the end of this month. Not sure if I'm too excited except I finally get to choose the courses I want (consisted of Japanese 1, two math classes, PE, and either beginner piano or drawing)

I actually already went to the summer session of my college. There was a lot of works (painful lol). The worst thing is probably the food, which has too much oil and usually no rice (gained 10 pounds in 5 weeks, so it looks like I will get way beyond the freshman 15 thing in the fall...hope not).

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 12:21   Link #186
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
I actually already went to the summer session of my college. There was a lot of works (painful lol). The worst thing is probably the food, which has too much oil and usually no rice (gained 10 pounds in 5 weeks, so it looks like I will get way beyond the freshman 15 thing in the fall...hope not).
Do you have any means to cook your own food during freshman year?
I'm lucky enough to have access to an oven and grill and stuff so I'm planning on eating out rarely. Except for the international restaurants, like the Russian one right outside of campus. And Chinatown. XD
Old 2010-08-08, 12:26   Link #187
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Do you have any means to cook your own food during freshman year?
I'm lucky enough to have access to an oven and grill and stuff so I'm planning on eating out rarely. Except for the international restaurants, like the Russian one right outside of campus. And Chinatown. XD
I don't think I have any mean to cook foods in the dorm. Plus, I have to pay for dining plan first year anyway, so it's a waste not to use it.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 17:23   Link #188
Kafriel
Senior Guest

We don't have dorms, but the institution's got a dining hall...dunno what I'd do without that!
Quote:
You just need to understand the principles, maths nowadays is done or rechecked by the maths departments anyway. And to be honest, once you see why and how to apply equations to solve problems, it open up gates in you head. Maths taught at school are imo pointless, because they do not relate to anything most of the time. But once you start a engineering or science course it will all makes sense.
Gotta disagree with the math part...going into system transfer and analysis can be a bitch to understand and takes a rough hour to solve even if you know what you're doing. Plus, the professors that have these kinds of courses tend to be insane - I got failed with 2/10, went to his office to find out why, and he said "you don't have the same results that I do". Nevermind the tons of proper theory used to get these results, he had made a mistake in a mere 1st grade equation and MY results were actually right! Then the conversation went from borderline crazy to batshit insane, so I gave up I'll be seeing him real soon...one month from now >_<

EDIT: since I had posted my progress last year at about the same time, my results got me 9/15 courses passed, out of which I aspire to pass another 3, thus enabling me the option of 55 (final) hours in the semester to come. Hopefully, things will go just as planned...
Old 2010-08-08, 20:29   Link #189
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I start school on August 23.

I am both excited and terrified.

Excited because I've been busting my balls for years now trying to get back into school, so I can learn enough to get a real job, a real career that doesn't involve answering telephones and listening to idiots scream and yell obscenities.

Scared because I'm... still in the homeless shelter. This place is not conducive to study. I already don't get enough sleep and what little I get is not restful. The place is willing to do things to accommodate my efforts to improve my income (education), but I don't think they can do much more than they have. I have no privacy. It's very loud all the time. I'm under such an enormous cloud of stress, I'm not sure I'll do very well in class.

But financial aid is my only hope of becoming not homeless, so I'm risking it to get enough in student loans, grants, assistance programs and whatnot, combined with my part-time job, to be able to afford living on my own. I don't know if this is possible, though.

I really don't want to drop my classes and delay school another year or two. But if I can't get enough money in aid, I may not have a choice other than failing.
Old 2010-08-08, 20:34   Link #190
Lio
Presence

^ There's always the libraries. Most universities have study areas open 24 hours a day.

I often find students at my university staying overnight in one of these areas. My guess is that they're in a similar situation.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 20:40   Link #191
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Nope, Berkeley City College's library closes at 8pm; also, I have to be back at the shelter before 9pm curfew, and even if I get it approved, the buses will stop running around 11pm.

Plus I still have to get up at 5:30am or I won't get to take a shower, wash my hair or shave my legs, which is just not happening. I cannot exist without doing those three things every day.

The study issue worries me less than the stress/no privacy/lack of sleep issue.
Old 2010-08-08, 20:42   Link #192
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
I often find students at my university staying overnight in one of these areas. My guess is that they're in a similar situation.
Really? My college doesn't allow students to stay overnight in the libraries. They get kicked out when the buildings close down for the night, and we lock up to keep anybody who wants to try and get in out.
Old 2010-08-08, 20:47   Link #193
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Nope, Berkeley City College's library closes at 8pm; also, I have to be back at the shelter before 9pm curfew, and even if I get it approved, the buses will stop running around 11pm.

Plus I still have to get up at 5:30am or I won't get to take a shower, wash my hair or shave my legs, which is just not happening. I cannot exist without doing those three things every day.

The study issue worries me less than the stress/no privacy/lack of sleep issue.
Damn, I feel for you. Nothing I can do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Really? My college doesn't allow students to stay overnight in the libraries. They get kicked out when the buildings close down for the night, and we lock up to keep anybody who wants to try and get in out.
Yep, we've got buildings open 24 hours a day. Things are pretty secure here. But then again this is Canada. I can understand why they operate like that in the US.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 21:33   Link #194
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
Damn, I feel for you. Nothing I can do here.

Yep, we've got buildings open 24 hours a day. Things are pretty secure here. But then again this is Canada. I can understand why they operate like that in the US.
I think it really varies on the college and the city... the universities I attended had facilities open 24/7 except holidays... as did many of the university attended by my friends.
Old 2010-08-08, 21:46   Link #195
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I start orientation for my MBA program tomorrow... ugh. Two weeks of orientation? What the hell can they orient me to in two weeks? Some people get their MBAs in two weeks from degree farms.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 21:48   Link #196
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
The universities allow students to stay 24 hours in Australia. All student cards are given after hours access for their department facilities, plus one of the library sections at the uni I used to go to was designed to be open 24 hours.
Old 2010-08-08, 23:12   Link #197
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I start school on September 1st and my sister is starting two days before me... Believe me, those Management textbooks are really expensive. Its like $200 a piece,but I won't be bring them to school. I'm scanning them into PDF and bring the chapters I need on my eBook reader (iPad).

All the courses this semester has to do with my major and I might take another one to improve my chances in getting a job.
Old 2010-08-09, 02:23   Link #198
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, I never really learned the library schedule...but nobody really uses it at night. Everyone studies after breakfast/lunch so it's empty by afternoon
Old 2010-08-09, 14:45   Link #199
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Gotta disagree with the math part...going into system transfer and analysis can be a bitch to understand and takes a rough hour to solve even if you know what you're doing. Plus, the professors that have these kinds of courses tend to be insane - I got failed with 2/10, went to his office to find out why, and he said "you don't have the same results that I do". Nevermind the tons of proper theory used to get these results, he had made a mistake in a mere 1st grade equation and MY results were actually right! Then the conversation went from borderline crazy to batshit insane, so I gave up I'll be seeing him real soon...one month from now >_<

EDIT: since I had posted my progress last year at about the same time, my results got me 9/15 courses passed, out of which I aspire to pass another 3, thus enabling me the option of 55 (final) hours in the semester to come. Hopefully, things will go just as planned...
I guess the lectureres also play a big role, how good or bad one can do in a course. When me and a couple of other guys had some trouble doing some calculation on vibration, our lecturer showed us how to use mathcad and FEA software in a couple of tutorial sessions, to solve the most of the problems. However our math lecturer just told us to open a book and solve problem page XXX to YYY for new week, i barely made through that elective module.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 14:59   Link #200
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hmm, I never really learned the library schedule...but nobody really uses it at night. Everyone studies after breakfast/lunch so it's empty by afternoon
I only learned the library schedule because I worked there during the year. But something I always noticed was that with us, the place got very crowded around the time of exams. The rest of the time it had some traffic, but it was never very busy.